Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free porridge this Saturday! Free!!

Options
  • 25-01-2017 11:50pm

https://ot.rte.ie/events/free-porridge-day/

From the above link:

Operation Transformation’s Free Porridge Day takes place on Saturday 28th January

Operation Transformation is teaming up with Irish oat producer Flahavan’s to give away 200,000 500g packets of oats this Saturday, 28 January. That’s enough free oats to make three million servings of porridge!

The 200,000 limited edition RTÉ Operation Transformation Flahavan’s porridge packs will be available free nationwide on Saturday 28 January. The 500g packs will be distributed through supermarkets SuperValu, Tesco, EuroSpar and Dunnes Stores. Customers will need to scan their pack at the checkout, allowing one per shopper per household to ensure fair distribution. It is advisable to visit stores early to receive a limited edition free pack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks. I've eaten enough of it! I'll be happy to get a freebie.
    How will scanning the pack stop me getting more than one? Maybe you mean scanning the customer's iris.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

This at least wont break the bank but you'd want to be fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

degsie wrote: »
    This at least wont break the bank but you'd want to be fast.

There could be a gruelling journey to lots of supermarkets ahead.

Great BA thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

I have to make it myself? You're alright thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Thanks. I've eaten enough of it! I'll be happy to get a freebie. How will scanning the pack stop me getting more than one? Maybe you mean scanning the customer's iris.

You'll be able to get multiple packets but the epos system will only deduct the price of a single packet per transaction so that you can only get 1 free per transaction.

... You could of course get multiple packets free by making multiple trips to the till and to multiple different stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

And the usual stampede of greedy feckers will try and stock up with bags of free porridge and hardly use them/let them go to waste.

Its a free bag of porridge, how desperate are people to try and get multiple free through the checkout.:D

Never ceases to amaze me the sheer greed of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I lost a 500g lump of my belief in Ireland when not one of the people asked what they'd do with an €88m Lotto win said "I'd build an apartment block for homeless" or anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Chuchote wrote: »
    I lost a 500g lump of my belief in Ireland when not one of the people asked what they'd do with an €88m Lotto win said "I'd build an apartment block for homeless" or anything similar.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this BA (or BA in general), please keep discussions on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I can just imagine the amount of adverts selling off their stockpiles of porridge on Sat...........

You'll be able to get multiple packets but the epos system will only deduct the price of a single packet per transaction so that you can only get 1 free per transaction.

... You could of course get multiple packets free by making multiple trips to the till and to multiple different stores.

I did realise that would be the likely procedure - having visited a supermarket in the past.
    Alternatively I could camp out in the car park with my selection of disguises and visit each checkout in turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Need to get the wife and 2 kids up early Saturday. 4 packets sorted :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Christ almighty

I hope you won't have to bribe the kids with Coco-Pops or Cheerios.

Aside: Aren't Aldi sponsoring Op Trans? But they don't sell Flahavans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Thanks OP - though it looks from the OT page that it's the ordinary Flahavans and not the organic one which is infinitely superior (the ordinary stuff could double as wallpaper paste tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

andrew1977 wrote: »
    And the usual stampede of greedy feckers will try and stock up with bags of free porridge and hardly use them/let them go to waste.

Its a free bag of porridge, how desperate are people to try and get multiple free through the checkout.:D

I thought that what bargain alerts was all about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm more of a ready brek man myself.

Guess I'll have to pull the old stone mill outta the shed and grind the feckless down even further myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks OP - though it looks from the OT page that it's the ordinary Flahavans and not the organic one which is infinitely superior (the ordinary stuff could double as wallpaper paste tbh)

Its hard to tell the difference and nutritionally I`m pretty sure they are identical.

As a kid I always remember eating it uncooked straight out of the bag and loving it. Was told off and warned that it could stick in my throat and choke me! (possibly bullsh1t)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I'm going to visit all the shops and get a free packet in each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The Raptor wrote: »

Good plan:)

The only differences between RB and Porridge is the texture and price!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I believe this Free porridge has been concocted by the Dairy Council and Irish Water to make you use more milk/water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Pinhead oatmeal is where its at bois and girls never mind this ****e.

The Raptor wrote: »

I like a freebie myself but it's probably worth about €2 a bag. Dare I suggest your time is worth more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Aldi do 1kg of organic oats for 1.69. I'd guess the regular oats are cheaper again.

Are times that hard/people that tight that they'd try avail of a free offer of 500g of oats multiple times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

adox wrote: »
    Its hard to tell the difference and nutritionally I`m pretty sure they are identical.

Like the scene in Steve Martins 'The Jerk' when his father tells him 'Son, that's ****, and this is shinola'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Like the scene in Steve Martins 'The Jerk' when his father tells him 'Son, that's ****, and this is shinola'

You're paying a premium for the word organic.
    Doubt you could tell the difference in a blind tasting test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Aldi do 1kg of organic oats for 1.69. I'd guess the regular oats are cheaper again.

Are times that hard/people that tight that they'd try avail of a free offer of 500g of oats multiple times?

No, it's just free. I like my porridge in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

andrew1977 wrote: »

Challenge accepted. And there is a Supervalu, Tesco and Eurospar all nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

As a kid I always remember eating it uncooked straight out of the bag and loving it. Was told off and warned that it could stick in my throat and choke me! (possibly bullsh1t)

as a kid, i used to have a cup of porridge with milk as a sneaky snack back in the nineties, bloody hipsters now call it overnight oats.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I use bunalun

Advertisement