Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

VG31 wrote: »
    2017 was the first year in the last 60 for there to not be a single death on a commercial jet aircraft.

There were only two fatal crashes involving commercial scheduled flights, both of which were turbo-prop aircraft.

All down to Trump:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Also tweeted by trump:
    The rhombitriheptagonal tiling is a semiregular tiling of the hyperbolic plane. At each vertex of the tiling there is one triangle and one heptagon, alternating between two squares.

600px-H2_tiling_237-5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Characters on cereal boxes like Snap, Crackle and Pop and Tony the Tiger are usually drawn with their eyes looking downwards.
    The reason being that when the box is up on the shelf Tony or whoever will seem to be looking directly down at a child and making eye contact. It's then more likely that the child will feel a bond with that character and ask the parent to buy them that brand of cereal.

Also, most supermarkets also have the most child oriented sweets and snacks at knee-waist level, or child eye-level, to attract their attention and possibly coerce the parents into buying whatever is.
    Similarily, the most frequent things people buy are milk and bread - these are usually placed as far from the entrance or tills as possible, to ensure that customers have to pass as much other stuff as possible, to try drive impulse buying. Having worked in retail marketing, thats only the tip of the iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think supermarkets move the placement of certain items so people will have to walk around more and maybe spend more.
    It,s not just bread or milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

riclad wrote: »
    I think supermarkets move the placement of certain items so people will have to walk around more and maybe spend more.
    It,s not just bread or milk.
    They also deliberately keep moving stuff around hoping you'll buy something else, wrecks my head at least lidl/aldi are a little more consistent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Quazzie wrote: »
    It must be awkward knowing that there are two times every day you can take photos for a watch advert

Unless the watch has stopped at 10.10 Then you have all the time in the world.
    And a stopped watch will tell you the exact time twice every 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Riva10 wrote: »
    And a stopped watch will tell you the exact time twice every 24 hours.

A similar saying made infamous in the cult classic "Withnail and I"
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Humans have between 2-8,000 taste buds, enough to enjoy a wide variety of culinary delights. Cows, with their varied diet of eh, grass, have on average 25,000 taste buds!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Humans have between 2-8,000 taste buds, enough to enjoy a wide variety of culinary delights. Cows, with their varied diet of eh, grass, have on average 25,000 taste buds!

I guess that makes them appreciate the full... bouquet... of aromas! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

More Hitler trivia :pac: He liked to pretend that he had nothing whatsoever to do with women, he claimed he was 'married to the people' and kept his relationship with Eva Braun a secret. Despite being together for 15 years they only got married once Hitler knew his goose was cooked the day before their death.
    He was also a serial cheater and several woman (8 I think) whom he had affairs with commited suicide because he treated them so badly. Braun tried to kill herself twice because of his womanising.

A recent enough book also claims he was more or less openly homosexual in his younger life and had several same sex relationships before going all genocidal and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well there are approximately 12000 species of grass so maybe they need all those taste buds!
    Bamboo, and cereals are types of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

retalivity wrote: »
    3rd smallest independent country in the world, and its phosphate deposits were guano, literally birdsh1t.
    Its population has also increased recently due to the refugee detention centre australia built there

From the Beeb:
    The detention camp is a major employer and source of income on the island. Since 2013 Australia has sent all asylum-seekers arriving by boat into detention on Nauru and Papua New Guinea, and denied them resettlement in Australia despite an outcry from rights groups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you cared about!"
    - Troy McClure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

"Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you cared about!"
    - Troy McClure

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Turnips have more water content than milk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Freshly cut turf has more water than milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Freshly felled Oak can have a water content of around 50%. Conifers can be up to 60%.
    Ash can have a water content of around 35%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

next time you're offline, play the free google chrome dinosaur game:

giphy.gif

It's possible to mine bitcoins with pencil and paper
    http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LirW wrote: »
    Some trivia from home for you:

The new Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, who's the youngest serving head of state in Europe at the age of 31, has no formal education. He dropped out of university when his political career took off. He only has the equivalent of the leaving cert going and didn't have a proper job or ever finished his course. This is a constant running gag back home.

The vice chancellor of the freedom party which is far at right wing, has no political education either but is a trained dental technician.

I didn't know that not having a university degree qualified as having 'no formal education'! Wow!

These guys might be no genius, but they have at least some formal education. There are many successful people in business and public life not held back by this sort of snobbery all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I didn't know that not having a university degree qualified as having 'no formal education'! Wow!

These guys might be no genius, but they have at least some formal education. There are many successful people in business and public life not held back by this sort of snobbery all over the world.

I have no degree myself. I might have to say to hat Austrians are crazy about titles, if you don't have one, you're nothing. That's how it runs there. So a politician without any political education is quite an outrage there but it's not uncommon because of so called "Freunderlwirtschaft".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LirW wrote: »
    Some trivia from home for you:

The new Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, who's the youngest serving head of state in Europe at the age of 31, has no formal education. He dropped out of university when his political career took off. He only has the equivalent of the leaving cert going and didn't have a proper job or ever finished his course. This is a constant running gag back home.

The vice chancellor of the freedom party which is far at right wing, has no political education either but is a trained dental technician.

The former chancellor who got into the position in an election, resigned in 2016 had no real education either. He was a taxi driver before he started working as a bank clerk.

The same coalition was in place 10 years ago and left the country in huge financial distress. With the freedom party in power the People's party moved a lot further to the right. Because of the financial crash one bank found itself in incredible financial distress and since a few highly ranked politicians were somehow tied to them with their own business it was nationalised over night (literally!) and a few days later, when it crashed, it left the country with 18 billion Euro in debt.
    Yet the same coalition was re-elected now, 10 years later, with a few people involved in it back then still in high ranks.
    Memories are short.
    Shure we had a leader who never had a bank account.
    I bet the Austrians can't beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Most of the turf I footed had more water than water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ipso wrote: »
    Most of the turf I footed had more water than water.

That Diluted Turf is much more Environmentally Friendly though ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Oldtree wrote: »
    Freshly felled Oak can have a water content of around 50%. Conifers can be up to 60%.
    Ash can have a water content of around 35%.
    The human body is 60% water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Water is not 100% water

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wouldn't expect to see milk in turf now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The human body is 60% water.

75% of the human brain is water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Water is not 100% water

And luckily so. Without all those "impurities" such as minerals etc being present in the first place, pure water if consumed, would strip them from your body and slowly but surely kill you! Or at least make you very ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

This thread is getting towards being 100% water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement