Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And luckily so. Without all those "impurities" such as minerals etc being present in the first place, pure water if consumed, would strip them from your body and slowly but surely kill you! Or at least make you very ill.

The minerals we get from water are not needed. We get all the minerals we need from food. There is nothing wrong with drinking purified water. Reverse osmosis manufacturers only supply re-mineralising cartridges because of the above myth and for peace of mind to the consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The minerals we get from water are not needed. We get all the minerals we need from food. There is nothing wrong with drinking purified water. Reverse osmosis manufacturers only supply re-mineralising cartridges because of the above myth and for peace of mind to the consumer

It's not so much that they are needed by the body, it's that if they weren't there in the first place, the pure water you ingested would absorb them from your body leaving you deficient. I'm talking about pure H20 - I'm not sure how pure the water from a reverse osmosis pump is, but I doubt it's anything approaching actually pure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well it's not set in stone, some say she was sleeping with another lad (chap A) at the same time as the jewish son and he got her pregnant so they decided to scam the rich Jewish lad by pretending the baby belonged to him. Other people say she was having an affair with chap A's brother behind his back and the baby was actually his (he took Hitler's father in after chap A died). And some people say she was being secretly diddled by the Jewish father as well as the son and the baby could have belonged to either of them.
    It wouldn't be out of place on Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer!

Here's a piece about DNA tests they ran on his ancestors http://www.history.com/news/study-suggests-adolf-hitler-had-jewish-and-african-ancestors

A result like that doesn't really indicate he was Jewish, the category E1b1 is very broad and the mutation originated 22,000 years ago and has many subgroups.
    Most likely am insular group like Jews would have their own group.
    DNA testing has come a long way in the last 8 years so if his result was run through a public database you could see what ethnic group the matches are from.
    Also, an autosomal result would be a better indicator of any recent Jewish ancestry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_haplogroups_of_historic_people#Adolf_Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

It's not so much that they are needed by the body, it's that if they weren't there in the first place, the pure water you ingested would absorb them from your body leaving you deficient. I'm talking about pure H20 - I'm not sure how pure the water from a reverse osmosis pump is, but I doubt it's anything approaching actually pure.

Do you have a source for this? I feel that I am perhaps being pedantic but the water we consume either from tap, bottle, purified or whatever is not already saturated with the minerals contained within our bodies. Given that, surely then drinking any water would leech the minerals from our body, it wouldn't matter how pure it is. Purity would allow for water to absorb more but containing some mineral wouldn't mean that it couldn't dissolve any more. (i.e. if 100ml pure water could dissolve 20mg Ca, then bottled water already containing 1mg/100ml would only be able to absorb 19mg more - I realise other factors at play and these aren't real figures but just to give the jist of what I'm saying).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's always water intoxication. And I suppose, the lower the mineral content, the bigger the likelihood of it occurring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

VandC wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this? I feel that I am perhaps being pedantic but the water we consume either from tap, bottle, purified or whatever is not already saturated with the minerals contained within our bodies. Given that, surely then drinking any water would leech the minerals from our body, it wouldn't matter how pure it is. Purity would allow for water to absorb more but containing some mineral wouldn't mean that it couldn't dissolve any more. (i.e. if 100ml pure water could dissolve 20mg Ca, then bottled water already containing 1mg/100ml would only be able to absorb 19mg more - I realise other factors at play and these aren't real figures but just to give the jist of what I'm saying).

It has to do with the tonicity of the water relative to your body/cells. If the mineral content of the water is too low your cells will try absorb water in order to balance out the mineral content in your cells to the water. If the cells try to absorb too much water they can burst. The opposite is also bad. If there's too high a mineral content in the water it can leech water out of your cells causing them to not function properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

VandC wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this?.

https://curiosity.com/topics/you-should-not-drink-ultra-pure-water-its-dangerous-curiosity/

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-purest-of-them-all/

It's not exactly peer reviewed science, but it's what I could find quickly in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

New Home wrote: »
    There's always water intoxication. And I suppose, the lower the mineral content, the bigger the likelihood of it occurring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

That appears to be from more from extreme circumstances like overdoing the water after popping a pill. I'm not sure if it would happen in a normal circumstances.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That happened to my aunt when she was a teenager, and she definitely wasn't on drugs.

It also happened to Anthony Andrews during a play, he was downing 8 litres of water a day and he ended up in ICU, completely unconscious, for three days.

I'm not saying it's very common, but it's not that unlikely either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Apparently the Moon orbits us from the west to the east, but we see it move across the sky east to west because of the rate of the Earth’s rotation. The analogy is that it’s like being in a faster car watching a slower car (heading in the same absolute direction) fall further and further behind.

https://cseligman.com/text/sky/moonmotion.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Apparently the Moon orbits us from the west to the east, but we see it move across the sky east to west because of the rate of the Earth’s rotation. The analogy is that it’s like being in a faster car watching a slower car (heading in the same absolute direction) fall further and further behind.

https://cseligman.com/text/sky/moonmotion.htm

Mercury's orbit of the sun is even weirder. It has the most elliptical orbit of all the planets and it's day is almost exactly two thirds of it's year. These two things combined lead to a very unusual day.

If you were standing in the right place you'd see the sun rise from the east, stop, go backwards, rise again and then set in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Ineedaname wrote: »
    If you were standing in the right place you'd see the sun rise from the east, stop, go backwards, rise again and then set in the west.
    while getting a lovely tan :)

while getting a lovely tan :)

Nights on Mercury can reach -173 degrees so you better pack a warm jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Nights on Mercury can reach -173 degrees so you better pack a warm jacket.

Ah I'll just hop back in my spaceship :)

Having said I would love to see that type of environment up close...never gonna happen!

Ah I'll just hop back in my spaceship :)

Having said I would love to see that type of environment up close...never gonna happen!

Yeah defo. There's some amazing sights all across the solar system that it would be great to see up close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Which of them is it than when it rains, whatever the atmosphere is made from, it rains diamonds? Is that in our system or elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

There's 5 million cows and 7 million sheep in Ireland. That's the best l can offer !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

david75 wrote: »
    Which of them is it than when it rains, whatever the atmosphere is made from, it rains diamonds? Is that in our system or elsewhere?

You're thinking of Kerry.

You're thinking of Kerry.

The wild Atlantic rip off? Let’s not :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nope, no diamond rain. Diamonds need serious pressure.

If you heat a diamond up without pressure it will turn into a worthless chunk of carbon.

Diamonds are found at the heart of very large carbon rich planets and stuff.

About 50 light years away there's a star called Lucy that's a little heavier than our sun. And depending on who you believe it's mostly diamond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

About 50 light years away there's a star called Lucy that's a little heavier than our sun. And depending on who you believe it's mostly diamond.

Is it not called Twinkle Twinkle?

No, it's Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

(Waits for "That's the joke" comments)

If you heat a diamond up without pressure it will turn into a worthless chunk of carbon.

Right! It’s raining acid on mercury or something right?

Where’d the diamond thing come from? Sure I heard it somewhere. No matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Gas giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Think it's on this very thread that it rains diamonds on Jupiter and Saturn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Saturn and Jupiter, where carbon is abundant in the atmosphere coupled with sufficient heat and pressure - result; diamond hailstones.

Cool thanks. Knew I didn’t imagine that. Or hoped I didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's raining acid right here on earth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read a theory that black diamonds are formed in Neutron stars. They only occur in two places on earth so it's a common belief that they are from meteorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Grayson wrote: »
    I read a theory that black diamonds are formed in Neutron stars. They only occur in two places on earth so it's a common belief that they are from meteorites.

I read this as neutron stars occur in two places on Earth at first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement