Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Masters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

Shannon757 wrote: »
    4-4 now, great frame from Fu.

What a match! Fu showed such belief to get the job done. Hope he goes far in the tournament.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Really love the masters, the top 16 slugging it out. I think Ronnie is right when he says there should be a few more events on the calendar for only the top 16. So far, this years masters is showing that to be true. It'd be great to have another 2 tournaments during the year in the same format as the masters. I understand the merits of the PTCs and the 128 draw for the UK but the excitement and quality of the matches so far this week have been unparalleled to anything I've watched in the last few years (open to correction on that) since the tour has been revamped, and we're still in the first round! I can't see how adding in another 1 or even 2 events in this format would greatly devalue the tour overall, surely everyone wants to watch the best players going toe to toe! I think it would possibly also reignite the prestige of being in the top 16 so players would be more likely to play other events to maintain/try to get into that bracket so that they are guaranteed entry to these invitational events! What do others think?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Ronnie keeps using the excuse about the poor standard of snooker the lower down the rankings. Tough sh1t Ronnie. The 128 player events are a great idea, will improve the standard and give players lower down the rankings a fair chance.

I totally agree with Permabear. There are very few really good players coming through. I think that young people are just not that interested in snooker. It's such a techical sport which requires so much practice and investment of time for a modest enough reward compared to the like's of rugby, golf, soccer, etc. It also requires a lot of patience and concentration which young people don't seem to have given the advent of phones and tablets, etc.

Also don't forget that snooker isn't a readily available sport in most town's and villages in the UK or Ireland. Money isn't and can't filter down to grassroots level to promote the sport or get young people interested. Anyone young people who play currently probably only got into the game because their parents played it during the 'golden years' i.e. during 80s or 90s.

The game is facing tough challenges ahead.

And I will also say that the BBC 's coverage and promotion of the sport is terrible. I have sky TV at home and can't even get it on the red button anymore. I cant watch eurosport. I always said that I would hate if the sport moved to sky sports. But at the moment I think it would be a great thing given what they have done with the darts.

Ronnie keeps using the excuse about the poor standard of snooker the lower down the rankings. Tough sh1t Ronnie. The 128 player events are a great idea, will improve the standard and give players lower down the rankings a fair chance.

I totally agree with Permabear. There are very few really good players coming through. I think that young people are just not that interested in snooker. It's such a techical sport which requires so much practice and investment of time for a modest enough reward compared to the like's of rugby, golf, soccer, etc. It also requires a lot of patience and concentration which young people don't seem to have given the advent of phones and tablets, etc.

Also don't forget that snooker isn't a readily available sport in most town's and villages in the UK or Ireland. Money isn't and can't filter down to grassroots level to promote the sport or get young people interested. Anyone young people who play currently probably only got into the game because their parents played it during the 'golden years' i.e. during 80s or 90s.

The game is facing tough challenges ahead.

And I will also say that the BBC 's coverage and promotion of the sport is terrible. I have sky TV at home and can't even get it on the red button anymore. I cant watch eurosport. I always said that I would hate if the sport moved to sky sports. But at the moment I think it would be a great thing given what they have done with the darts.

Appreciate the replies and insight from you and Permabear. Agree with all of the issues you have both mentioned but surely more events like this weeks will improve the sport from a spectators point of view and make it more marketable. Kids want stars to look up to and emulate in their chosen sport and in the coming years it's hard to see where these guys are coming from! Sly sports could generate the necessary hype required to get more people watching snooker, Eurosport are just terrible and it always seems like it's an inconvenience for the BBC to show any snooker!
    Regarding the prestige of being in the top 16 I think this is defunct now and lads can make a decent living staying in and around the top 50 without having any real strong motivation to climb the rankings. Another couple of top 16 invitational events with big prize money could change this and really have a positive effect on the regular tour as once your in that top 16 you are guaranteed 2/3/4 good paydays every year. As the rankings are updated regularly throughout the season these days, I think it would up the intensity and competition for the other events as players strive to climb the rankings!

Selby should do it but think it'll be tighter than that 1-1 so far, good start....come on Mark!!! ;-p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

battle of the bores more like

AnneFrank wrote: »
    battle of the bores more like

Harsh! Don't get the Selby = boring statements. I think he is an amazing match player, rarely chooses the wrong shot! And he's just knocked in a 139!! Fabulous snooker player often harshly criticised in my book!

Looking that way alright. Williams will make too many positional mistakes and Selby is ruthless in such situations. Was hoping Williams could put up a fight but I think your earlier prediction will probably be the final result

Scrappy frames suiting Williams, Selby usually a master at grinding out the win though! I love the tactical frames! Could be a long afternoon yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I'd hate to play against Mark Williams. Makes every frame scrappy and hard to win

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Having said that, he creates so much tension it's great to watch. How can someone make so many positional mistakes and still take it to a decider with the world number one? It's a paradox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

And it's all down to the final deciding frame.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

And Shelby is true 6-5. Hard luck on Mark Williams, he battled hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Django99 wrote: »
    Having said that, he creates so much tension it's great to watch. How can someone make so many positional mistakes and still take it to a decider with the world number one? It's a paradox

I'd say it's the reason why many would consider him, particularly back in his prime, to be the best single ball potter ever. Imo, the best player ever (at his peak).

It's good to see Williams putting in the work on the practice table though, and his desire to win seems to be increasing the more he improves. You can see this with the change in his demeanor, even since the Ding game in the world Championships where he seemed to totally pack it in when it wasn't an open game. Probably too late for him to win another major, as players of his age are too prone to the odd bad miss which usually costs them. Had he only kept putting in the work after his second world title he could have won many more and dominated the game for the best part of the last decade. Needs to take his safety game more seriously though, too many lazy shots that cost him cheap frames

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ronnie, Fu, Selby and Ding will win all those matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

GerB40 wrote: »
    Ronnie, Fu, Selby and Ding will win all those matches.

I dunno, apart from the Ding game the other 3 could be touch and go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I factored that in but left him in because he'd Ronnie. There's no way to know which Ronnie will turn up on the day ..

Advertisement