Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Done Quick 2017

Options
  • 07-01-2017 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

pb5w01Fl.jpg

I think there was a thread before to talk about GDQ but it's usually not good to resurrect such an old thread. So hopefully making a new one isn't a bad idea, feel free to delete if it if course.
    Hope someone other than me is getting excited.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wasn't there another speed running thing a few months ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Wasn't there another speed running thing a few months ago ?

There's 2 GDQ a year. You're probably thinking of Summer Games Done Quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You say that like its a bad thing that it was on a few months ago :pac:
    There's 2 GDQ a year. You're probably thinking of Summer Games Done Quick.
    Yup, back in July, I was over in London at a concert and meeting friends so I hardly saw any of it live. I just watched it on YouTube but it's not the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This has just started. The games kick off at 5 pm

I almost missed an evening of it.
    Edit: I was looking at completion time instead of the actual time, laughing so hard at myself :pac:
    Me.

Really looking forward to Silent Hill 4, hope it gets taken apart, the back tracking and end boss drove me mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some of these Ocarina of time warps are crazy

ShaneU wrote: »
    Some of these Ocarina of time warps are crazy
    The stuff with the menu is mad!

I usually get a Yetee tee, I'm loving the "Shape Up" / Yume Penguin Monogatari tee, it'll match my plushes!
    C1oJ00vXgAADhqi.jpg
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Borderlands 2 run was nuts. They finished at level 19, VERY underlevelled. The shotgun with infinite ammo and rapid fire was a nice trick and definitely helped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Always nice to have on in the background while it's on, I'll definitely be checking out the Doom 2016 speed run. Has it always been a week long?

• Advertisement

Always nice to have on in the background while it's on, I'll definitely be checking out the Doom 2016 speed run. Has it always been a week long?
    I think this is my 3rd year watching it and was always on for a week, usually TAS on a Saturday.
    I want to play Psychonauts myself so taking a break watching Prevs Rec playing XCom
    Mr E wrote: »
    The Borderlands 2 run was nuts. They finished at level 19, VERY underlevelled. The shotgun with infinite ammo and rapid fire was a nice trick and definitely helped. :)
    The only thing I know about Boarderlands are the characters but still really enjoyed the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I didn't realise this started already! I would've liked to have watched that Borderlands 2 run. I'll be trying to catch Fallout NV, Doom, Final Fantasy, and System Shock 2.

Notorious wrote: »
    I didn't realise this started already! I would've liked to have watched that Borderlands 2 run. I'll be trying to catch Fallout NV, Doom, Final Fantasy, and System Shock 2.
    Are you subbed to the YouTube channel? They usually go up there in a few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That shovel knight race was fantastic. Only about 3 seconds in it at the end.

Inbetween runs this always comes into my head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Great race there with shovel knight! 6 second difference in the end :eek:

5 grand donation from Ray Navarez was mental too :)

Notorious wrote: »
    I didn't realise this started already! I would've liked to have watched that Borderlands 2 run.
    It's up now, they have up to the Psychonauts run uploaded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Love this event. I only really get a chance to listen to it in the background in work but love catching up on the interesting runs when they are upped on youtube.
    Every speed runner should have to do running commentary on their runs. I find watching serious runs to be incredibly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think that would be a bit unfair, it's really hard to keep up the concentration in the 1+hr ones with the room of noise around you, the serious runs tend to be less forgiving too.

Excited for the Salt and Sanctuary one today, haven't heard of most of today's games so I'm just dropping in randomly to see what looks interesting.

BL2 was a fun run to watch, hated seeing them decimate some of the bosses I struggled so much with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Ah fair enough... someone else should do the running commentary :pac: Some of the tricks these guys (and gals) pull off are ridiculous. Far too quick to know what actually happened.
    I guess that's why i get a kick out of glitch videos.

I've caught bits of most of the runs since 9am. Worth watching are;
    Hitman: Blood Money - for the stupid in game physics.
    The Turing Test - I love watching puzzle games beaten quick.
    Kalimba - He played as two users at once, each user controls two characters most of the time so 4 characters. Amazing stuff. Loved this run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BL2 was a fun run to watch, hated seeing them decimate some of the bosses I struggled so much with :pac:

And people thought the Conference Call shotgun was overpowered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

d31b0y wrote: »
    I've caught bits of most of the runs since 9am. Worth watching are;
    Hitman: Blood Money - for the stupid in game physics.
    The Turing Test - I love watching puzzle games beaten quick.
    Kalimba - He played as two users at once, each user controls two characters most of the time so 4 characters. Amazing stuff. Loved this run.

Let's not forget the best AGDQ moment ever:

Why did you remind of me, too much cringe.

Enjoyed Congers Capers, used to play the rom as a kid but I didn't ever get that far, can't remember if I found it hard or was just lazy :pac:

He's such an unhappy Link

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Caught the Any% run for Salt and Sanctuary and it was a good laugh, the RNG kept fecking him over but he had a sense of humour about it.

Yeah he handled it very well considering the timescale involved, 10 minute run, 4 of which were getting screwed by RNG.

Any recommendations for tonight?

Yeah he handled it very well considering the timescale involved, 10 minute run, 4 of which were getting screwed by RNG.

Any recommendations for tonight?

Super Monkey Ball is always insane. Don't miss it. Pokémon is usually fun as well as long as the game is horribly broken.

The YouTube account has up to Hyper Princess Pitch now.
    I'm gonna watch Silent Hill 4 now and catch up on Super Monkey Ball later on in the week, I'd love to be able to play it like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Super Monkey Ball is just one long PogChamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

More Monkey Ball now :D

Advertisement