Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Dating & Men

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here's a clip I made when I was last speed dating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I went once and didn't enjoy it.  Like others have said; women seem to go in groups while men go alone.  The event I was at had 8 women - one group of 5 and one group of 3.  The group of 5 went into a scrum during the break and straight after the event too.  the group of 3 went smoking.  Might have been my fugliness, but I didn't get much out of it.  Seemed to get nothing but disinterest and one line replies from most of the women, except for the one that spent the whole time ranting about the 54 year old farmer who had lied and said he was 30 when he was booking.  I had passed up seeing a buddy's gig to go, so was very disappointed.  

Got a few texts from the organiser over the next few years about other events but was always busy/working.  I may have just had a bad experience and would consider giving it a go again, but wouldn't go out of my way to do it.
    Oh, and you probably won't get many useful replies here.  Try the Gentlemen's Club forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

I went once and didn't enjoy it.  Like others have said; women seem to go in groups while men go alone.  The event I was at had 8 women - one group of 5 and one group of 3.  The group of 5 went into a scrum during the break and straight after the event too.  the group of 3 went smoking.  Might have been my fugliness, but I didn't get much out of it.  Seemed to get nothing but disinterest and one line replies from most of the women, except for the one that spent the whole time ranting about the 54 year old farmer who had lied and said he was 30 when he was booking.  I had passed up seeing a buddy's gig to go, so was very disappointed.  

Got a few texts from the organiser over the next few years about other events but was always busy/working.  I may have just had a bad experience and would consider giving it a go again, but wouldn't go out of my way to do it.
    Oh, and you probably won't get many useful replies here.  Try the Gentlemen's Club forum...

Sorry to hear you had such a crap experience. I never realised it was like that but after reading some of the responses, I can see how intimidating it can be. I never saw the harm in going out with a group of mates, but seeing it from another aspect is quite sobering. Wondering why men just don't take the same approach - head in as a group and sure if nothing comes from the event, go on the piss afterwards?

As for the Gentlemen's Club forum - thanks for the heads up but I'll say nothing for fear of angering the trolls again.

Best of luck in any case and I'd consider looking at that event you went to before but try getting a few mates together....

Take care

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

As a man, I think you'd have to be mental to go to one. It's all been listed here but hearing some first hand accounts from friends, no thanks.

There was one sorta success story from these that I heard of. Girl asks lad to go along to one with her "cos if no-one else matches us, we can at least match each other and not be embarrassed!" I'm going to their wedding in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

As a man, I think you'd have to be mental to go to one. It's all been listed here but hearing some first hand accounts from friends, no thanks.

Looks like a lot of others agree with you

http://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/03/01/4135659-men-too-shy-to-face-20-ballydehob-ladies/

Of course it is a case of the "Men too shy". Rather than the situation itself being shite

Nice one, call the men cowards too
    THE fairer sex is obviously the braver sex too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

but not one man had the gumption to register.

A bit of gumption is why men don't go to those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Looks like a lot of others agree with you

http://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/03/01/4135659-men-too-shy-to-face-20-ballydehob-ladies/

Of course it is a case of the "Men too shy". Rather than the situation itself being shite

Nice one, call the men cowards too

They can start calling the men cowardly when women start doing all the approaching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

I have never seen anyone like Eva Mendes at speed dating!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wondering why men just don't take the same approach - head in as a group and sure if nothing comes from the event, go on the piss afterwards?

At first glance, that's what most lads do, without the organisational aspect.

Is suspect a lot of fellas would be morto resorting to speed dating or online dating, might be seen by some as a sort of failure to engage in 'normal' ways of meeting females.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

biko wrote: »
    Here's a clip I made when I was last speed dating

Yer man from Foil Arms and Hog.

• Advertisement

I would guess that some avoid it for the same reason some avoid/don't like online dating, too many ladies just doing it for an ego boost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Is suspect a lot of fellas would be morto resorting to speed dating or online dating, might be seen by some as a sort of failure to engage in 'normal' ways of meeting females.
    Quite the opposite. There are loads using online dating. In the US 27% of the 18-24 age group have used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sorry to hear you had such a crap experience. I never realised it was like that but after reading some of the responses, I can see how intimidating it can be. I never saw the harm in going out with a group of mates, but seeing it from another aspect is quite sobering. Wondering why men just don't take the same approach - head in as a group and sure if nothing comes from the event, go on the piss afterwards?

As for the Gentlemen's Club forum - thanks for the heads up but I'll say nothing for fear of angering the trolls again.

Best of luck in any case and I'd consider looking at that event you went to before but try getting a few mates together....

Take care

Going to these events with friends is pointless, as you'll end up "locking youself" in the comfort of talking to the people you already know. One of the reasons, I guess, for guys not to go is that we know that women go in groups; we are very aware that during breaks and afterwards we'd be stuck chatting with other guys we don't know, as the women retreat to their tightly locked groups.

Another reason men don't go in groups is that the "lad pack" is going to hurt your chances as it is indeed intimidating; let's say you were at one of these singles events as a participant; You "connect" with a guy, and after closing the evening he asks if you'd like to go to a different bar/pub/club for a drink - How many chances there would be for you to agree if he was alone versus him being with another 2-3 guys?

In general, however, the men's reluctance to attend varies and might have cultural reasons: it's not the same situation everywhere; I've been to singles events in Italy, and down there it's absurdly hard to get women to go, while men's places fill up within hours of the announcement. The bad thing is that the organizers often let the event run anyway to grab the money, so you'll find yourself in a bar with like 30 guys and 5 ladies...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Love speed dating.

Met a woman that way once, brought her home and shagged her for 11.3 seconds.

She wasn't all that impressed with my love of speed sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Honestly from what I see now online "dating" is how everyone meets women, it's no longer taboo! Speed dating though, no need for it any more with Tinder etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Something I'd love to try but I'm happily married for 20 years - would be a great way to work on your flirting and chat up techniques. I would go with zero expectations.

Also with the wisdom of hindsight, I would love to have some woman treat me with disdain - I'd put her in her place in a way I wasn't able to when I was in my 20s !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I did it before, a few times actually it's a good laugh but go in with your expectations very low of meeting someone.

The ladies do go in packs, 5 or 6 strong sometimes and use it as the start of a night out in my experience. 1 because they want to be there, 4 or 5 no interest and there for the moral support.

There are about 15 dates in the evening, so you could be talking to one girl, really like her, say yes on your card, next girl, like her too so another yes.

Now, next day, a group of friends you weren't 100% sure we're there together, sit down and review their matches. So I said yes to 3 out of the 3 or whatever, because they all genuinely seemed nice and you wouldn't mind an hour with them to talk properly, they see this and think I'm just out to pull anyone and everyone. Of course, you can't go out with 3 good friends so what happens? Nothing. Nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

professore wrote: »

Also with the wisdom of hindsight, I would love to have some woman treat me with disdain - I'd put her in her place in a way I wasn't able to when I was in my 20s !

Wow!! You sound like you have some issues

That is certainly an outdated attitude towards online dating. It's an unpleasant, superficial platform, but it's very popular these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Wow!! You sound like you have some issues
    Nah just talking about a small minority. Most women are grand.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    Nah just talking about a small minority. Most women are grand.

Fair enough. It kinda came across like you had a vendetta or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Has anyone ever had any "success" from speed dating? Serious relationship? Long-term? Marriage? etc

My guess is the success rate is low.

And you usually have to pay a fee.

I think you see now why men are slow to take it up. Women usually do it for the craic. It takes a lot of effort to impress most women, and 3 minutes of conversation usually doesn't do it.

I went to a few 12 years ago, married with two wonderful boys was my result. "Who dares wins", as the saying goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's true. I can barely get a word out of my mouth without someone jamming a cock and a stay-at-home lifestyle in it.

Errr... that's not how all that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Was just about to ask has any Boardsies got a long-term partner out of Speed-dating....

I'd love to try it out. I'd say it's great craic. I'd be straight over to the bar at the end. All of the mens :D

Edited to add, himself wouldn't be too pleased :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I was about to say you should Perse but don't you have a fella or am I thinking of somebody else?!?

I was about to say you should Perse but don't you have a fella or am I thinking of somebody else?!?

I do but contrary to my edit above he would actually be encouraging and ask to tag along :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

bmwguy wrote: »
    I did it before, a few times actually it's a good laugh but go in with your expectations very low of meeting someone.

The ladies do go in packs, 5 or 6 strong sometimes and use it as the start of a night out in my experience. 1 because they want to be there, 4 or 5 no interest and there for the moral support.

There are about 15 dates in the evening, so you could be talking to one girl, really like her, say yes on your card, next girl, like her too so another yes.

Now, next day, a group of friends you weren't 100% sure we're there together, sit down and review their matches. So I said yes to 3 out of the 3 or whatever, because they all genuinely seemed nice and you wouldn't mind an hour with them to talk properly, they see this and think I'm just out to pull anyone and everyone. Of course, you can't go out with 3 good friends so what happens? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I've gone once and I agree with everything you said. If I was still single I'd go at leAston once a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Speed dating of late = marriage, kids and new car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement