Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's different again if someone has a hypersensitivity to chlorine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

New Home wrote: »
    It's different again if someone has a hypersensitivity to chlorine.

True, although I would imagine any kind of pool visit would be out of the question for somebody in that situation.

Most people at some stage of their lives will approach a door and wonder if it is a push or pull. These poorly designed doors that confuses or fails to give you an idea whether to push or pull are called 'Norman Doors.' It was called after the author Don Norman who wrote The Design of Everyday Things which examined the phenomenon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I call that the "Midvale" effect. :)

midvale1105044388.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

tenor.gif?itemid=3523107

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mzungu wrote: »
    Has it ever happened that when you yawn that a bit of saliva shoots from your mouth into the air? This is called Gleeking and is caused when salivary glands are stimulated (usually by your tongue) by accident.

A million times I thank you. Was always wondering what the hell this was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Carsanal

I got my silage under wraps before the rain this evening.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The first word on the Divine Comedy album 'Casanova' is Hello and the last word is Goodbye.

When recording Liberation Neil Hannon ate nothing but porridge, so it would not interfere with the muse that was flowing thru his corporeal frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

While smell plays an important part in the discernment of flavours in most things, it is completely untrue that red wine, of and in itself, has no flavour. My brother had no sense of smell and could certainly taste and discriminate between red wines.

While blindfolded anosmics can struggle to differentiate between some particular flavours they can still tell red wine from water.

I've tried it because there are some wines that are known to get their taste from their smell. A Pinot Noir for example is known to have a large part of it's taste from it's smell. I drank it holding my nose and compared to drinking it when you can smell it, there's a distinct lack of taste. That's not to say there's no taste, there certainly is, it's just not as strong as when you can smell it.
    And it all varies from wine to wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Grayson wrote: »
    I've tried it because there are some wines that are known to get their taste from their smell. A Pinot Noir for example is known to have a large part of it's taste from it's smell. I drank it holding my nose and compared to drinking it when you can smell it, there's a distinct lack of taste. That's not to say there's no taste, there certainly is, it's just not as strong as when you can smell it.
    And it all varies from wine to wine.

I'll bet it still didn't taste like water. The assertion was that it has no flavour. The lack of smell affects the perception of taste in many things but doesn't render them completely tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'll bet it still didn't taste like water. The assertion was that it has no flavour. The lack of smell affects the perception of taste in many things but doesn't render them completely tasteless.

Of course not, there's still a taste, just not as strong. And it varies from wine to wine so some will taste strong regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On the chlorine the way to get rid of the smell esp in drinking water is to add more chlorine. The 'Free chlorine' over powers the THMs.

Pool water should be either treated with ozone or UV not chlorine which is old lazy tech.

Yes there is a chemical that can show up urine. Story goes a new swimming pool was being opened in the UK. The public were nor aware this chemical had been added. To launch the pool, the mayor decided to get his ex-model wife to swim the length of the pool at the grand opening. One can guess the rest of the story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Surely there's some things you're better off not knowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

NASA got a $400 litter fine from an Australian Parks Official after the debris and vestiges of their space station Skylab crashed in the western Australian desert.
    Skylab launched in 1973 it's life ended in 1979 when it reentered the Earths atmosphere, breaking up and littering Australia. NASA dodged the ticket for thirty years - it was paid on their behalf in 2009.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

di11on wrote: »
    Solar power is nuclear energy... from a safe distance
    It's not.

That's we need suncream and hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

The second Indiana Jones movie is a prequel to the first.

The third movie is a sequel to the first.

The Nazi-sympathising archaeologist Elsa Schneider, in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was played by an irish girl called Alison Doody. She was married Tony O'Reilly's son Gavin.

She was also a bond girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Brazil is the only Portuguese speaking country in south america, and with guyana, are the only one sthat are not primarily spanish-speaking. It is one of the most linguistically diverse countries in the world, with over 200+ languages recognised and spoken at some level, the majority of them regional indigenous languages.
    That said, there are more german (3m) and venetian (1m) speakers in brazil, than spanish speakers (500k). There is also a sizeable japanese population there, the largest outside the japanese islands, and there's approximately 300k that use the language daily.

In argentina, there is a small Welsh speaking community in southern patagonia, descendents of settlers from 150 years ago. There are approximately 4000 speakers still, with welsh schools and bilingual signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

... a crow's ear looks like this :(
    gV5OznQ.jpg

Not just crows, birds' ears look like that (there may be some exceptions, but I can't think of one at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Surprised at the number of languages in Brazil, would have thought India was the most diverse country linguistically. From memory they have 86 officially recognised languages.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Surprised at the number of languages in Brazil, would have thought India was the most diverse country linguistically. From memory they have 86 officially recognised languages.

I said it was one of the most, not the most - that is Papau New Guinea

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Not just crows, birds' ears look like that (there may be some exceptions, but I can't think of one at the moment).

Owls?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

On the topic of Crow's ears...you can see the back of an owl's eye through its earaA84cBS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

retalivity wrote: »

Very interesting, im two chapters into Jared Diamond's Guns Germs and Steel where Papau New Guinea is heavily referred to thus far. Look forward to reading on.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Brazil is the only Portuguese speaking country in south america, and with guyana, are the only one sthat are not primarily spanish-speaking. It is one of the most linguistically diverse countries in the world, with over 200+ languages recognised and spoken at some level, the majority of them regional indigenous languages.
    That said, there are more german (3m) and venetian (1m) speakers in brazil, than spanish speakers (500k). There is also a sizeable japanese population there, the largest outside the japanese islands, and there's approximately 300k that use the language daily.

In argentina, there is a small Welsh speaking community in southern patagonia, descendents of settlers from 150 years ago. There are approximately 4000 speakers still, with welsh schools and bilingual signs.

Suriname is mainly Dutch speaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

In Guns germs and Steel, Jared Diamond claimed that up to one third of the worlds languages are spoken there.
    Supposedly mountainous areas end up with many languages, like the Caucusus region.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Caucasus

Suriname is mainly Dutch speaking!

Mea culpa, also forgot about french guiana next door...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

... a crow's ear looks like this :(
    gV5OznQ.jpg
    That's weird, I didn't think birds had ears, but then,duh...how could they hear.

About Brazil and those "odd" languages, for the most part they were "imported" when the large scale immigration took place in the 1800s, and were mostly dialects. However, while those dialects in their places of origin have changed (in large part by having being affected by languages of immigrants of their own and by languages of neighbouring regions and countries), in Brazil they resemble much much more the languages that would have been spoken back when they were imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That's weird, I didn't think birds had ears, but then,duh...how could they hear.

A little birdie would tell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Mea culpa, also forgot about french guiana next door...

Not really a whole country though. Just another part of France😊

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement