Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutant HD51 Sat Reciever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Anyone manage to for a 3.5" hdd in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

irishchris wrote: »
    Anyone manage to for a 3.5" hdd in this?

I did, had to remove the 2.5" caddy and lie it flat, now it ain't screwed in but does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

One of the guys on Twitter has compiled a new openatv image with kodi built in if anybody here is interested in testing it out

https://twitter.com/dannyhow187/status/839234691194580993

sugarman wrote: »
    Will give it a go later, how reliable is this lad?

He's a good guy, has done alot of builds for vu+ boxes and posts them on vu+ images forum..

He knows his enigma2 stuff..

Of course if your trying it.. back up your existing image 1st..

• Advertisement

Someone on Twitter tried and kodi not working yet on it.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

What LNB did you guys use when upgrading to a 4k Mutant/Octagon box?

Standard skyQ LNB?

SkyQ LNB will not work with a FTA receiver you will need the hybrid SkyQ LNB.
    If you have the older sky+ or sky+hd then the standard sky lnb you have will work fine.

I have the old sky+ LNB, saves me €50, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is that a triple tuner box?

• Advertisement

Triple - twin sat and one T2. Have to hang a saorview aerial

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon/octagon-sf4008-combo-2xdvb-s-s2-s2x-plus-1x-dvb-c-t-t2yet.

It works and works very very well from all reports i have seen..

However you need to flash with the latest openatv 6.0 image to be able to install from plugins..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Does anyone know if the Play TV will work with the Mutant for Saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Zardoz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Play TV will work with the Mutant for Saorview ?

Should work with any enogma2

GY A1 wrote: »
    Should work with any enogma2

Thanks,I managed to get an old WandTv stick I had going for Saorview.

First impressions on the receiver ,its a very nice piece of kit ,very fast and the remote is better than I had been led to believe.
    I'm running it on a 1080p Plasma and sadly the picture quality is not as good as I had been led to believe.
    Despite having an Arm chipset the picture is just as bad as a MIPS receiver,its noticeably inferior to the Alien 2 .
    I'm very disappointed ,I've tried so many Mips receivers and I thought the Mutant as it was an Arm processor would be better but alas its not,I think I'm wasting my time trying to find a receiver with as good a picture as the Alien 2 .:(

The only thing I'm disappointed by is the remote its likely taken from some parts bin it really is shocking the buttons require a fair bit of pressure but I'd live with that because it's such a great box

I'm wondering have they improved the remote because I cant fault it at all ,the buttons are nice and soft ,you don't have to point it at the box and its very smooth.
    One of the best remotes I've used .

I'm wondering have they improved the remote because I cant fault it at all ,the buttons are nice and soft ,you don't have to point it at the box and its very smooth.

I only used mine for a few days probably didn't give it a chance went for a one4all happy with it.. How you getting on with the picture quality did you adjust video /Display settings in the box menu

I only used mine for a few days probably didn't give it a chance went for a one4all happy with it.. How you getting on with the picture quality did you adjust video /Display settings in the box menu

I tried lots of things to improve the picture ,I literally drove myself and Mrs Zardoz mad from it.:o
    I tried Openatv,Vix, and HDFreaks images and found that Openatv gave the best picture .
    Vix and HD Freaks default settings are terrible ,ridiculously high contrast and brightness levels,low gamma ,not condusive to a good picture at all.
    Openatv was better.

I tinkered with lots of things on the tv ,and the video enhancement settings on the receiver too .
    Contrast,Brightness,Color,Saturation,Hue,Saturation,White Balance and whilst I improved it its still not as good as the Aliens.

The picture on the Mutant is almost identical to that on an Edision Mini I have ,that's a Mips based processor.
    I've had lots of MIPS receivers and sold most of them on as the picture especially SD was sub par .
    The reason I bought the Mutant was because its an Arm processor and its supposed to give a superior picture to Mips receivers and as good as SH4 receivers like the Alien.

Its a real shame as its an excellent receiver .
    I like the multiboot function and Kodi is very good on it .
    Its very fast to boot and runs really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

To all mutant hd51 owners.

image to use and what plugins do you recommend?

• Advertisement

cargen wrote: »
    To all mutant hd51 owners.

image to use and what plugins do you recommend?

There are 4 different image partitions on the Mutant so you can try out the different ones .
    I prefer Openatv ,but I also have Vix and HDFreaks installed.
    You can multiboot so switching between the images is easy.

The main plugins I use are Epg-Importer,Crossepg, Mediaportal,IPTV Player,Autoresolution and Kodi.
    Alot of the basic plugins are built into the images.

I'm happy with the picture on the receiver now.
    I have the Autoresolution plugin displaying the SD channels in their native mode ,which means the tv does the scaling instead of the receiver,this gives a much better picture.The scaling on the receiver is poor.
    I also have the Colorspace as BT709 .
    The picture now is as good as my Alien 2.

There are 4 different image partitions on the Mutant so you can try out the different ones .
    I prefer Openatv ,but I also have Vix and HDFreaks installed.
    You can multiboot so switching between the images is easy.

The main plugins I use are Epg-Importer,Crossepg, Mediaportal,IPTV Player,Autoresolution and Kodi.
    Alot of the basic plugins are built into the images.

I'm happy with the picture on the receiver now.
    I have the Autoresolution plugin displaying the SD channels in their native mode ,which means the tv does the scaling instead of the receiver,this gives a much better picture.The scaling on the receiver is poor.
    I also have the Colorspace as BT709 .
    The picture now is as good as my Alien 2.

Thanks.
    I am using openvix. What is different in openatv?

Can you also give more info on mediaportal? What is the difference from Kodi?

cargen wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I am using openvix. What is different in openatv?

Can you also give more info on mediaportal? What is the difference from Kodi?

Openatv and Openvix are very similar ,they are both part of the OE-Alliance so alot of the code would be shared.
    I prefer Openatv because I find the picture quality better on it ,the contrast levels on Vix are way too high.

Mediaportal has apps built into it unlike Kodi which requires you to install addons .
    I mostly use the Apple trailers app plus a few others.
    Install it and give it a go .

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Hi Folks
    how exactly does one use the dual tuners (2 inputs on the satellite tuner) on the HD51 box
    when i go into settings only one DVB S2 tuner in the settings is shown but why then are there 2 satellite inputs on the DVB/S2 tuner ?
    thanks
    Don

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Going to purchase this in place of the Tiviar Alpha Plus on the recommendation of Zardoz for the better picture quality with the ARM processor. Bit of a satelite noob however so bit confused as to the tuner options:
    Single Satellite DVB-S/S2/S2X
    Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2
    I'm not looking to pay Sky or cable subscriptions so I presume the hybrid tuner is kind of pointless of can you use that for soarview? Having the option to watch and record two separate FTA satellite channels could be useful so I'm presuming I'll need two single satellite tuners for that, one tuner for watching and the other for recording? For saorview then I can go with a USB DVB-T tuner stick as recommended earlier in this thread but kind of annoying that the one box can't do all.
    I was looking at the Technomate TM-Twin 4K box and while it has the benefit of an extra GB of RAM it only has one satellite tuner DVB-S/S2 and two cable tuners DVC-C which doesn't suit my requirements.

Going to purchase this in place of the Tiviar Alpha Plus on the recommendation of Zardoz for the better picture quality with the ARM processor. Bit of a satelite noob however so bit confused as to the tuner options:
    Single Satellite DVB-S/S2/S2X
    Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2
    I'm not looking to pay Sky or cable subscriptions so I presume the hybrid tuner is kind of pointless of can you use that for soarview? Having the option to watch and record two separate FTA satellite channels could be useful so I'm presuming I'll need two single satellite tuners for that, one tuner for watching and the other for recording? For saorview then I can go with a USB DVB-T tuner stick as recommended earlier in this thread but kind of annoying that the one box can't do all.
    I was looking at the Technomate TM-Twin 4K box and while it has the benefit of an extra GB of RAM it only has one satellite tuner DVB-S/S2 and two cable tuners DVC-C which doesn't suit my requirements.

I have recently got the mutant with two dvb-s2 and I have bought a cheap usb stick for saorview.
    No issue with the setting and very happy with the box.

sugarman wrote: »

I love this box, very snappy and great support for it so far. Im still not convinced by the picture quality tho, so you might be let down by that yourself. I mean, its grand, better than anything I had before it but Ive seen other boxes like the Edision Mini connected to a 4K upscaled by the TV and I thought that looked ...but could have been the TV.

I know what you are saying but the picture quality is about as good as you are going to get with either an Arm or Mips processor.

Its definitely better than the Edision Mini,I have one of them too.
    Thats a MIPS processor ,and like all Mips based receivers the picture quality is not its strength.

Its a real pity none of these more powerful receivers can match the Sh4 processor receivers for picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is it worth adding both tuners as S2X to these devices?
    What is the recommended Enigma image to use for this?
    Finally, 500GB should record about 500 hours of video (less if HD, or 4K) - correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Going to pull the trigger soon. Can someone confirm if the OpenATV image is better than the OpenVix image. I see Zardoz states that (s)he thinks the OpenATV image is better.

Is that the consensus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I prefer openATV. AFAIK both it and openVIX have the same core components. I find openATV has more options in terms of settings and plugins. In the end it boils down to personal preference. Some people like Windows 7, others swear by (at) Windows 10 :). Both do a similar job in the end.

Advertisement