Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker €20 Littlewoods - Free delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

One day, I'll try it as a sous vide cooker, must see what the constant water temperature would be at low/high. Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I've seen some recipes where people put potatoes in it along with lamb etc, anyone try that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

just bought one - thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 64,960 ✭✭✭✭unkel

FlamingMoe wrote: »
    What would the energy usage of this be like?

In comparison to a regular oven or a halogen for instance?

Anyone know the wattage rating? Doesnt say anywhere online that I can find

Energy usage is tiny compared to conventional oven. Oven is about 3kW, the max output of the slow cooker is more like in the range of 150W (iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've seen some recipes where people put potatoes in it along with lamb etc, anyone try that?

Yes, we throw everything in, slow cookers cook meat quicker than veg so you need to put the veg at the bottom where they will cook better and all meats on top, think they call it layered cooking

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ordered mine Wednesday and it arrived Friday. Was sent 2 but only charge for one. Already made pulled pork with it and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Did our first dinner in it today.
    Chicken(finished by roasting in oven for 20 mins) and it was delicious. Fell of the bone.
    Really looking forward to getting the most out of this.
    Thanks OP

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How long did you give the chicken in it and what size was it, i.e., 1500,1700 or 2000g, I've been tempted to try doing a chicken in our one for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Think we need some pictures guys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Aquos76 wrote: »
    How long did you give the chicken in it and what size was it, i.e., 1500,1700 or 2000g, I've been tempted to try doing a chicken in our one for a while now.

Left it over night, maybe 10 hours on low. To be honest, it didn't need anything like that length of time, but we're just experimenting with it. I'd say 6-7 would be loads. Chicken was1800g I think.

This was our first dish and we're so looking forward to messing around with it. Had a look at some of the recipes over in the food forum and the pulled pork will be done for sure this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I got a 6.5l one for €20 in Aldi recently, for anyone sitting on the fence about these, get one. They're great!

edit: talking bout getting one for mother in law, this could be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

This is not wrong, but you are just expecting something that it isnt! The slow cooker is unbelievable for stews, pulled pork, chilis and pretty much anything that you cook long and slow. For stews, I had best results by having the sauce thicker before cooking (beure manie works) and then you have a delicious stew after 6/7 hours. One thing thats a major success is a whole chicken. Only recently tried it, but you prep the chicken, the way you normally do, whack it on low for 6 hours. Then blast it in a really hot oven for 15 minutes to get the skin right. major result or perfectly moist chicken thats a complete fail safe. Its a marvellous device, I'm not sure I could do without it.

I have made chicken numerous times and its turned out nice and falls off the bone. However I find that whole chicken falls apart when intake it out of the dish. Do you leave it in dish when you put it in oven? Wasn't sure if my dish was ovenproof so didn't want to risk it. Otherwise its all a mess.

Just saw some bull**** email about account verification. Any way around this since I don't want to buy on credit anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Just saw some bull**** email about account verification. Any way around this since I don't want to buy on credit anyway?

When going to purchase, add item to basket, then go to checkout.
    The next page should have some green ticks on it about a credit account, down the bottom of the page there is an option to pay for goods now instead of credit.

sibersha wrote: »
    When going to purchase, add item to basket, then go to checkout.
    The next page should have some green ticks on it about a credit account, down the bottom of the page there is an option to pay for goods now instead of credit.
    Thanks, look like I'll be trying to get a refund for what I already paid into my account. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Got mine few days ago. Are the lids supposed to be sealed on these? Because this one doesn't seem to be. Lid is just left on top

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Lids just sit on top. They are not meant to be sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Any recommended recipe websites? I am just wondering is this worth investing in....

Reddit.com/r/crockpot (that's what the yanks call them) is a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Got one of these. Arrived friday, already made chilli on Saturday, soup for lunch overnight on saturday night and butter chicken for Sundays dinner. brilliant yolks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

oinkely wrote: »
    Got one of these. Arrived friday, already made chilli on Saturday, soup for lunch overnight on saturday night and butter chicken for Sundays dinner. brilliant yolks.

i have chili con carne on since before work, will be ready when i get home this evening. so handy !

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭andydurnin

any recipes for chili con carne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i just use

1kg of lean mince, browned
    2 400g tins chopped tomatos
    3 400g tins kidney beans
    1 half pint of passata
    2 onions
    2 green peppers
    1.5 table spoons chili power
    1 table spoon paprika
    half table spoon cumin
    salt and pepper , add more later to season

combine and put on medium heat for 7 hours, or 5 hour for high, 9 hours for low heat.

I also add peas and carrots, as I like to eat it without rice, so use these to bulk it up, but that's not for everyone ! It turns out nice, and enough for 3 days eating, and 4 further frozen dinners !!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

2smiggy wrote: »
    i just use

1kg of lean mince, browned
    2 400g tins chopped tomatos
    3 400g tins kidney beans
    1 half pint of passata
    2 onions
    2 green peppers
    1.5 table spoons chili power
    1 table spoon paprika
    half table spoon cumin
    salt and pepper , add more later to season

combine and put on medium heat for 7 hours, or 5 hour for high, 9 hours for low heat.

I also add peas and carrots, as I like to eat it without rice, so use these to bulk it up, but that's not for everyone ! It turns out nice, and enough for 3 days eating, and 4 further frozen dinners !!

A dash of tabasco sauce goes nicely in there too. Sundried tomatoes also, any sort of beans, chick peas and sweetcorn - pretty much anything that might be in the cupboard at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

My first slow cooker, made pulled pork the other day and it turned out great. Simple enough appliance- I'd concur that you can't go wrong with this one.

frankled wrote: »
    My first slow cooker, made pulled pork the other day and it turned out great. Simple enough appliance- I'd concur that you can't go wrong with this one.
    What way did you do the pork? I find some of the recipes seem to suggest what appears to me to be a lot of liquid. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

What way did you do the pork? I find some of the recipes seem to suggest what appears to me to be a lot of liquid. :P

I used the recipe described here.

I used a pork shoulder- it turned out great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Leg of lamb in it right now.
    Will report back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Scariff

Made pulled pork twice using recipe from allrecipes site. Fling in ingredients - most taxing thing is peeling an onion! Easy peasy and absolutely delicious. If you only ever use slow cooker for this - well worth it at the price.!

Advertisement