Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just over 10 years ago my best mate was diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma. The most aggressive form of cancer known to man, usually happens to children and there are just a few weeks between diagnosis and death if untreated.

Had it happened to him a decade earlier he would have died. Thankfully it now is very treatable with chemotherapy and my mate has been free of cancer for 10 years. The chance of a white adult in Europe catching the disease is less than one in ten million. As my mate says: he won the wrong lottery.

Denis Burkitt was born in Ireland and discovered the disease that would be named after him while he was living and working long time with children in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

porte wrote: »
    54 million people around the world will die in the next 12 months.
    And over 130 million will be born. Or 250 per minute.

Interesting. On that subject whats the average age of people on the planet?
    Like the most common. Out of the 7+ billion on the planet are there more 14 year olds? 25 year olds? or maybe 35 year olds? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Like the most common. Out of the 7+ billion on the planet are there more 14 year olds? 25 year olds? or maybe 35 year olds? etc.

Considering the population is ever expanding and there are more births every year than the year before, and considering some children never reach adulthood, I would guess that the most common age is 0-12 months.

Like if there are 130 million people born this year, 25 year ago there would've been only 100 million, so taking out deaths etc that maybe leaves 90 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

porte wrote: »
    54 million people around the world will die in the next 12 months.

I’ve wondered about this. And how many are born any given month.

And which months globally see the highest death or birth rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

New Home wrote: »
    The poor man, all the same... :(

His poor wives that were forced to marry him and then blamed when they couldn't produce an heir...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

New Home wrote: »
    I was told by someone who worked in a hospital many years ago that surgeons and nurses working in the operating theatres used to wear green scrubs because the blood stains would look brown and therefore less gruesome when the surgeons had to go and talk to the families.

Before germ theory was discovered, when doctors didn't know operations should be carried out in sterile conditions (or even that hand washing was important), the mark of a "successful" surgeon was the bloodstains on his clothes. So surgeons would leave one sick patient and go straight to the next one...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

His poor wives that were forced to marry him and then blamed when they couldn't produce an heir...

Henry VIII's wives were much luckier... right?
    Before germ theory was discovered, when doctors didn't know operations should be carried out in sterile conditions (or even that hand washing was important), the mark of a "successful" surgeon was the bloodstains on his clothes. So surgeons would leave one sick patient and go straight to the next one...

Straight from autopsies/dissecting cadavers to delivering children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Quazzie wrote: »
    Considering the population is ever expanding and there are more births every year than the year before, and considering some children never reach adulthood, I would guess that the most common age is 0-12 months.

Like if there are 130 million people born this year, 25 year ago there would've been only 100 million, so taking out deaths etc that maybe leaves 90 million.

I don’t think that’s correct. The most common age (the mode) doesn’t have to be 0-1 year for the population to increase. If N years ago the number of births was highest and has fallen (making N years of age the mode), populations will continue to increase even as births decrease provided the births in any year exceed the deaths. Obviously enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The median age worldwide is between 15 and 24

If it was significantly lower the rate of increase in the world population would be much higher than it is.

• Advertisement

30.4 according to this

I don’t think that’s correct. The most common age (the mode) doesn’t have to be 0-1 year for the population to increase. If N years ago the number of births was highest and has fallen (making N years of age the mode), populations will continue to increase even as births decrease provided the births in any year exceed the deaths. Obviously enough.

But there are more people born this year, than last year, or any other year previous. That means there are more 0-12 month olds than any other age in the group. Birth rates (births/1000) are falling year on year, but the population is increasing massively and this overcomes the birth rate. This means that the birth rates falls by 1% year on year for the last decade, but the total population increases by more, which shows that year on year there are more babies being born globally than the previous year

30.4 according to this

Yes, that's more up to date than the book I have here.

But there are more people born this year, than last year, or any other year previous. That means there are more 0-12 month olds than any other age in the group. Birth rates (births/1000) are falling year on year, but the population is increasing massively and this overcomes the birth rate. This means that the birth rates falls by 1% year on year for the last decade, but the total population increases by more, which shows that year on year there are more babies being born globally than the previous year

Populations can keep growing as birth rates, or total births fall provided the number of births is higher than the death rate. It doesn’t have to be the highest ever birth rate or number of births though.

In a simplified scenario:

Let’s say there’s a planet where everybody lives to be 80 and there are 100 80 year olds alive and everybody dies of old age. Therefore the death rate in this year will be 100

It also means 100 people were born 80 years ago. In the meantime there was a baby boom that maxed out 20 years ago. That year 150 babies were born. Before that fewer people were born. After that fewer people were born. Therefore there are more 20 year olds than other ages. That’s the mode.

The births continue to fall and this year 110 babies will be born (40 off the peak).

The population will still continue to increase because 110 > 100 It will continue to increase until births < deaths. However the maximum number of births was 20 years ago.

In the real world people are living longer so births can fall even more and populations still rise.

Edit : fixed sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I.e. you were wrong

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I.e. you were wrong

Yes, I think that's what I intimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Big Nasty wrote: »

I.e. you were wrong
    What a great contribution, you're a credit to your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I watched a great doc on the Titanic sinking recently.

The one Deck Officer who survived the sinking was Charles Lightholler. After the ships Architect gave the call that the ship was going to sink Ligtholler was posted to the poop deck to oversee the lifeboat extraction.

When he got there he witnessed the cabin boys struggling to release the boats from their chains. He asked them 'Did nobody ever show you how to do this before'.

They answered 'No Sir'. Lightholler then exclaimed , 'God help us'.

He personally got involved in launching the lifeboats which ultimately saved his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

At the end of the American Civil War, tens of thousands of southerners moved south to Brazil to begin again. Most moved south the the state of Sao Paulo but one group, led by Major Lansford Hastings decided to move north into the Amazon Jungle.

Lansford was granted a tract of land 259,000 acres for which he had to pay 22.5c/acre for at the end of 3 years.

Sadly, he died after one year of Yellow fever but their presence there began the process of understanding the history of indigenous cultures that had lived there before them.

I've included a link, from which I stole all the above, giving a bit of a history of th above.

https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/american-confederates-amazon-basin/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If you could remove all of the empty space from the atoms that make up every human on earth, the entire world population would fit into the size of an apple.
    2.5kg of every human is actually bacteria in the intestines!

• Advertisement

What a great contribution, you're a credit to your parents.

Thanks! :)

Scotty # wrote: »
    2.5kg of every human is actually bacteria in the intestines!

Indeed. The bacteria cells in our body outnumber our human cells 10 to 1. Some argue that the most successful life form is the bacteria that uses us and other species.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

I'd argue they are using us even more successfully than the bacteria in our gut.

^^^^

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

I'd argue they are using us even more successfully than the bacteria in our gut.

And I'd agree fully with you. I often consider that we evolved solely for the benefit of Mitochondria.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Indeed. The bacteria cells in our body outnumber our human cells 10 to 1. Some argue that the most successful life form is the bacteria that uses us and other species.

Yeah but how many All Irelands have bacteria won?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah but how many All Irelands have bacteria won?

All of them, if you think about it.

retalivity wrote: »
    All of them, if you think about it.

Not the bacteria from Mayo tho

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What, Salmonella?

• Advertisement

As of today it's been down longer than it was up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement