Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalising RECREATIONAL cannabis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Keep it illegal with a slap on the wrist
    Absolutely not.

Answer me this; why does anyone need to use drugs to make themselves feel good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

You brought stoned children in to the discussion. Would calling someone a creep repeatedly be resorting to child like insults? Can you not express your self in a civil manner? What if a child read this?

I can give as good as I get. There are lots of stoned children wrecking their parent' lives. Are you denying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

You could ask the same question of alcohol and probably get the same answer.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You could ask the same question of alcohol and probably get the same answer.

Not really. Alcohol in moderation is pretty harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

For some people it's not about "making themselves feel good" It is about sitting down after a hard days work relaxing and having a smoke. Other people might choose to read a book go for a walk etc. but some people choose to have a smoke.

• Advertisement

So is cannabis, but that doesn't answer the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

So is weed. Your opinion doesn't change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

1. Do you have evidence for this first statement? I thought we were discussing cannabis?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I was just pointing out that lots of things are harmful, cannabis just isn't harmful enough.
    2. They shouldn't be allowed smoke it because we don't need another poison legalized. I don't subscribe to the "my body my choice" religion; I think a government should protect people form the recklessness of others. Just like they do with drink driving. Do you think people should be allowed drink and drive??
    Cannabis isn't poison, or you don't understand what a poison is. Cannabis use isn't by default going to affect someone else. You can make the argument that if someone abuses any drug the family will suffer with them and it's true. But that's addiction, it's a different thing to someone that just uses the drug. Obviously I don't think drink driving should be legalised, it's a nonsense comparison.
    4. From my experience many people support legalization because it is fashionable to do so. Don't underestimate the power of fashion.
    No, that's what you want to believe. Many people support cannabis legalisation because of long term debate, organised crime is clearly a result of prohibition, and all evidence points to the fact that any harma associated with cannabis isn't so bad that we should have organised crime instead. This debate has been going on for decades and you clearly haven't been listening to the points and are instead hiding behind a caricature of drug use promoted by sensationalist media and 80s action films.
    5. I answered this already.
    I didn't see any explanation for why you think cannabis would be allowed to advertise when the current legal drugs aren't.
    6. It's not criminals that cause widespread drug use;
    No, drugs have been in widespread use for millennia, archaeology has shown we've been using drugs for at least 8,000 years. Humans use drugs, it's part of our behaviour and always has been.

"Addiction" and "alcoholism" are complete myths that deny human will power.
    Right, I think I'll stick with medical professionals on this one.

So is weed. Your opinion doesn't change that fact.

Smoking weed in moderation is not harmless. And from my experience very few people smoke it in moderation.

Smoking weed in moderation is not harmless. And from my experience very few people smoke it in moderation.

What experience? Your mate smoked it when he was 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Smoking weed in moderation is not harmless.
    In your opinion? Or have you got something to back up that claim?

ScumLord wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I was just pointing out that lots of things are harmful, cannabis just isn't harmful enough.

Cannabis isn't poison, or you don't understand what a poison is. Cannabis use isn't by default going to affect someone else. You can make the argument that if someone abuses any drug the family will suffer with them and it's true. But that's addiction, it's a different thing to someone that just uses the drug. Obviously I don't think drink driving should be legalised, it's a nonsense comparison.

No, that's what you want to believe. Many people support cannabis legalisation because of long term debate, organised crime is clearly a result of prohibition, and all evidence points to the fact that any harma associated with cannabis isn't so bad that we should have organised crime instead. This debate has been going on for decades and you clearly haven't been listening to the points and are instead hiding behind a caricature of drug use promoted by sensationalist media and 80s action films.

I didn't see any explanation for why you think cannabis would be allowed to advertise when the current legal drugs aren't.

No, drugs have been in widespread use for millennia, archaeology has shown we've been using drugs for at least 8,000 years. Humans use drugs, it's part of our behaviour and always has been.

Right, I think I'll stick with medical professionals on this one.

Please define addiction. This word is thrown around and taken as a given by almost everyone. What does it mean exactly?

I'll respond to the rest tomorrow. Going to be now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

So everyone that smokes it is an addict? I know plenty of people that smoke it once a week or once or twice a month.

ScumLord wrote: »
    In your opinion? Or have you got something to back up that claim?

"There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents." - Royal College of Psychiatrists

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314222.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'll respond to the rest tomorrow. Going to be now.

Rest easy Rich, and don't be swiveling that díck around thinking of the antics them pesky stoners get up to... ;)

So everyone that smokes it is an addict? I know plenty of people that smoke it once a week or once or twice a month.

I don't believe in addiction. People smoke it because they want to. People stop smoking it all the time. Addiction is a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I don't believe in addiction. People smoke it because they want to. People stop smoking it all the time. Addiction is a fantasy.

What ever you're smoking. I want some.

Edit: I might regret that given your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

I can give as good as I get. There are lots of stoned children wrecking their parent' lives. Are you denying it?

In 2003 we had the third highest number of cannibas users in Europe. By 2014, we had the highest number. What we're doing is really working.

In 2003 we had the third highest number of cannibas users in Europe. By 2014, we had the highest number. What we're doing is really working.

What are "we" doing exactly? It's the fault of the selfish people taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

What are "we" doing exactly? It's the fault of the selfish people taking them.

Making it forbidden and therefore exciting to young people among other things . Can you explain what's selfish about having a joint? Did they not offer you any, is that it?

Why do you think we smoke more than the others

• Advertisement

Making it forbidden and therefore exciting to young people. Can you explain what's selfish about having a joint? Did they not offer you any, is that it?

Objectively it is selfish, many pursuits are, that doesn't make them worthy of criminalisation. The most selfish thing about cannabis use is it's funding criminal gangs. That kinda makes the crusade to keep it illegal just as selfish IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Legalise. The current situation is a farce.

It's widely used as it is, at least this way the state gets some revenue, the smokers get better and safer smoke and the dodgy fiends who gain the most out of the current situation will end up getting practically nothing. Sure, cannabis isn't harmless, but it's no worse than many other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't care what anyone puts into their system. What I'd be worried about is morons driving around high as a kite.

I don't care what anyone puts into their system. What I'd be worried about is morons driving around high as a kite.

Through total legalisation you could easily increase the traffic corp by 2 or 3 times. There would be very little else for the guards to do.

Laws are already in place for the offence of drug driving.

Through total legalisation you could easily increase the traffic corp by 2 or 3 times. There would be very little else for the guards to do.

Yes, I'm sure that would happen.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Laws are already in place for the offence of drug driving.

And while it's a massive concern of mine as well it should probably be noted that plenty of us, err people, drive like complete tools as sober as a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

Legalise it. Tax it. Reap the profits from the taxes from it. There is a certain amount of maturity that would come in to play when one is recreationally using drugs which would mean not to let it interfere with normal activities of life.

The same comparison can be made with alcohol. Yes many people drink within reason but would not turn up to work intoxicated.

I don't smoke it but don't have much of a problem with it as long as it doesn't negatively impact upon people's lives to such a degree that they cease to function day to day.

Yes there are some negative aspects to this drug. There are a number of people who are genetically predisposed to developing psychiatric illnesses because of cannabis. It does affect people negatively and does not suit some individuals.

It is up to the responsibility of the user to decide if it suits them or not, the same can be said for alcohol or any substance. But to believe that we should wrap all people up in cotton wool would be silly. Illegal drugs have been for sale for years and shall continue to be regardless of legality.

There may also be some substance misuse issues also but that is an extremely broad topic that has many angles. Addiction itself is a broad scope term but it is sufficient to state that one who uses cannabis once may not misuse it. But due to the many factors at play it is difficult to predict if another person may misuse it also.

I would also believe that the possibility of young people getting a hold of it may remain the same as when it was illegal. The issue if it were legalised would be to educate children about the dangers of using such a substance at a young age. The same that is done with cigarettes and alcohol for example.

If the government did legalise it then maybe it should follow strict laws such as the tobacco industry. For example strict advertising laws etc etc.

To cut everything short would be as such. Yes drugs are misused. Drugs are dangerous. Drugs can affect people's brains, minds and cause mental disorders in many individuals especially those who have genetic predisposition to such.

But it us up to ones own self to decide if cannabis would suit them or not and have the common sense and integrity to not use it again if it doesn't. Cannabis can be problematic but not to those who exercise common sense when using it and understand the way it affects them.

Hmmm, the US government bans a certain drug in 1920 which was the basis of a massive supply and demand industry. The demand for this drug continues regardless which sees the criminal underworld taking over the supply function for this drug seeing the potential profits to be made along with the added bonus of such profits now being untaxed. Wholesale anarchy and murder etc ensue in the fight between rivals for a share of this revenue. The
    government is utterly ineffective in dealing with the problem & realizes its monumental error and lifts prohibition. Can anyone explain how prohibition will work now in dealing with 'illegal drugs' considering the evidence we have for its spectacular failure previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was under the impression that Ireland was going to be smoke free by 2025.

Cannabis use in other forms maybe, but we're not going to see smoking it legalised in all fairness.

Advertisement