Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stay away from Toyota Corolla d4d diesel

Comments

Considering the main places I post here are the motoring forum, the farming forum and the boxing forum it didn't take a genius to work that one out. ;)

Having owned cars from 8 different marques (currently in a bmw) and never once blatantly criticised a specific marque on here I'd probably be more impartial than yourself.

However feel free to offer up any educated critique of what I said in my previous post though.

I had a Celica years ago for a good bit and the folks had a Corolla in days gone by.
    Your post isn't really remotely logical, as pointed out by colm the toyota stuff on Irish roads for the most part is not great. Nascar? FFS like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

road_high wrote: »
    That's all very well. But the Toyota offering in Ireland is what we are talking about which is pretty poor.
    Their core range of Auris, Corolla and Avensis are just not appealing cars and not as good as their class peers. No amount of Hybrid tech etc is going to change this.
    Actually the contrary with me, was always a big Toyota fan. We owned numerous models in our family. Want to like them but the current range makes that impossible.
    I would buy an Aygo, Land Cruiser or the new CHR as they're class competitive. The rest all have far better alternatives from other marques.
    Every second car you see on the road is one of these so they must be appealing to some people. Hybrids are also getting a lot more popular and tbh no other car maker is as good as toyota at doing hybrids.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Every second car you see on the road is one of these so they must be appealing to some people...........

Farmers who haven't migrated to Octavias, relatives of those farmers, rental companies and people who have always bought toyota Corollas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭9935452

Every second car you see on the road is one of these so they must be appealing to some people. Hybrids are also getting a lot more popular and tbh no other car maker is as good as toyota at doing hybrids.

Toyota have a 50% market share ?

9935452 wrote: »
    Toyota have a 50% market share ?

about 14% iirc :)
    the toyota lads are fierce passionate, facts & figures get lost in the emotion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Just because people buy the things doesn't mean they're any good. There's a lot to be said for a brand, and to be fair Toyota have a strong brand.

They have been crucified in Ireland over the last few years with their cars being nowhere near the quality of days gone by, as well as people seeing sense and realising that the competitors offer more.

What's the warranty on a new Toyota these days, I think it's 3 years? I think that says it all when the competitors are offering double that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Augeo wrote: »
    I had a Celica years ago for a good bit and the folks had a Corolla in days gone by.
    Your post isn't really remotely logical, as pointed out by colm the toyota stuff on Irish roads for the most part is not great. Nascar? FFS like.

Circa 2000 I loved what Toyota sold here...the MR2 and Celica were great...I think that model Celica still looks great. Seemed to see a fair few here too as they were very common until recently. Shame they never continued. The GT model is nice but too expensive.

166man wrote: »
    Just because people buy the things doesn't mean they're any good. There's a lot to be said for a brand, and to be fair Toyota have a strong brand.

They have been crucified in Ireland over the last few years with their cars being nowhere near the quality of days gone by, as well as people seeing sense and realising that the competitors offer more.

What's the warranty on a new Toyota these days, I think it's 3 years? I think that says it all when the competitors are offering double that. ;)

Renault offer 5...! Several blue chip Toyota dealers such as Kearys and Linders left the marque and now sell Renaults...why is this?

Farmers who haven't migrated to Octavias, relatives of those farmers, rental companies and people who have always bought toyota Corollas

Indeed...same with the Avensis...many switched to better alternatives like the Passat. It was once a mainstay of the rural Irish motoring set, not so anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Circa 2000 I loved what Toyota sold here...the MR2 and Celica were great...I think that model Celica still looks great. Seemed to see a fair few here too as they were very common until recently. Shame they never continued. The GT model is nice but too expensive.

The thing is, they didn't really sell MR2s or Celicas. They were available, but nobody bought them. Toyota has always been dull with a few fun models thrown in. The GT86 is about as relevant today as the Celica was back then, in terms of actual new car sales.

The golden age of Carina Es and Corolla e100's that were indestructible were still criticised st the time for being poorly equipped and dull.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The thing is, they didn't really sell MR2s or Celicas. They were available, but nobody bought them. Toyota has always been dull with a few fun models thrown in. The GT86 is about as relevant today as the Celica was back then, in terms of actual new car sales.

The golden age of Carina Es and Corolla e100's that were indestructible were still criticised st the time for being poorly equipped and dull.

I dunno I used to see plenty of Celicas around? Perhaps a lot of them were Jap imports. The 99/00 model is very clear in my conscience, especially in silver!

Uk and Japanese imports mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,598 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are right about the "golden age".
    Now they are still poorly equipped and dull but sadly no longer indestructible.
    The accountants now hold sway they are built down to a price not up to a standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Renault offer 5...! Several blue chip Toyota dealers such as Kearys and Linders left the marque and now sell Renaults...why is this?

Simple - way more margin and workshop profit to be made with Renault ! And to be fair the range has a model to suit everybody ! The dealer rebate is good and distributor offers are aggressively competitive.

I spent 10 years selling Renault...now selling Toyota.

elperello wrote: »
    You are right about the "golden age".
    Now they are still poorly equipped and dull but sadly no longer indestructible.
    The accountants now hold sway they are built down to a price not up to a standard.

What problems do they give though? I mean if you look at a the latest 1.33 corolla, it's just as reliable as it's late 90's equivalent. The same goes for the diesel version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Well the thread started about a gearbox issue. Then moved to a discussion on the Toyota corporation hence my posts relating to the global toyota brand. Now the goalposts have been moved to Toyota Ireland.

Base spec rudimentary vehicles are the staple vehicle for many types of professions be they farmer cars (a thing of the past now due to towing regs but fire ahead with the stereo types) or garda cars etc. It's all well and good on about competitors but it generally takes 3-5 years for reliability issues to crop up.

Take the clutch/flywheel debacle Hyundai i40 and Kia optima experienced in 2010-2013 they were supposed to be the nail in the avensis' coffin but in reality many owners were badly stung particularly in the case of state owned vehicles (many gardai tend not to praise the i40 too highly) where as the avensis as it has always done kept plugging away. Now in the 2016/17 era the sound bite is everyone's got their act together but in reality it's too soon to tell. The law of averages says there will be a few more chronic reliability issues for various marques time will tell what these will be. It took a few years for the bmw timing chain, vw oil pumps or gm gearbox issues to show face. Who knows maybe Toyota won't be able to sort the n47 timing chain issue either that could well be one of the future tales of woe.

Toyota is in a unique position as they hold a market share at the bottom end of the market and at the executive end. Lexus ireland is Toyota's upper end of the Irish market where a number of very high-end models are available to the Irish public quite a few other marques offer little to nothing in this upper end of the market.

But look everyone's entitled to their opinion. I drive and appreciate all sorts of cars so I try to look at things objectively, some on here would slit they're wrists before they'd praise a marque they have a particular aversion to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

I currently have the same issue here with my 2011 auris with the fault developing at 98000 kms. Car currently will go up through the gears but won't return from 5 down to fourth. From my buddies in the trade the general parts aren't expensive to rectify the current issue but this fix will not guarantee future reliability as the issue can manifest itself on another gear set selection.

This will require the removal of the box again (which is relatively straightforward)and fix of which can be a reoccurring fault. This fault mainly occurs with the 6 six speed but the later fitted 5 speed also suffers the same issues to a lesser extent.

The general consensus is that a reconditioned box is the best option. While this is an unwanted expense it is a lot cheaper in comparison to some of the issues currently being experienced by my vag driving buddies with egr valve,injector and turbo replacements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'm getting rid of my 07 d4d Corolla before the end of the year.

I'm going to just get a new Car maybe a Hyundai or VW diesel and change it every 3 year's

Just let the payments roll over,no NCT cheaper tax and insurance more miles per gallon and a good gurantee.

Tired of changing brake pads, gearbox problems, alternator changed twice, worn brake discs, they're also very delicate with the balancing.

Thing likes to roll over to the right, Toyota will say it's the concave of the road lol

You'd get an awful lot of gearboxes and ncts for what you'll pay out per month on finance.

Isn't your tax only €385 a year at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Excorrolla wrote: »
    Hey folks just to warn people about 2011 Toyota Corolla diesel d4d. They have a problem once you go above 130000k where some gears can no longer be engaged. To fix the issue the gearbox needs to be removed which is going to cost you north of 1000 euros..Toyota customer support will not admit a fault and you are left to carry the cost. They will use excuse car is out of warranty ..note newer models may be affected also as Toyota seem to be in denial problem exists...be warned...ask around some independent garages and you will find this is becoming a known problem.. any prospective buyer of Corolla take note and stay away
    I've owned 2 diesel cars in my lifetime none toyota's, never again, petrol all the way :) I've a mazda 6 since 08 1.8 petrol 260k and still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What problems do they give though? I mean if you look at a the latest 1.33 corolla, it's just as reliable as it's late 90's equivalent. The same goes for the diesel version.

How can a ''latest model'' be proved as being as reliable as something from 20 odd years ago?

Honestly, you can't help but wonder...:eek:

The 1.33 dual vvti's engine/transmission is around since 2009 to be fair.

166man wrote: »
    How can a ''latest model'' be proved as being as reliable as something from 20 odd years ago?

Honestly, you can't help but wonder...:eek:

It's the latest small cc n/a corolla/auris engine and it's been around since 2010 without any fuss whatsoever so it's well on the way.

I'm getting rid of my 07 d4d Corolla before the end of the year.

I'm going to just get a new Car maybe a Hyundai or VW diesel and change it every 3 year's

Just let the payments roll over,no NCT cheaper tax and insurance more miles per gallon and a good gurantee.

Tired of changing brake pads, gearbox problems, alternator changed twice, worn brake discs, they're also very delicate with the balancing.

Thing likes to roll over to the right, Toyota will say it's the concave of the road lol

To be fair to Toyota, most of what you listed is normal wear and tear service items...and it's a ten year old car so bound to need stuff replacing. Just sounds like you want a newer car which is fine but it'll obviously cost to change up.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've owned 2 diesel cars in my lifetime none toyota's, never again, petrol all the way :) I've a mazda 6 since 08 1.8 petrol 260k and still going strong.

I agree. Petrol makes perfect sense for so many Irish motorists, shame the emmissions/VRT went against the larger ones. Though I think that's slowly coming around again.
    If I wasn't doing large mileage or commuting I'd definitely consider one. Or something like a Lexus hybrid.

colm_mcm wrote:
    You'd get an awful lot of gearboxes and ncts for what you'll pay out per month on finance.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Isn't your tax only €385 a year at the moment.

I know but I've 389,000 k up on my 07 and could afford a new car with payments.

I don't mind just paying and letting it roll over, because at the end of the day a car ends up a pile of rust.

And I'm not bothered if I own the car or not, it's just having a good car under my ass hassle free.

I've a mortgage and other outgoings, I live in the valleys of the Burren and work mostly in Galway city,so when I get a break down I'm up sht creek

Lost 4 day's A/L due to car problems last year and two years previous I was a week and a half without a car and handing over 570 euros for a reconditioned gear box wasn't nice.

When it's over ten years old that's when the problems with insurance start,a newer car is cheaper in the long-run I'll always have a car at least 1 to 3 year's old...

So you'd be doing 120k every 3 years on pcp?

I never thought of it like that.
    Maybe I ll have to rethink...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I agree. Petrol makes perfect sense for so many Irish motorists, shame the emmissions/VRT went against the larger ones. Though I think that's slowly coming around again.
    If I wasn't doing large mileage or commuting I'd definitely consider one. Or something like a Lexus hybrid.
    I do 25-30k/year with mine not low km's by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Augeo wrote:
    Surely you can see many Toyota products (Corolla and Avensis) are essentially cheap ole sh1t that make little sense to most new car buyers compared to the competition.

That's an absurd statement. Toyota's competitors in the medium/large car manufacturing sectors are making cheaper, more stylish and, arguably, better driving machines but hardly any more reliable. The fact is that manufacturing standards are nowadays so advanced that there are no longer any" bad " cars containing "cheap old ****" on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm very interested in this thread because Mrs Corm has one of these 2011 D4D Corollas.

However I'm unsure about why the OP says this is a cat to avoid because no amount of googling reaffirms what he says.

From my point of view I find the Corolla disappointing for a different set of reasons. For the money she paid for it, it was very basic, no alloys, no air con so Windows fogged up always, no electric widows in the back, problems with the central locking.

It's been a plain buy mostly overpriced dependable car. There have been a couple of recall letters which she has ignored of course, but I'd like a but more info than a one man opinion that says to stay away.

It's like the people on the forums for mobile phone networks. If you listened to them then you wouldn't have a mobile because there is at least one on the forum for every network saying to stay away for something that just affects them.

chicorytip wrote: »
    That's an absurd statement. Toyota's competitors in the medium/large car manufacturing sectors are making cheaper, more stylish and, arguably, better driving machines but hardly any more reliable. The fact is that manufacturing standards are nowadays so advanced that there are no longer any" bad " cars containing "cheap old ****" on the roads.

My point was what you have explained..you say the competitors are cheaper, more stylish, arguably better driving .....hardly more reliable.

A corolla & avensis are now IMO cheap ole sh1t not priced accordingly.

Not as stylish, doesn't drive as well, shorter warranty...... sh1t compared to the comp.

A new tipo is a great car compared to the current corolla :)

My point was what you have explained..you say the competitors are cheaper, more stylish, arguably better driving .....hardly more reliable.

A corolla & avensis are now IMO cheap ole sh1t not priced accordingly.

Not as stylish, doesn't drive as well, shorter warranty...... sh1t compared to the comp.

A new tipo is a great car compared to the current corolla :)

It is in it's ar$e. I've been in both cars. The tipo's build quality and the way it drives are way behind that of the corolla. I driven both. Maybe you should do.the same before spewing nonsense.

I'm very interested in this thread because Mrs Corm has one of these 2011 D4D Corollas.

However I'm unsure about why the OP says this is a cat to avoid because no amount of googling reaffirms what he says.

From my point of view I find the Corolla disappointing for a different set of reasons. For the money she paid for it, it was very basic, no alloys, no air con so Windows fogged up always, no electric widows in the back, problems with the central locking.

It's been a plain buy mostly overpriced dependable car. There have been a couple of recall letters which she has ignored of course, but I'd like a but more info than a one man opinion that says to stay away.

It's like the people on the forums for mobile phone networks. If you listened to them then you wouldn't have a mobile because there is at least one on the forum for every network saying to stay away for something that just affects them.

That's because she got the base spec terra model. A luna model has all of those features

It is in it's ar$e. I've been in both cars. The tipo's build quality and the way it drives are way behind that of the corolla. I driven both. Maybe you should do.the same before spewing nonsense.

You reckon corolla drives €4k + better?

Sure I could call all your Toyota love posts nonsense :)
    Built quality.... lol.... that ole drum.

Name one car in the class that you think is better than a current model corolla :) do likewise for the avensis.

Build quality is a funny one alright. In today's world it seems to mean the texture of plastics and how tight panel gaps are.
    It isn't really possible to judge the overall quality of a product as complex as a car by what you can see/feel.

It would be like saying a Makita jigsaw has poor build quality because it doesn't have a rubbery Buteline overmoulded body. Unless you take it apart and can tell what each part is made from, or are familar with the electronics side of it and can identify corner cutting or likely failure points, it isn't really possible to say something is poor quality.

Build quality is different. It seems to be a phrase coined by motoring journalists to describe something that feels cheap or to praise something German without backing it up with any actual knowledge on what makes a car good or bad quality.

That's because she got the base spec terra model. A luna model has all of those features

He specifically said for the money she paid for it, you didn't bold that piece.

Build quality is a funny one alright. In today's world it seems to mean the texture of plastics and how tight panel gaps are.

That add of the sales woman closing the door of a golf from about 5 years ago marked the start of that

You reckon corolla drives €4k + better?

Sure I could call all your Toyota love posts nonsense :)
    Built quality.... lol.... that ole drum.

Name one car in the class that you think is better than a current model corolla :) do likewise for the avensis.

The Corolla is worth the extra money. The fiat is very poor quality inside and that's not just the texture of the materials, the swithgear ia very flimsy and the gearchange isn't very good.

Im not saying the corolla is better than everything else like you seem to think I am. Most cars in this class is better than the tipo tbh. The corolla isn't nearly as bad as you say though in your childish rants.

• Advertisement

That add of the sales woman closing the door of a golf from about 5 years ago marked the start of that

It all kicked off in a big way when the b5 Passat came out around 96.
    To be fair it moved the game onwards in terms of interiors but I still despise the term 'build quality' in the context that it's often used.

The Corolla is worth the extra money. The fiat is very poor quality inside and that's not just the texture of the materials, the swithgear ia very flimsy and the gearchange isn't very good.

Im not saying the corolla is better than everything else like you seem to think I am. Most cars in this class is better than the tipo tbh. The corolla isn't nearly as bad as you say though in your childish rants.

Flimsy switchgear? I wouldn't agree but it's quite subjective. The gearchange isn't very good? I've only drive the 6 speed diesel Tipo, the gearchange did feel a tad slushy alright. Lacks the notchy precision of a corolla, truth be told. I'd struggle to tot up €4k ish of issues to be honest though.

so anyway, given the Corolla isn't better than everything else....

........... :)

I've already said in this topic that a 171 real deal 95bhp €21k Focus wipes the floor with a diesel Tipo so I'm not pro Fiat by any means, now the focus also does quite a job of bettering a Corolla too, I'm sure you'll agree :)

Auris/Prius :)

Auris/Prius :)

haha

at north of €30k a Prius would want to be better than a Corolla

As an Avensis rival obvs!

Just borrowed my girlfriend's 171 Hyundai i 40 for the day.

It's way better than the drive of a Toyota auris I test drove yesterday.

Nice gears and what I'd describe as a soft drive....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just borrowed my girlfriend's 171 Hyundai i 40 for the day.

It's way better than the drive of a Toyota auris I test drove yesterday.

Nice gears and what I'd describe as a soft drive....

An i40 is a class above though, isn't it? An i30 would be the same class as the Auris.

Compare a brand new Avensis to the i40 and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't think anyone bought i40s anymore other than the Gardai. They are a bit long in the tooth these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You must be the first person in the world to successfully change gear in an i40, never mind say it felt good.

You must be the first person in the world to successfully change gear in an i40, never mind say it felt good.

Thanks for the compliment.

You can try my aul Corolla any day,pm me I'll throw you the keys

pablo128 wrote:
    Compare a brand new Avensis to the i40 and see how you get on.

What's with mentioning the avensis, I said auris

• Advertisement
Advertisement