Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

Esel wrote: »
    Why is the camel known as the ship of the desert?

Because it's full of Arab semen.

I have me coat.

I don't get it. :(

Got it. Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Candie wrote: »
    I don't get it. :(

That's probably for the best tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Arab. Seamen. Semen.... Geddit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Candie wrote: »
    If a Cama moved to the US and became a Western actor, it could be an Alabama panorama Cama Llama melodrama!

I'm just sleep deprived :)

You saved my very arduous day, my dear lady Candie :)

Your sleep deprivation brings out very pithy commentary, which indeed brought some gladness into my tedious work and gave some easement in how to deal with one bloody intellect deprived client.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gozunda wrote: »
    A bit like this? :pac:

2kimtf.jpg

I really wish people stopped posting blank pictures....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

The longest word you can type on the top row of a typewriter/keyboard is typewriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

New Home wrote: »
    I really wish people stopped posting blank pictures....

This should help ... ;)

Look through these magic goggles and then click the link below =>

2kis1n.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2kimtf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The British are still leading the way.

First to land a plane on a ship and now the only country that can land a fully loaded jet.

The QE carrier and the F-35 is the first time in history that a fully laden plane has landed on a carrier without the use of gear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP0rUkDz_Fg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Esel wrote: »
    Why is the camel known as the ship of the desert?

Because it's full of Arab semen.

I have me coat.

Sand and seamen don't mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Who said they withdrew?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier was a French physics and chemistry teacher. He tested the flammability of hydrogen by gulping a mouthful and blowing across an open flame, proving at a stroke that hydrogen is indeed explosively combustible and that eyebrows are not necessarily a permanent feature of one’s face.

In 1785 He died when his hot air balloon crashed near Wimereux in the Pas-de-Calais during an attempt to fly across the English Channel. He and his companion, Pierre Romain are the first known fatalities in an air crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

KevRossi wrote: »
    Belgium is the only country in the EU whose largest city is not the capital city.

Antwerp has 520,000 people, the municipal City of Brussels has 176,000, whereas what we might think of Brussels has about 1,200,000.

The only two other countries where this is the case are Switzerland (Berne and Zurich) and Turkey (Ankara and Istanbul).

Not true. Cork is the real capital of Ireland. :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

sicknotexi wrote: »
    The longest word you can type on the top row of a typewriter/keyboard is typewriter.
    and also

rupturewort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The British are still leading the way.

First to land a plane on a ship and now the only country that can land a fully loaded jet.

The QE carrier and the F-35 is the first time in history that a fully laden plane has landed on a carrier without the use of gear.
    It's not fully loaded.

A fully loaded F35 can carry 22,000 pounds (10 tonnes)
    The Rolling Landing means you can land with less than a third of this at 7000 pounds.

It's just PR and marketing.
    What they are covering up is that a manual landing can be more efficient than the auto land feature that the old Harrier doesn't have.
    The old Harrier could land with a lot more with a rolling run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A cubic kilometer of cloud has maybe 500 tons of water droplets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

sicknotexi wrote: »

The longest word you can type with just your left hand is stewardesses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Emmersonn wrote: »
    and also

rupturewort.
    And what about the herbalist that could be described as a
    proruptureworter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

quickbeam wrote: »
    The longest word you can type with just your left hand is stewardesses.

Fake news. I just typed supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, all with my left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just reading Cranium's weather and he mentions gibbous moon. Had to look it up, do it yourself.

Is the Capital always the Seat of Government? What about SA and its three Capitals?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fake news. I just typed supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, all with my left hand.

I do that with one finger...

mzungu wrote: »
    It's not paranoia if they are really after you!

There could be a thousand chameleons in your house right now and you wouldn't even know it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There could be a thousand chameleons in your house right now and you wouldn't even know it.

But what about those camaflage? How would I know they're there? :eek::eek::eek:

New Home wrote: »
    But what about those camaflage? How would I know they're there? :eek::eek::eek:
    Shout Humphrey and see if anyone answers ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Water John wrote: »
    Is the Capital always the Seat of Government? What about SA and its three Capitals?
    Plenty of examples like that. Bolivia has Sucre and La Paz. Holland had Amsterdam and The Hague, but references to The Hague as capital were quietly dropped in the 80s. I think Berlin and Bonn were capitals of Germany for a while after reunification until Berlin won a parliament vote for unified capital.

The capital of Malaysia is technically Putrajaya, a new planned city on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, though KL is still capital as well. (When I was there in 2012, my map marked both as capital)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There are only two companies left on the planet that make globes by hand. One of them is Bellerby & Co in London.

They hand assemble and hand paint the globes and will customise each one t your needs. They can take up to a year to make and usually have a 1-2 year waiting list.

The smallest version is 23 cm in diameter and costs from £1,200, the biggest, the Churchill is modeled on one that was gifted to Winston Churchill by the USA, is 127cm in diameter and over 2m high when mounted.

It can be mounted so that it spins 360 degrees in any direction.

It starts at £71,000.

Bellerby_Churchill_Globe_Globemakers.jpg

There's a short video that gives a look into their work here:

In the middle ages, maps were often orientated with east at the top.

That's why we orientate ourselves rather than boreate ourselves (boreal being the Latin for North and oriental the Latin for north)

I'll hopefully tell you why maps changed to put north at the top when I get further along in Simon Garfield's On The Map; Why the world looks as it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cdeb wrote: »
    In the middle ages, maps were often orientated with east at the top.

That's why we orientate ourselves rather than boreate ourselves (boreal being the Latin for North and oriental the Latin for north)

I'll hopefully tell you why maps changed to put north at the top when I get further along in Simon Garfield's On The Map; Why the world looks as it does

Egyptian and Chinese maps had South at the top. North gained prominence with the development of the compass for navigation use and ,it's thought, a desire for Europeans to be at the top of the map.

If you've gone and spoiled my book...!! :p

• Advertisement

Ah, but I bet you'll never guess what happened next! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement