Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair reserved seating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ted1 wrote: »
    The adults don't

I know, I have acknowledged that in above posts which you have missed.

This discussion made me check the seat prices for my upcoming flight, half price! Brilliant! Window seat for €3 each way!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The cost depends on your flight and what seat you choose. I've never seen €2.50 though.
    I've reserved my seat over the past couple of months on at least a dozen flights where the cost was reduced to 2 Euro each way (all travelling midweek).

I don't join the early boarding queues. My bag easily fits under the seat. Just wait til nearly last to board. Saves all that standing around prior to actually going out onto the ramp to board.

I have found people already sitting in my seat on numerous occasions mainly due to the fact that the seat indicators on the overheads are F E D rather than D E F. There is a window graphic beside the F but some people don't see it and never even think to look at their boarding passes. On just the one flight a chancer refused to move so I called CC who got him out rapid. He had been allocated a middle seat further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Question...if two people are booked under the same confirmation are they guaranteed to sit next to to each other when checking in for free?
    If you check in both people at the same time, you should get seats together. If you don't, then you definitely won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

ted1 wrote: »
    4 people by 6euro each (each way ) is 48 euro

It's never 2.50 , they do a half price deal if you book with kids as you have to reserve and that's 4 euro each way

Never?
    I just did a quick attempt to book a return flight for one week from now, seats are offered for €2, discounted from €4.
    I will say I was stating for each person, and it is always dependant on whats offered at the time, the flight etc, but I have usually seen that price quoted, I thought it was €2.50, but its actually €2 this time.

I took from your post to mean 1 seat for one journey for the OP.
    "Every one gets an allocated seat, you just choose to pay an extra 50 euro for yours" but regardless, it's dependant on whats available at that time. In my own experience thats €4 return, which if its available to the OP, it would tot up to €16, assuming that is available or maybe €32 if not. They just have to see what the cost is when booking.

Someone else mentioned children are free, which in my experience is correct if booked with an adult. I cant see generally why anyone would be booking a child (who gets a booked seat for free) without an adult. I know I travelled as a child to the UK alone, but I dont know what the age limits are on it these days or what is or is not allowed as I have not tried to book my 4yo on a flight alone :).

Personally, I try book in advance as much as possible and preferably on days when it will be cheaper again if possible, but I find booking a seat less hassle than anything else and getting on early, particularly on a busy flight practically garauntees overhead luggage space, but if they offer free checked baggage, thats just a benefit to me.

• Advertisement

You cannot book a child alone, so child seats are free all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Found this to be extremely common, a lot of hard necks out there. Of course if you travel a bit you notice a lot of the seats near the front can be empty so may as well try it!
    Mebuntu wrote: »
    I've reserved my seat over the past couple of months on at least a dozen flights where the cost was reduced to 2 Euro each way (all travelling midweek).

I don't join the early boarding queues. My bag easily fits under the seat. Just wait til nearly last to board. Saves all that standing around prior to actually going out onto the ramp to board.

I have found people already sitting in my seat on numerous occasions mainly due to the fact that the seat indicators on the overheads are F E D rather than D E F. There is a window graphic beside the F but some people don't see it and never even think to look at their boarding passes. On just the one flight a chancer refused to move so I called CC who got him out rapid. He had been allocated a middle seat further up.

I am a female traveller and when I travel alone I always and I say always get allocated a middle seat. I am a frequent traveller, I also noticed that all seats have adverts on the back of them. The middle seats have adverts regarding coffee and beauty. I observed on my last few flights that its all females were in the middle seats. The isle and window seats have adverts for food items more suitable for males. Anyone else notice that. Take a look next time you are flying?

I tried to book a middle seat in row 6 on a ryanair flight to sit beside my friend who was on a window seat and was told it was €6 each way. That was €12 round trip. I did not of course take it and got as usual a middle seat near the back. Like I mentioned all the middle seats around me were occupied by females.... coincidence?????? Like I said the adverts on middle seats are for beauty and coffee...... is that a clue????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

sorry how is her observation not true? She's talking about free allocated seating where you don't have a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

The wife and I yesterday on the same booking - outbound 2a and 30d , return 11a and 24a .

Seat swapping was extremely in evidence all round so that relations could sit together.

I can not see how turnround times will be achieved with this malarkey , especially once the MAX 200s come on line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Flew LGW-SNN last week and there were repeated announcements from crew for pax to take their seats after the doors had been closed as lots of swaparooing going on. Added 5 min before we pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I think what FR are hoping is after this experience people will pay for seats. I know I did for my return flight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jjbrien wrote: »
    I think what FR are hoping is after this experience people will pay for seats. I know I did for my return flight.
    Precisely. MoL has previously proudly stated about how the FR strict cabin baggage policy has changed passenger behaviour.
    I suspect they aim to do the same with their seating assigment system.
    Personally I dont think it is 'deliberate', more than their checkin system doesnt aim to assign similar seats to pax on the same booking. ie. It treats each pax as an individual and give thrm a 'random' seat.

Precisely. MoL has previously proudly stated about how the FR strict cabin baggage policy has changed passenger behaviour.

That , in fact, is why I find it strange they are not crowing about this "Find a New Friend On Ryanair" campaign lol

trellheim wrote: »
    That , in fact, is why I find it strange they are not crowing about this "Find a New Friend On Ryanair" campaign lol

Lol remember I remember a few years ago was sitting beside some guy on Ryanair he was drinking and got me some drink too he way paying all the way so I said why not

Wonder will this happen more due to people not wanting to drink alone. Personally i wouldn't for just a short flight to Gatwick

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would be hard to get to 261 levels over the course of a day unless they start doing more flights to severely slot constrained airports with the same frames - however, what I could see happening is an incident where a seat swap resumes after the crew assumed everyone had sat down and there's an incident (of any description - larger delay/injury/something causing a fine/whatever you like) during taxi or takeoff as a result.

L1011 wrote: »
    Would be hard to get to 261 levels over the course of a day unless they start doing more flights to severely slot constrained airports with the same frames - however, what I could see happening is an incident where a seat swap resumes after the crew assumed everyone had sat down and there's an incident (of any description - larger delay/injury/something causing a fine/whatever you like) during taxi or takeoff as a result.

Could happen at Gatwick or Stansted I have been on flights who missed their slots and we ended up having to sit on the ground for up to an hour waiting on a new slot to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

This seating system SUCKS!

I just booked in myself and the three kids. We were allocated seats 2E, 4E, 5E and 16E.

It would have been €64 for allocated seats (€16 per seat - "from €4" my aras), each way.

No way is this random seat allocation. It's obviously aimed at 'persuading' passengers to pay out more money.

Ryanair's 'friendly' approach just got thrown out.

As i said above the wife and I both got random window seats just at different ends of the plane so its not locked to middle seats

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

deandean wrote: »
    This seating system SUCKS!

It would have been €64 for allocated seats (€16 per seat - "from €4" my aras), each way.

But you could have purchased seats together at the time of booking for a lot less.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    But you could have purchased seats together at the time of booking for a lot less.

Plenty of tickets out there bought well before the policy changed and people had no realistic reason to expect the seats to be so deliberately distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

trellheim wrote: »
    As i said above the wife and I both got random window seats just at different ends of the plane so its not locked to middle seats

No, but it seems they fill middle seats first, which will have the knock on effect that people checking in after you have less choices of 2 seats together, which will make them annoyed and disappointed they hadn't paid for seats up front, and everyone will start to pay.

Clearly (in my mind) the purpose of all of this. Everyone will pay for their seat and Ryanair shareholders will be delighted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

For those unhappy with this situation, please note that families getting spit up happens on Aer Lingus as well.
    I know from my other half that she and other crew regularly have to try to move passengers in order to get kids with parents.

So dont be thinking that Ryanair are the only boogie man on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Looked into booking seats, cheapest is €9 and the majority of seats are unavailable. I'm assuming they do this to make you think they are all reserved so you panic and try grab the last two together whereas there may actually be loads of seats left and they'll most likely give you two together on the day. I'm purely speculating on this but wondering how likely it is that the majority of seats are pre-booked?

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    and they'll most likely give you two together on the day

They effectively won't give you two together ever unless you pay now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Trampas

Let's say you're travelling with a 2-3 year old.

Are they expected to sit on their own beside some stranger?

They won't let under 16 fly on their own but think it's ok to sit them 20 odd rows apart.

Shouldn't have to pay for this.

Advertisement