Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker €20 Littlewoods - Free delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i've a 6.5 litre slow cooker, great machine. usually make enough for about 7 dinners in it, eat for 2 days , and freeze 5. maybe do the same with a different dinner for variety. makes the cost of the dinners very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Argos have a 5.5l Breville for €28.
    Is Swan a good brand? Never heard of them before

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jay0109 wrote: »
    Argos have a 5.5l Breville for €28.
    Is Swan a good brand? Never heard of them before

The brand makes no difference at all. These are very simple appliances. Bought my 6.5l in Aldi a few years ago for €22.99 and it's great. This is an even better bargain, I don't think I've seen a large one for €20 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rosknight

Is it possible to get one of these that operate on a timer. i.e. it turns on itself at a certain time.

I leave the house early in the morning and not back to 6pm. Wouldn't want it on all day but would be handy if I could get one that could be programmed to come on at 1pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rosknight wrote: »
    Is it possible to get one of these that operate on a timer. i.e. it turns on itself at a certain time.

I leave the house early in the morning and not back to 6pm. Wouldn't want it on all day but would be handy if I could get one that could be programmed to come on at 1pm.

The whole point of this is to leave it on all day, we pack our 6.5lt up before school/work and put it on low, food ready then for 5.30-6.00.
    At the weekend if doing something in it we leave it on overnight.
    Can't remember the electricity usage, think it was minimal compared to over usage...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes there are programable ones on the market. I have one that is also a sous-vide machine and I can set it to go on and off. You wont find one for 20 euro though, more like 50+

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No need for a timer at all as slave1 said. Just leave it on and leave the house. Perfectly safe. Even on high, these yokes do not go over 95C, so couldn't even boil over, let alone catch fire or something

If you must use a timer, just plug in one of those cheap €5 mechanical timers

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Is the black one the same model? Looks the same but the discount appears to be much lower (end price is the same though) http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/swan-55-litre-slow-cooker-black/1458035801.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any recommended recipe websites? I am just wondering is this worth investing in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any recommended recipe websites? I am just wondering is this worth investing in....

Handy for stews,casseroles and curries,meat is nice and tender from them,they also allow use of cheaper cuts of meat due to the slow long cooking times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055468379/1/#post58706572 there's a really good chilli recipe there. Bit of work to find some of the ingredients but well worth it.

Edit: Actually this is the one I'm referring to http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055938138

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭momec

I had a swan slow cooker from Littlewoods. It was perfect until I cracked it (my own fault). Excellent value at €20.

RE the timer, I have used it with a cheap timer from Mr Price with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

It's not advisable to turn them off and let them cool and sit at room temperature. The danger zone for bacterial growth is between about 5 and 60 degrees C. It's better to chill below this (in a fridge or freezer) or hold above (in a slow cooker, for example). Early morning to 6pm in a slow cooker would be pretty normal and very have a very nice result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

....... wrote: »
    I have one and love it but wouldn't trust leaving it on all day while I'm out. I use it overnight

So you'd rather be in bed asleep if your house went up in flames is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Esse85 wrote: »
    So you'd rather be in bed asleep if your house went up in flames is it?

My first thought also. :eek:

Anyhow, i just bought it on littlewoods, but i didn't have to pay for it upfront, i have 400 flexible credit!!!!!

I won't be using the credit(i think) as its 39% APR.

I assume from reading on the site that i get a bill at the end of the month.

If i pay it straight away, then i don't buy it through credit and i am not charged APR.

Anybody with experience with littlewoods clear that up for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Just bought one- you can use One4All vouchers with Littlewoods (for anybody unaware of this), handy if you got one at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Spoiled for choice here - https://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/

also...

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Purchased. Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just use a timer plugged in at the wall, like this
    me_irl wrote: »
    Eh and also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Great value, thanks.

First time using Littlewoods and when trying to register an account it is asking me for my salary etc and only seems to be allowing me to open a credit account which I don't want. Can I not just pay for the item without setting up a credit account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ordered thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

Just a word of caution after some personal experience with slow cookers after a friend (who has 2 of them) recommended I buy. It went into the attic after one week, for the following reasons. Yes it does produce very tender mest, especially if using tougher joints, but it overcooks everything else. Any vegetables or potatoes added basically becomes an unappetising mush. A Thai curry, totally dependent on the freshness of the other ingredients was dreadful. As it cooks so slowly there is almost no reduction of liquid, which is an important part in imparting taste to a dish. So, as an enthusiastic amateur chef, there may be dishes that suit this, but I see it as a timesaving device, lazy cooking really. Just my 2c worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

Excellent price for the capacity, just ordered one for the wife, its her birthday Monday.. major brownie points for me.. 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭craggy2

sibersha wrote: »
    Great value, thanks.

First time using Littlewoods and when trying to register an account it is asking me for my salary etc and only seems to be allowing me to open a credit account which I don't want. Can I not just pay for the item without setting up a credit account?

I use them a fair bit, never set up a credit account. I think once you register as customer you can always take the card option but I don't remember the whole set up..sorry..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sibersha wrote: »
    Great value, thanks.

On the page where it asks you to set up your account just underneath it has an option to pay with credit/debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

gomara wrote: »
    Just a word of caution after some personal experience with slow cookers after a friend (who has 2 of them) recommended I buy. It went into the attic after one week, for the following reasons. Yes it does produce very tender mest, especially if using tougher joints, but it overcooks everything else. Any vegetables or potatoes added basically becomes an unappetising mush. A Thai curry, totally dependent on the freshness of the other ingredients was dreadful. As it cooks so slowly there is almost no reduction of liquid, which is an important part in imparting taste to a dish. So, as an enthusiastic amateur chef, there may be dishes that suit this, but I see it as a timesaving device, lazy cooking really. Just my 2c worth!

This is not wrong, but you are just expecting something that it isnt! The slow cooker is unbelievable for stews, pulled pork, chilis and pretty much anything that you cook long and slow. For stews, I had best results by having the sauce thicker before cooking (beure manie works) and then you have a delicious stew after 6/7 hours. One thing thats a major success is a whole chicken. Only recently tried it, but you prep the chicken, the way you normally do, whack it on low for 6 hours. Then blast it in a really hot oven for 15 minutes to get the skin right. major result or perfectly moist chicken thats a complete fail safe. Its a marvellous device, I'm not sure I could do without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FlamingMoe

What would the energy usage of this be like?

In comparison to a regular oven or a halogen for instance?

Anyone know the wattage rating? Doesnt say anywhere online that I can find

Advertisement