Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit4less Clarehall

Options
  • 06-01-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I know there are a good few people in here that were members of the Flyefit Coolock gym, before it had to shut down. Is anyone considering the new one opening behind Eddie Rockets?

It's a Fit4less and is doing introductory memberships for 19.99 (24.99 otherwise) and there seems to be a 29.99 admin charge when joining.

I mailed them to see when I could look around it / when it was opening etc. Got an email back saying it's opening on the 13th of February but it had nothing about having a look around.

I might just hold off on signing up and wait to see what it is like first. Has anyone used their other gyms and have feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ihateburpees

I'd like to see it first as well, but think I'll be joining, location suits. I don't think it's going to be as large inside as flyefit, but I could be wrong. Flyefit Coolock was excellent, shame what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'd like to see it first as well, but think I'll be joining, location suits. I don't think it's going to be as large inside as flyefit, but I could be wrong. Flyefit Coolock was excellent, shame what happened.

I loved the flyefit gym in coolock. Everyone was really happy in there and there was such a relaxed positive vibe in the place. Unlike Ben Dunnes gym in santry, I just could never feel comfortable there.

I don't particularly want a massive gym though if it's small I hope they don't flood it with memberships, though I fear the sell low price sell high volume method will be in play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cloneslad wrote: »
    I loved the flyefit gym in coolock. Everyone was really happy in there and there was such a relaxed positive vibe in the place. Unlike Ben Dunnes gym in santry, I just could never feel comfortable there.

I'm back in Northwood, but almost exclusively for swimming (I'm luck in so far as I've an excellent gym in work). Northwood has a really negative vibe, and tbh I put it down to the staff. They're a bunch of sourly fooks (with the exception of two of the cleaning staff, one big lad and an African who are both exceptionally friendly, helpful and keep the showers and locker rooms spotless.

I loved FF in Coolock for the classes and the 'good feel vibe' there.

I'll certainly check out Clarehall when I see its open as its in a great location for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Dunno if I'd be holding out much faith in this place.

Looking at the plans it pretty small - two stories totalling 611 m2
    Ground Floor = 242 m2
    First Floor = 369 m2

For some comparison, Eddie Rockets is 250 m2.
    So each floor is roughly the same size as Eddies and they still need to fit in stairs, reception, lift etc (Can't see anything on planning for showers either.)

FlyeFit was giant in comparison:
    Ground Floor = 950m2
    First Floor = 480m2
    Total= 1430m2

When I first heard I was hoping they'd be opening in the last remaining unit at the end, 1600m2 over two floors. Would've been amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Any links for the new gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »

From the site "Just a short walk from Clongriffin DART station" ~ hardly a short walk!.

Nice price, and the class time table looks good with plenty of variety.

Given what happened to the excellent Flyfit I hope they have excellent fire prevention and insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Radical Dawg

haha - it's a 30min walk, FFS. That's 1 hr of walking there & back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonj305

There's speculation that flyfit might be opening back up where Atlantic is across from northside shopping centre. Would be great if so, but I'm not getting my hopes high.

Flyfit Coolock was a perfect gym. Would love to see them re-open around the area.

Took a walk around the gym earlier. I was only in there for a couple of minutes at about 5:45 or so and didn't want to take up too much of their time because I knew it would be getting busy.

Some things to note.

No bike rack to lock your bike for those of you cycling. Saw a guy lock his to a pole outside. The girl told him she didn't know if they'd be getting any.

The lockers for the changing rooms aren't there. They'll be arriving shortly.

The free weights section downstairs is not open, they are waiting for a delivery that has been delayed. It's a good sized room but I've no idea on the equipment they'll have.

Upstairs is still missing some free weights and some machines. Okay sized room but could see it feeling very cramped during peak times.

Cardio equipment is all there, not a great selection. Maybe 4 treadmills and a few bikes. Think there was a couple of cross trainers as well. As someone who likes (like is a strong word) to do cardio for 45 mins each session I would prefer the treadmills to be facing the Windows to give me something to look out at, they are placed against a black wall to enhance the boredom.

There was a class on in the studio so I didn't get to look in ther but when I drove past last week it looked like a good sized room too, was stocked with spin bikes when I drove past.

Still needs a bit of work to be finished up but they are telling people that it hasn't had its official opening. I felt sorry for the girl working as she was having to try and explain the delays etc. I understand them opening on the date they had promised but I wouldn't be too happy if I was a paying member and all the equipment wasn't there yet.

It's still 24.99 per month, she said this will increase when the gym has its official opening, thing I wouldn't be too sure on that.

• Advertisement

Cloneslad, when they put up progress videos on their FB page a few days ago with wires hanging from the ceiling and lot of plaster work to be finished, I was thinking "they are having a laugh if they think they'll be able to open it on time next Monday" - so it seems you confirmed my thoughts, looks like it's far from being ready, but they stuck to the date, fair play, so let's see in a few days if things will get sorted, I'm not interested in classes so if free weights section is closed then it's a deal breaker for me, I'll wait till they open it up.

Cloneslad, when they put up progress videos on their FB page a few days ago with wires hanging from the ceiling and lot of plaster work to be finished, I was thinking "they are having a laugh if they think they'll be able to open it on time next Monday" - so it seems you confirmed my thoughts, looks like it's far from being ready, but they stuck to the date, fair play, so let's see in a few days if things will get sorted, I'm not interested in classes so if free weights section is closed then it's a deal breaker for me, I'll wait till they open it up.

I thought the exact same when I drove past it a number of times last week. My mind didn't change when I saw the videos either.

To be fair to them they were damned if they did open and damned if they didn't. You annoy the people who have paid and expect to be able to use the facility if you don't open at the advertised time. If you do open it, like they did, you run the risk of losing potential customers who come to view it and see that it isn't ready.

I hope it's all up and running soon enough and I will definitely get a membership to it as I'd prefer to work out near where I live rather than in town. I think it would have been better to have a manager there during the peak hours to speak to potential customers rather than the poor girl who was there, I don't think it should have been left to her to explain everything when it wasn't her fault...though she did a great job making everyone feel welcome.

I drove right past the door earlier today but tbh I was left totally uninspired to drop in and left it. Sounds like I was right not to waste my time.

I drove right past the door earlier today but tbh I was left totally uninspired to drop in and left it. Sounds like I was right not to waste my time.

There is nothing to see from the outside except the unfinished reception area and stairs. The free weights and studio are in behind a solid door when you go in and the cardio/machines / small free weight section are upstairs.

You should go in and have a look around next week or so, see if it is worth while for you. Don't take my word on it......can it really be any worse than Ben Dunnes in santry?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There is nothing to see from the outside except the unfinished reception area and stairs. The free weights and studio are in behind a solid door when you go in and the cardio/machines / small free weight section are upstairs.

You should go in and have a look around next week or so, see if it is worth while for you. Don't take my word on it......can it really be any worse than Ben Dunnes in santry?
    If it only has 4 treadmills, then it's already worse.

Ben Dunne's as a gym would be fine, it's the way it's run and allowed to be used that I had the problem with.

I don't mind if 4 people are using 4 treadmills. It's when one person is doing a 'super set' and uses 3 - 4 machines and every free weight they can find that I have a problem with.

If I go to a gym where people don't hog all of the weights and then refuse to put them back then I'm happy.

Don't take my word on it......can it really be any worse than Ben Dunnes in santry?

I really only swim in Northwood tbh as sticking to any sort of weight training routine would be pretty hard and totally infuriating for me (in Northwood).

Can it be any worse?.. Well its stretching the imagination to think there's somewhere worse than Northwood I guess :p

The old Totalfitness was brilliant, the Coolock Flyefit was fantastic and I'm still seething that a scumbag can get away with burning it down.

Oh well. I hope the new Clarehall gym is a great success, I'll look in next week or the week after.

Ben Dunne's as a gym would be fine, it's the way it's run and allowed to be used that I had the problem with

Tbh the problem begins with the staff, they simply don't give a bollox.

They're actually the worse gym staff I've ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

id love to know more about the rumours of flyefit at atlantic!!

shakencat wrote: »

I'll keep you updated

ent7fFs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

shakencat wrote: »

First I've heard of this! Although that site doesn't have a good rep for fires either...........

Nate

Was back in again tonight to see how it was looking. They actually have 6-7 treadmills, that was terrible counting on my part.

Was chatting to one of the lads there, he seems sound enough. I think he was the guy making the videos for it on Facebook. I'll prob join up in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonj305

Was back in again tonight to see how it was looking. They actually have 6-7 treadmills, that was terrible counting on my part.

Was chatting to one of the lads there, he seems sound enough. I think he was the guy making the videos for it on Facebook. I'll prob join up in the next couple of days.

Has down stairs opened yet? How many squat racks are there?

jonj305 wrote: »
    Has down stairs opened yet? How many squat racks are there?

Not open yet, think he said the third of march for the full opening. No idea on squat racks to be delivered

so as it stands still no free weights section? I'll join when it's there so... not primarily interested in cardio equipment... hopefully Fit4Less will get that sorted asap

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Anyone any further update if the free weight section had opened, or anyone who has being to the gym, any comment on the weight's section and equipment they have available, the pro's and con's?

Klopp wrote: »
    Anyone any further update if the free weight section had opened, or anyone who has being to the gym, any comment on the weight's section and equipment they have available, the pro's and con's?

I'll most likely be back in this evening so I can check it out. Though with the nice weather I've been making the most of running outside. They had some things in there last week but wasn't fully open yet. i think that's due to happen this weekend / Monday or Tuesday.

I've been using the gym around 'peak time' so between 5-6ish and it's been handy enough. I'm mostly just doing cardio at the minute and there's always enough machines.

The downside of it though is that the small free weights section upstairs does not have a mirror there. There's also only one bench upstairs too. I'm assuming once the free weights opens downstairs that it will be no problem (bench wise) but mirrors are needed to look at form. I actually like to have a mirror to look at when I'm on the treadmill too, partly to see what's going on behind me but also to look at my gait too.

As an aside, people are putting their weights back when they are done with them and the staff are also upstairs quite regularly and are tidying up the weights area too.....members could do with having some spray to clean the equipment down though, at the moment there's only blue roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So, three months on - anybody here that goes to this gym? How's the situation, crowding and so on?

I currently have a "roaming" membership with FlyeFit; Used to go to the one in Baggot Street as it's close to work but it's without a question the worst gym I've ever been in - impossibly crowded, people hogging the machinery all the time and the changing rooms have become vomit-inducingly dirty in the last few months. Plus living in Clongriffin, it was a mad rush to get the DART after - miss it and it's a 30 minutes wait. Been going to the one in Swords a few times, miles better but still very crowded even at 9pm, not to mention a bit of a drive away (good 20 minutes to and from). The Fit4Less would be perfectly located, just 5 minutes drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NRR

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    So, three months on - anybody here that goes to this gym? How's the situation, crowding and so on?

I currently have a "roaming" membership with FlyeFit; Used to go to the one in Baggot Street as it's close to work but it's without a question the worst gym I've ever been in - impossibly crowded, people hogging the machinery all the time and the changing rooms have become vomit-inducingly dirty in the last few months. Plus living in Clongriffin, it was a mad rush to get the DART after - miss it and it's a 30 minutes wait. Been going to the one in Swords a few times, miles better but still very crowded even at 9pm, not to mention a bit of a drive away (good 20 minutes to and from). The Fit4Less would be perfectly located, just 5 minutes drive...

My girlfriend goes, and I went last weekend on a one-day trial so I didn't have to travel into the city to FlyeFit (I am also in Clongriffin coincidentally).

In short, it's alright. They have most of what anyone would need, but (aside from cardio machines) typically just 1 of each. From what I remember, there's only two racks and one dedicated bench press bench. Overall it's a small, tight space, and prone to some of the people that sit on a machine/bench and just stare forward into space for 5-10 minutes between sets.

If you're going after work, I'd say forget about it (from what I've heard), but if you can wait to go there til later in the evening it does get a bit quieter. I was there on a Sunday mid-morning and found space gets tight fast. There is not a lot of space for moving around without feeling like you're encroaching on someone else. But everything is shiny, new, and clean.

That said, regardless of the above, you can get a 1-day pass easily enough, just pop in. The people running the show there are friendly enough.

FlyeFit Baggot is actually my normal daily gym, I'm lucky enough to be able to go for an hour in the afternoons as my "lunch break" so I find crowds aren't too bad, particularly since they added the 4 additional power racks in there now. They don't go a great job at mopping up the change rooms though and the shower drains do smell more than they should, but for 30 quid a month I'll deal with it.

...I still miss FlyeFit Clarehall. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

NRR wrote: »
    FlyeFit Baggot is actually my normal daily gym, I'm lucky enough to be able to go for an hour in the afternoons as my "lunch break" so I find crowds aren't too bad, particularly since they added the 4 additional power racks in there now. They don't go a great job at mopping up the change rooms though and the shower drains do smell more than they should, but for 30 quid a month I'll deal with it.

...I still miss FlyeFit Clarehall. :(

Cheers man, I went to have a look at Fit4Less last evening around 7pm, seemed all right but then I realized the day was uncharacteristic to say the least, weather wise. Must take another look maybe on Monday night.

I would be going in the evenings, but rarely if ever before 7.30pm - usually by that time even the city-centre FlyFits aren't too crowded; The problem for me going to Baggot St. is that having to go in the evenings, I either have to deal with absurd crowding (it seems to be getting worse and worse especially with groups for 3-4 "gym buddies" hogging machinery and weight areas indefinitely) or wait around the office until 7/7.30pm when the situation is more approachable - but the result at that point is that I get home a good 12-13 hours after leaving in the morning.

Combined with the dirtiness and the frankly weird feel of that specific gym (not sure why, same with the Macken St. one, while the Swords facility "feels" fine), it's been causing me to find the smallest excuses to just bail out at least once a week. It's absurd that the whole Clongriffin / Clare Hall / Donaghmede area doesn't have more fitness facilities, given the residential population.

Out of curiosity, any idea why the Baggot St. FlyeFit seems to be the only one in the chain that's not 24/7 anymore?

Advertisement