Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutant HD51 Sat Reciever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Do you have a meter or a way of checking the signal on the Saorsat lnb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Abm does now do saorsat.

Is there anything special you need to do in order to tune in tuner B?
    I've setup tuner A and have set them both up individually instead of making them equal. However the automatic scan only tunes in tuner A. It does not list tuner B.

How do I get B tuned in as it is preventing completion of ABM scan?

I get a message saying ABM time out on tuner B. Please check the tuner is correctly configured and you can receive the specified frequency.

Swap the cables connected to Tuners A and B and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Same thing still on tuner B.

I checked the inputs earlier using the signal finder and both are are bringing in saorsat and freesat.

Is there anything I could screen grab to help locate the problem?

I've rechecked after the swap using signal finder and it s still good.

I'll note deal the preferred tuner and see what effect that has.

By changing the preferred tuner from auto to then a and then b I was able to view rte and utv so the tuners are set up correctly imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Same thing still on tuner B.

It's a software/receiver issue so.

I checked the inputs earlier using the signal finder and both are are bringing in saorsat and freesat.

Is there anything I could screen grab to help locate the problem?

1. When you did the manual scan on Tuner B, did it bring in any channels?
    2. What happens if you try recording BBC1 HD and viewing Sky News?
    3. As a kludge if ABM is the problem, set Tuner B to disabled, run ABM and see if it completes, then set Tuner B=A.

Pile of ****e. I ordered saorsat to be lower in the ABM and it then worked first time.

Channel ordering within this is awful. Now looking to get this resolved!

Pile of ****e. I ordered saorsat to be lower in the ABM and it then worked first time.

Not sure why you need ABM for Saorsat, it's only a handful of channels that will see very little changes

It was already listed so I decided to use it.

Is it possible to layout the channels so that their numbers align with those on the sky epg?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to layout the channels so that their numbers align with those on the sky epg?

Yes. I've always done it this way and only lately changed to a Freesat layout using ABM. For this you use a different plugin called autobouquets which does the same for the Sky channel info. I changed because it's become pretty pointless having the Sky layout when cardsharing no longer works and most of the channels would be scrambled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

There is a free utility called "dreamboxedit" for a PC that allows you to edit your channel lists and bouquets and then save them back to the box.

BTW if you do a manual scan of Saorsat, the channels will be listed in "last scanned". You could then copy what you want to whatever bouquet you want in any order.

Yes. I've always done it this way and only lately changed to a Freesat layout using ABM. For this you use a different plugin called autobouquets which does the same for the Sky channel info. I changed because it's become pretty pointless having the Sky layout when cardsharing no longer works and most of the channels would be scrambled

Will this put the saorsat channels into the correct sky epg position or is that bit done manually?

I'll not be card sharing but for the old folks only having one channel last to remember would ideal.

Will this put the saorsat channels into the correct sky epg position or is that bit done manually?

I'll not be card sharing but for the old folks only having one channel last to remember would ideal.

No, it was for 28.2 channels only, you'll have to add the Irish channels manually

Not counting radio, there are only 5 channels of note on Saorsat...
    RTÉ1, RTÉ2, NewsNow, TG4 and RTÉ1+1

Satellites.xml has now been updated to hold a transponder for Saorsat - however, it is the 20.185 transponder code.
    I've tried it on OpenATV with no success.

Can someone with OpenVix please try if you can obtain a signal? For it to work, you need update your software and then in the tuner setup change the Type of LNB/Device to 'KA-SAT (9 E)'.

No, it was for 28.2 channels only, you'll have to add the Irish channels manually

Is this done via a CustomMix or DreamBoxEdit?

Satellites.xml has now been updated to hold a transponder for Saorsat - however, it is the 20.185 transponder code.
    I've tried it on OpenATV with no success.

Can someone with OpenVix please try if you can obtain a signal? For it to work, you need update your software and then in the tuner setup change the Type of LNB/Device to 'KA-SAT (9 E)'.

I always had to manually update the xml with the 10765 settings. In practice it is easier to just do a manual scan on Saorsat, not that anything useful ever happens on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »

I'm happy with the picture on the receiver now.
    I have the Autoresolution plugin displaying the SD channels in their native mode ,which means the tv does the scaling instead of the receiver,this gives a much better picture.The scaling on the receiver is poor.
    I also have the Colorspace as BT709 .
    The picture now is as good as my Alien 2.

Hi Zardoz,

Are you still using and happy with the HD51? My Alien has started to act up and am looking to replace. I've always noted your opinion on receivers, especially with regard picture quality. The mutant is high on my list. Are you still happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Slevster wrote: »
    Hi Zardoz,

Are you still using and happy with the HD51? My Alien has started to act up and am looking to replace. I've always noted your opinion on receivers, especially with regard picture quality. The mutant is high on my list. Are you still happy with it?

Yes,I still have the HD51 as my main receiver.
    I'm very happy with it ,I cant really fault it ,it does everything well ,its a very slick piece of hardware.

Picture quality ,its about as good as you are going to get nowadays.
    Not as good as the Aliens but nothing is to be honest.

• Advertisement

Zardoz - what image are you using on your HD51?

EDIT: Found answer in Post 61
    (OpenATV)

Zardoz - what image are you using on your HD51?

EDIT: Found answer in Post 61
    (OpenATV)

Yes, I prefer Openatv.
    I'm currently using a recent version of 6.2 .
    I tried out 6.3 over Christmas but its still a little bit buggy as beta so went back to 6.2.

Got the 51HD.

Its satisfyingly snappy! And things work with out messing around (eg audio when flicking between HD channel and SD channels). Even using Dreamdroid App works instantly (when at home- having trouble getting it working outside my home network)

Have it set up with OpenATV image (6.2 i think). (am using the mutliboot slots, with Vix, OpenATV, OpenPLI and another OpenATV -great feature for testing) Had a bit of hassle with the DTV usb tuner. One arrived doa from China, So ended up buying from the folks in Portarlington. Cant install drivers for the USB tuner on VIX or OpenPLI. May need to reinstall image.
    Have the PLIHD-Mod-Marino skin installed (same as my Alien set up -ease the transition !).

I like the customisable options in Open ATV, which allows to have my button set up etc as I want.

The picture quality is better than I feared. The HD picture is spot on, and with a few adjustments the SD picture is grand. (Tried using AutoResolution, but find the the look of the menu, + the pause (delay , which i reduced ) to change resolution, annoys me more than the gain in PQ . Different TV's may make more of a difference, I would imagine).

But I am having an issue and not sure what its related to - After sometime with the tv on, the screen will go black for a mili-second. This will happen again after a shorter period of time, and it will continue, with the gaps becoming less and less, until it is almost constant. I've checked it with openATV with the default skin and it happens (so not skin related). Have yet to test VIX (but can not view DTV because of driver issue). I wonder if its related to the USB tuner? Is there a cache flush plugin/option I should be using? (Needs more investigation -Also once it happens, a restart through the power options doesn't resolve it fully (as in, the issue returns after a short period). - I need to see if turning off the power resolves it fully - Booting into another image solves it)

But I am having an issue and not sure what its related to - After sometime with the tv on, the screen will go black for a mili-second. This will happen again after a shorter period of time, and it will continue, with the gaps becoming less and less, until it is almost constant. I've checked it with openATV with the default skin and it happens (so not skin related). Have yet to test VIX (but can not view DTV because of driver issue). I wonder if its related to the USB tuner? Is there a cache flush plugin/option I should be using? (Needs more investigation -Also once it happens, a restart through the power options doesn't resolve it fully (as in, the issue returns after a short period). - I need to see if turning off the power resolves it fully - Booting into another image solves it)

Sounds almost like an overheating issue. Make sure the vents are not blocked. If there is another unit under or over might be adding to the issue.

Sounds almost like an overheating issue. Make sure the vents are not blocked. If there is another unit under or over might be adding to the issue.

hadn't thought of that. it is stalked in a recess with other electronics. Wouldn't be much of an airflow. Will monitor it for sure. (Thanks for the suggestion)

Well done on your purchase Slevster .
    Its a great piece of kit .
    Have it set up with OpenATV image (6.2 i think). (am using the mutliboot slots, with Vix, OpenATV, OpenPLI and another OpenATV -great feature for testing) Had a bit of hassle with the DTV usb tuner. One arrived doa from China, So ended up buying from the folks in Portarlington. Cant install drivers for the USB tuner on VIX or OpenPLI. May need to reinstall image.
    Have the PLIHD-Mod-Marino skin installed (same as my Alien set up -ease the transition !).

Yes the 4 slots is very handy as you can easily try different images.
    The picture quality is better than I feared. The HD picture is spot on, and with a few adjustments the SD picture is grand. (Tried using AutoResolution, but find the the look of the menu, + the pause (delay , which i reduced ) to change resolution, annoys me more than the gain in PQ . Different TV's may make more of a difference, I would imagine).

Yeah I know what you mean.
    Autoresolution tends to drain the colour from the picture and it gives mixed results.
    Its not ideal as the menus are blurry with it on,Mrs Zardoz did not approve.
    Open Atv definitely gives the best picture quality,I have the color profile as Auto and I turn the saturation down a good bit .
    The gamma levels are still a bit too low on Openatv compared to the Alien 2 .

No need for cache flush on the Mutant ,it has loads of memory.
    Cache flush is only required on receivers with limited memory .

I havent encountered the issue you speak of ,I use the Pli skin .
    Perhaps its an overscan issue ?

Once the issue reoccurs, I will
    Monitor the temp and cool, then
    Move from other equipment and ground (incase of static build up), then
    check over scan and change,
    Then change Hdmi cable ( someone on the WOS forum suggested it for another user).
    After that I will power of at socket
    Will report back if any of the above are effective.. Might be of us to others.

Thanks for pointers

Once the issue reoccurs, I will
    Monitor the temp and cool, then
    Move from other equipment and ground (incase of static build up), then
    check over scan and change,
    Then change Hdmi cable ( someone on the WOS forum suggested it for another user).
    After that I will power of at socket
    Will report back if any of the above are effective.. Might be of us to others.

Thanks for pointers

Last night the issue reoccurred
    So, I raised the box, and felt that it was quite hot on the under side. I left it on its end, while blowing (fanning) it briefly. The picture returned to normal. (didn't have time to do any further investigation). Returned it to its previous location, atop the alien which was on standby. (i powered off the alien at the switch). Left it on for an hour, no reoccurance. Turned on the alien, still no reoccurance, despite alot of heat being generated.
    No further reoccurance. I suspect a loose hdmi connection perhaps (simple cause if often the root!). But will keep an the heat (over heating).

So, now I back to being very happy with the box. Have installed Kodi. Not as fast as I hoped it would be. Everything else is spot on really.

Just as a note.
    I have found that i am no longer visiting the satellite forums here on boards looking for solutions to issues . Am using the openATV image, and it just works smoothly.
    Can wholeheartedly recommend.

• Advertisement

Just as a note.
    I have found that i am no longer visiting the satellite forums here on boards looking for solutions to issues . Am using the openATV image, and it just works smoothly.
    Can wholeheartedly recommend.

Good to hear that.
    I upgraded to Openatv 6.3 last week ,it seems stable enough so far but the USB DVD-T tuner seems to lose signal every so often and necessitates a hard reboot to resolve the issue.

How do you find the Mutant picture quality wise Slevster ?

Advertisement