Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Fourier wrote: »
    The ratio is often named the golden ratio and is around 1.618.
    The Golden Ratio, usually represented by the lower-case Greek letter phi 'ϕ' equates to (1 + sqrt(5))/2, or the positive solution to the equation ϕ^2 - ϕ - 1 = 0. To four significant digits, yes, it's 1.618.
    Just as pi often pops up if there is a circle present somewhere (often its not obvious immediately where in the situation the circle is), the golden ratio often pops up in places where a certain kind of ellipse shows up (again it is not always obvious there is an ellipse involved).
    The Golden Ratio does not restrict itself to ellipses alone, but shows up all over the place - biology, geometry, maths, architecture and art.

My own personal favourites occur in my house - for example, on my kitchen floor, where it appears multiple times in the P3 rhomboid Penrose tesselation there - specifically, the ratio of the number of light tiles to dark tiles, the ratio of external side to long internal axis on the wide tiles, and inverse ratio of external side to short internal axis on the narrow tiles, plus various ratios elsewhere in the kitchen and the house more generally.

It's one of two Penrose tessellations of which I'm aware in Ireland - one in Trinity College and one downstairs. Are there more? I'd love to know :)

460531.jpg
    However its frequency is often over stated
    I've never really noticed this myself, I have to say. Quite the opposite really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

^^^

Im going to re-reg just to thank that twice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

robindch wrote: »
    The Golden Ratio does not restrict itself to ellipses alone, but shows up all over the place - biology, geometry, maths, architecture and art.
    My point is that it in fact does not show up all over the place in maths any more than any other number related to simple shapes and that its occurrence in other areas is over stated (more on this below).

And it is a fact that it is always related to an ellipse, though as I mentioned it is not always obvious that an ellipse is involved. For example Penrose tiling is generated via an ellipse (B.Grunbaum & G.C.Shephard, Tilings and Patterns, New York:W.H.Freeman, 1987). There's a nice paper by A.J. Reuben and A.E. Shannon showing this that isn't behind a pay wall:

https://www.fq.math.ca/Scanned/36-1/reuben.pdf

Also the Penrose tiling is just one of an infinite number of tilings, most don't involve the golden ratio.
    robindch wrote: »
    I've never really noticed this myself, I have to say. Quite the opposite really.
    Claims that it is found in Renaissance Art and ancient architecture are very common in several popular science books. None of these are valid, an introduction is here:
    https://www.math.cuhk.edu.hk/~pschan/uged1533/markowsky.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

This post could go in "obvious things I just realised" or here... Maybe you didn't know either, so...

In the old days, before a rocket was launched, the countdown was "T minus 3 2 1...â€
    T means "takeoff" and the "minus" means you are on the negative side of the timescale where 0 is the start of the mission and any number after that is the length of time that the mission has been running ...

According to The Big Bang Theory they now use L for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

FIFA 2002 has two versions of both Landon Donovan and Jirí Jarosík (international and club versions). FIFA 2001 also has international and club versions of Roberto Carlos as well as two versions of Juan Carlos Valerón on Deportivo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

764dak wrote: »
    FIFA 2002 has two versions of both Landon Donovan and Jirí Jarosík (international and club versions). FIFA 2001 also has international and club versions of Roberto Carlos as well as two versions of Juan Carlos Valerón on Deportivo.

Yeah but Pro Ev had Roberto Larcos and Ruud van Nistleroom.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The first word on the Divine Comedy album 'Casanova' is Hello and the last word is Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

764dak wrote: »

What do you mean by 2 different versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The first word on the Divine Comedy album 'Casanova' is Hello and the last word is Goodbye.

I cant believe i didnt know that. I am disappointed in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

FitzShane wrote: »
    What do you mean by 2 different versions?
    EA made put two of those players in the game. For example, one Landon Donovan had blonde hair and the one on the San Jose Earthquakes had higher stats. Also, one of Valeróns had a unique face (FIFA 2001 was the first FIFA game with unique faces).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some potatoes produce berries overground as well as tubers underground. They look like tomatoes, and they are poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

When the skeletons of medieval archers are found they are eaily identified as such because the bones on one side of the body are much heavier and dense than the other side as Longbow men began training from the age of 6 to develop the inhuman strength needed to draw and fire a longbow at a sustained rate

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Some potatoes produce berries overground as well as tubers underground. They look like tomatoes, and they are poisonous.

Got those growing in my garden

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This post could go in "obvious things I just realised" or here... Maybe you didn't know either, so...

In the old days, before a rocket was launched, the countdown was "T minus 3 2 1...â€
    T means "takeoff" and the "minus" means you are on the negative side of the timescale where 0 is the start of the mission and any number after that is the length of time that the mission has been running ...
    The original rocket countdown was in 1926.

In a movie by Fritz Lang, to build up tension. So it was a German film.

After the war loads of German engineers went to NASA and the rest is history ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

This absolutely blew my mind.

A blind chameloeon will still change colour to match it's surrounding.

Phenomenal .

What was already an amazing ability became 10000 more amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This absolutely blew my mind.

A blind chameloeon will still change colour to match it's surrounding.

Phenomenal .

What was already an amazing ability became 10000 more amazing

This has been very well researched and is untrue. If a colour change matches the surroundings, it is accidental. It's also a common misconception that they change colour as camouflage. They generally change colour to regulate their temperature or to signal their intentions to other chameleons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks to improvements in quality control its impossible to make any more Roland TR-808 Drum Machines.

Because they relied on faulty transistors.

From a bad batch.

Faulty transistors hand picked from that one bad batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Thanks to improvements in quality control its impossible to make any more Roland TR-808 Drum Machines.

Because they relied on faulty transistors.

From a bad batch.

Faulty transistors hand picked from that one bad batch.

Some folks pay good money for an advanced error feature (aka 'humaize feature') on their modern day 808 drumboxes. A human never plays exactly in constant perfect time. So unless you're Scooter running a 140bpm robotic 1/1 - you might add some character to live performances by jazzing it up with dynamics.

It will simply add an amount of randomisation to the velocity values, pitch, timing and loudness levels of each individual sample.

Some say Zappa used to hit bum notes on his piano compositions. Why? Well simply because he could. He could also have played them properly but choose not to, and it benefits from that.

The tile of Kanye West's stark new album, is '808s & Heartbreak'. It's still a load of aul pants even though it acknowledges this item of hip-hop history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Potatoes and tomatoes belong to the Solanum family, of which the toxic deadly nightshade is a member. Deadly nightshade is also known as Bella Donna. Women used extracts as eye drops to dilate their pupils as this was considered attractive at the time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ever been in a swimming pool and your eyes go bloodshot?

Usually chlorine gets the blame, however this is not the case. Chlorine on its own is fine and won't cause irritation. The irritation comes from contaminants in the pool (urine and sweat) which bind to the chlorine in the water creating a chemical compound which in turn causes your eyes to sting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Won't it also depend on the amount of chlorine, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When the skeletons of medieval archers are found they are eaily identified as such because the bones on one side of the body are much heavier and dense than the other side as Longbow men began training from the age of 6 to develop the inhuman strength needed to draw and fire a longbow at a sustained rate
    I went to see the Mary Rose Museum in Portsmouth this year and they had actual skeletons of some of the archers and you could see the “deformities”
    They also had a rig set up where you could use a replica of one of the long bows and experience the strength required to use it. I’m by no means small but it took an awful lot of effort to pull the the string back. So it’s no wonder it took its toll.

This has been very well researched and is untrue. If a colour change matches the surroundings, it is accidental. It's also a common misconception that they change colour as camouflage. They generally change colour to regulate their temperature or to signal their intentions to other chameleons.

I googled it straight away and found

Yes. Sight has nothing to do with how a chameleon changes color. The chameleon has cells called chromatophores in its skin which change color to match its surroundings. These cells are activated by the light in the environment.

And then this

Despite popular perceptions that chameleons are the ultimate hide and seek players, they actually change their color to stand out and warn other chameleons of danger.

But... to stand out from their surroundings they have to know the colour of their surroundings! Even blind they do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

New Home wrote: »
    I am not sure about this to be honest. I thought it was when the chlorine levels were normal, but there was a higher than normal amount of urine in the pool. I could very well be wrong, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mzungu wrote: »
    Ever been in a swimming pool and your eyes go bloodshot?

Usually chlorine gets the blame, however this is not the case. Chlorine on its own is fine and won't cause irritation. The irritation comes from contaminants in the pool (urine and sweat) which bind to the chlorine in the water creating a chemical compound which in turn causes your eyes to sting.

Thanks for that. :(

I assume (no idea) that chlorine always outweighs pee in the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:

This requires an experiment.

You look after the chlorine levels, and I'll take care of urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I googled it straight away and found

Yes. Sight has nothing to do with how a chameleon changes color. The chameleon has cells called chromatophores in its skin which change color to match its surroundings. These cells are activated by the light in the environment.

And then this

Despite popular perceptions that chameleons are the ultimate hide and seek players, they actually change their color to stand out and warn other chameleons of danger.

But... to stand out from their surroundings they have to know the colour of their surroundings! Even blind they do

Google? Must be true so.
    Seriously, studies show that blind chameleons cannot discern their surroundings and, as I said, any colour changes are coincidental. It's a change in colour dictated by temperature and mood and not surroundings anyway, It's also a sexual indicator and designed to stand out, not blend in. The colours they use don't really depend on knowing the colours around them, anyway as each species inhabits a more or less fixed background of vegetation types.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

mzungu wrote: »
    I am not sure about this to be honest. I thought it was when the chlorine levels were normal, but there was a higher than normal amount of urine in the pool. I could very well be wrong, though.
    Just reading a few papers on it (there are apparently labs that have tested this in detail!), it seems chlorine bonds with the urea salt in urine to form trichloramine. The typical "pool smell" is actually trichloramine!! It is a powerful disinfectant and can in fact aid in the healing of some wounds, though it is bad for your lungs.

I'm not a chemist, so hopefully my reading is accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I assume (no idea) that chlorine always outweighs pee in the pool
    Depends how many kids have swam in it over the course of the morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement