Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free porridge this Saturday! Free!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I like their Jumbo organic oats, I have the oats with milk poured over them instead of the porridge making ritual. I presume it's the ordinary oats only? Very good marketing ploy, you have to hand it to whoever came up with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

The Raptor wrote: »
    No, it's just free. I like my porridge in the mornings.

Do people not value their time, or do you have little going on to spend an hour or two going around getting free bags of porridge that are like 60c for the same bag in Lidl...

But yeah, let's not adhere to the terms and be greedy, and noy just get the one bag and leave some for people who might actually badly need them, like young struggling family's for example. It's got to be multiple bags in multiple shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

adox wrote: »
    Its hard to tell the difference and nutritionally I`m pretty sure they are identical.

Yeah, but the regular one is sh1t compared to the organic large oats, that's our household passing on it, himself won't eat it,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

The regular Flahavans has a glue like consistnecy alright, its absolute muck.

Even lidls oatmeal is infitely better and costs less than a euro IIRC.

Is porridge really suitable as a breakfast for weight loss?

I thougt it would be loaded with carbs, maybe its better than bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Doge wrote: »

Anything is suitable for weight loss, providing your burning/using more calories than you take in during the day. Its not rocket science.

Carbohydrates don't make you fat all on their own. Of course its better than bread. Porridge is slow burning, so its a low calorie breakfast if you have it with water. Better than a meat, fat loaded breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

The regular Flahavans has a glue like consistnecy alright, its absolute muck.

Even lidls oatmeal is infitely better and costs less than a euro IIRC.

It all depends on how you make it e.g. with water or milk, do you soak it overnight, how long you cook it for, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Challenge accepted. And there is a Supervalu, Tesco and Eurospar all nearby.

So.. park at EuroSpar, pick up a bag 1, Walk to SuperValu, pick up another bag2, Walk to Tesco.. another bag 3.. then start walking back to your car, and stop again in SuperValu 4, then back to your car.. and shur, you're parked at EuroSpar. might as well pop in for one more 5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Queues for this start at 11pm tonight, bring your sleeping bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

pa990 wrote: »
    So.. park at EuroSpar, pick up a bag 1, Walk to SuperValu, pick up another bag2, Walk to Tesco.. another bag 3.. then start walking back to your car, and stop again in SuperValu 4, then back to your car.. and shur, you're parked at EuroSpar. might as well pop in for one more 5 :D

In the true spirit of Op. Trans. leave the car at home and walk to and from EuroSpar! Swing those arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I'll put it in my bird feeder!Robins love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Tinie wrote: »
    Anything is suitable for weight loss, providing your burning/using more calories than you take in during the day. Its not rocket science.

Carbohydrates don't make you fat all on their own. Of course its better than bread. Porridge is slow burning, so its a low calorie breakfast if you have it with water. Better than a meat, fat loaded breakfast.

Nonsense.

Telling a person trying to lose weight to "eat less and move more" is like telling an alcoholic to drink less. Ofc the alcoholic needs to drink less but they need various things in place like addiction counseling, support groups, family assistance etc.

There are various factors that determine how much fat a person stores. It is actually a hormone called insulin that decides how our bodies store & use energy. Insulin spikes cause our bodies to rapidly release energy while also putting stress on the heart. Carbohydrates cause massive insulin spikes, particularly refined carbohydrates (pasta, bread, sweets). We are led to believe that porridge is the more healthy option because it contains more fiber and that the sugar will be released more slowly into our system. This idea does hold some merit, however, it would be best to simply skip the oats & enjoy bacon & eggs instead.

I think this is an interesting promotion. I feel more and more people are waking up to the idea of how carbohydrates are making us fat and are a (if not, THE) root cause of many severe conditions like Alzheimer's, obesity, type 2 diabetes etc that plague western society. The only species on the planet that function well on grains are birds. Look at how cattle are made fatter. They're fed plenty of grains. Promotions like this are fleeting attempts to clutch onto peoples dying beliefs that carbohydrates are healthy and can be part of a healthy diet. They are simply not required by the body to function. You can't remove protein or fats from your diet without severe consequences. But when you severely limit carb intake, amazing results are seen.

Please forgive my overly winded rant on carbs but I believe sugar is a major detriment to quality of life. Investigate a high fat, low carb diet. There is plenty of information on youtube search for dr jason fung, gary taubes, dr steve phinney. Documentaries like Cereal Killers, The Big Fat Fix and Fat Head are all highly informative. There is a good subreddit too, reddit.com/r/keto

Nothing in this life is free. Eat these oats you pay with your health, better off feeding these to the robins as user downwesht is planning to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I eat porridge every morning and find it keeps me fuller for longer meaning i eat less throughout the day .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Got one tonight actually and the lady didn't scan it either! Sending the kids tomorrows with bowls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Better get camping lads :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cavey wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Please forgive my overly winded rant on carbs but I believe sugar is a major detriment to quality of life. Investigate a high fat, low carb diet. There is plenty of information on youtube search for dr jason fung, gary taubes, dr steve phinney. Documentaries like Cereal Killers, The Big Fat Fix and Fat Head are all highly informative. There is a good subreddit too, reddit.com/r/keto

Nothing in this life is free. Eat these oats you pay with your health, better off feeding these to the robins as user downwesht is planning to do!

Please also investigate gallstones while you're at it.

Wish the internets weren't full of unqualified people giving advice based on tv programs....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

pwurple wrote: »
    Please also investigate gallstones while you're at it.

Wish the internets weren't full of unqualified people giving advice based on tv programs....

Gallstones? Oh right because they're made up of cholesterol. So according to you, a high fat diet would put you at an increased risk of developing them? Lets ask google! First result. If you eat low fat less bile is needed to digest your food. More bile thus stays in the gallbladder. Long enough, perhaps, for stones to form. It’s been shown that people who (instead of fat) eat more carbohydrates are at increased risk of gallstones. Source

:eek:

Interestingly if we take a look at the wiki for gallstones, we see the risk factors for developing gallstones. Risk factors for gallstones include birth control pills, pregnancy, a family history of gallstones, obesity, diabetes, liver disease, or rapid weight loss. Source

And while there are many reasons why people develop obesity and diabetes, I would put carbohydrates extremely high up the list.

Love your condescending statement that I'm unqualified. Yes, because everybody knows you need a masters degree to post in an Irish thread about free oats. Furthermore, I didn't list any TV shows. Those are feature length documentaries. The men I named are doctors and one is a journalist.

Quick look at your post history and I see you are very fond of carbs. Most people are. You even made a thread about a box of Kelloggs cereal you bought. The best advice you were given about that sugary cereal was to throw it away, seven people liked that comment, including you! Yet you still refused to throw it away. Insisting you will use it in your baking because it would be wasteful... It seems you are very dependent on your sugar. But there is no good sugar and maybe you refuse to accept that.

For the record, I didn't offer anybody advice to start a low carb, high fat diet. All I did was recommend people investigate it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Lots of stock in my local Eurospar. Picked one up earlier. Happy shopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing wrong with having some carbs in your diet and porridge is a pretty decent breakfast to have.

Shame to see the food nazis on here trying to dis this promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

adox wrote: »
    Othing wrong with having some carbs in your diet and porridge is a pretty decent breakfast to have.

Shame to see the food nazis on here trying to dis this promotion.

Exactly, this is a Bargain Alert. Doesn't matter what's being given away really but Imagine the uproar from some if there was a Coco Pops giveaway...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I'm a diabetic and I eat porridge every morning. Fills me up until lunch, love it. I try to keep my carb intake to 200g a day so 30g of porridge is totally fine, slow releasing too. Won't bother going around especially for the free bag but if I'm passing the shop I'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

None in Merrion tesco

Edit: I was wrong, about 15 packs beside one of the checkouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I got the last pack in tesco Terenure a half hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

Lots in Douglas Tesco behind customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

neither supervalu nor tesco in kilrush had any porridge at 11am this morning..... disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

bromley52 wrote: »
    Lots in Douglas Tesco behind customer service.

Yep, same in Tesco Athlone. I enquired and was told to ask at the checkout. They were held back apparently and only being kept for people with trollies full of shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Never got my free bag afterall. My local shop was out of them, and I couldn't be arsed walking from shop to shop to try and get a free bag in each. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a slow release food, so it fills you and gives you energy.

Sugary cerals give you a rush then leave you starving 1/2 hour late.

There's different kind of carbs, and carbs aren't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I hope all these free bags are used , cos sometimes can go grab a bargain simply because it is a bargain.

2 minutes in the microwave every morning made with water and stir after one minute .
    When it has boiled , then top up with milk and its delicious with a spoon of honey .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Never got time to call in today.
    I usually leave it to soak overnight in hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I hope all these free bags are used , cos sometimes can go grab a bargain simply because it is a bargain.

2 minutes in the microwave every morning made with water and stir after one minute .
    When it has boiled , then top up with milk and its delicious with a spoon of honey .

2.5 minutes in the microwave with milk for me.

Add Chia and other mixed seeds. Maybe some blueberries too

Advertisement