Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

given the day that's in it (i.e. when it starts lashing just as you leave work and stops just as you get home) - disc brakes squealing in the wet. causes? solutions?
    it's mainly the front brake. for all the talk of disc brakes working equally well in wet and dry, there's a noticeable falloff in braking performance for me in the wet.

Sounds like your pads are contaminated.
    Most would say replacement but I've had good success with cleaning the pads with acetone after giving them a light sanding with 1000grit paper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you get the acetone? is nail polish remover enough, or do you need to get pure stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mickb

where do you get the acetone? is nail polish remover enough, or do you need to get pure stuff?

One option:

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/1-litre-pure-100-acetone/6432336

MiCk B. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Morning!

Will a 105 5800 Crankset work with a Sora 9 Speed Groupset? (Need shorter cranks, may upgrade the rest of the groupset over time).

Gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've been working on the old hard tail. Forks basically siezed on me on first single track in years. Managed to take them apart following a you tube video. Full of crap and the stanchions are all rusted. Is it worth sanding them down and then greasing them up to feck and seeing how they go? What's the worst that'll happen - just seize on me again?

They're suntour xcm, on a trek 4500 (which I got second hand from biking.ie years ago at this stage). I'll only be using it on the built trails of ballinastoe for the time being - skipped bump n grind and expressway over the weekend once I knew the forks were essentially stuck, but the rest have really been smoothed out since I was last there. N+1 is really looking like an MTB but is a weeks, possibly months away, after which the trek will become full on beater really (and I'll probably look for rigid forks at that stage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Morning!

Will a 105 5800 Crankset work with a Sora 9 Speed Groupset? (Need shorter cranks, may upgrade the rest of the groupset over time).

Gracias.

The cranks should bolt up to the Sora rings, I wouldn't use the 105 rings with the 9spd chain but other than that all should be well.

The cranks should bolt up to the Sora rings, I wouldn't use the 105 rings with the 9spd chain but other than that all should be well.

Cheers. So is the spacing the same on the chainset? My Front Derailleur wont be under or over traveling when shifting the chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Cheers. So is the spacing the same on the chainset? My Front Derailleur wont be under or over traveling when shifting the chain?

I'm far from expert level but to me you would need the BB to match the cranks and then the rings to match the chain and rear cassette.

The front mech to my mind would be fine, there's loads of adjustment in them

I'm far from expert level but to me you would need the BB to match the cranks and then the rings to match the chain and rear cassette.

The front mech to my mind would be fine, there's loads of adjustment in them

I'm planning on replacing the whole chainset as the cranks themselves aren't sold seperately to my knowledge. So I'd need a new bottom bracket too. My current set up is an FSA Vero (the rest is 9 speed Sora).
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Someone at work wants me to replace a tyre on an old mountain bike for them, both tyres on the bike say 26 X 10, not 26 X 1.95, not 26 X 2.25, its definitely 26 X 10. What does that mean? Can I just order a standard 26 X 1.95 and throw it on there do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If it's a 26" wheeled mountain bike, then any tyre with a 26 x n.nn size will fit. Note that a tyre size listed as 26 x (a fraction, rather than a decimal number) will be a different 26" size, such as 26 x 1⅜ (older 3-speed Raleighs and other British bikes)

Your measurement might be 26 x 1.0, which would be the narrowest width in the 26" ATB size.

What other numbers are on the tyres? - look for the ERTRO size: xx-559, where XX is the width in millimetres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My bike currently has an FSA Tempo crank, which uses a square taper BB. It also has Sora 9 speed derailleurs and shifters.

Now, from what I can gather, swapping a square taper BB for a hollowtech one is fairly straight forward, but can I use a 105 crank on there? does it matter that the crank is for an 11 speed cassette, but i have a 9 speed one?

My bike currently has an FSA Tempo crank, which uses a square taper BB. It also has Sora 9 speed derailleurs and shifters.

Now, from what I can gather, swapping a square taper BB for a hollowtech one is fairly straight forward, but can I use a 105 crank on there? does it matter that the crank is for an 11 speed cassette, but i have a 9 speed one?

I'm in an almost identical situation. My cranks are FSA Vero (with Sora derailleurs). Asked a bike mechanic yesterday if 105 cranks would work with the rest of the set up and he seemed to think it would. So I ordered some cranks. Now I need to buy a bottom bracket and figure out how to get the old cranks off (crank puller?).

I also quizzed him on the ability/logic of using an 11 speed chain on the proposed system but he seemed to think THAT wouldn't work. I've read somewhere else (possibly another thread here, or a link from a thread here) that 11 speed chains can be used on 10 and 9 speed groupsets, and are in fact a good idea as they are manufactured to better tolerances. However, that mechanic I spoke to yesterday disputed this based on his own experiences of same.

BTW - If you have strava premium, you can get the 105 cranks for £69ish using you annual unique £15 off wiggle code.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Not that I'll be recording any phenomenal numbers on it but I have a notion that I want to get a power meter(probably will wait until I stumble across somebody getting rid of a second hand one), the crankset I currently have is FC-RS500 Crank 50/34 172,5mm.

Besides aesthetics, is there any reason I couldn't get a 4iiii or stages on a 105 left side crankset and use it to replace the left crank I already have.
    e.g. would a difference in weight or maybe shape/angle between left and right cranks cause a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Query re road bike tyres.
    Anyone any experience of roadbike tyres cracking heavily at only a few weeks old?
    I bought some cheap tyres in halfords and pretty much immediately cracked, they looked like they were 10 years old with the cracking that was on them.
    I took wheel and tyre into halfords to show them and didn't get a good response from them. All the guy said was that they looked like they had been left outside or flat for a prolonged period. Neither of which occurred.
    Are the cheaper end of things known for this or are any particular brands known for this?
    Is it a case of - buy cheap, buy twice or is it possible these were very old stock or something like that?

mickdw wrote: »
    Query re road bike tyres.
    Anyone any experience of roadbike tyres cracking heavily at only a few weeks old?
    I bought some cheap tyres in halfords and pretty much immediately cracked, they looked like they were 10 years old with the cracking that was on them.
    I took wheel and tyre into halfords to show them and didn't get a good response from them. All the guy said was that they looked like they had been left outside or flat for a prolonged period. Neither of which occurred.
    Are the cheaper end of things known for this or are any particular brands known for this?
    Is it a case of - buy cheap, buy twice or is it possible these were very old stock or something like that?

Do you have any way of proving when you bought them? Either way, under consumer law, they may not be "fit for the purpose intended", so if you're sure that they're too new to be cracked, then push it further (there may be a batch number stamped inside the tyres, which would give the manufacturer an idea of when they were made).

UV in sunlight does degrade rubber, but it usually takes a few years. Over the years, I've seen cracking occur earlier than expected (in both car and bike tyres), but it seems to me that it's a "bad batch of rubber" thing when it happens, rather than a cheap vs. expensive thing.

Cracking on bike tyres isn't a critical issue, BTW, unless it's very severe (serious enough to expose the nylon plies, and allow them to get damaged), or you're using the tyres' grip to their limit (the rubber gets harder, so grip is a bit reduced).
    Cracking on car tyres is a serious thing though - rainwater and especially salty water from winter roads, can get into the steel plies and rust it out, leading to catastrophic failure when the forces are at their greatest (motorway speeds :eek:).

I'm new to cycling and was surprised to see the cracking and thought maybe it is somehow more expected on bike tyres versus car tyres.
    These are significantly cracked. The side wall is cracked similar to what you would see in a 10 year old car tyre and the running surface has wide cracks where I can see the nylon threads through.

...These are significantly cracked. The side wall is cracked similar to what you would see in a 10 year old car tyre and the running surface has wide cracks where I can see the nylon threads through.

Wow, if these are a few weeks old (to you), they must have been hanging in the window for ages - can you take a photo or two?

I will take photos in the morning.

These went like this after about 6 weeks. They are maybe 3 or 4 months old now in total.

2hyi2rs.jpg

108eafa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're fit for nothing but the bin i reckon.
    i had ten year old tyres on a bike which look brand new compared to those. definite refund time, if you have the receipt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Above: I'd be going back to the shop.

As for me, have a new crank to install on a bike. I could just swap the chainrings from one to the other without removing the crank if I really wanted, but think I'll just go whole hog.

However, neglected to order any grease of any sort. Any recommendations for some that I could pick up locally in Dublin, better yet a Halfords as I'll be passing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Halfords should at least have their 'Bike Hut' brand anyway

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Halfords should at least have their 'Bike Hut' brand anyway

Yeah, the should. I have no idea what is I'm supposed to pick up. Far too long getting other people to fix my bikes

These went like this after about 6 weeks. They are maybe 3 or 4 months old now in total.

(Pics of madly perished tyres).

I'd definitely follow up on them, out of principle - if they were purchased that recently, then they are either the worst batch of rubber ever, or they were sitting in the sun for months (years?) before being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Any tips on removing a stuck freewheel? I've tried a bar on the wrench that's on the tool, but I'm beginning to round the tool rather than get any movement!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any tips on removing a stuck freewheel? I've tried a bar on the wrench that's on the tool, but I'm beginning to round the tool rather than get any movement!

Clamp the tool in a bench-vice tightly and jerk the wheel, rather than steadily pulling hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Question for a road bike maintenance guru. I know it's not easy to diagnose without actually seeing it, but any suggestions would be welcome...

I have a strange issue where the chain isn't properly shifting at the front. It only happens when I go from the big chainring to the small one (10 speed double). Instead of catching the small chainring, the chain seems to 'sit' on top of the teeth on the small chainring before engaging a few seconds later.

When I'm on the bike what happens is that the pedals spin for a short while before engaging.

I thought this was all down to the front derailer, so I replaced it. I have a brand new one, and I've installed it pretty good. The shifting is clean and crisp from small to big, and also from big to small - with the exception that I'm still getting that weird spinning thing.

Ever come across this before?

All 105 components btw. And the chainrings themselves don't look overly worn - I replaced them earlier this year.

Any help appreciated!

Open the L limit screw on the front derailleur about ⅓ to ½ of a turn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Question for a road bike maintenance guru. I know it's not easy to diagnose without actually seeing it, but any suggestions would be welcome...

I have a strange issue where the chain isn't properly shifting at the front. It only happens when I go from the big chainring to the small one (10 speed double). Instead of catching the small chainring, the chain seems to 'sit' on top of the teeth on the small chainring before engaging a few seconds later.

When I'm on the bike what happens is that the pedals spin for a short while before engaging.

I thought this was all down to the front derailer, so I replaced it. I have a brand new one, and I've installed it pretty good. The shifting is clean and crisp from small to big, and also from big to small - with the exception that I'm still getting that weird spinning thing.

Ever come across this before?

All 105 components btw. And the chainrings themselves don't look overly worn - I replaced them earlier this year.

Any help appreciated!

Maybe I have it wrong, but are you saying that the rollers of the chain aren't engaging between the teeth of the chainring? If so could it be a stretched/incorrect chain?

Although, as stated above, it might be that the FD is either preventing the chain from moving in enough or maybe moving in too much - enough to cause your issue but not enough to drop the chain.

Advertisement