Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutant HD51 Sat Reciever

Options
  • 25-01-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

After having a ameiko alien triple tuner for years we are finally going our separate ways :) have a Mutant HD51 reciever coming today did a lot of research so we'll see how we get on with it if anyone has questions fire away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Have mine a few months now and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

great box, lightning fast, pity there is not more 4k content available for it ..
    If your stuck looking for an almost ready to go image for it have a look at the ones from enigma2community.com

https://enigma2community.com/repo/?dir=E2%20Community%20Backup%20Images
    They have it mostly configured and provide support for it on the forum and if you bought from http://www.xbmcwizard.co.uk/ it should come with it preinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Yeah thanks I'll have a look at those images i got vix preloaded from world of satellite for €230 so I'll see how it goes. I had to get 2 sat tuners installed as i want to record stuff so no room for a onboard terrestrial tuner, i have a cheapy USB tuner for terrestial/saorview on the way as well can I ask what you guys did regarding recieving terrestial/saorview and did anyone manage to get the bigger 3.5" hard drive to fit
    Thanks

tommycahir wrote: »
    great box, lightning fast, pity there is not more 4k content available for it ..
    If your stuck looking for an almost ready to go image for it have a look at the ones from enigma2community.com

https://enigma2community.com/repo/?dir=E2%20Community%20Backup%20Images
    They have it mostly configured and provide support for it on the forum and if you bought from http://www.xbmcwizard.co.uk/ it should come with it preinstalled.

Thanks tommy had a spot of bother with the Vix Image I had preinstalled so went with the one you suggested above fantastic ready to go image

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

After having a ameiko alien triple tuner for years we are finally going our separate ways :) have a Mutant HD51 reciever coming today did a lot of research so we'll see how we get on with it if anyone has questions fire away

How does the picture quality on 1080p and standard definition material compare with the Alien 2 ?

I'm curious as the receiver uses an Arm based cpu so it should technically produce a better picture than Mips based receivers and something similar to SH4 based receivers.
    From briefly reading German forums ,the general consensus is that the picture quality is better than Mips receivers.

• Advertisement

@Zardoz
    picture quality which I'm a real fussy guy about is definitely much better on HD channels so very impressed, had heard the picture quality was much than others which was one of the reasons I went for an Arm processor, seems the SD has improved as well, had a problem with the preloaded vix image so installed OpenATV which works better with oscam happy enough with the picture quality there to, I'm waiting for a usb-dvb-tuner for it so haven't had the chance to test out saorview channel quality, should have got WOS to install a onboard terrestial tuner instead of a second sat tuner, backing up an image is a breeze to do.
    Overall delighted with picture quality and how responsive it is
    Are you thinking of retiring the Ameiko?

@Zardoz
    picture quality which I'm a real fussy guy about is definitely much better on HD channels so very impressed, had heard the picture quality was much than others which was one of the reasons I went for an Arm processor, seems the SD has improved as well, had a problem with the preloaded vix image so installed OpenATV which works better with oscam happy enough with the picture quality there to, I'm waiting for a usb-dvb-tuner for it so haven't had the chance to test out saorview channel quality, should have got WOS to install a onboard terrestial tuner instead of a second sat tuner, backing up an image is a breeze to do.
    Overall delighted with picture quality and how responsive it is
    Are you thinking of retiring the Ameiko?

Thanks Skippy along,
    I have been planning to upgrade the Amiko for a long time but any of the receivers I tried to replace it with were Mips based and and whilst the performance was fine ,the picture quality was not satisfactory.

I've been holding off for an Arm based high end receiver like the Mutant as picture quality is of primary concern to me.
    A pity the Mutant doesnt have the option of a third tuner but a USB Tuner should be acceptable .

Is the remote control ok ,it looks a bit plasticky and generic.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thanks Skippy along,
    I have been planning to upgrade the Amiko for a long time but any of the receivers I tried to replace it with were Mips based and and whilst the performance was fine ,the picture quality was not satisfactory.

I've been holding off for an Arm based high end receiver like the Mutant as picture quality is of primary concern to me.
    A pity the Mutant doesnt have the option of a third tuner but a USB Tuner should be acceptable .

Is the remote control ok ,it looks a bit plasticky and generic.

Have a cheapo USB tuner coming from China should work with the ATV image which has the Realtek RTL2832U driver's for it, if that don't work plan B I'll just whip out one of the Sat tuners an get a internal one from WOS £30 I'll let you know how i get on regarding the USB one
    To get the best out of the HD picture you'd want a 40 to 50 TV mines a 50" so you won't be disappointed

The only thing I'm disappointed by is the remote its likely taken from some parts bin it really is shocking the buttons require a fair bit of pressure but I'd live with that because it's such a great box

The only thing I'm disappointed by is the remote its likely taken from some parts bin it really is shocking the buttons require a fair bit of pressure but I'd live with that because it's such a great box

Alot.of people with the hd51 have gone for the "one for all essence 4 in 1 remote" in place of the mutant one..

Thanks tommy you just cost me €26.99 reserved in Argos
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1066768/Trail/searchtext>One+for+all+essence.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Thanks tommy you just cost me €26.99 reserved in Argos
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1066768/Trail/searchtext>One+for+all+essence.htm

Is it same one in maplin cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

GY A1 wrote: »
    Is it same one in maplin cheaper
    GY A1 wrote: »

Yip the essence 7140 is the one i was referring to it's in Maplin for cheaper as per GY A1
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/one-for-all-urc7140-essence-4-in-1-remote-control-a22jz

It is also currently 24.99 in Tesco so that price in maplin is very good.

I'm sorted lads:D should be miles better than the standard crappy remote

Have a cheapo USB tuner coming from China should work with the ATV image which has the Realtek RTL2832U driver's for it, if that don't work plan B I'll just whip out one of the Sat tuners an get a internal one from WOS £30 I'll let you know how i get on regarding the USB one
    To get the best out of the HD picture you'd want a 40 to 50 TV mines a 50" so you won't be disappointed

Thanks
    I have a 50 inch Plasma and a 43 inch Plasma ,both pretty high end ,so get a good picture .

That remote is a big drawback though ,a pity .

sugarman wrote: »
    As i said, if your tv has hdmi-cec you can use your tv's remote

@sugarman If you could Let us know how you get with that. I got the one 4 all this morning so will see how that goes later. @sugarman what image did you go for?

As i said, if your tv has hdmi-cec you can use your tv's remote

Cool,I had forgotten about that.
    I do have hdmi-cec on my Tvs.

How well does that work,can you choose the button mapping ?

If your looking for a ready to go plug an play ATV image the guys over in the Enigma2community have a fantastic one https://enigma2community.com/thread-64.html

Got the one 4 all remote setup took 10 minutes delighted with it all functions mapped from the original remote to the corresponding buttons on the one 4 all, very happy also with the not having to point the remote directly at the box for it to take effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

tommycahir wrote:
    It is also currently 24.99 in Tesco so that price in maplin is very good.

Tesco in Bray are selling those remotes in their clearance sale for 8.70e.

The one on maplins website says it's discontinued http://www.maplin.ie/p/one-for-all-urc7140-essence-4-in-1-remote-control-a22jz
    Was in maplin today they only had one one4all remote at €19.95
    http://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc7110-essence-tv.html which is a bog standard TV remote replacement and won't work with multiple devices
    This is the one I got today in Argos and is a 4 way sat/tv/amp/blu Ray €26.99 does the job perfectly http://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc7140-essence-4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

which is a bog standard TV remote replacement and won't work with multiple devices This is the one I got today in Argos and is a 4 way sat/tv/amp/blu Ray €26.99 does the job perfectl

Tesco Bray have 7110@ 4.99e, 7120 @ 7e, 7140 @ 8.70e

That's a great price! would you be open to purchasing a few for your fellow boardies on here if they wanted one?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Those One For All remotes are exellent and well laid out. At that Tesco price, that's a steal and well worthy of purchase.

Hi Guys, just wondering what USB DVB T2 tuner ya have ordered? Looking to get one for my Zgemma but any of the ones I'm looking at on ebay don't ship to Ireland

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just wondering what USB DVB T2 tuner ya have ordered? Looking to get one for my Zgemma but any of the ones I'm looking at on ebay don't ship to Ireland

Hi Tommy have a USB DVT coming next week form china its not a " T2 " though http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331349521661?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Finally got around to setting this up and... box is dead:mad:

Well not dead, but not displaying.

Tried a number of different HDMI and different sockets, all workings through my other box / PS4.

LCD on the box just comes us as HD51 STB 4K, on switch doesnt do anything.

Any ideas?

Step 1 flash a new image to it either a backup one like e2comm or a vanilla openatv nightly one

After 4 weeks I eventually received the USB Dvb- terrestrial tuner for saorview channels and I'm delighted to say it's working perfectly!!! the best €8 I spent all year

• Advertisement

After 4 weeks I eventually received the USB Dvb- terrestrial tuner for saorview channels and I'm delighted to say it's working perfectly!!! the best 8 euro I spent all year

Advertisement