Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire brigade charges

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

infogiver wrote: »
    I get where your coming from but theres two sides to that story.
    If you have no charges to emergency services then you will have
    1. someone with a nosebleed ringing an ambulance
    2. people ringing the fire brigade everytime they cook a fry and the smoke alarm starts up

Is this the case in places where it's free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is this the case in places where it's free?

Yes. In the UK the abuse of 999 is reaching crisis point.

http://mashable.com/2016/12/19/london-police-weird-999-calls-2016/#q3.jZT3ijkqE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/your_nhs/3550855.stm

Any examples regarding the fire services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

There should definitely be a fee for ambulance and fire. Like the €100 in A&E. A standard fee, not a large one, to put off wasters and to be affordable for users. I did some work experience in the ambulance service and the level of unnecessary calls was unreal. Some people literally used it as a taxi service. One woman would simply use it to get home with her shopping because she lived near A&E. Granted that was a pretty singular case but it was indicative of how some people treated it. If there was a charge of €75 for an ambulance then people would go with a taxi instead of calling an ambulance and they would be free for genuine emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You think the council sends to fire brigade for debris and spills? They send a couple of guys with sand.
    And I've seen the fire brigade show up to remove blood from the road surface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Victor wrote: »
    And I've seen the fire brigade show up to remove blood from the road surface.

I'm sure you have but they haven't been called for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure you have but they haven't been called for that purpose.
    It was 2 hours after the collision. They came, washed away the blood and left. It's the type of thing that would be added on to another call.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Any examples regarding the fire services?

Probably, if you Google
    They're regularly called during marching season in the North just so gangs can throw rocks at them

Probably, if you Google
    They're regularly called during marching season in the North just so gangs can throw rocks at them
    Probably isn't quite proof.

• Advertisement

Of course I know it happens. I suppose the question I was going to get at was whether the rate of nuisance call outs would be demonstratedly and significantly higher in areas with no charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I get where your coming from but theres two sides to that story.
    If you have no charges to emergency services then you will have
    1. someone with a nosebleed ringing an ambulance
    2. people ringing the fire brigade everytime they cook a fry and the smoke alarm starts up

A solution to that problem would be to charge only for illegitimate call-outs, as is done, successfully enough as far as I know, in some countries, e.g. Norway.

Out of interest, will I be charged a fee if the coast guard is called out to rescue me following an accident at sea?

hognef wrote: »
    A solution to that problem would be to charge only for illegitimate call-outs, as is done, successfully enough as far as I know, in some countries, e.g. Norway.

Out of interest, will I be charged a fee if the coast guard is called out to rescue me following an accident at sea?

If you've got drunk and stolen a jetski yes I think you definitely should be charged but I don't know is the answer to that

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Hello,
    There was a small fire in a rubbish collection area on the site of where my house was built. The site was under building control of my contracted builder. The fire was small caused no damage but a neighbor called the fire brigade and myself and so when I showed up to site the firebrigade did also and put out the fire. I've no issue with what the firebrigade did or indeed being paid for their services however I am getting the bill and repeated threats by the fire department threatening debt collectors if I don't pay. I have explained to them in several letters that i had nothing to do with the fire and that the site was in the legal responsibility of the building contractor who has taken responsibility for the fire and said he will pay the bill if he has to. However they still keep pursuing me for the bill of 800euro with debt collector threats and have don't seem to even want to builders details. I just wanted to ask does anybody know the legal situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You are the owner of the site, you are ultimately responsible for the charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

You'd really wonder sometimes. We pay very high levels of marginal tax and probably the highest motor insurance premiums in the world, yet you're still hit with fees for what should be public or insurer funded services.

I know we like to point the finger when these kinds of fees crop up in the USA but we're almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A local elderly man was badly burnt trying to put out a garden fire that got out of control. It ended up needing 4 appliances for almost 24 hours & a row of houses were endangered. He didn't call the fire service because he was afraid of the bill.

Advertisement