Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire brigade charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If there was someone else summoned to do the job, then no.

But that is who the guards routinely call AFAIK. (Sweeping is outside their skillset.)

You don't know a lot so. Fire service aren't called to clean up anything after a crash. The tow truck driver and Gardaí will clean up small debris. The council will be called for large debris or liquid spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

It should be up to the person who caused the accident to foot the bill,it's a hot topic but if both are to blame then it must be split,in this case you can't fire it off too your insurance company as they don't cover it,no matter how far you go up the ladder that won't change,maybe knowing this will set a fire under you to get it sorted quickly by contacting the other drivers insurance company and this will take some heat off you

There shouldn't be a charge for the service. And what situations do they charge for? If my house is on fire and I call them out am I charged for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

xlogo wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a charge for the service. And what situations do they charge for? If my house is on fire and I call them out am I charged for that?
    Yes, in most or all local authority areas. But your household fire insurance covers it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Who pays for it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Does agreeing to pay for the fire brigade affect any claims for liability in the accident?

• Advertisement

Does agreeing to pay for the fire brigade affect any claims for liability in the accident?

No more than paying for your car to be towed or for a doctor to treat you after.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You don't know a lot so. Fire service aren't called to clean up anything after a crash. The tow truck driver and Gardaí will clean up small debris. The council will be called for large debris or liquid spills.

So why did the OP get a bill?

So why did the OP get a bill?

because they attended. it's a call out charge.

infogiver wrote:
    Who pays for it then?

Taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Taxes

Ah yes, that magical never ending pile of cash we have floating around :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Taxes

you drive into a telegraph pole while testing and make a whole mess and taxes that we need to pay for schools and hospitals and teachers and dpctors should pay to clean it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And the council uses their employees, the fire bridade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Victor wrote: »
    And the council uses their employees, the fire bridade.

You think the council sends to fire brigade for debris and spills? They send a couple of guys with sand.

infogiver wrote:
    you drive into a telegraph pole while testing and make a whole mess and taxes that we need to pay for schools and hospitals and teachers and dpctors should pay to clean it up?

Testing what?

Ah yes, that magical never ending pile of cash we have floating around

Nope - just what there is should be better managed or maybe even an increase if it means somebody won't be in a situation were they have to think "if I dial 999 and the fire brigade come - will I be liable for a charge" and they then walk away just incase they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Nope - just what there is should be better managed or maybe even an increase if it means somebody won't be in a situation were they have to think "if I dial 999 and the fire brigade come - will I be liable for a charge" and they then walk away just incase they are.

If someone walks away from an emergency just because there may a small charge, which most insurance companies cover anyway, then they're (A) An Idiot, and (B) didn't actually need the service in the first place.

Testing what?

typo
    texting I meant.
    Well, who should pay for your mess to be cleaned up?

If someone walks away from an emergency just because there may a small charge, which most insurance companies cover anyway, then they're (A) An Idiot, and (B) didn't actually need the service in the first place.

Lots of idiots out there and lots who just wouldn't know all the facts due to lack of information etc.

Everybody else has to pay more taxes just because you don't want to take personal responsibility for your mistakes?!? do you know how ridiculous that sounds to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

From http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services/dublin-fire-brigade-and-ambulance-service:
    From the 16th January 2012 Fire Service Charges were extended to include call-outs and firefighting services provided to domestic premises and road traffic accidents.

The call out charge for the first hour or part thereof will be €500 in respect of domestic fires, domestic false alarms and domestic chimney fires and €610 for road traffic accidents.

Additional hours or part thereof per fire tender will be €450 for domestic call outs and €485 for road traffic accidents.

Most home Insurance Policies cover fire call out charges and, in such cases, householders can recoup the charge under their policies. No charges will apply to local authority owned properties. Occupiers are encouraged to continue to call for Fire Brigade assistance as normal and as early as possible in a fire event. An appeal system will be in place for cases of hardship.

In cases of Seveso Sites, applications for licences, renewal of licences, table top exercises and full exercises will be calculated on a cost recovery basis.

Unfortunately it does happen. People tend to be pretty ill-informed on their local fire service charges. Some people just assume they will face a massive bill and try put out the fire themselves. People often ring the Gardaí and report the fire because they think if the Gardaí ring the fire service there will be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unfortunately it does happen. People tend to be pretty ill-informed on their local fire service charges. Some people just assume they will face a massive bill and try put out the fire themselves. People often ring the Gardaí and report the fire because they think if the Gardaí ring the fire service there will be no charge.
    I've been to courses run by members of the Cork City Fire Brigade. They repeatedly pointed out that they don't charge for callouts for exactly this reason: people are hesitant to call them when they should. And not when it's obvious they should either. Unexplained smoke, bins on fire, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When in worked in social housing, I had to make a couple of calls to the fire service precisely because our tenants were poor, scared idiots. Didn't matter how much I told them that we would get the bill, they still wouldn't place the call themselves. Even though they needed the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

fepper wrote: »
    whoever caused the accident is usually liable

Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Ah yes, that magical never ending pile of cash we have floating around :rolleyes:

Well, listen. I would rather it is paid from taxes if it stops someone from dicking around if someone is injured or there is a fire, with this 'will I won't I call 999, someone else might or the Gardaí might'.

Or the case of 'Ah no I am grand', heads on home and has a massive injury only to cost the taxpayer more money or dies at home, due to not wanting to fork out 300€.

Or someone trying to put out a fire or won't call in a fire cause they think they'll have to pay money. Either costing more money/causing more damage or worst case someone actually dies in the fire.

Don't complicate these matters, you can do one of two things here. Have it paid from taxes (which I thought was the whole idea of taxes is to fund local services) or two force insurance companies to pay.

Bloody madness having any charges to emergency services IMO.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well, listen. I would rather it is paid from taxes if it stops someone from dicking around if someone is injured or there is a fire, with this 'will I won't I call 999, someone else might or the Gardaí might'.

Or the case of 'Ah no I am grand', heads on home and has a massive injury only to cost the taxpayer more money or dies at home, due to not wanting to fork out 300€.

Or someone trying to put out a fire or won't call in a fire cause they think they'll have to pay money. Either costing more money/causing more damage or worst case someone actually dies in the fire.

Don't complicate these matters, you can do one of two things here. Have it paid from taxes (which I thought was the whole idea of taxes is to fund local services) or two force insurance companies to pay.

Bloody madness having any charges to emergency services IMO.

I get where your coming from but theres two sides to that story.
    If you have no charges to emergency services then you will have
    1. someone with a nosebleed ringing an ambulance
    2. people ringing the fire brigade everytime they cook a fry and the smoke alarm starts up

If you've caused a RTA through your own carelessness and the fire brigade has to clean up your mess in order to make the road safe for everyone else, then you should have to be responsible.
    BTW people with medical cards never have to pay the brigade.

Whats happening in this country and for the last nearly 9 years is theres not enough people paying tax, not enough people paying enough tax and too many people relying on taxpayers money to keep support them.
    Then all the public services come out of taxes too so until we accept that if we want a SW state and we want public services then we will have to have a whole new approach to tax, then we will continue to struggle miserably.

So RTA's are now covered by medical cards if you have to get the FB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

infogiver wrote: »
    I get where your coming from but theres two sides to that story.
    If you have no charges to emergency services then you will have
    1. someone with a nosebleed ringing an ambulance
    2. people ringing the fire brigade everytime they cook a fry and the smoke alarm starts up

If you've caused a RTA through your own carelessness and the fire brigade has to clean up your mess in order to make the road safe for everyone else, then you should have to be responsible.
    BTW people with medical cards never have to pay the brigade.

Whats happening in this country and for the last nearly 9 years is theres not enough people paying tax, not enough people paying enough tax and too many people relying on taxpayers money to keep support them.
    Then all the public services come out of taxes too so until we accept that if we want a SW state and we want public services then we will have to have a whole new approach to tax, then we will continue to struggle miserably.

I hear what your saying, and them people are the same gob****es I would be referring to. I'd rather not have my life in the hands of such idiots and there actions.

They should ditch it and come up with a more workable solution. Or at the very least publish it a bit more to avoid any confusion.

Advertisement