Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ipso wrote: »
    More money than sense.

Actually, I think it makes a very clever and pithy point.

Thanked in appreciation of the use of the word pithy. One of my favorites, and not used enough imo. :)

And it does make a pithy point; our needs are far less than our wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Candie wrote: »
    Thanked in appreciation of the use of the word pithy. One of my favorites, and not used enough imo. :)

Yes and it also speaks to man's rush towards self-annihilation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's as if we're stabbing ourselves in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Sorry Carry, we'll let it go now! :)

I'm afraid that post will stick to me like, well, ointment - or a knife
    New Home especially seems to be delighted with all things, ehm, backstabbing ... :D

At least I finally recall the name of this spot between the shoulder blades: Acnestis :)
    Look it up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Carry wrote: »
    At least I finally recall the name of this spot between the shoulder blades: Acnestis :)
    Look it up!

Is is called like that because that's where you get spots on your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

New Home wrote: »
    496770.jpg

And yet they're still wandering around Georgia in the walking dead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

If you are a Caucasian and you don't have blue eyes now, you were most certainly born with them. Caucasian's are all born with blue eyes due to pigment melanin, but the colour changes as you get older. In general eye colour is not set in stone until age two. When it comes to melanin, the more you have of it in your hair, eyes and skin, the more sunlight they reflect. A small deposit of melanin in the irises — the muscular rings around the pupils — makes them appear blue, while a medium amount makes them green or hazel, and a lot of it makes the irises brown.

If you have darkly pigmented skin, then there is a possibly you started off with blue eyes, but it is more likely your eyes will have been brown because there is more pigment there from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

People with super-flexible shoulders uniteuntie! o/

*High five behind our backs* :D
    Fixed that for you:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

When the Bulgarian monarch died at 49 during WW2, his 6-year-old son Simeon became the leader. Shortly after, 97% of Bulgaria voted to end the monarchy in favour of a democracy. In 2005, 64-year-old Simeon ran for Prime Minister of Bulgaria and won, making him the country's leader again.

In related matters, Simeon is one of the two last living heads of state from the time of WW2 (the other is Tenzin Gyatso aka. the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet), the only living person who has borne the title "Tsar", and one of only two former monarchs in history to have become the head of government through democratic elections (the other is the now-deceased Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Speaking of the dalai lama, the selection process for them is a bit mad - Tibetan Buddhists believe in reincarnation, so when one dies, it is believed that the mind and soul transfers to a child born around the same time. On how the reincarnated lama is identified, the high monks have a system of looking for clues that point to the location of the child - when the previous lama died, its head tilted right while in repose, pointing to the general direction of the current lama's home. They also look for the way the smoke blows from the cremation for clues on directions to search, as well as visiting a holy lake to watch for signs - visions that they apprently receive that indicates letters, artifacts etc to narrow the search further.

Once they identify a child or children, they test them by giving them some of the old dalai lama'a stuff, and the one who picks the right stuff is brought forward to the temple and the bigwigs agree that he is the chosen one. He then starts his role as the spiritual leader of tibet by studying Buddhism night and day.

There have been 14 lama's, going back to 1300s, but the current dalai lama has been down with the kids for a long time. He has flirted with the whole secular and feminist thing, stating that he may be the last lama as it has outlived its purpose in the modern world, or may even come back as a woman. The Chinese, who rule/occupy tibet have also got in on the act and stated that they have the sole right to select the next dalai lama, due to some agreement 150 yrs ago. Obviously having their own lad in as the spiritual leader in tibet would be easier than having a resistant refugee in India. The Taiwanese are also trying to get in on the act because China, so you could have the case where there are 3 competing dalai lama's after the current exhausts the use of his current body. Or they could just be 3 kids without a clue what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

the British nuclear deterrent was once the responsibility of the AA ( when the Prime Minister need a reliable communication system it was suggested the th AA was used, and the suggestion was taken up for a while.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A sobering thought.

It's not paranoia if they are really after you!

Ernest Hemingway often spoke of how he believed the FBI was tracking him, but was dismissed by friends and family as paranoid. A few years after his death released FBI files showed he had been under heavy surveillance. The FBI were following him and bugging his phones for the final 20 years of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This was also repeated about Charlie Haughey, in terms of his political foes, of which there were many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For the rest of us plebs :)
    pithy /ˈpɪθi/
    adjective

(of language or style) terse and vigorously expressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Rubecula wrote: »
    the British nuclear deterrent was once the responsibility of the AA ( when the Prime Minister need a reliable communication system it was suggested the th AA was used, and the suggestion was taken up for a while.)

During The Troubles when the IRA were calling in their bomb warnings, they always called them into the Samaritans.

No matter how ticklish you are, you can never tickle yourself because you are expecting it and your brain processes it differently. This is because the cerebellum (located at the back of the brain and is used for monitoring movements) predicts the sensations from your own movement but cannot when somebody else does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

During The Troubles when the IRA were calling in their bomb warnings, they always called them into the Samaritans.

As well as RTE and BBC you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

retalivity wrote: »
    There have been 14 lama's, going back to 1300s, but the current dalai lama has been down with the kids for a long time. He has flirted with the whole secular and feminist thing, stating that he may be the last lama as it has outlived its purpose in the modern world, or may even come back as a woman. The Chinese, who rule/occupy tibet have also got in on the act and stated that they have the sole right to select the next dalai lama, due to some agreement 150 yrs ago. Obviously having their own lad in as the spiritual leader in tibet would be easier than having a resistant refugee in India. The Taiwanese are also trying to get in on the act because China, so you could have the case where there are 3 competing dalai lama's after the current exhausts the use of his current body. Or they could just be 3 kids without a clue what is going on.

There's also the Panchen Lama. He's considered second to the dalai lama. What you mention about multiple lamas has already taken place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Panchen_Lama_controversy
    Three days after the death of the 10th Panchen Lama, the Premier of the State Council published decision on how the 11th Panchen Lama would be selected based on the feedback gathered from the committee of Tashi Lhunpo Monastery and monks on January 30th 1989. [1][2][3]

Five years after the death of the 10th Panchen Lama, ordinarily, the 11th Panchen Lama would have already been identified.[4] The Nechung Oracle in Dharamsala had been consulted on the matter.[5]

Tibetans would not consider a candidate for the eleventh incarnation legitimate unless he were identified according to Tibetan traditional means, including a search by the tenth's senior staff based on dreams and omens, and formal recognition of the result by the Dalai Lama. On the other hand, the leaders of the Chinese government wanted the process to demonstrate their authority. Beijing planned to have the traditional group of monks follow traditional methods, but to identify a group of candidates, not only one, and then to use the Golden Urn to randomly select one of them, and to exclude the Dalai Lama from the process altogether.[6]

However, Beijing later allowed Tashilhunpo Monastery's Chadrel Rinpoche, the head of the search team, to communicate with the Dalai Lama, currently exiled and an opponent of the regime, in hopes that a mutually acceptable process and candidate could be accomplished. At the end of 1994, twenty-five candidates had been identified, and Chadrel sent the Dalai Lama detailed information on all of them; but Chadrel also wrote that all signs pointed to Gedhun Choekyi Nyima as the true reincarnation. In February 1995, the Dalai Lama replied to Chadrel that his own divinations confirmed Gedhun Choekyi Nyima. Chadrel intended to publicly mimic the process that occurred in identifying the tenth Panchen Lama in 1949: the urn would not be used; China would be first to publicly name the choice; and then the Dalai Lama would confirm it. However, in March 1995, Chinese officials insisted on drawing a name from three to five slips in the urn. On May 14, 1995, the Dalai Lama preempted the drawing by publicly announcing that Gedhun Choekyi Nyima was the eleventh Panchen Lama.[7]

In November 1995, the Chinese government selected a different boy, Gyaincain Norbu, using the Golden Urn. This decision was immediately denounced by the Dalai Lama. China holds Gedhun Choekyi Nyima in a place whose location has not been divulged to the public.[8]

Sign referring to the disappearance of the 11th Panchen Lama chosen & recognized by the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima in Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India
    In May 1997, Chadrel was sentenced to six years in prison for splittism and betraying state secrets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Belgium is the only country in the EU whose largest city is not the capital city.

Antwerp has 520,000 people, the municipal City of Brussels has 176,000, whereas what we might think of Brussels has about 1,200,000.

The only two other countries where this is the case are Switzerland (Berne and Zurich) and Turkey (Ankara and Istanbul).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

KevRossi wrote: »
    Belgium is the only country in the EU whose largest city is not the capital city.

Antwerp has 520,000 people, the municipal City of Brussels has 176,000, whereas what we might think of Brussels has about 1,200,000.

The only two other countries where this is the case are Switzerland (Berne and Zurich) and Turkey (Ankara and Istanbul).
    Scotland too (Glasgow v Edinburgh). While it's part of the UK, it's also a country in its own right.

I presume your last sentence should be "two other European countries", otherwise there's lots of examples (particularly new capitals in Burma, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Brazil, etc)

gozunda wrote: »

If the Cama walked around crying about being the only Cama in the village, that would make him a Drama Llama Cama. If it changed colour it'd be a Cama chameleon. If he played the triangle he'd be a Cama Llama Ding Dong. If you wanted to raise awareness of the cama's saga you could have a Cama Llama Gala.

I'll stop now.

I don't know what pills Candie is popping, but I think I'd like some.

(And if it's invisible, it'd be wearing camaflage?) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

KevRossi wrote: »

Unlike the US, where the state capitals are usually "not the obvious ones"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

If the Cama walked around crying about being the only Cama in the village, that would make him a Drama Llama Cama. If it changed colour it'd be a Cama chameleon. If he played the triangle he'd be a Cama Llama Ding Dong. If you wanted to raise awareness of the cama's saga you could have a Cama Llama Gala.

I'll stop now.

I want what you are having .... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't know what pills Candie is popping, but I think I'd like some.

(And if it's invisible, it'd be wearing camaflage?) :D

A bit like this? :pac:

2kimtf.jpg

Carry wrote: »
    I want what you are having .... :cool:

If a Cama moved to the US and became a Western actor, it could be an Alabama panorama Cama Llama melodrama!

I'm just sleep deprived :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why is the camel known as the ship of the desert?

Because it's full of Arab semen.

I have me coat.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement