Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Those planet comparisons always hurt my brain. The scale is just too much to comprehend in my tiny brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

stimpson wrote: »
    In 1963 Brian Blessed delivered a baby in Richmond Park and cut the umbilical cord with his teeth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/brian-blessed-stuns-bbc-hosts-with-graphic-story-about-baby-he-delivered-in-a-park-a6684426.html

That's such a Brian Blessed thing to do !!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hot water freezes faster than cold water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hot water freezes faster than cold water.

It's called the Mpemba effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Russians who have a history of left field thinking came up with the Setun, a bunch of ternary computers.

More importantly there's six trits in a tryte

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Yes, no, and maybe", kind of thing? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

New Home wrote: »
    Not really. It's just about how big your alphabet is. We have 10 digits in decimal, so you count 0-9 and then add one to the next digit, e.g.

In binary, you just have an alphabet of 2, so you roll over every 2:

000 = 0
    001 = 1
    010 = 2
    011 = 3
    100 = 4
    101 = 5
    110 = 6

In trinary, you have an alphabet of 3.

000 = 0
    001 = 1
    002 = 2
    010 = 3
    011 = 4
    012 = 5
    020 = 6
    021 = 7
    022 = 8
    100 = 9
    101 = 10

Imagine you want to make a machine that stores and operates on numbers. How do you store a number? The solution a binary computer uses is that it has some stuff inside that can be in one of two 'positions' (which represent 0 or 1). It's magnetic, or it's about electrical charge, but that doesn't matter. You could just represent stuff with some coins. Heads for 0, tails for 1. Put a row of coins together, and you can represent bigger numbers like above.

Modern tech is build around binary computer but there's no particular reason binary computers are better than decimal or trinary computers (binary is a bit simpler, so we got it to work well and then kept making better ones), and people have built all three kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With thanks to George Boole UCC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Who died of getting wet.

He got soaked walking three miles to a lecture one evening and, after giving the lecture in his wet clothes, caught cold. It turned to pneumonia, whereupon his wife, thinking a hair of the dog was the best cure, wrapped him up in a blanket and kept pouring more water on him. His condition went downhill and he died as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Water John wrote: »
    With thanks to George Boole UCC.

Also the reason OR/AND/NOT are called Boolean operators in search engines. And why half the buildings and rooms in UCC are named after him...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

cdeb wrote: »
    Who died of getting wet.

He got soaked walking three miles to a lecture one evening and, after giving the lecture in his wet clothes, caught cold. It turned to pneumonia, whereupon his wife, thinking a hair of the dog was the best cure, wrapped him up in a blanket and kept pouring more water on him. His condition went downhill and he died as a result.

Strictly speaking he was murdered by his wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Strictly speaking he was murdered by his wife
    Manslaughter, at worst, as she wasn't carrying out a premeditated attempt to end his life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

cdeb wrote: »
    Who died of getting wet.

Are you sure she liked him?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah come on, he should have known better himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He’d have complained but his wife was water boarding him.

He could've rolled over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,409 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Those planet comparisons always hurt my brain. The scale is just too much to comprehend in my tiny brain.

For me now when I hear people say 'Well it puts things into perspective'.
    Now I will say 'No it does not.... the Sun v Aldebaran.... and the Sun v the planets... that's perpective!'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space

• Registered Users Posts: 18,409 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's called the Mpemba effect.

According to this fella - the effect does not really exist because it cannot be recreated accurately.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Candie wrote: »
    Today I learned there were once half-pennies.

there were once farthings which were worth half a half penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

According to this fella - the effect does not really exist because it cannot be recreated accurately.

I don't know who that fella is but the effect is real. That said, it is still a matter of great debate and experiment in the scientific world as to how it happens and why the rate of freezing V temperature of the water does vary. The covalent bonding of Hydrogen at temperate, is thought to be a major factor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

-1 , 0, 1

Or in magnetic memory ,
    magnetised , demagnetised, magnetised the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

When we were children, the mother always said that we would get Pneumonia / TB if we went out with wet hair ....

;)

If you want to program in Binary you should use VHDL*

It's got all nine values of 0 and 1.

'U': uninitialized. This signal hasn't been set yet.
    'X': unknown. Impossible to determine this value/result.
    '0': logic 0
    '1': logic 1
    'Z': High Impedance
    'W': Weak signal, can't tell if it should be 0 or 1.
    'L': Weak signal that should probably go to 0
    'H': Weak signal that should probably go to 1
    '-': Don't care.

*VHDL stands for VHSI** Hardware Description Language

**VHSI stands for Very High Speed Integrated Circuit

I don't know who that fella is but the effect is real. That said, it is still a matter of great debate and experiment in the scientific world as to how it happens and why the rate of freezing V temperature of the water does vary. The covalent bonding of Hydrogen at temperate, is thought to be a major factor.
    I prefer the explanation that cold water is more likely to be still so there's less movement to convey the heat.

Like the experiment where when you use a weight to hold down an ice cube in a test tube of water you can boil the top with a Bunsen burner before the water melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

gozunda wrote: »
    When we were children, the mother always said that we would get Pneumonia / TB if we went out with wet hair ....

;)

I got that if we went to bed with wet hair.

The front paws of the giant anteater, when seen from the side, look like the head of a giant panda in profile.

subject-giant%20anteater.jpg?v=27&azure=false&scale=both&width=1920&height=960&mode=crop

gozunda wrote: »

;)
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I got that if we went to bed with wet hair.

Lads, do not mess with wet hair: wet hair kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lads, do not mess with wet hair: wet hair kills.

Mammys know best.

• Advertisement

A cypress "pine" cone (or megastrobilus) is called galbulus (the plural is galbuli).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement