Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire brigade charges

Options
  • 18-01-2017 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in need for a quick advise.

A year ago, I had a car accident. An ambulance showed up, and I was taken to the AE with the other car's driver. A few weeks later, a received a letter from the fire brigade asking me to pay 258 Euro for Fire Service Charges.

First of all, I didn't call the fire brigade neither did I know they showed up. there was no need for them to show up (No fire or someone stuck etc...) and I don't even know who called them. The Gards and an Ambulance showed up on the scene, that's all I've seen.

At the time, I contacted my insurance, but it turned out that my policy didn't cove Fire brigade charges. I discussed the issue with a friend who works in the local County Council, and he assured that if I didn't call the fire services, then I am not liable for the fees.

Fast forward to today, and I receive a letter from the fire brigade threatening me with legal proceedings if I do not pay within 7 days, and stating:

"In cases where legal proceedings are initiated you will be responsible for all legal fees together with the outstanding fire charge"

I actually don't have that amount of money to pay, but also I don't think I should be paying for a service I didn't request!

Where do I stand? any insights are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Was it a Dublin fire service ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

No, the ambulance service was different, I payed for that my self as well as the A&E fees.
    it's the Meath CoCo Fire services.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wistfuleyes

Get a waiver form by ringing the fire service administration line for Meath coco directly. Fill out and submit waiver form. You should be fine then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

whoever caused the accident is usually liable

@wistfuleyes, thanks for the advice. Do I need to state any reasons for requesting a waiver form?

@fepper, there was 2 cars involved in the accident. but also, is that a stated anywhere in the road traffic act?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

@Fred Swanson, I have a letter from the insurance company stating they do not cover the Fire service charges, would that be enough to request a waiver?

rikili wrote: »
    @wistfuleyes, thanks for the advice. Do I need to state any reasons for requesting a waiver form?

@fepper, there was 2 cars involved in the accident. but also, is that a stated anywhere in the road traffic act?

it seems to be protocol now to send out firebrigade as part of other emergency services to any accident usually to clean up any debris and moving vehicles to side of road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ring your insurance company and speak to someone different in the claims department. I was told the same by an customer care rep in my insurance company but I rang a few days later and was speaking to someone else. I told them I was speaking to someone else who said to just contact them when I received the letter and send it in. They didn't question it and agreed. Never heard anything about it since then from themselves or the fire department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But op says he a) he never called the emergency services b) never saw a fire brigade and c) has already paid for the ambulance.....

Why should the fire brigade be charging anyone, let alone the op, in this case?

Just throwing it at his insurance and hoping they pay it is one of those things that ultimately just leads to increasing premiums.

Fire brigade was possibly called by someone due them witnessing the accident. OP may have gone to hospital in ambulance when fire brigade arrived. They bill the registered owner of the car and let the owner take it from there.

At the time, I checked the insurance policy, and it clearly stated that Fire Brigade charges are not covered. I triple checked this already.
    So it's a definite no from the insurance company.

Here's a link to the charges and waivers on the meath coco Fire department

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/FireDepartment/FireBrigadeCharges/

the other vehicle owner will get exactly the same bill from fire brigade dept

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP who do you think cleaned up the debris from the crash? Who removed your car f4om the scene?

fire brigade doesnt know who was liable at accident site so they send on same bill to registered owners and hopefully one of them will pay eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The person who benefits from the service is liable for the charges (i.e the beneficial owner of a vehicle or home etc) irrespective of who makes the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

So they get paid twice for the one job?

But the charge isn't a per job charge, it's a per user or beneficiary charge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Who asked them to?

Debris from traffic accidents should be left where it is?

Who asked them to?

Irrelevant.

If your car is responsible for glass etc on the road, and you are in no fit state to sort it yourself, then the state has to organise it. But you need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm sure you'd be glad of the fire brigade if you needed to be cut out of your car at a RTA. Its better to err on the side of caution, especially considering there were two cars involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

It should be up to the person who caused the accident to foot the bill,it's a hot topic but if both are to blame then it must be split,in this case you can't fire it off too your insurance company as they don't cover it,no matter how far you go up the ladder that won't change,maybe knowing this will set a fire under you to get it sorted quickly by contacting the other drivers insurance company and this will take some heat off you

Thanks all for your replies and advise.
    I talked to the Fire Services, and I have to admit they were very helpful.

When I explained my situation about not being able to fork out the full amount, they agreed to be paid over 12 months by Direct debit.

So all happily sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

OP who do you think cleaned up the debris from the crash? Who removed your car f4om the scene?

Tow truck driver usually does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Irrelevant.

If your car is responsible for glass etc on the road, and you are in no fit state to sort it yourself, then the state has to organise it. But you need to pay.

It takes a fire truck to clean windscreen glass off a road?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »

what happens if fuel is leaking and the possibility of a fire breaking out?

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »

If there was someone else summoned to do the job, then no.

But that is who the guards routinely call AFAIK. (Sweeping is outside their skillset.)

Advertisement