Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Masters

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Ronnie to finish with a 147

You heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sligeach wrote: »
    Perry is a bottler and doesn't have the big time experience. He was 4-1 up, should have been 5-1, but it's all gone pearshaped since then. O'Sullivan will win another undeserved title unfortunately.
    Yes. 7 undeserved UK Masters titles. Also, should have been out in round 1.
    He's lucky the standard of snooker is generally $h1t€. Though I do agree with that statement.
    O'Sullivan has had to do nothing. Perry's completely capitulated. He was showing how O'Sullivan is hugely overrated at the start but then the pressure got to him, actually looking at him, he was bricking it even when he was 4-1 up and should have won the next frame. O'Sullivan hasn't even made a century, like I said, he doesn't have to. It's a farce! Remember last year as well? That was worse.

The English media are a bunch of muppets. Hendry in his pomp would destroy O'Sullivan in his best form and did.

Hilarious stuff, what are you smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Delboy2015

Ah jaysuz Joe

Edit: Come on Joe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Perry is back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Well done Ronnie, another title for the best snooker player ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Ah so happy for you Ronnie! Thank you so much!!!! ��

Also delighted little Ronnie is there with you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Won the tournament where the only match he came close to top gear was vs Fu.

Seems to have a much better attitude and will to win now. Bodes well for the next few years.

Pumped for Sheffield now, going over for a few sessions again, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

What did Jimmy say under his breath at the end of Ronnie's interview? Sounded like "we were all rooting for ya!"

Wouldn't happen on the Beeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

A disappointing final overall. I hope the standard improves over the next few months in time for the world championships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

HisJills wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Permabear wrote: »
    The "Players Tour Championship" was cancelled, renamed to "Players Championship". It will now be played between the Top 16 players, like the UK Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I think the open formats, like the UK Championship, and more tournaments has only really helped the more experienced players. You can see the effect its had with players like Perry, Hawkins and Bingham who are getting more games.

What it hasn't done is help new players coming into the game. Imagine being a young player in the top 100 and getting repeatedly beaten in the first round by top 20 guys. They're learning nothing, and are probably more likely to pack it in than struggle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I dont believe the 128 format helps anybody really. Maybe it gives the lower ranked players the semblance of a chance to progress a few rounds but, long-term, nobody is winning. Asking top ranked players to play in multi-table venues in poor conditions is demeaning, in my opinion (nobody asks Andy Murray to play on Court 14 when he's contesting a Grand Slam), while condemning a lower-ranked player to repeated hammerings against the top pros does little to advance their careers either.

During the week Hearn said the pecking order of tournaments was the Worlds first, Masters second and Uk third and I doubt anyone would disagree with that. But to my mind the UK Champs should be a clear second, as it was for many years before it was emasculated under the current regime. I agree with O'Sullivan's view that the tour cant support 128 pros and that there are too many tournaments clogging up the calendar, often seguing one into the other, indistinct and unmemorable. The old phrase too much bread and not enough butter springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Who won shot of the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

tanko wrote: »

Perry I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

tanko wrote: »

Joe Perry's snooker escape across the table twice. It was a good shot but not all that special really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

HisJills wrote: »
    Really love the masters, the top 16 slugging it out. I think Ronnie is right when he says there should be a few more events on the calendar for only the top 16. So far, this years masters is showing that to be true. It'd be great to have another 2 tournaments during the year in the same format as the masters. I understand the merits of the PTCs and the 128 draw for the UK but the excitement and quality of the matches so far this week have been unparalleled to anything I've watched in the last few years (open to correction on that) since the tour has been revamped, and we're still in the first round! I can't see how adding in another 1 or even 2 events in this format would greatly devalue the tour overall, surely everyone wants to watch the best players going toe to toe! I think it would possibly also reignite the prestige of being in the top 16 so players would be more likely to play other events to maintain/try to get into that bracket so that they are guaranteed entry to these invitational events! What do others think?

Decent looking event on ITV4 this week which kinda fits with this.
    The clunkily titled World Grand Prix.
    It's a ranking event, limited to Top 32, 2 table set-up, 100K to winner, everyone has turned up.
    At the Preston Guild Hall which was always a great venue.

Advertisement