Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Rory Gallagher also born there.

Lot of history for a relatively small place.

If you had sham blood, you'd probably also be driven to write horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ipso wrote: »
    If you had sham blood, you'd probably also be driven to write horror.

Not even the mighty Google knows what sham blood is! Care to share? :)

Sham is a term people from Ballyshannon throw around. Strange place, not quite Donegal, Fermanagh or Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I only ever heard sham in Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I only ever heard sham in Tuam.

It's commonplace in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Youd get the odd sham about Fermanagh too. Derrygonnelly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And throughout the rest of donegal as well.

After the esb station and reservoir was built on the erne, and before the new bypass was built around ballyshannon, there was only the one bridge crossing the erne, joining the north bank of ballyshannon with the south. This was also the only bridge that joined all of donegal north of the river with the south, so if you wanted to go north of ballyshannon without having to traverse northern ireland, you crossed this bridge.

I had heard rumours before that during the troubles there was a plot by the uvf or similar to blow it up and effectively cut off northern donegal with the rest of the republic by road, due to the border restrictions and fear at the time. Not sure if there was ever any truth in it.

Another for the Shams.
    William Allingham lived there, he wrote the following poem.

Up the airy mountain,
    Down the rushy glen,
    We daren’t go a-hunting
    For fear of little men;
    Wee folk, good folk,
    Trooping all together;
    Green jacket, red cap,
    And white owl’s feather!

Down along the rocky shore
    Some make their home,
    They live on crispy pancakes
    Of yellow tide-foam;
    Some in the reeds
    Of the black mountain-lake,
    With frogs for their watchdogs,
    All night awake.

High on the hill-top
    The old King sits;
    He is now so old and grey
    He’s nigh lost his wits.
    With a bridge of white mist
    Columbkill he crosses,
    On his stately journeys
    From Slieveleague to Rosses;
    Or going up with the music
    On cold starry nights,
    To sup with the Queen
    Of the gay Northern Lights.

They stole little Bridget
    For seven years long;
    When she came down again
    Her friends were all gone.
    They took her lightly back,
    Between the night and morrow,
    They thought that she was fast asleep,
    But she was dead with sorrow.
    They have kept her ever since
    Deep within the lake,
    On a bed of fig-leaves,
    Watching till she wake.

By the craggy hillside,
    Through the mosses bare,
    They have planted thorn trees
    For my pleasure, here and there.
    Is any man so daring
    As dig them up in spite,
    He shall find their sharpest thorns
    In his bed at night.

Up the airy mountain,
    Down the rushy glen,
    We daren’t go a-hunting
    For fear of little men;
    Wee folk, good folk,
    Trooping all together;
    Green jacket, red cap,
    And white owl’s feather!

retalivity wrote: »
    And throughout the rest of donegal as well.

After the esb station and reservoir was built on the erne, and before the new bypass was built around ballyshannon, there was only the one bridge crossing the erne, joining the north bank of ballyshannon with the south. This was also the only bridge that joined all of donegal north of the river with the south, so if you wanted to go north of ballyshannon without having to traverse northern ireland, you crossed this bridge.

I had heard rumours before that during the troubles there was a plot by the uvf or similar to blow it up and effectively cut off northern donegal with the rest of the republic by road, due to the border restrictions and fear at the time. Not sure if there was ever any truth in it.

There was truth in it alright. It was a plot to blow up the dam at the hydro station.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

If you want to drive from the north of Leitrim to the south you have to leave the county. It is split by Lough Allen.

Drive from Drumshanbo up the west side to Drumkeeran, you pass through Co Roscommon.

Go up the east side to Dowra and on to Drumkeeran, you briefly pass through Co Cavan.

• Advertisement

Greybottle wrote: »
    If you want to drive from the north of Leitrim to the south you have to leave the county. It is split by Lough Allen.

Drive from Drumshanbo up the west side to Drumkeeran, you pass through Co Roscommon.

Go up the east side to Dowra and on to Drumkeeran, you briefly pass through Co Cavan.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

“Achooooooooo-ooooo!”

Holding your nose and closing your mouth while you sneeze (<100mph) might seem a harmless thing to do.
    But doctors have advised against it following the case of man who 'ruptured the back of his throat when doing so' (just 2 days ago).

Better out than in, but not all over your neighbour all the same.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Weighing over 400 lbs, this is heart of a Blue Whale. At a rate of 8 – 10 beats per minute the blue whale's heartbeat can be heard from over 2 miles away.

Blue-Whales-Heart.jpg?fit=581%2C767&ssl=1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    For certain types of scans people have to ingest or are injected with a medical contrast medium which increases the visibility of blood vessels and other parts of the body, like the gastrointestinal tract. These contrast agents are both very expensive and can cause very serious side effects. Over the last few years, it's been discovered that pineapple juice (and blueberry juice), when ingested, has the exact same effect as the contrast in terms of making parts of the gastrointestinal area more visible (this juice can't be used for, let's say, scans to the brain).

It was found to have "superparamagnetic" properties which cancel out the "hyper-intensity of the white signal of the duodenal gastric juice", among other things (or something to that effect).

Just one hospital went from spending €14,000 a year for the medium to about €400 for the juice.

More here (for neonatal use), and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Weighing over 400 lbs, this is heart of a Blue Whale. At a rate of 8 – 10 beats per minute the blue whale's heartbeat can be heard from over 2 miles away.

Incredible picture. Thanks for sharing, I've always been fascinated by Blue Whales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

85 year old movie composer John Williams (Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Indy, Schlinder's List, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Home Alone, etc) has never upskilled with modern technology and is in fact a complete novice when it comes to anything modern. Therefore, he is the only major Hollywood composer who still uses just a piano, pencil and paper when writing scores without any use of any synth or computer programs. Most movie composers use computer based orchestra mockup tools before passing it to a real orchestra, but Williams has been composing in the same way as he did in the 1950s.

His son is the lead singer in Toto.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Lucas Graham's dad was also from Ballyshannon, and Tony Blair's mother too.
    And, for videogame players, PlayerUnknown (Brendan Greene), eh, known for a popular game, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, was born in Ballyshannon, where I think his father was stationed in the army at Finner Camp. I think they moved to Kildare early in his youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭howyanow

Greybottle wrote: »

I don't think this is true.
    You can go from drumshanbo to Carrick via Leitrim village and not leave the county!

Incredible picture. Thanks for sharing, I've always been fascinated by Blue Whales.

What I find completely mind-boggling is that on one end of the scale you've got mammals the size of blue whales, and on the other you have the most minuscule of shrews. Both mammals. Both managing to stay alive within whatever structure their bodies have. A couple of years ago I held a live juvenile shrew (not sure what kind exactly) that, tail excluded, was no bigger that 1 or 1.5 cm. :) Nature is truly miraculous. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

howyanow wrote: »
    I don't think this is true.
    You can go from drumshanbo to Carrick via Leitrim village and not leave the county!

Drumshanbo is on the south side of Lough Allen though, that's not the problem.

• Advertisement

Drumshanbo is on the south side of Lough Allen though, that's not the problem.

I understand better now.I thought you were saying drumshanbo was on the north edge of the county.what about ballinamore to Carrick via mohill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I understand better now.I thought you were saying drumshanbo was on the north edge of the county.what about ballinamore to Carrick via mohill?

Ballinamore is South Leitrim too.

Ballinamore is South Leitrim too.

It's on the border with fermanagh so couldn't be in the south

Editing after googled map of Leitrim.surprised ballinamore not further north,it's more easterly!!learn something new everyday!

some years ago, there used to exist a group of men known as the BBC (Ballinamore Bachelors Club). They wore t-shirts with the BBC log etc. and would appear now and again in popular stag party venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

what about ballinamore to Carrick via mohill?

Well you wouldn't go that way anyway. Aside, Mohill is the Kilcock of Leitrim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Whale meat again,
    don't know where,
    don't know when,
    but I know whale meat again ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's on the border with fermanagh so couldn't be in the south

Editing after googled map of Leitrim.surprised ballinamore not further north,it's more easterly!!learn something new everyday!
    Ballinamore was a tidy town back in 1983. :pac:

Whale meat again,
    don't know where,
    don't know when,
    but I know whale meat again ...

Sink me! The Capt'n's a poet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So if you want to weigh a whale at a whale weigh station,

Where do you weigh a pie?

(Sing it)
    Somewhere over the rainbow, weigh a pie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ipso wrote: »
    William Allingham lived there, he wrote the following poem.

Up the airy mountain,
    Down the rushy glen,
    We daren’t go a-hunting
    For fear of little men
    Nobody ever goes in! Nobody ever comes out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement