Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

PAIGE film "Fighting With My Family" produced by The Rock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

JoeyReagan wrote: »
    Good for her, hard worker who has paid untold dues, I feel bad that she was pushed to one side for the new generation of talent which I feel led to her current problems with the company.

Part of the problem is the character, which still heavily belongs in the Diva Era. It was conceived as 'The Anti Diva Army' in FCW with Sofia Cortez, but she was released. Paige was over in NXT though so all they had to do was push her - and she didn't get the investment from the creative team that Emma, Bayley, Sasha, Charlotte etc. got along the way. So she gets called up to TV with only a look and no character to go with it. With the Four Horsewomen on the roster, she stood out even worse when all she had going for her was "boys, **** over me because I'm not girly. I'm just like you" and nothing else.

She's just never had the chance to evolve her character beyond the goth sex toy like so many of the other Divas - Nikki Bella, Alicia Fox etc. It's the same reason Natalya sticks out like a sore thumb among the other Smackdown women - their characters are all stronger and all she has is wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think the problem with pagie is the anti diva tag seems fake she's the same as the other divas just paler.

I think she's also not as good as the rest of the women in ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Paige is the classic example of someone who you look at and think she should be a star, but she isn't.

She's a reasonably attractive girl, has a unique look, she has clearly got some personality and she's not bad in the ring. However she never connected with the people once she got on the main roster. You can argue her booking was scatty and I wouldn't disagree, but however hard they went with her in either direction, the reactions were always muted. She was never a super over babyface and she was never a hated heel.

I've heard someone else make this point but I think it's often overlooked - while there are criteria that often help to make someone a star, the litmus test of whether or not someone can get over is, put bluntly, whether or not they get over.

Paige has had lots of perks some other women haven't - Total Divas, Tough Enough, the big push out of the gate etc. But she's never really gotten over and she's never connected like a star. Movie isn't going to change that. It's just not in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pagie's story before she joined the WWE and after she went off the rails are the only interesting story's about her.

Her time as a NXT/WWE wrestler isn't in anyway interesting.

Pagie like most of the NXT stars looked like stars in a bingo hall atmosphere that the NXT arena creates with it's fanboy audience but once she and most got to the big league there real level is shown mid to bottom carders and jobbers.

Of course there is going to be exceptions to that but not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

And I don't think Paige ever came across as someone who would really fight for the division like Sasha, Bayley, Becky and even Charlotte did. Look at her dreadful matches against AJ Lee. Booking was partly to blame, but Paige didn't seem to be putting any effort in at all. I contrast to Nikki Bella who, despite getting craptacular booking and storylines, still invested a lot of effort into her ring work and produced some very good matches. Paige doesn't really fit into the big grand atmosphere of WWE. She has a small set of loyal fans, but not overwhelming popularity like Bayley/Becky/Sasha. She outright says she's more suited to playing a heel, but she never bothers to get heat when she plays that role and inevitably turns back face - where she comes across as too bratty and bitchy. And she doesn't play the tweener role as well as someone like Asuka either.

• Advertisement

Fame most definitley went to her head and god knows whats really going on with her and del rio seems to be a toxic relationship although nothing has come out lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Rocky has announced that Vince Vaughn has been added to the production.

Some pretty big Hollywood names attached to this!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Rocky has announced that Vince Vaughn has been added to the production.

Some pretty big Hollywood names attached to this!

Thats pretty big imo because although his star has maybe waned somewhat his addition takes it away from being a British production (or at least that image given Heady, Frost & Merchant) with the Rock in a exec producer role and instead into just being a big production which could get bigger depending on who else is cast in it.

Very interesting how he is apparently rumored to be playing Jake Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That is crazy. I really think they're overestimating people's interest in her story.

I don't think they're banking on people's interest in the true story.

• Advertisement

But I mean, that's the hook right? What sells the movie if not people's interest in the Paige story, be it factual or exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think it will mostly likely go down the goofy route and play on the whole madness of the Knight family.

Probably give a heartfelt go home of Paige making the big time.

The success of a film that has the involvement of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Merchant and Vince Vaughan is not going to be dependant on how well people know or are interested in the story of a d level minor celebrity, whether she is the featured character or not. "Argo" was primarily about Tony Mendez, but I'd wager you'd never heard of him before that movie came out, right?

The movie will live or die based on the trailers they produce, the reviews they get and the word of mouth once it's mouth, like any other movie. IF it's a huge hit, Paige may benefit. But I don't believe it's being made with the idea "oh we'll get the roughly 1.5 million wrestling fans in the world who actually spend money on it to go and that'll make it a suceess".

I don't think Argo comparisons are remotely relevant. You don't have to be familiar with the guy involved to hear a brief blurb of that story and say 'oh that sounds interesting'.

Whereas I don't get how Paige's story is too interesting to anyone not heavily invested in the business, and even then lots of people are not going to give a f*ck.

With how popular the wrestler was I can see this being a success.

sky88 wrote: »
    With how popular the wrestler was I can see this being a success.
    If they can make it as good, and get the critical acclaim The Wrestler did, then yeah grand. The Rock, Stephen Merchant and Vince Vaughn isn't screaming out at that kind of movie, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thats pretty big imo because although his star has maybe waned somewhat.

You must be his agent or a big fan to be that kind. :p
    His run on True Detective was something I was hoping to blank from my mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

With the names involved you can guarantee it'll be a comedy/farce. I've a feeling you'll be talking along lines of Pain & Gain (gawd I wanted that movie to be better than it was) or Dodgeball-esque

The Wrestler was tonely perfect. Can't see this being its peer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I thought Pain & Gain was brilliant!

CSF wrote: »
    If they can make it as good, and get the critical acclaim The Wrestler did, then yeah grand. The Rock, Stephen Merchant and Vince Vaughn isn't screaming out at that kind of movie, but who knows?

Merchant helped write one of the most critically acclaimed shows in the last 20 years I think he can write a good script.

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »

Merchant helped write one of the most critically acclaimed shows in the last 20 years I think he can write a good script.
    Apples and oranges though right? I mean this isn't the first movie he has been involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Some people taking it hard that this movie is getting made. It's a family story about growing up in wrestling & they strike me as people who have been through a lot. People saying it'll only appeal to wrestling fans is naive it's not like that for any movie, only dancers go to see La, La Land or comic book fans go see those movies. If they tell an interesting story it will draw enough attention to draw in more fans.

Yeah it struck me as such 'in the bubble' thinking. The idea that Johnson, Vaughn and Merchant are on board for a product that is going to live or die based on PAIGE FANS is very amusing to me.

Yeah, because celebrity actors have never been involved in anything that was destined to flop before. That has never happened. Ever.

No one is arguing that it will be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

ERG89 wrote: »
    Some people taking it hard that this movie is getting made. It's a family story about growing up in wrestling & they strike me as people who have been through a lot. People saying it'll only appeal to wrestling fans is naive it's not like that for any movie, only dancers go to see La, La Land or comic book fans go see those movies. If they tell an interesting story it will draw enough attention to draw in more fans.

It is like Straight Outta Compton movie, I enjoyed it even though I was never a fan of N.W.A before watching movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Yeah, because celebrity actors have never been involved in anything that was destined to flop before. That has never happened. Ever.

If it's clear as day the movie will be awful then yes it's easy to spot a money grab flop but I don't see any reason why someone would put this in that bracket.

It won't have a major budget so there isn't so much downside, yet if they make a charming feel good family movie then it could easily appeal to a mass market and do very well.

This movie really has very little to do with Paige in truth and I'm sure she won't even be used as a major marketing ploy, it'll be just sold as the story it is. I watch a movie talk show on YouTube and when discussing this they never even maned her, just said it was based on a documentary and it could work.

correction wrote: »

If it's clear as day the movie will be awful then yes it's easy to spot a money grab flop but I don't see any reason why someone would put this in that bracket.

It won't have a major budget so there isn't so much downside, yet if they make a charming feel good family movie then it could easily appeal to a mass market and do very well.

This movie really has very little to do with Paige in truth and I'm sure she won't even be used as a major marketing ploy, it'll be just sold as the story it is. I watch a movie talk show on YouTube and when discussing this they never even maned her, just said it was based on a documentary and it could work.
    My point the whole time was that it's not a very marketable story outside the wrestling world. I don't think that many people have an interest in a story about the independent wrestling world.

If you can turn it into a potential Oscar winner like The Wrestler then you're onto a winner, but I think otherwise if you're making plans for the weekend and you see something like Hidden Figures, or even something more lighthearted like War Dogs, then even if you haven't an already held interest in the people that the story is about (which is how I think people interpreted my point), people would naturally gravitate towards those stories ahead of this one.

I'm not saying that this has no hope, moreso that it can't really get away without being great, because it's not a story that would capture the immediate interest of those outside the wrestling world. IMO at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

no idea how to embed instagram pics but The Rock and the "Fighting With My Family" crew are filming pre-Raw apparently

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQug9G4llE-/?taken-by=therock

• Advertisement

no idea how to embed instagram pics but The Rock and the "Fighting With My Family" crew are filming pre-Raw apparently

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQug9G4llE-/?taken-by=therock

Surely if the rock is there we might be getting an appearance

Advertisement