Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fearmongering and lies! You've inhaled to much nitrous oxide.

I'm sure Eamon will be delighted that there are 12 year olds listening to the podcast, I'll send him a mail to let him know

Eamo and Giles did a Euro pre-round of 16 review

was a bit cringe when they were going through a team - say the Italian one as they did, and Giles couldn't remember pretty much any of the player's names and Eamo had to prompt them one by one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

glasso wrote: »
    Eamo and Giles did a Euro pre-round of 16 review

was a bit cringe when they were going through a team - say the Italian one as they did, and Giles couldn't remember pretty much any of the player's names and Eamo had to prompt them one by one

Cringe you say....

It was borderline unbroadcastable!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They reminded me of Smashy and Nicey having to read through Spotify's top 20 Grime artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

John Giles is the best judge of football in the WORLD. I always got the impression that he only ever watched the top six teams in England and would only know players in big European teams if they played against English teams in the Champions League. Shocked there was no reference to Don Revie or Matt Busby to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cringe you say....

It was borderline unbroadcastable!

Love Gilesey both no point having him on if he doesn't even know the players.It's been mentioned here before but he could do with mixing up the football contributors.
    Gabriele Marcotti (not everyone's cup of tea I'll admit) for a preview of the Italian team maybe.

Whatever about Giles not knowing the players at least he admits that he's basing his opinion purely on the games he sees.

Dunphy hasn't a clue who half of them are either but spoofs his way through every podcast.

The other day they were on about Gnabry as if they'd never heard of him before. He was scoring for Arsenal in the PL a decade ago and has been a high profile player for at least 4 years at this point.

Chiesa is another one that should be at least somewhat familiar to anyone who follows football closely, particularly those that are ostensibly football journalists (i.e. Dunphy)

Better Football episode on the Euros there with Giles on again.

They didn't go through any team line-ups that Gilesy didn't have a clue about and stuck to well-known staples.

In fairness they are right about Pogba showing brilliant ability (passing and scoring an excellent goal) but then making it all about him after scoring the goal with his quare dance that went on for too long and then switching off for the last few minutes and crucially giving the ball away that led to the Swiss equaliser for 3-3 (and not bothering his hole to get up and try to get it back).

This was inevitably followed by the two of them **** over Modric for a few minutes :pac:

Neil Stanage reminds me of that "Ulster Rugby fan" character Resteard Cooper did years ago.

In a heap here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ball boy

the Stand is taking a break until Aug 23

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see if he invites Neil Francis on again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd say Dunphy is ripping that he's not working with the news about The Monk...

really?

always struck me that when Dunphy has Nicola Talllant on that he's not really that interested and does it mainly to cover off a certain demographic.

[The Niall Boylan Show] Niall speaks to Crime Journalist and Author of The Monk Paul Williams about the arrest of Gerry Hutch in Spain

https://www.classichits.ie/podcasts/niall-boylan/3902.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Looking forward to the return of the stand.

The guests can sometimes be a bit repetitive but it's a great current affairs podcast and covers a lot of interesting topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Absolutely hard pass on listening to bloody Niall Boylan...

it's yer man williams doing all the talking

and he does know more about the Monk than Tallant in fairness

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Good to hear Liam Brady back as a regular contributor on the football episodes. Need to hear a different voice alongside Giles.

Swedish guy on again about Sweden and Covid

Absolutely nothing new to report

Just hoping that people forgot what he said last time (or last 6 times more like)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

I haven't listened to the new podcast yet but I know the Sweden guy hadn't been on for months. I was starting to wonder had he fallen out with Eamon or something. All I was to know is if Swedes are still getting Tegnell tattoos.

That joke is so tired and jaded that even Eamo didn't bring it up

PO'C did mention it out of desperation half way through or something and it didn't even wake Eamo up to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That's for sure.

Poor Gilesy just skips through the back pages these days and the other loon proclaims it as "world class analysis ".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tomas Ryan is still a thing. He's harder to shake off than Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Until the state stops going on by the seat of its pants there will always be people like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

I never listen to the Tomás Ryan podcasts - I wonder how many people do at this stage?

Chris Johns politely killed off Eamon's attempt to repeat that old Tory Party comment he once made and probably regretted ever writing. At least he has updated it in the light of Nadine Dorries getting promoted to cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Did you also know that Michael Gove is a "serious politician".

Judging by the feedback RE the Ryan podcasts on Twitter I'd say very few want to hear what he has to say. He's been discredited as a crackpot liar so I'm not that surprised really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On again today. Eamo asked him about 3 questions. The remainder was just Ryan babbling away to himself for 30 minutes with Dunphy seemingly dozing off in the background. It's a great platform he gives him. Basically talk away with no real scrutiny or questioning. Eamo described him as "rigorous" yet again which should be Ryan's nickname as this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Agree, Eamo can't even manage his previous I'm-still-awake "yes"'s now.

I had hoped the summer break would help but no. Quite simply Eamo is not up to it anymore; still love him though. Tomas however has succumbed to that form of "Long Covid" where one gets really really annoyed when your academic colleagues ignore you. His long pre-prepared monologues are nothing more tiny feet-stamping temper-tantrums ;-) His poor mother...

Advertisement