Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Interesting. On that subject whats the average age of people on the planet?
    Like the most common. Out of the 7+ billion on the planet are there more 14 year olds? 25 year olds? or maybe 35 year olds? etc.

https://www.populationpyramid.net/world/2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Prior to the 1970s, scientists in labs use to pipette microbial, toxic and corrosive solutions using their mouth :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Prior to the 1970s, scientists in labs use to pipette microbial, toxic and corrosive solutions using their mouth :/
    People here were still doing it in the 80's

Heard one story of a lad mouth pipetting sodium cyanide and started to feel drowsy, practically diving across the bench to the chemicals you have to mix together to produce an antidote, when he noticed there was an open bottle of ether beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not the bacteria from Mayo tho

Mayo have won three All Irelands. Sadly, the last time we did was during the Korean War.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not the bacteria from Mayo tho

Mayo have won three All Irelands. Sadly, the last time we did was during the Korean War.
    Well the way things are going ye might just be in luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Well the way things are going ye might just be in luck.

I lived in South Korea for a year and love the place but if it was a choice between a Mayo All-Ireland and avoiding a horrible war, I'd find it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Scotty # wrote: »
    2.5kg of every human is actually bacteria in the intestines!

every human?

/glances worriedly at the nearby sleeping 10 week old

• Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Korean War is still going on. There was a ceasefire agreement, but a peace treaty has still not been agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Wossack wrote: »
    every human?

/glances worriedly at the nearby sleeping 10 week old

The average. Apologies.

There are about 3500 different species of bacteria within that 2.5KG and you would die without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The average. Apologies.

There are about 3500 different species of bacteria within that 2.5KG and you would die without them.

The gut microbiome is a fascinating subject. We are absolutely dependent on these little critters for our survival. Our understanding of the impact they have on our health both physical and mental is only in it's infancy

Slightly related - I was reading a thing the other day about household hygiene (as you do!). Basically the only substance known that comes even close to housing the same concentrations of bacteria as excrement, is your kitchen sponge. Let it build up for a few weeks and weight for weight it can house much the same concentration of bacteria as shít! :eek:

You shouldn't try to disinfect it, that will likely only make matters worse, you should just bin and replace it regularly (every week or so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Korean War is still going on. There was a ceasefire agreement, but a peace treaty has still not been agreed.

Mayo obviously didn't get the memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The gut microbiome is a fascinating subject. We are absolutely dependent on these little critters for our survival. Our understanding of the impact they have on our health both physical and mental is only in it's infancy

Slightly related - I was reading a thing the other day about household hygiene (as you do!). Basically the only substance known that comes even close to housing the same concentrations of bacteria as excrement, is your kitchen sponge. Let it build up for a few weeks and weight for weight it can house much the same concentration of bacteria as shít! :eek:

You shouldn't try to disinfect it, that will likely only make matters worse, you should just bin and replace it regularly (every week or so).
    While we're on the subject of 'poo' and intestine bacteria....

My Mrs is not allowed use hand sanitisers in here job as a carer. Hot soapy water only. Using hand sanitisers continuously for long periods drops the level of bacteria going into your mouth (and therefor intestine) to dangerous levels. What's the best way to recoup your bacteria if it's dangerously low I hear you ask??? Well, it's through a poo transplant of course, also know as a Fecal microbiota transplant. It's basically a tube down your nose and someone else's healthy, bacteria ridden, poo is pushed down. As we all have a different concoction of bacteria, the implant must come from someone very close to you, eg. lives in the same house. It's an extremely successful treatment apparently but it's enough to turn your stomach! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

While we're on the subject of 'poo' and intestine bacteria....

My Mrs is not allowed use hand sanitisers in here job as a carer. Hot soapy water only. Using hand sanitisers continuously for long periods drops the level of bacteria going into your mouth (and therefor intestine) to dangerous levels. What's the best way to recoup your bacteria if it's dangerously low I hear you ask??? Well, it's through a poo transplant of course, also know as a Fecal microbiota transplant. It's basically a tube down your nose and someone else's healthy, bacteria ridden, poo is pushed down. As we all have a different concoction of bacteria, the implant must come from someone very close to you, eg. lives in the same house. It's an extremely successful treatment apparently but it's enough to turn your stomach! :)

Vice did a segment on poo transplants. Worth a watch if youre into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That was a series of posts I wish I hadn't read at breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

For decades, Procter and Gamble or P&G who make products such as Head and Shoulders and Pampers nappys have tried to dispel rumours that they are part of the Church of Satan.

The rumours, which began in the 1980s, were started by a competitive company, Amway distributors and based on a circular logo used by P&G of a man overlooking 13 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For decades, Procter and Gamble or P&G who make products such as Head and Shoulders and Pampers nappys have tried to dispel rumours that they are part of the Church of Satan.

The rumours, which began in the 1980s, were started by a competitive company, Amway distributors and based on a circular logo used by P&G of a man overlooking 13 stars.

you mean that isn't true? I wont be buying their products any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Amway are ones to talk...fcuking Ponzi scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

At the end of the American Civil War, tens of thousands of southerners moved south to Brazil to begin again. Most moved south the the state of Sao Paulo but one group, led by Major Lansford Hastings decided to move north into the Amazon Jungle.

Lansford was granted a tract of land 259,000 acres for which he had to pay 22.5c/acre for at the end of 3 years.

Sadly, he died after one year of Yellow fever but their presence there began the process of understanding the history of indigenous cultures that had lived there before them.

I've included a link, from which I stole all the above, giving a bit of a history of th above.

https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/american-confederates-amazon-basin/

I can't believe you didn't quite this bit.
    One Confederate, Romulus J. Rhome, operated a large sugar cane plantation on such a terra preta site and took an interest in the abundance of archaeological artifacts that were buried in the soil.

That's one hell of a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you neuter a male lion, his mane will disappear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ouch.
    And not only his mane:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

eviltwin wrote: »

Oh I knew that because in the Zoo close to my hometown they had a neutered lion, he had testicular cancer. He started to show a lot of lioness behavior after it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

at the time the CEO said he wouldn't care if Real Christians boycotted his products, as there weren't enough real christians left to affect sales.

One of the less familiar of our many senses is the sense of equilibrioception, which helps our perception of how fast or slow our bodies move and in what way, and helps us factor in things like gravity in our movements and balance.

This sense is guided by the vestibular labyrinthine sensory system in your inner ear and when it's not working as it should - usually when inflammation from infection interferes with the communication of information between the sensory system and the brain - it can cause all kinds of issues with perception of direction or movement, vertigo, balance and even visual disturbance.

Instead of having good balance, you could say that someone has a good sense of equilibrioception, though it doesn't have the same ring to it.

Another interesting sense we take for granted is the sense of proprioception, which tells us what all our individual body parts are doing, and where they are relative to each other. So we can change the gear with one hand and depress the clutch with our foot and steer with the other hand all at the same time in reasonable co-ordination, or I can put my earring in the piercing in my ear without having to figure out where either my ear or the piercing through it is. If you have an itchy nose, your sense of proprioception will guide your hand directly to your nose without you having to locate your nose in a mirror to guide your hand.

Drugs and alcohol affect your sense of proprioception, which is why you may poke your eye out while trying to scratch your chin, stagger or fall asleep upside down if you're a bit of a lush.

Not really that interesting now I've typed it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Candie wrote: »
    One of the less familiar of our many senses is the sense of equilibrioception, which helps our perception of how fast or slow our bodies move and in what way, and helps us factor in things like gravity in our movements and balance.

This sense is guided by the vestibular labyrinthine sensory system in your inner ear and when it's not working as it should - usually when inflammation from infection interferes with the communication of information between the sensory system and the brain - it can cause all kinds of issues with perception of direction or movement, vertigo, balance and even visual disturbance.

Happened me a few years ago. Got an infection in my ear. Couldn't walk in a straight line. It was like being in a state of constant drunkenness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ineedaname wrote: »
    It was like being in a state of constant drunkenness.
    Who do I have to lick to get this infection? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Happened me a few years ago. Got an infection in my ear. Couldn't walk in a straight line. It was like being in a state of constant drunkenness.

:(

Infections can cause labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis, where the nerves become inflamed and that affects the signals travelling to the brain. That faulty signal results in the lack of coordination and problematic spatial perception, and you simply can't move or perceive movement in the same way.

I've never had anything like it, but my mother had viral vertigo a few years ago and found the disorientation really difficult to deal with.

I hope it's something I never experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

:(

Infections can cause abyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis, where the nerves become inflamed and that affects the signals travelling to the brain. That faulty signal results in the lack of coordination and problematic spatial perception, and you simply can't move or perceive movement in the same way.

I've never had anything like it, but my mother had viral vertigo a few years ago and found the disorientation really difficult to deal with.

I hope it's something I never experience.

Was actually driving when it happened so yeah pretty scary. Somehow managed to pull over but I was too disorientated to use the phone to call anyone. Thankfully a good samaritan was passing by and called for help.

The effect only lasted a few hours but even so it wasn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

And I'd agree fully with you. I often consider that we evolved solely for the benefit of Mitochondria.

Can I ask a little bit more on this? Curious to get more insight. I always thought of the mitochondria as something that was just part of the cell, in the way i would consider the nucleus to be, but would love to hear what you know. If it's very long don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Would equilibrioception include the sensation when you’re reversing into a car parking space, stop and the car next to you pulls out slowly making you think you’re reversing again so you slam on the brakes? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not really that interesting now I've typed it. :(

I thought it was very interesting, it's also cast some light on my sore eye and unusual sleeping position of late:D
    Would equilibrioception include the sensation when you’re reversing into a car parking space, stop and the car next to you pulls out slowly making you think you’re reversing again so you slam on the brakes? :rolleyes:

Happened me only yesterday, was stopped in traffic when a truck beside me started to inch forward I panicked and slammed on the brake thinking I was rolling back.
    This was on the naas road, not some dirt track half way up the andes, it's not like I would have tumbled to my death, but it did give me quite a fright for a second.
    In my defence it was early morning, I was still on auto pilot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement