Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

realised today that my disc brakes were contaminated - bit of a squeal and performance was noticeably off.
    so i've just sanded the discs for the first time. i'm used to sanding the pads occasionally, but the circular light score marks on the discs were showing a slight darkness to them, which i guess was the contamination. anyway, a wet sand with 320 grit paper, using degreaser as a lubricating agent seems to have helped - even when wet, they seem to be grippier than they were earlier in the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

guys im looking at a set of carbon race wheels but they are tubular. I am a bit old school and only used to clinchers. Ive read a bit that these are a nightmare to change but have its advantages in terms of speed etc. If I was to get a flat mid race would I be goosed? Obviously with clinchers just carrying a tube is easy in the saddle bag, should I avoid these or suck it up and go for it as the advantage of a tubular being worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    guys im looking at a set of carbon race wheels but they are tubular. I am a bit old school and only used to clinchers. Ive read a bit that these are a nightmare to change but have its advantages in terms of speed etc. If I was to get a flat mid race would I be goosed? Obviously with clinchers just carrying a tube is easy in the saddle bag, should I avoid these or suck it up and go for it as the advantage of a tubular being worth it?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057835490

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Fitted new brake pads to my good bike today. It’s not been used for a few months and sat in the shed.
    The freehub doesn’t run smoothly now, so I obviously didn’t clean it too well after the last time I used it.
    I removed the wheel and the hub seemed normal, but with it back on the bike, it doesn’t run if I back pedal. Is there much to cleaning and lubricating this? Not messed with one before.
    Wheel is a DT Swiss R23 spline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fitted new brake pads to my good bike today. It’s not been used for a few months and sat in the shed.
    The freehub doesn’t run smoothly now, so I obviously didn’t clean it too well after the last time I used it.
    I removed the wheel and the hub seemed normal, but with it back on the bike, it doesn’t run if I back pedal. Is there much to cleaning and lubricating this? Not messed with one before.
    Wheel is a DT Swiss R23 spline

Go for a spin on the bike...I'd say it'll free itself. If not, do you have a chain whip and a cassette lock nut tool? (You'll need these to remove the cassette)

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Go for a spin on the bike...I'd say it'll free itself. If not, do you have a chain whip and a cassette lock nut tool? (You'll need these to remove the cassette)

I did ride it around the garden a bit and it got slightly better, but not great. I'll have another look at it today and see what I can find. With the wheel off, the hub seemed ok but I'll remove the cassette for a better look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The bottle cage bolts are rattling like mad on my down tube, 2013 trek madone 2.1. I think the encapsulated bolt is loose and shaking in the frame, anything I can do? Whenever I put a bottle in the cage it rattles like mad and is very annoying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The bottle cage bolts are rattling like mad on my down tube, 2013 trek madone 2.1. I think the encapsulated bolt is loose and shaking in the frame, anything I can do? Whenever I put a bottle in the cage it rattles like mad and is very annoying.

Unscrew the bolt and then get a nut about a size bigger and place it over the hole. If the bolt you have is long enough, thread it through again. The nut acts like a brace to stop it spinning and it should pull the other end of the thread back against the frame and tighten it up. Same happened to mine a year ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would a washer do a similar job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

CramCycle wrote: »
    Unscrew the bolt and then get a nut about a size bigger and place it over the hole. If the bolt you have is long enough, thread it through again. The nut acts like a brace to stop it spinning and it should pull the other end of the thread back against the frame and tighten it up. Same happened to mine a year ago.

I'll give it a go thanks, I believe the issue is caused by using stiff bottle cages from what I've read, I've carbon cages on mine the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

would a washer do a similar job?

The idea of the nut is you can hold it with a spanner to stop it spinning as the plating above the surface of the frame will spin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bottle cage bolts are actually rivet nuts (also known by a trademark name, Rivnut) - have a look at them on Google images to understand more about how they work, and how you can re-set them if they've become loose.

Tip: Grease the bottle cage bolts before you fit them (and remove them and do it if now you didn't do it before) - Rivnuts are often made from aluminium, and when road-spray gets into the threads, the steel (or even alloy) bolt & the rivnut sieze together and then the rivnut spins when you try to open the bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Has anyone paired etap levers with 105 brakes? Wondering if the performance is horrendous or if they'll work the same as when mated to 105 levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I've paired etap levers with a set of shimano brakes, can't remember what model but definitely below Ultegra, came from my box of parts. They are grand, as good as the brakes ever were. Left it in for some work once and asked about using shimano brakes with the etap, said there is no issue, I had read about a different pull ratio (not related to the gears) but shop said there would be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Type 17 wrote: »
    Bottle cage bolts are actually rivet nuts (also known by a trademark name, Rivnut) - have a look at them on Google images to understand more about how they work, and how you can re-set them if they've become loose.

Tip: Grease the bottle cage bolts before you fit them (and remove them and do it if now you didn't do it before) - Rivnuts are often made from aluminium, and when road-spray gets into the threads, the steel (or even alloy) bolt & the rivnut sieze together and then the rivnut spins when you try to open the bolt.

I put a cage on my new bike, it wound itself loose and fell off. I'd normally put copper grease on the nuts but I'll be putting a bit of threadlock on these now

realised today that my disc brakes were contaminated - bit of a squeal and performance was noticeably off.
    so i've just sanded the discs for the first time. i'm used to sanding the pads occasionally, but the circular light score marks on the discs were showing a slight darkness to them, which i guess was the contamination. anyway, a wet sand with 320 grit paper, using degreaser as a lubricating agent seems to have helped - even when wet, they seem to be grippier than they were earlier in the dry.
    well, my brakes now appear to be better than they ever were (i bought the bike with about 2k on the clock, so didn't get to experience what the brakes were like when new).

Further to my hub problem... took off the chain for a thorough degrease and degreaser all the crank and jockey wheels as everything was gunked up. Removed cassette and cleaned it. Couldn’t see any way to open the freehub but it ran freely so decided to leave it. Put it all back together and freehub was grand before wheel fitted. Fitted wheel and it didn’t really like going in either direction. Sprayed the whole cassette/hub with cleaner and then left to dry out. Lubed it all and refitted the chain. Initially it was not great, but now it feels as good as new.
    Not going to think about it anymore, will just clean it better before I lay it up for next winter!

I put a cage on my new bike, it wound itself loose and fell off. I'd normally put copper grease on the nuts but I'll be putting a bit of threadlock on these now

If you use thread lock with rivnuts, you're guaranteed to have trouble when the time comes to remove them.

It's a common misconception that greased threads come loose - it's not friction in the threads that keeps fasteners tight, it's either the stretching of the bolt, or the compression of the item being held by the fastener (bottle cage in this case).

In general, some lubricant helps to avoid threads getting worn, and enables bolts to be tightened with less effort. (More of the torque applied is converted to stretch, rather than being used to overcome friction.) If torque settings are important (carbon frames, etc), then either avoid lubricating the threads or, if conditions mean seizing is likely, use lubricant/anti-seize and a lower torque setting (~30% less).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are Sram 1170 chains okay to run on Shimano 11 speed blocks? I assumed they are but just seeking confirmation before I buy a few new bits.

dahat wrote: »
    Are Sram 1170 chains okay to run on Shimano 11 speed blocks? I assumed they are but just seeking confirmation before I buy a few new bits.

I'm using SRAM 1130 on my Shimano 11-28 without issue. I have heard some say they are not as smooth shifting but I can't notice a difference. So I am going to say yes, your fine.

• Advertisement

I've fitted 6/7/8/9/10 speed sizes of both SRAM and Shimano chains to both SRAM and Shimano cassettes without any issues.

Thinking it over, I can't actually say that I've fitted a SRAM 11-speed to a Shimano cassette, but I doubt you'll have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thanks folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Working on my plans for the second hand cyclocross bike I got over the winter. Going to be dual purpose, commuter and gravel/ cross.

It's caliper braked, and rims that came with it are fairly worn, but will do for commuting for the moment, but I want the the ability to just swap out when I want to go off road. Are cross specific wheels needed, or would road wheels do?

I'm thinking of moving the Giant PR2's off the good bike over, and going for upgrade on that? I haven't have the best experiences with Giant hubs, but have found them otherwise bullet proof - had a couple of broken spokes mid reservoir dog going up Glenmacnass and the stayed true to get me back to Russborough from there!

A few decades ago, I tried having two sets of wheels for my ATB, so I could have road-slicks or ATB-knobbies at the the flick of a skewer or two.

The issue I ran into was that the rims that I had to hand were of different widths, so the brake pads did not line up with one or other of the wheel-sets. A bike with disc brakes would be ideal in this scenario, but having rims of the same width would be essential if not.

Other compatibility issues might include axle widths, cassette wear, cassette/derailleur capacity, etc

Wouldn't be too knowledgeable about gear ratios and tyre kicking has begun for Miss Enfildaes bike to work thats due up again in a little while. Most we looked are standard compact but a few that have caught her eye have been 48/32 which is going to give you a lower highest and lowest gear than 50/34. Would there be a massive difference ? I'm assuming the gaps between gears would be less too on say a 9 speed 28/11 cassette and that the higher gears might get more use than on a 50/34 chainring?

Also in the event of wanting to change from a 48/32 to a compact what changes would need to be made to the front derailleur or other areas??

Kind of off topic for this thread but are 48/32 chainrings becoming more common? Used to only see them on Felt bikes I think in the last year or two.

48/32 is known as a sub compact, which gives you slightly easier gearing than a compact - easier to get up hills although slightly slower when you pedal flat out.
    If you ever did change to a compact then the front derailleur height would probably need to be adjusted as well as the cable tension, and maybe the limit screws. It may also need a different bottom bracket.
    If you don’t race and don’t love hills then a sub compact could be a good way to go

Typically, larger than average bike frames should have larger parts fitted - wider drop-bars, longer stems, longer cranks, bigger chain rings, etc and smaller than average frames should have smaller parts fitted. However many manufacturers don't bother*, and all frame sizes in their range come with 50/34t rings on 170mm cranks, for example.

With that in mind, it may be the case that Mrs Enfilade takes a smaller frame size, and that the bikes that come with the 48/32t are better spec'ed and thought out.

*There's also debate as to whether it makes enough difference to bother with, and people's individual tastes/skills/knowledge vary enough that the variations may not be needed, or noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I lost one screw and washer from a brand new Look Keo cleat out on a ride yesterday (didn't notice anything but shoe was a bit stuck in the pedal when I eventually went to dismount). Don't have any old cleats lying around - I can find them online but with postage you might as well buy new cleats.

Would these be the type of thing you might find in a hardware store? Or would a LBS ever have individual ones? Or anyone know a cheap place online to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I lost one screw and washer from a brand new Look Keo cleat out on a ride yesterday (didn't notice anything but shoe was a bit stuck in the pedal when I eventually went to dismount). Don't have any old cleats lying around - I can find them online but with postage you might as well buy new cleats.

Would these be the type of thing you might find in a hardware store? Or would a LBS ever have individual ones? Or anyone know a cheap place online to get them?

Had a similar problem with Shimano SPD-SL before, and was able to get a new screw and washer from Wheelworx workshop, they wouldn't take money for it either, so would imagine an LBS could sort you. Hardware shop might have it, but the square washers and wide topped bolts are a bit specific that they might not be within their "standard" range of fitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

cython wrote: »
    Had a similar problem with Shimano SPD-SL before, and was able to get a new screw and washer from Wheelworx workshop, they wouldn't take money for it either, so would imagine an LBS could sort you. Hardware shop might have it, but the square washers and wide topped bolts are a bit specific that they might not be within their "standard" range of fitments.
    Thanks, not around there but I'll give my LBS a try, will pick up some spares and cleaning stuff so hopefully they will throw it in

Advertisement