Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair reserved seating

Options
  • 22-01-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I just booked a Ryanair flight for 4 people in May. A friend advised me to select seats which I did at €6 each. I just wonder are the seats marked 'reserved' when you get on. Is there a possibility that other passengers could be sitting in my seats resulting in all sorts of problems.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I just booked a Ryanair flight for 4 people in May. A friend advised me to select seats which I did at €6 each. I just wonder are the seats marked 'reserved' when you get on. Is there a possibility that other passengers could be sitting in my seats resulting in all sorts of problems.
    Thanks

No. Your seat number will be printed on your boarding pass when you check in. You need to check in online and print the passes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When those who have not payed to reserve a seat Check In they are assigned a seat on the plane, everyone has a seat assigned to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

When those who have not payed to reserve a seat Check In they are assigned a seat on the plane, everyone has a seat assigned to them.

Yes, everyone is assigned a seat. If you choose to pay then you can select which one from what's left available at that point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

Dovies wrote: »
    No. Your seat number will be printed on your boarding pass when you check in. You need to check in online and print the passes
    Thanks but what I'm wondering is will there be a physical sign or something similar on the seats on the plane. I assume there are still loads of people that don't reserve seats and could they be already sitting in on our seats by the time we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,330 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks but what I'm wondering is will there be a physical sign or something similar on the seats on the plane. I assume there are still loads of people that don't reserve seats and could they be already sitting in on our seats by the time we get on.

Every one gets an allocated seat, you just choose to pay an extra 50 euro for yours. If someone is sitting in yours just tell them to move to their allocated seat.

• Advertisement

Thanks - it's been a while since I flew Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not like Iarnród Éireann, where anyone could be sitting in your reserved seat.

On planes, everyone is assigned a seat (either by purchasing in advance, or when they check in) and they are expected to sit in it. This is how air travel works. There will be no physical marking on the seat. If someone is sitting in your seat (which can happen by accident), ask them to move to their seat. If they refuse, get the airsteward.

dudara wrote: »
    It's not like Iarnród Éireann, where anyone could be sitting in your reserved seat.

On planes, everyone is assigned a seat (either by purchasing in advance, or when they check in) and they are expected to sit in it. This is how air travel works. There will be no physical marking on the seat. If someone is sitting in your seat (which can happen by accident), ask them to move to their seat. If they refuse, get the airsteward.
    I always remember boarding a Ryanair flight was like fighting a battle - but as I said it's been a couple of years since I flew with them - last few times it was with Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Ryanair used to be free seating, a small handful would have paid for emergency exits and front/back rows to get off quicker. This meant it was manic getting on as everyone wanted to get on first.
    Now everybody is assigned a specific seat. Sometimes a person is seated in the right row but wrong seat, just mention their in your seat and they'll move.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

As mentioned every passenger on the flight will have an assigned seat, so you don't need to worry, your seats will not be gone! 
    I still find boarding Ryanair to feel like a battle, there is always a mad rush and often people standing in que 40 mins before departure. However don't be concerned, this is not to do with seating, its the battle for overhead locker space. Personally I tend to gate check my bag and wait until the very end to board, I just find it so much nicer when you just chill! Unless I'm in a rush and need to be somewhere when I land, in which case priority boarding is necessary. 
    Either way seating on Ryanair is not something you need to be worried about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Locker10a wrote: »
    As mentioned every passenger on the flight will have an assigned seat, so you don't need to worry, your seats will not be gone! 
    I still find boarding Ryanair to feel like a battle, there is always a mad rush and often people standing in que 40 mins before departure. However don't be concerned, this is not to do with seating, its the battle for overhead locker space. Personally I tend to gate check my bag and wait until the very end to board, I just find it so much nicer when you just chill! Unless I'm in a rush and need to be somewhere when I land, in which case priority boarding is necessary. 
    Either way seating on Ryanair is not something you need to be worried about

I do the same, I never understand why people are so eager to be first on and first off, especially on late evening flights where you're landing after 11pm. I much rather wait and be relaxed, if I have to check my bag so be it!

I quite like the way the domestic/Ireland flights are handled in Newcastle airport, once the gate is announced there is someone there scanning boarding passes, once that is done everyone waits at the gate with plenty of seating, and then people board. Much more relaxed.

With Aer Lingus then they call the first half of the plane, and then the second half, Ryanair just announce boarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

ted1 wrote: »
    Every one gets an allocated seat, you just choose to pay an extra 50 euro for yours. If someone is sitting in yours just tell them to move to their allocated seat.

It's not €50 extra for a seat, its about 4 euro and that can be discounted to €2.50, if the flight is full, they'll realise there won't be much space in the lockers and won't garauntee it but allow free checked baggage at that point, by the time you get to the baggage carousel the bags are there so no delay and no cost to book them in.

cerastes wrote: »
    It's not €50 extra for a seat, its about 4 euro and that can be discounted to €2.50, if the flight is full, they'll realise there won't be much space in the lockers and won't garauntee it but allow free checked baggage at that point, by the time you get to the baggage carousel the bags are there so no delay and no cost to book them in.

The cost depends on your flight and what seat you choose. I've never seen €2.50 though.

cerastes wrote: »

4 people by 6euro each (each way ) is 48 euro

It's never 2.50 , they do a half price deal if you book with kids as you have to reserve and that's 4 euro each way

ted1 wrote: »
    4 people by 6euro each (each way ) is 48 euro

It's never 2.50 , they do a half price deal if you book with kids as you have to reserve and that's 4 euro each way

Nope, children now have free reserved seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think they have sales if not enough have sold by a certain time.
    I booked a seat for €3 plus 10 cent handling charge on Thursday.

I think they have sales if not enough have sold by a certain time.
    I booked a seat for €3 plus 10 cent handling charge on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Question...if two people are booked under the same confirmation are they guaranteed to sit next to to each other when checking in for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Question...if two people are booked under the same confirmation are they guaranteed to sit next to to each other when checking in for free?

No not necessarily. Did this in the past and ended up in seperate seats.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Thursday lunchtime for a flight next Saturday AM.

Thanks again for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

There's a catch with the "free" kids seats. You have to buy an adult one, you've no choice. So the two "free" seats cost me an extra 36 euro this year for my family holiday as I had to buy a seat for myself to get the two kids seats and then to make sure my wife was beside us I had to buy her seat as well, 18 quid each way. Last year I just checked in online the week before we left and we all got seats together, that were actually "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭amber2

superg wrote: »
    There's a catch with the "free" kids seats. You have to buy an adult one, you've no choice. So the two "free" seats cost me an extra 36 euro this year for my family holiday as I had to buy a seat for myself to get the two kids seats and then to make sure my wife was beside us I had to buy her seat as well, 18 quid each way. Last year I just checked in online the week before we left and we all got seats together, that were actually "free".

Don't know from a transparency perspective how they are getting away with the free kids seat, if you select the same flight and select teens instead of child the flight will work out cheaper, same flight & same fare.

amber2 wrote: »
    Don't know from a transparency perspective how they are getting away with the free kids seat, if you select the same flight and select teens instead of child the flight will work out cheaper, same flight & same fare.

I found it strange too, being forced to buy an adult seat. They're transparent enough about the extra fee, but still thought it strange.

You can't book a child on a teen fare, as you'll be fecked when you try to put in the passport information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭amber2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I found it strange too, being forced to buy an adult seat. They're transparent enough about the extra fee, but still thought it strange.

You can't book a child on a teen fare, as you'll be fecked when you try to put in the passport information.

But the hidden charge for children seems to apply ever before you get to purchasing & selecting the one adult seat part. If you just calculate the cost of the outbound & inbound flight with a child the fares don't add up there's €8 of a difference ever before you select the adult seat.

amber2 wrote: »
    But the hidden charge for children seems to apply ever before you get to purchasing & selecting the one adult seat part. If you just calculate the cost of the outbound & inbound flight with a child the fares don't add up there's €8 of a difference ever before you select the adult seat.

Remember, it's €4 each way not return!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Nope, children now have free reserved seats.

The adults don't

sugarman wrote: »
    Other than having small children, I just can't get my head around why people feel the need to sit next to each other for what are usually such short flights.

Any time I went away with friends or the girlfriend we'd just sit wherever we were assigned. We're going to be spending the next few days / weeks together anyway!

Different strokes for different folks, I can understand the desire to sit togeather for certain circumstances. Perhaps a group holiday, family holiday and a group of people would like to spend it togeather so they can chat, have a drink, be sociable on the flight, and that's understandable to me.
    Sure for a flight to the UK it may not be worth it, but a 3 hour holiday flight I can understand.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »

Correct, if there are children travelling then at least ONE adult must purchase their seat selection,this then allows the chrildrens steats to also be selected for free so the chrildren are accompanied or sitting next to an adult.
    This rule came about last year because so many flights suffered delayed departures by Families turning up with separated seats, insisting on being seated togeather.
    This meant the cabin crew had to move around seated passengers, some who had paid for their seats and it was causing a huge mess for Ryanair and as mentioned delayed boardings and departure.
    They put their foot down and now you're forced to ensure your kids seats are chosen before check in.

Advertisement