Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Yeah the hub design doesn’t inspire any confidence. Even when fully reassembled properly, nothing tightens or clicks into place to tell you it’s done properly and ready to go.

But it has done away with the pawls and springs of the old design.

Probably a cost saving for Mavic at the end of the the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Precisely - I didn't know it was a thing until the freehub fell off, that's after having had the rear wheel out several times previously to put in the boot. They're set up tubeless so if I ever DO end up with a puncture on a crappy winters night I have several paths to ending up a blubbering wreck at the side of the road 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Right, obvious whatever of the day. Fiercely annoyed. Cleaning the bike and found this crack near the derailleur hanger. It's on the inside of the chainstay & touches into the weld for the seat stay. Is there any chance of repair or is the frame fcuked? 😡

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm no expert, but that's a good straight line - is that where the chainstay may be bonded to to a separate dropout piece?

If only. Its at the end of the chainstay itself & the line then runs through the weld for the dropout attachment. I guess my question is can a weld be done on it & who is capable of doing it?

I'd presume it might also explain my recent shifting issues!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alu frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

if it was, there would be corresponding line on the seat stay?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is there any give in it?

Yeah, doesn't take much effort to move it, clean break by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

There'd be a fair load potentially going through that, and alloy frames aren't noted for their weldability. I don't think I'd personally be overly happy with that under me, though I'm open to correction

what make/model is it?

It's a GT grade c.2015. As jmcl says above I'd be quite wary even if repaired (I think). I asked in one shop in Santry for opinion, & apart from trying to sell me a new bike, were of the opinion that its to be scrapped.

Will have to start scouring for a new frame at the very least!

I wonder if that's the one I don't go to anymore. Wouldn't surprise me that they'd try a hard sell on a new bike, if it is. Was it a kiwi lad you were taking to?

You might be able to get a secondhand frame if you're (very) lucky?

😂

One of the other ones, they're always at it.

Not looking forward to the hunt, cheers.

I've a madcap idea.

I have a trek fx2 hybrid, frame a little heavier but no biggie.

Would it be possible/recommend to strip all components from both units and put everything on to the trek, frankenstein it a bit. I understand geometry will be a bit different, but willing to chance it.

?

It is weldable but it won't be as strong with just a weld. Might weld across it, it will be ugly but stronger. Problem you'll have is no bike shop will do that, you'll have to look for a fabrication place that is small and won't ask questions. It will be cash in hand with no warranty. I'd do it but I'm a cheap skate, more sensible people would tell you just to buy a frame and transfer stuff across.

Yeah cheers, its not worth the hassle or potential of possibly making it more dangerous. I'll do the switcheroo and look at options in the coming months. At least it's this time of year when I'll be on the roads less

it's probably possible, but it'd be a bit weird cycling a hybrid geometry bike with drop bars.

you may not be able to transfer the crankset across though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What size frame is it. There's a free frame going in the adverts section

• Advertisement

Nice find & thanks alot. Unfortunately not suitable 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

In case it happens to anyone else I figured out why the ratchet/freewheel was sticking I'd put it back together in the wrong order with the damping rubber on the same side as the spring. It's fine like this and spins normally until tightened into the frame it just locks up and won't freewheel I eventually noticed the mistake while watching a video on how to service the hub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

What are people's thoughts on chain replacement, I have seen recommendations online that chains should be replaced when there is 1% stretch (ie 12 links measuring 12 and one eight of an inch) others say that when there is only 0.5% stretch (ie 12 links measuring 12 and one sixteenth of an inch). My current chain is running fine, no clacking no skipping, but I have new hub and cassette installed so don't want to run the risk of the cassette being damaged by a chain that is too stretched. There is approximately 0.6% stretch on the chain currently so was hoping to get another few months out of it.

Bike is standard 21 speed Carrera Crossfire hybrid, nothing particularly fancy or high tech.

i usually wait till mine gets to about 0.75%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Have an issue when I take my rear disc wheel off to use my Tacx Neo. When I replace the wheel the disc is rubbing. The 1st time it happened I thought I might have tipped the brake lever when I was on Zwift, but it's happened again.

SRAM Rival Axs 12 speed groupset. If anyone has any ideas........

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I replaced my chain at .75%...that's the smaller measurement on my chain tool :)

Simplest guess is you did tip the brakes. A large flathead screwdriver wedged in there and press the pads/pistons back should sort it. The other option is that the brakes are slightly misaligned but only barely. Loosen the attachment bolts, squeeze the brakes with the wheel in place and retighten the bolts. Only takes about 2 minutes to do. Sometimes they just move slightly, I had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What frame is it?

I found a crack in a canyon frame I had. It was about a month shy of 5 years old which is their warranty life and they replaced it FOC.

Mundo mentioned it's an approx 7 year old GT bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sram brakes ship with a shim that you slot in there when there's no disc.

Advertisement