Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

DellyBelly wrote: »
    i really don't like ot give out my address on a public forum but I'm currently in the northwest

I'm sure people are only wondering what county you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Must have missed that hail shower in Sligo.

It was around 1425pm

Only lasted 2 or 3 mins though

met E feck off with ur downgrades

no siberian risk anymore either now

just mild meh

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

At the beach few miles south of Donegal Town; temp 6.9, windchill -5.4, dew point 0.1, gusting 63kmph. Bit of hail atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

By midnight on Friday virtually the whole country ought to have seen snow accumulation according to HIRLAM (might be overdoing it but still very encouraging). :)

Just a quick health warning for that chart, it shows cumulative snow precipitation not lying snow. You could have 30cm of wet snow falling with 0mm of it lying.

If temps were low enough it would be a good guide, but because we're marginal it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

shmaupel wrote: »
    At the beach few miles south of Donegal Town; temp 6.9, windchill -5.4, dew point 0.1, gusting 63kmph. Bit of hail atm.

Currently colder than that in parts of the East which I'm surprised with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Starting to get dark outside as it's almost 4:30pm

Grand stretch in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rougies wrote: »
    Just a quick health warning for that chart, it shows cumulative snow precipitation not lying snow. You could have 30cm of wet snow falling with 0mm of it lying.

If temps were low enough it would be a good guide, but because we're marginal it's not.

exactly!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Currently colder than that in parts of the East which I'm surprised with!

Colder than that in Wicklow 4* with dp -1 but I'm 220mtrs asl

• Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rougies wrote: »

boy-fingers-in-ears-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

feardeas wrote: »
    I'm the equivalent to a card carrying violent atheist in Peter's Basilica here. This chat frightens the you know what out of me.

After 2010/2011 if I never saw the stuff again I wouldn't be sorry. However to those of you looking forward to it at least some will enjoy if it happens.

lol! I am not as "bad" as you but with the move timed for loading the van Friday and travelling overnight northward Fri/Sat...

If I am safe in, better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Where can I see the harmonie? Is this since their earlier warnings?

It's not publicly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Villain wrote: »
    It's not publicly available.

They use hirlam as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

If you're following the Apergè model it doesn't give very much rain/snow across the country but if you're following the Hirlam it gives widespread snow across most of the country.

Just to give an idea of what's going on and the difficulties in the forecast. This is a clip from the Met Office.

On the clip on the monitor behind him it appears to show the low pressure coming down across the country at 6o'clock tomorrow and the precipitation with it. But as Alex says they're looking at two different charts.
    I know how you feel mate.:confused:

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    If you're following the Apergè model it doesn't give very much rain/snow across the country but if you're following the Hirlam it gives widespread snow across most of the country.

Just to give an idea of what's going on and the difficulties in the forecast. This is a clip from the Met Office.

On the clip on the monitor behind him it appears to show the low pressure coming down across the country at 6o'clock tomorrow and the precipitation with it. But as Alex says they're looking at two different charts.

It really is a nowcast. Impossibly to predict showers merging and rain/snow in marginal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

And that's the difference between the met office and met eireann, black and white. Met eireann would never do videos like that to keep people informed especially people who cannot read weather charts and rely on updates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just look at sat 24 and make your own mind up.

To me atlantic is currently in control but from late tonight the colder air may change things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember the eagle( John Eagleton) saying something similar back in December 2009, we missed out on over 12 hours of heavy frontal snow due to the temperature being 1 - 2 degrees too high. As was said nine out of ten times it goes wrong for us, but i suppose that makes the one time it goes our way extra special

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1658 update from met eireann, bit of a come down "bright with occasional showers"

"Tomorrow, Thursday, will be bitterly cold. Some rain or sleet (snow on higher ground) in parts of the south at first, clearing in the morning, otherwise a bright day with sunny spells and occasional showers of hail, sleet and snow, some heavy and thundery, especialy in the west and north. Good dry periods in eastern and southeastern areas, where the showers will be well scattered. Afternoon temperatures of 2 to 4 degrees Celsius, in moderate to fresh westerly winds, later veering northwesterly and strengthening in Atlantic coastal areas."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Last minute downgrades are bitterly disappointing.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Last minute downgrades are bitterly disappointing.

A lot of uncertainty still. It's a nowcast but there will be snow and it can change again in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Have you ever got the feeling that when the shift changes at Met Eireann,the new shift type up the forecast and click submit without ever looking at the old one?

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Have you ever got the feeling that when the shift changes at Met Eireann,the new shift type up the forecast and click submit without ever looking at the old one?

Definitely. There is some difference also between what is written on their website and said on the radio/TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So in short, is the chance of snow this evening lessening?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So in short, is the chance of snow this evening lessening?

no. not for the areas that were favoured to get snow, this is the north west. further south it's marginal, it will likely snow when the precipitation from the front is about to clear away

All is not lost!

5pm TAF out for Irish airports, and its looking good!

Dublin Airport

Chance of moderate showers of snow from 3pm-6pm

Cork Airport

Chance of moderate sleet 6am-9am
    Temporary moderate sleet 9am-6pm
    Chance of moderate snow 12pm-6pm

Shannon Airport

Chance of light showers sleet 6pm today-6am tomorrow,
    Temporary moderate showers sleet 6am-6pm tomorrow,
    Chance of snow 12pm-6pm tomorrow.

Knock Airport

Temporary light showers sleet 6pm today to 4am tomorrow
    Temporary light showers snow 5am-6pm tomorrow
    Chance of moderate showers snow 4pm-6pm tomorrow

1658 update from met eireann, bit of a come down "bright with occasional showers"

"Tomorrow, Thursday, will be bitterly cold. Some rain or sleet (snow on higher ground) in parts of the south at first, clearing in the morning, otherwise a bright day with sunny spells and occasional showers of hail, sleet and snow, some heavy and thundery, especialy in the west and north. Good dry periods in eastern and southeastern areas, where the showers will be well scattered. Afternoon temperatures of 2 to 4 degrees Celsius, in moderate to fresh westerly winds, later veering northwesterly and strengthening in Atlantic coastal areas."

The forecast for Munster considerably downgraded on met.ie. hardly a need for a warning reading that.

All is not lost!

Dublin Airport

Cork Airport

Shannon Airport

Knock Airport

Who prepare them?

All is not lost!

Dublin Airport

Cork Airport

Shannon Airport

Knock Airport

Is Cork airport situated on high ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Is Cork airport situated on high ground?

Yes, 153m asl

• Advertisement

Who prepare them?

I'm fairly sure met Eireann do funnily enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement