Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

John would've been incapable of doing a Euro preview show 20 years ago. Not a hope now.. Enjoyed hearing Didi again though. Wish he was on more often

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Still Ill wrote: »
    John would've been incapable of doing a Euro preview show 20 years ago. Not a hope now.. Enjoyed hearing Didi again though. Wish he was on more often

John still speaks a lot of sense, albeit more generalisms vs specifics. He needs a foil to play off who has the detail. And not in a Ken ‘regurgitate a set of stats to suit my angle’ Early way, but bring some research of players John may not be familiar with to the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Coly5 wrote: »
    John still speaks a lot of sense, albeit more generalisms vs specifics. He needs a foil to play off who has the detail. And not in a Ken ‘regurgitate a set of stats to suit my angle’ Early way, but bring some research of players John may not be familiar with to the podcast

He’s just old and can’t use the internet to keep on top of news. Gilesy reads the paper to get the news. That’s a waste of time these days.

You either know your stuff or you don’t. Gilesy’s foils are lads like Dunphy who are as uninformed as he is. A young foil for giles is not going to work as he is too headstrong and cranky to work with some know it all young buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

One thing I think Dunphy deserves credit for is that he's currently one of the few media outlets that I can think of that has unionist contributors on. Now, fair enough, one of them is Billy Hutchinson, but it's still better than coverage elsewhere.

Finally listened to the latest Tomas Ryan one.

He has pinned all his hopes on the Indian variant now in terms of his previous misery prophecies for Ireland this year materialising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

glasso wrote: »

He has pinned all his hopes on the Indian variant now in terms of his previous misery prophecies for Ireland this year materialising.

You sound like a government spokesperson, put your head in the sand and hope it all blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Biggest reason I stopped listening to the Stand, enough misery in the world

Biggest reason I stopped listening to the Stand, enough misery in the world

You can stop posting so I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Dunphy was on Newstalk talking football. Said Pogba has never done it in a big match after getting man of the match against Germany and not to mention scoring a goal in a win of cup final. He really does talk nonsense when it comes to football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

You sound like a government spokesperson, put your head in the sand and hope it all blows over.

Disagreeing with the ISAG lunatics and their zero covid fear peddling BS is not the same as "putting your head in the sand". But you already know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Dunphy was on Newstalk talking football. Said Pogba has never done it in a big match after getting man of the match against Germany and not to mention scoring a goal in a win of cup final. He really does talk nonsense when it comes to football.

As far as I remember, he was man of the match in the last World Cup final for some newspapers!

Dunphy favourite type of player is the "honest pro" - usually some guy that he imagines that a limited player like he was himself could have been if he got the breaks.

i.e. he thinks that he could have been Kante for example and loves him as a result

It took him literally 10 years to admit that CR7 was any good and not a "spoofer"

That's the way Eamon's mind works:

- Watch a player once or twice
    - Make up your mind based on those couple of games
    - Keep that opinion for 10+ years regardless of their subsequent performances

Disagreeing with the ISAG lunatics and their zero covid fear peddling BS is not the same as "putting your head in the sand". But you already know that.

Thankfully, poor auld Tomas Ryan has been completely off with most of his doom prophecies for months now since vaccines started taking effect in Ireland

For some reason some miserable bastards still cling onto the fear-monger's every word :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Thankfully, poor auld Tomas Ryan has been completely off with most of his doom prophecies for months now since vaccines started taking effect in Ireland

For some reason some miserable bastards still cling onto the fear-monger's every word :confused:

Yeah, Eamonn himself used to hang on every word Thomas had to say but even he seems a little less interested in what Tomas has had to say on his last few appearances. That's how it sounded to me anyway, less of the "yes, yes" from Eamon :pac:

Klonker wrote: »
    Yeah, Eamonn himself used to hang on every word Thomas had to say but even he seems a little less interested in what Tomas has had to say on his last few appearances. That's how it sounded to me anyway, less of the "yes, yes" from Eamon :pac:

Eamo used to go on about how Ryan was proved correct in the past but has long given up that ghost

tbh since Eamo has gotten the jab himself to me it seems like he's less interested in Covid doom-mongering imo

Dunphy favourite type of player is the "honest pro" - usually some guy that he imagines that a limited player like he was himself could have been if he got the breaks.

i.e. he thinks that he could have been Kante for example and loves him as a result

It took him literally 10 years to admit that CR7 was any good and not a "spoofer"

He does love a good swoon over James Milner alright.

Haven't listened to a single Covid podcast at all. I've just no interest in hearing about it anymore. Dunno why anyone would put themselves through it. You hear more than enough about it even if you're actively trying to avoid it. I'll just follow the guidelines and get vaccinated when I get called for it. Thankfully things have improved hugely since the rollout has been ramped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

This was the amazing interview. I also enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

yes just Didi Hamann

it was so instantly forgettable that I mistakenly thought that Giles might have been on it.

thought that it was really terrible in comparison to ones from others like "The totally football show" and even OTB.

Let me guess

“Never write off the Germans”

“The English are over hyped “

“The Dutch are all in fighting within the camp”

“The Italians make defending an art “

“Ronaldo is Portugal’s main man”

“Scotland will be like ireland in years gone by”

“Don’t write off <insert relatively obscure Eastern European team> as dark horses”

Have I missed any cliches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Tomas Ryan isn't a doom merchant. He just explains how viruses work.

Where are the quotes of where what he said was actually wrong?

• Advertisement

kowloonkev wrote: »

from January this year (after the Christmas increase in cases Ireland - which he didn't predict the scale of anywhere near by the way) he kept pushing out the dates on his projections every podcast all the way out to next Christmas for people being together in different household - every podcast it was a date further out in the future. just changed the date every episode and never mentioned what he was changing or why - it was ridiculous in its randomness and inconsistency.

he fails to properly take account of the effect of the population being vaccinated on the number of deaths and cases. he was still pushing for a zero covid type scenario even as the deaths were basically disappearing as the people who could die from Covid were vaccinated.

he was actually still asking for a 2km radius lockdown again only a couple of months ago.

now he doesn't know what his position is as it was zero covid but that is out the window.

he fails to take account of the fact that in good weather people are outside much more with vastly vastly lower transmission rates.

he consistently claimed that people were not fatigued with lockdowns - eventually he rolled back on this about 2 months ago

he said there would be a big increase in cases when schools reopened.
    didn't happen

also ISAG were quoted in internal communications that one of their aims was to "increase fear and uncertainty" in the population - that's what he has been seeking to do all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As far as I remember, he was man of the match in the last World Cup final for some newspapers!

Yep, and at the time Eamo lauded Deschamps for "getting a tune out of him".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

from January this year (after the Christmas increase in cases Ireland - which he didn't predict the scale of anywhere near by the way) he kept pushing out the dates on his projections every podcast all the way out to next Christmas for people being together in different household - every podcast it was a date further out in the future. just changed the date every episode and never mentioned what he was changing or why - it was ridiculous in its randomness and inconsistency.

he fails to properly take account of the effect of the population being vaccinated on the number of deaths and cases. he was still pushing for a zero covid type scenario even as the deaths were basically disappearing as the people who could die from Covid were vaccinated.

he was actually still asking for a 2km radius lockdown again only a couple of months ago.

now he doesn't know what his position is as it was zero covid but that is out the window.

he fails to take account of the fact that in good weather people are outside much more with vastly vastly lower transmission rates.

he consistently claimed that people were not fatigued with lockdowns - eventually he rolled back on this about 2 months ago

he said there would be a big increase in cases when schools reopened.
    didn't happen

also ISAG were quoted in internal communications that one of their aims was to "increase fear and uncertainty" in the population - that's what he has been seeking to do all along.

Yeah he kept going on about the schools in particular, making out the Kent would end up putting a lot of children in hospital. Put a lot of fear in parents at a time when they were already very worried.

kowloonkev wrote: »

He said covid could cause autism in unborn children. Spreading fearmongering BS like that with no evidence is disgusting.

I can't understand how he's constantly defended by some. He and his ISAG buddies are a disgrace.

He said covid could cause autism in unborn children. Spreading fearmongering BS like that with no evidence is disgusting.

I can't understand how he's constantly defended by some. He and his ISAG buddies are a disgrace.

And now to the begrudgers!

And now to the begrudgers!

Why yes that's the real reason I'm questioning Ryan's fearmongering lies, pure begrudgery :rolleyes:

Embarrassing post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thomas Ryan has been wrong about plenty, is quite monotonous to listen to and does lay the glass half empty interpretation on quite thick. I do understand how people can't stand listening to him.

But, I've said it before, last summer he was one of the few out there in the public eye warning that we were looking at going from lockdown to lockdown and our testing and tracing infrastructure wasn't going to do the job - and he was widely derided all over boards and elsewhere for suggesting that any of that was possible or the case.

And bear in mind, at that time, no one of NPHET, the government, the media etc was giving that idea much creedence. He really was one of the very few repeatedly stating the complete obvious in that regard.

Obviously, since then, as time as gone on he has been mistaken on quite a few things, I wouldn't deny that, but the fact that he was fundamentally right about how essentially in the main autumn and winter eventually worked out, when it wasn't a widely held opinion, is always a fact that is completely glossed over by those who can't stand the guy. That is a big massive thing that he did call correctly, that many, many, people did not and he got endless flack for ages about it.

I'm not claiming that he's Nostramdus and that everything is gospel, clearly not, but I can't dismiss him outright either. It doesn't have to black and white, that he's either a genius or a fraud.

Listening to his last interview on the show, he admits himself that he doesn't really know how things will pan out over the next few weeks and months. Which is kind of where we all are really: hoping for the best.

Eamon is some bluffer. So many factual errors in the latest football podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Still Ill wrote: »
    Eamon is some bluffer. So many factual errors in the latest football podcast.

He's also 75 years old. I don't listen to him for cutting edge football analysis any more than I listen to Johnny Giles for that reason at this point. But I still enjoy listening to both talking about football, they often cut through the nonsense many analysists are afflicted by and are entertaining if not strictly informative.

Also, I think for many people of my generation, there's a sense of nostalgia associated with the 2 as we literally grew up watching and listening to them and the day they stop, or 'move on' it will be another thing gone forever from our youth. Saw similar with my mother and Gay Byrne, she raised a family with him on the radio and TV for company and always had a soft spot for him and was genuinely upset when he passed away.

• Advertisement

Why yes that's the real reason I'm questioning Ryan's fearmongering lies, pure begrudgery :rolleyes:

Embarrassing post

Fearmongering and lies! You've inhaled to much nitrous oxide.

Advertisement