Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Dating & Men

Options

Comments

Wow, you're good :)

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenross - is that you?

you know what it takes to sell dating services????? brass baaawllls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I'd say many lads would panic at the thought, it takes some lads an age to get the courage to chat up one girl, let alone 7 or 8 in quick succession. Too much pressure for them and the chances of experiencing rejection are high.

If the woman is reasonably good looking and relatively nice she could sit and smile and not say a massive amount, make little effort to be entertaining or funny and just let the man do all the talking. A man could not do the same and be successful. Basically all the pressure is on the man to be funny, entertaining interesting etc. It all just seems like too much effort. I'm not surprised men aren't rushing out to speed dating nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Right, so you are posting adverts on Facebook for this and you are surprised that few men are responding to it

What man uses face book?

You might as well advertise the event at a salsa dance class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

red ears wrote: »
    If the woman is reasonably good looking and relatively nice she could sit and not say a massive amount, make little effort to be entertaining or funny and just let the man do all the talking. A man could not do the same and be successful. Basically all the pressure is on the man to be funny, entertaining interesting etc. It all just seems like too much effort. I'm not surprised men aren't rushing out to speed dating nights.

Jeeze. That really doesn't sound appealing, so I understand completely. I can talk for Ireland, so I probably bore fellas to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wait a second - you met all those Helens? :pac: What about Helen Hunt?

She was grand like, had a dead fish handshake, probably why her career stalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

red ears wrote: »
    If the woman is reasonably good looking and relatively nice she could sit and smile and not say a massive amount, make little effort to be entertaining or funny and just let the man do all the talking. A man could not do the same and be successful. Basically all the pressure is on the man to be funny, entertaining interesting etc. It all just seems like too much effort. I'm not surprised men aren't rushing out to speed dating nights.

Do you consider yourself reasonably good looking yet you find you need to make a lot of effort?

If you were, then you wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mollygreene

Specialun wrote: »
    will there be consent forms at the start. If I say hi and sit down I dont want to be accused of rape

You might want to try getting over yourself first.

Do you consider yourself reasonably good looking yet you find you need to make a lot of effort?

Neither. I'm only average looking and i don't make much effort at all.

Jeeze. That really doesn't sound appealing, so I understand completely. I can talk for Ireland, so I probably bore fellas to death.

well aoife that depends, we'll let you bore us to death talking all sorts if your top is just toight enuf!!

anyway see ya at the tables ;)

Some men would love that sort of thing but a lot wouldn't. Its good that you are a good talker that would go a long way in those sort of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Well, I'm a man, and I would kill myself before going to something like this. Sounds like an absolute nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Has anyone ever had any "success" from speed dating? Serious relationship? Long-term? Marriage? etc

My guess is the success rate is low.

And you usually have to pay a fee.

I think you see now why men are slow to take it up. Women usually do it for the craic. It takes a lot of effort to impress most women, and 3 minutes of conversation usually doesn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Speed dating has been passed out by speedier dating i.e. Tinder. A swipe is as fast as it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You wouldn't catch me dead at speed dating, its a horribly inequal way of meeting what is supposed to be your equal.

The OP is also a blatant advertisement, considering this is not the only place I've seen Aoife advertising Helens little event today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I actually think it sounds like great craic. After getting out of an 8 year relationship I became single in 2014 and did the tinder thing for a while. After months of Tinder I finally got a single date. There was no speed dating convenient for me in those months. Then, the tinder date went well and I never got to do the speed dating :( But I just thought face to face sounded like so much more fun than the tinder swiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Speed dating seems to be the kind of thing a group of women will do for a laugh. Not sure you'd get the same from guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It all seems too much like enhanced interrogation for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Trying to impress a woman is hard enough anyway without trying to do it in the space of 2 or 5 minutes. You'd be like a performing monkey going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RobertKK wrote: »
    It all seems too much like enhanced interrogation for the man.

tell me about waterboarding again? :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Has anyone ever had any "success" from speed dating? Serious relationship? Long-term? Marriage? etc

I think you see now why men are slow to take it up. Women usually do it for the craic. It takes a lot of effort to impress most women, and 3 minutes of conversation usually doesn't do it.

3 minutes is the perfect amount of time. Ask a few questions, tell a few jokes, flirt a bit and it's over. Making conversation for an hour is far more difficult for most people.
    It could be great fun but also it's going to be educational. Want to practice flirting? This is perfect. First impressions matter and this is a great way to find out how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

I said the same thing about internet dating and there are plenty of people I know who mate their partners online. None from speed dating though. I disagree on the 3 minute thing though - that quick initial judgement is the same that you'd give someone on a night out surely? I don't think there's really an ideal way to meet someone but yeah, it would be interesting to see the success rate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dunno if all the men are as put upon as people claim here. A old acquaintance of mine went, met three women from it; slept with them all and then immediately ghosted them.

If I was single, I'd avoid them like the plague. Not because I'd be butthurt about the gender angle, just that it seems like an extreme distillation of everything I hate about The Chat Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I just want to confirm that as a woman, I am constantly inundated with offers and attention. I never have to do a damn thing, and I am up to my tits in non stop sex and marriage proposals. That's the way it works, I swear.

to be honest I think the best thing would be to consult an expert in this area. Maybe a veteran who sees women as equals and not just sex objects, whilst simultaneously having an understanding on contemporary dating dynamics in terms of risk versus reward in the context on two consensual adults accepting an occasion for what it is...

maybe best to listen to the expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tgS1n7DQbY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm sure it could be enjoyable and may lead to later dates but 30 quid? Why would you pay that when you have Tinder for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

IME, very generally, men assess women on traits; women assess men on performance.

As a guy, if you can't 'perform' in the short time, you'll have a bad time (unless you've won the gene lottery). If you've gotten into your thirties and remain single, chances are you're not a born salesman. As above, it's intimidating as a solitary man to enter a room full of co-ordinated and high spirited women expecting you to wow them.
    I just want to confirm that as a woman, I am constantly inundated with offers and attention. I never have to do a damn thing, and I am up to my tits in non stop sex and marriage proposals. That's the way it works, I swear.

I KNEW IT!!

cantdecide wrote:
    I KNEW IT!!

It's true. I can barely get a word out of my mouth without someone jamming a cock and a stay-at-home lifestyle in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Im a man.

Ive done Tinder, pof and other dating sites.

Ive also chatted ladies up in bars being in my early thirties and dating before mobiles.

1. Whilst a girl on a night out may get approached by numerous men and see it as par for the course each one of those men likely thought about approaching her and worked up the courage. Many more thought about it and didnt.

2. This type of night would consist of ten performances in a row where you are expected to be witty, charming, good craic and treat loads of ladies you have zero interest of engaging with / nothing in common with with the same attentive rapture as the one or two max you will like else theyll be bitching about you, and mark it they will.

3. You cant bring your mates. Its a social event for girls. Its a solo event for lads.

4. There are much much much much easier and less stressful ways to meet someone than signing yourself up for what is a series of awkwardly painful experiences

Im an okay looking lad. Never had problems meeting ladies or getting dates. I could probably, if I was in top form, manage three or four rounds before id simply lose interest and run out of steam. It sounds positively exhausting and id have no energy to pretend after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's true. I can barely get a word out of my mouth without someone jamming a cock and a stay-at-home lifestyle in it.

Sounds like an average prison.

• Advertisement

Sounds like an average prison.

Prison is my pension plan. Women's prison, and me knowing how to tattoo AND eat carpet...?

Advertisement