Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Make sure you don't drink it so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Won't someone please think of the homeopaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I wouldn't expect to see milk in turf now.

Butter has been found in it ;)

Bog Butter

As have bodies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Humans have between 2-8,000 taste buds, enough to enjoy a wide variety of culinary delights. Cows, with their varied diet of eh, grass, have on average 25,000 taste buds!

That's why they taste lovely!

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Didn’t know the worlds greatest blagger Orson Welles got his start in the Gate theatre in Dublin. He literally blagged his way into the job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,924 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

david75 wrote: »
    Didn’t know the worlds greatest blagger Orson Welles got his start in the Gate theatre in Dublin. He literally blagged his way into the job too.

Spent some time selling paintings to farmers in the West too. Somebody may have an original Welles painting on their walls in Clare or thereabouts. :)

Fascinating man.

Spent some time selling paintings to farmers in the West too. Somebody may have an original Welles painting on their walls in Clare or thereabouts. :)

Fascinating man.

Didn’t know that!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

david75 wrote: »
    Didn’t know that!!

Did'nt know you didn't know that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Riva10 wrote: »

Neither did I! :D

And luckily so. Without all those "impurities" such as minerals etc being present in the first place, pure water if consumed, would strip them from your body and slowly but surely kill you! Or at least make you very ill.

Does rain water have minerals in it? Don't think there would be much in the way of pollutants in the rain over here in the West.

• Advertisement

Riva10 wrote: »

As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Oldtree wrote: »
    Does rain water have minerals in it? Don't think there would be much in the way of pollutants in the rain over here in the West.
    Iirc, water vapour condenses around dust to form drops that fall as rain.

As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.
    I Knew That ;)

I know what I know and I know some of what I don't know and I don't know what unknowns I don't know because they're of an unknown quantity.

If you know what I mean.

Candie wrote: »
    I know what I know and I know some of what I don't know and I don't know what unknowns I don't know because they're of an unknown quantity.

If you know what I mean.

I know.

I know.

And I knew you did.

This could go on ad infinitum so I'll shut up now. :)

And I knew you did.

you lost me there, what was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know.

I knew too but I didn't know you knew.

you lost me there, what was the question again?

Damned if I know!

Iirc, water vapour condenses around dust to form drops that fall as rain.

What is that 'Dust'? is it fine sand/nuclear fallout? What i'm trying to get at is the mineral content of the rain water and where it gets it? does it absorb the dust content?

My reason for asking is that I have been drinking rain water for years and am not dead yet. :D but sbsquarepants has me worried so there must be some mineral content in the rain water if he/she correct.
    And luckily so. Without all those "impurities" such as minerals etc being present in the first place, pure water if consumed, would strip them from your body and slowly but surely kill you! Or at least make you very ill.

• Advertisement

Damned if I know!

Maby Professor Moriarty will reprhase for us? :)

Damned if I know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKXHEPXeQXo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What is that 'Dust'? is it fine sand/nuclear fallout? What i'm trying to get at is the mineral content of the rain water and where it gets it? does it absorb the dust content?

My reason for asking is that I have been drinking rain water for years and am not dead yet. :D but sbsquarepants has me worried so there must be some mineral content in the rain water if he/she correct.
    Just normal dust and sand, the more microscopic pieces carried aloft as they as smaller and blowing around in the atmosphere.

An example would be the dust splatters left on a car after a summer shower and the rain left on the car evaporating. The bigger grains left on the car would be atmospheric dust blowing around at ground level but the smaller grains would be from forming rain.

At least that was the way it was explained to us in school.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

So if the human body is mostly water, how long would it take to totally evaporate? You’d have to stay still for bloody ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

No one has ever been in an empty room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just normal dust and sand, the more microscopic pieces carried aloft as they as smaller and blowing around in the atmosphere.

An example would be the dust splatters left on a car after a summer shower and the rain left on the car evaporating. The bigger grains left on the car would be atmospheric dust blowing around at ground level but the smaller grains would be from forming rain.

At least that was the way it was explained to us in school.

It also contains dissolved chemicals, carbon dioxide being the main one, plus any pollutants in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A recent enough book also claims he was more or less openly homosexual in his younger life and had several same sex relationships before going all genocidal and whatnot.

There's also a strong possibility he had Jewish ancestory. His grandmother worked as a maid in a wealthy Jewish household and it was rumoured that the 19 year old son had a secret affair with her. She became pregnant with Hitler's father and suddenly moved away, after the birth she left the section for the father's name blank on the birth cert. It's alleged that she received regular payments from the boy's father for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's also a strong possibility he had Jewish ancestory. His grandmother worked as a maid in a wealthy Jewish household and it was rumoured that the 19 year old son had a secret affair with her. She became pregnant with Hitler's father and suddenly moved away, after the birth she left the section for the father's name blank on the birth cert. It's alleged that she received regular payments from the boy's father for a number of years.

Didn’t see that coming at all! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Didn’t see that coming at all! :eek:
    Well it's not set in stone, some say she was sleeping with another lad (chap A) at the same time as the jewish son and he got her pregnant so they decided to scam the rich Jewish lad by pretending the baby belonged to him. Other people say she was having an affair with chap A's brother behind his back and the baby was actually his (he took Hitler's father in after chap A died). And some people say she was being secretly diddled by the Jewish father as well as the son and the baby could have belonged to either of them.
    It wouldn't be out of place on Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer!

Here's a piece about DNA tests they ran on his ancestors http://www.history.com/news/study-suggests-adolf-hitler-had-jewish-and-african-ancestors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement