Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

That's nice.

Bear in mind that the childhood memories of religion of others may not be so benign.

Lots of people have happy memories of their school days, or swimming lessons etc
    Should they never be mentioned again either in case someone is hurt?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Where and when are these meetings on cabaal?

There is this wonderful website called Google, either that or the AI website will give you what you seek. :)

I've never been to one, but I know they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Cabaal wrote: »
    There is this wonderful website called Google, either that or the AI website will give you what you seek. :)

I've never been to one, but I know they exist.

There only appear to be one or two venues and one or two meetings a month! Theree musn't be too many atheists out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

No but the lack of meetings indicates there is little interest in atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

or a lack of interest among atheists in meeting up .... to be honest its no real indication of anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Im not really sure what there is to be interested IN?

Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of God - I dont usually meet up to discuss things I dont believe in - do you?

Well I presume that most of the atheists attending the meetings are interested in furthering the cause of the complete separation of church and state which is of course a perfectly legitimate cause, albeit one which doesn't appear to concern the majority of citizens on a daily basis
    Most atheists I meet are just people who don't believe in a "higher being " but are quite happy to let anyone else believe in anything they want without feeling the need to pass any remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

If you read back on my posts you will realise that I am very familiar with " the good book". And despise evil in all forms.

Is this theistic virtue signalling?
    If you want it to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I've been to a few meetings for atheists and most of them go like quite like this:

A: Hi. Fancy a beer?
    B: Yep, the usual.
    C: Me too!
    A: Grand, they're on the way.
    B: Thanks.
    A: Ah, here we are.
    B + C: Great, thanks!
    B: So, A, any plans for holidays this year?
    A: Not sure yet. Was hoping to go to Spain again, but I'm not sure if work will give me the time off.
    C: Which part of Spain were you thinking of? I was there last year on a cycling holiday around Galicia. Great fun though the beer was a bit crap.
    A: Nah, I was thinking of the east as I've a few friends there.
    B: In Barcelona?
    A: Yeah, near the city center.
    C: <and so on>

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    I've been to a few meetings for atheists and most of them go like quite like this:

A: Not sure yet. Was hoping to go to Spain again, but I'm not sure if work will give me the time off.
    C: Which part of Spain were you thinking of? I was there last year on a cycling holiday around Galicia. Great fun though the beer was a bit crap.

I hope this helps.

It helps reinforce my idea of how boring it would be to bump into you in a pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The absence of a dynamic avampirism society obviously indicates that most people have no real problem with vampirism. Anybody going out for a bite later?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robindch wrote: »

I hope this helps.

I thought it would go like this:

Chair: I declare this meeting open.
    Proposer: I propose a vote on belief in a god or gods!
    Chair: A simple show of hands and a simple majority?
    Proposer: Yes, that'd do fine.
    Chair: The proposal is, Do we believe in a god or gods.
    Chair: Ok, that seems to be 0 in favour.
    Proposer 2: Let's have biscuits!
    Proposer 3: Jaffa cakes!
    Proposer 1 and 2: We have an infiltrator! Traitor! Get him!

The meeting breaks up in disorderly chaos...

Kafka, Pollock, Mozart, Kierkegaard...I'm sure the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pauldla wrote: »
    Kafka, Pollock, Mozart, Kierkegaard...I'm sure the list goes on.
    It's hard to say Kierkegaard after a few pints.

I stick to Dostoyevsky. Much better lighthearted pub banter

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's hard to say Kierkegaard after a few pints.

I stick to Dostoyevsky. Much better lighthearted pub banter

He's a bit depressing though. Kierkegaard is much more fun, leaping all over the place. You can take bets on where he'll land, and if he'll knock over any pints.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I thought it would go like this:

Chair: I declare this meeting open.
    Proposer: I propose a vote on belief in a god or gods!
    Chair: A simple show of hands and a simple majority?
    Proposer: Yes, that'd do fine.
    Chair: The proposal is, Do we believe in a god or gods.
    Chair: Ok, that seems to be 0 in favour.
    Proposer 2: Let's have biscuits!
    Proposer 3: Jaffa cakes!
    Proposer 1 and 2: We have an infiltrator! Traitor! Get him!

The meeting breaks up in disorderly chaos...

Are you not being a bit presumptious with a chair + 3 proposers? It's an atheist meeting after all so where will they find 4 people to attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I know, it must be like finding intelligence at a Healy-Rae/Lowry fundraiser. ;)

I know, it must be like finding intelligence at a Healy-Rae/Lowry fundraiser. ;)
    I know what you mean, those millionaires healy-rae and Lowry must be fair stupid!

• Advertisement

Are you not being a bit presumptious with a chair + 3 proposers? It's an atheist meeting after all so where will they find 4 people to attend!

Over your head, Dan. Of course, the chair is 'playing' all four parts.

Most atheists are just angry teens tryin' to seem cool, or theists in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So Dan, you're admitting it'd be easy to find 4 atheists for an atheist meeting? :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not at all, I'm an atheist and I know countless other atheists. But I honestly don't know any of them that have attended an AI meeting or even expressed an interest in doing so.

Being an atheist isnt like being part of a religion, the only requirement is none belief to be an atheist.. What you do with your free time is totally upto you.

It's a sad state of affairs when a person who is religious would rather make pathetic attempts to mock AI meetings then sort out the train wreck which is the plummeting mass attendance in their own religion. After all actually going to mass is very important in religions. Going to some meeting doesn't matter a jot to atheists though.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Over your head, Dan. Of course, the chair is 'playing' all four parts.

Most atheists are just angry teens tryin' to seem cool, or theists in denial.

I doubt if anything you would be capable of even dreaming would go over my head son.

Being an atheist isnt like being part of a religion, the only requirement is none belief to be an atheist.. What you do with your free time is totally upto you.

Then why your obsession with religion and mass attendances?

I doubt if anything you would be capable of even dreaming would go over my head son.

Whatever you say, Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have been given the answer to this so many times...

What's the point in asking me this question again?

Since you asked again, I'll repeat it again. It pays to be aware of how an organisation that likes to restrict rights, freedoms and discrimates 4 year old operates. Seeing it in decline after years of cover up, abuse and selling baby's is a positive step, a step they only have themselves to blame for.

What's your obsession with all things atheist? You're the one posting so much in this forum after all ;)

What's the point in asking me this question again?

Since you asked again, I'll repeat it again. It pays to be aware of how an organisation that likes to restrict rights, freedoms and discrimates 4 year old operates. Seeing it in decline after years of cover up, abuse and selling baby's is a positive step, a step they only have themselves to blame for.

What's your obsession with all things atheist? You're the one posting so much in this forum after all ;)

Are you serious? You feel your rights and freedoms are restricted? What are you restricted from doing and what are you not free to do if you really want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I know what you mean, those millionaires healy-rae and Lowry must be fair stupid!
    Nothing at all wrong with healy-are family. Brilliant guys.

Advertisement