Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Infernum wrote: »
    When King Charles II of Spain died, a postmortem revealed he had absolutely no blood in his body and his heart was very tiny.

That's generations of inbreeding for ya.

How did oxygen get from his lungs to the rest of his body if he had no blood ??

Methinks that's false

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Warning this is gross.

Methinks that's false
    According to Dr. Gonzalo Alvarez of the university of Santiago de Compostela, he died of bloody diarrhoea, over 200 excretions in the last fortnight of his life. It's considered quite likely he would've basically had no blood by the end.

Alvarez has a few papers on royal inbreeding with other stomach churning examples from across Europe, but I don't recommend having a read.

EDIT: His blood was most likely highly acidic due to a genetic defect in his kidneys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know it's not uncommon for sets to be recycled, but that's still pretty mind-blowing considering those shows were my childhood.
    The sets for Metropolis (1927) were destroyed to prevent them being reused.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Methinks that's false
    Insects have blood but it's clear as they use air filled tubes to move oxygen around.

Horseshoe crabs have blue blood and tunicate have yellow or green blood.

So the answer to your question is - vampires :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Insects have blood but it's clear as they use air filled tubes to move oxygen around.

Horseshoe crabs have blue blood and tunicate have yellow or green blood.

So the answer to your question is - vampires :eek:

Horseshoe crabs have blue blood because the oxygen carrying molecule in it is made of a copper compound (ours is red because of the iron in haemoglobin).
    Their blood has a very interesting property.. it is very sensitive to bacterial contamination and coagulates around any bacteria to prevent infection. The medical industry bleeds 600000 crabs a year to use it in preventing contamination from intravenous drugs and medical devices. If you've had an operation you may have been saved by a horseshoe crab!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I''m surprised he didn't die of severe dehydration long before he died of hypovolaemia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ffs. This thread is becoming the written version of Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Barrymanilow, I thought that was a symbol for a gay couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ASCII is a 7-bit code. Extended ASCII is 8-bit.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I know it's not uncommon for sets to be recycled, but that's still pretty mind-blowing considering those shows were my childhood.

SBTB was class, Kelly was my first crush. Thought That's so Raven and iCarly were ****e however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

New Home wrote: »
    I''m surprised he didn't die of severe dehydration long before he died of hypovolaemia.
    I think at this distance it's hard to know exactly what he died of, it may in fact have been dehydration as some argued. More so Dr. Alvarez argues that the autopsy reported by the medieval physicians, including finding virtually no blood, is consistent with the symptoms they describe being present prior to his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Fourier wrote: »
    I think at this distance it's hard to know exactly what he died of, it may in fact have been dehydration as some argued. More so Dr. Alvarez argues that the autopsy reported by the medieval physicians, including finding virtually no blood, is consistent with the symptoms they describe being present prior to his death.

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Worztron wrote: »
    Edward Mulhare of Knight Rider (as Devon Miles) and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (as Captain Gregg) fame was born in Cork City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Mulhare

Eddie Mul? Sure we all know him like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

The sets for Metropolis (1927) were destroyed to prevent them being reused.

They eventually destroyed the set of the original Phantom of The Opera too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ffs. This thread is becoming the written version of Liveline.

Nothing in common with liveline.

aibohphobia Is the fear of palindromes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Did you make that up, Franz? It's too good to be true. :D

New Home wrote: »
    Did you make that up, Franz? It's too good to be true. :D

True.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/aibohphobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    It should be a palindrome

:confused: It is!

• Advertisement

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Exposing mushrooms to sunlight increases their Vitamin D levels by ridiculous amounts.

“Here is a simple experiment we did one summer afternoon in Kamilche Point, Washington. We compared several forms of organically grown shiitake mushrooms, which had starting level of 100 IU/100 grams. We compared the vitamin D levels of three sets of mushrooms, all from the same crop. The first was grown and dried indoors. The second set was dried outdoors in the sunlight with their gills facing down. The third set of mushrooms was dried outdoors in the sunlight with their gills facing upwards for full sun exposure. The most vitamin D was found in shiitake dried with gills up that were exposed to sunlight for two days, six hours per day. The vitamin D levels in these mushrooms soared from 100 IU/100 grams to nearly 46,000 IU/100 grams (see chart). Their stems, though, produced very little vitamin D, only about 900 IU. Notably, vitamin D levels dropped on the third day, probably due to over-exposure to UV.”

https://fungi.com/blogs/articles/place-mushrooms-in-sunlight-to-get-your-vitamin-d

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, saw that in Bulgaria, there is an area where people live a very long life. To get Vitamin D in winter, they take mushrooms up the mountains to dry in the summer and store them for winter.
    From a docu on long living areas.

In Thailand they dry shrimp on the pavement

So healthy.

All that vitamin d

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In Thailand they dry shrimp on the pavement

So healthy.

All that vitamin d

Apparently thai crustacean products cause absolute environmental mayhem. It's even put me off them which is unlike me. They tick a few boxes; pollution, vegetation destruction, human trafficking, antibiotics!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apparently thai crustacean products cause absolute environmental mayhem. It's even put me off them which is unlike me. They tick a few boxes; pollution, vegetation destruction, human trafficking, antibiotics!

Plus less than humane farming techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Plus less than humane farming techniques

They just move into an area, destroy it and move on.

Saw an old lady drying her crustaceans on the path outside her house. When they were done she swept them up with a broom and dustpan

Health and safety not as rife over there

That's how you build up your antibodies, folks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Lol, my excuse was I just got on a plane :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement