Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

PAIGE film "Fighting With My Family" produced by The Rock

• 07-02-2017 9:41pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭

WWE, Film4 and The Rock are teaming up to do a film version of Channel 4 British documentary The Wrestlers: Fighting With My Family. Stephen Merchant writing and directing. Yes, they are doing a film based on the life of Paige....

http://screencrush.com/johnson-merchant-paige-movie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They should do a comedy about herself and Del Rio, based on Sid and Nancy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What a strange collaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That could be a REALLY good film! If you know about the Knight family, you'll know there's a lot of material to work with there if they do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Paige's WWE career has 9 lives. She'll be under contract for YEARS now.

Maybe the whole thing with Del Rio is a stunt to get more material for the movie?

Genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

When I first seen that I was sure it was from kayfabe news or similar

Mad, good but mad

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So now that The Rock and Stephen Merchant are making a film based on her family Paige hints to TMZ she may consider a move into MMA (ADR's company) after her WWE contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lena Heady has been announced as Saraya Knight for this movie. Great casting choice. Nick Frost of Shaun of the Dead fame will play Paige's dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Lena Heady has been announced as Saraya Knight for this movie. Great casting choice. Nick Frost of Shaun of the Dead fame will play Paige's dad.

I'd say Paige's family are insane in real life. Never saw the doc

On a sort of relate thing is the Chris benoit movie still being made ???.

I wonder what other wrestler movies could be made ?. Although Micky Rourkes The Wrestler was 100% fictional I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd say Paige's family are insane in real life. Never saw the doc

I wonder what other wrestler movies could be made ?. Although Micky Rourkes The Wrestler was 100% fictional I loved it

Jake Robert's life story would be great as a movie. Really depressing though.

I think a Kayfabe Undertaker / Kane story would be fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PTH2009 wrote:

Poor Liev Schreiber has been linked with that role a while. It's not an easy role even if you go into him changing the ending is darker than 10 seasons of Black Mirror endings combined.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

mod note: moved all the posts about this into one thread!

A lot of big names involved, really interested to see how it turns out. Love Stephen Merchant from his Ricky Gervais & Portal 2 stuff, glad to see him getting more substantial work.

Note that WWE Studios and Film 4 are involved so that looks really good for Paige's WWE career (since she's been out with her neck injury she seems to be in a downward spiral with del rio, 2 wellness violations). WWE definitely see the marketing potential for her, despite the scary reports coming out. Got star written all over her.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    A lot of big names involved, really interested to see how it turns out. Love Stephen Merchant from his Ricky Gervais & Portal 2 stuff, glad to see him getting more substantial work.

Note that WWE Studios and Film 4 are involved so that looks really good for Paige's WWE career (since she's been out with her neck injury she seems to be in a downward spiral with del rio, 2 wellness violations). WWE definitely see the marketing potential for her, despite the scary reports coming out. Got star written all over her.

Yeah, Paige is going to be pushed to the moon with this. Big Hollywood movie with Rock, Cersei and Stephan Merchant attached? WWE will be wetting themselves over that kind of mainstream exposure.

Any further wellness violations might be quietly swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

ERG89 wrote: »
    Poor Liev Schreiber has been linked with that role a while. It's not an easy role even if you go into him changing the ending is darker than 10 seasons of Black Mirror endings combined.

Am disappointed it looks like this will fail to get off the ground. Love Schreiber and think he'd be great in the role.

It's a fairly fascinating story. How would you tell it? Everytime I think of Benoit and the whole incident I look at it differently. One day I'll feel completely sorry and see Benoit as a mentally ill tragedy. The next day I can see him like most, as a heartless murderer.

It could be tonally not unlike Foxcatcher.

How long has she left on her WWE contract?

Is this part of the reason she has been trying to get fired I wonder this project isn't something that happened over night I'd guess this has been going on behind the scenes since before she and ADR went on their benders.

Will she purposelessly fail another wellness test to get her third strike so then be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who is playing Paige or is it herself?

Skins and Maze Runner actress Kaya Scodelario could be a good choice or will it be UK's royal uncrowned princess Keira Knightley

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Keira Knightley is far too old to be Paige. She looks great but she's in her thirties, and Paige was signed when she was 20. Kaya Scodelario would be a great choice. But there may also be a great unknown actress who could do so much with the role.

The documentary was interesting, and the Knights are a wacky family. Saraya apparently wrestled for six months before she realised she was pregnant. There was a load of conflict between Paige and her brother, who both tried out around the same time. She's signed instantly, while he's told to get in shape.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who is playing Paige or is it herself?

Florence Pugh is down to play her.

Florence+Pugh+BFI+London+Film+Festival+Awards+O9cO3buIgF9l.jpg

Florence Pugh is down to play her.

Dye the hair black, throw on half a gallon of eyeshadow and shout "This is my house!"

Boom, you got yourself a Paige.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, yeah. Although she'd better do some wrestling training. Could be a disaster otherwise, they'd have at least a few scenes with her in the ring; especially as the film's main audience would be wrestling fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What type of movie are we talking? Lifetime/Hallmark showing on Movies24 a few months after it's finished? A straight to dvd/vod movie? Or least likely, a WWE films cinematic release?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What type of movie are we talking? Lifetime/Hallmark showing on Movies24 a few months after it's finished? A straight to dvd/vod movie? Or least likely, a WWE films cinematic release?

I think with The Rock and Stephen Merchant involved it will get a cinema release, maybe festival circuits first to see how it is received

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Jake Robert's life story would be great as a movie. Really depressing though.

Already been made that one, its called The Wrestler. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it's mad to see the people involved in this, I can't see how this appeals to anyone outside the biggest WWE fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Rock's name is getting this made. Frost is a huge wrestling fan iirc and Lena Heady while huge due to her role in Game of Thrones would be mad to turn down a leading role in a movie considering most of her other work isn't as big or at least in as big a role, her last non GOTs show for example was the Danger Mouse remake which while a cult classic is not exactly the same as a lead role in a big movie. The Rock having even a cameo is massive for promotional purposes as is the free advertising WWE would offer with their own shows and it would easily be the biggest movie in turns of being a potential money maker WWE Films would have the chance of getting involved in. Merchant too outside of being popular due to his having co-created the Office is probably only known for Hello Ladies in the states. This project just seems like a win win for everyone involved.

Thinking back to Paiges posdcast with Stone Cold and you can't help but think her life would be littered with screen worthy scenes and not just the obvious her mum wrestling while pregnant with her. I remember her talking about being sent off on her own at like 13 to wrestle in Scandinavia etc there is a reason Paige comes across as a bit abnormal these days (as she and ADR write the sequel in real life atm).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

even in daniel bryans book he talks about seeing paiges dad and brothers beat someone up in the locker room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 JoeyReagan

Good for her, hard worker who has paid untold dues, I feel bad that she was pushed to one side for the new generation of talent which I feel led to her current problems with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

16708275_10210075901486708_3632411538432040242_n.jpg?oh=4a9db2793e7356120c18b456c90bfe92&oe=594BECFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nick Frost as HHH and Lena reprising her sarah connor role

Advertisement