Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Boxer to Beefcake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

FTA69 wrote: »
    Catastrophically injured young athlete whose dreams were ruined making a comeback against all the odds to take on a stronger opponent. They'll make a film about me yet.

Also the other lad hasn't even started for f*ck's sake. All talk. I had builders around and bought them muffins they didn't even eat so I'm having a final cake day.

Loser talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Loser talk.

Would a loser eat three blueberry muffins in a row after 50 deadlifts?

No, didn't think so.

Would a loser eat three blueberry muffins in a row after 50 deadlifts?

No, didn't think so.

50 deadlifts and you only ate 3?

You might want to invest in some big boy pants! :)

Just kidding. High volume is a bit of a shock to the system when you start. After the first week it gets more tolerable. I think it's that you're more mentally prepared for it, as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Did you calculate your working sets based off of your 1RM or 90% of your 1RM?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you calculate your working sets based off of your 1RM or 90% of your 1RM?

Working sets are based off 90% of your real max, what Wendller calls a "training max". At the start it feels very light but that's common, apparently after a few cycles it gets pretty taxing. The idea being you start light, get more volume in and after a few months you're setting PRs. Do you have a copy of the book?

• Advertisement

Cycle 1 Week 1 Session 3

Today was handy enough, feeling fairly achey due to the volume but otherwise all good. I'm doing four sessions in a row this week which I know isn't ideal but I'm out Friday and I missed Monday so needs must. Shoulder and back are doing well.

Overhead Press
    20kg x5
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    32.5kg x 5
    37.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 5 (+5)

All good here, thought my arms were about to fall off toward the end of the last set.

Bench Press BBB
    40kg 5x10

Grand.

Pull-ups
    2x8, 1x6

Chin ups
    2x8, 1x7

The goal is to be able to get fifty per session.

Working sets are based off 90% of your real max, what Wendller calls a "training max". At the start it feels very light but that's common, apparently after a few cycles it gets pretty taxing. The idea being you start light, get more volume in and after a few months you're setting PRs. Do you have a copy of the book?
    No I don't have the book. Just read a bit online. Going by your squat numbers then you're exact same as me. So the maxes you posted here are actually only 90% of your true max?

No I don't have the book. Just read a bit online. Going by your squat numbers then you're exact same as me. So the maxes you posted here are actually only 90% of your true max?

Yeah I could hit a single to parallel of 120. But I've disk issues so wouldn't me at that too often.

http://crossfitnorthvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Wendler-PDF.pdf

Here's the full PDF, it explains everything.

Yeah I could hit a single to parallel of 120. But I've disk issues so wouldn't me at that too often.

http://crossfitnorthvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Wendler-PDF.pdf

Here's the full PDF, it explains everything.

Ah shur then we've practically the same numbers

Cycle 1 Week 1 Session 4

Ah, fasted heavy deadlifts and high volume squats at the crack of dawn; my favourite. Woke up today screaming with DOMS and feel even worse today; I was walking out of the gym like a pure sham - I can only manage a waddle. All in all back felt good but I just don't feel as strong on the deadlifts as I did a while back. My hands are getting pretty chewed up too. Maybe it's the time of the day or trepidation over my back; we'll see.

Deadlifts
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    87.5kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 5 (+3)

Completely forgot about the AMRAP at the end which threw me off a bit; I could have got more had I planned for it. Form was good and only switched to mixed grip for the last set.

BBB Squats
    50kg 4 x 10

My arse and thighs are wrecked.

Right off to work: half day finish and then rampage about Camden Town. I'm off the drink after I swear to God.

• Advertisement

Cycle 1 Week 2 Session 1

I had one of the maddest days I've had in my life today, gym was the last thing on my mind, the only reason I went in was to get away from everything.

Bench Press
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    62.5kg x 3
    70kg x 3 (+5)

I maybe had another one or two in the tank but had no spot so capped it. Felt a bit weak to be honest although I've a lot on my mind and I sped through all the sets, maybe 60 seconds between each.

BBB Overhead Press
    26kg 5x10

Bent over Dumbell Row
    24kg 5x10

Chins
    3x8

I need to tighten up my diet a bit, I've been eating too much sugary crap and drinking too much at weekends.

Cycle 1 Week 2 Session 2

Happy 'Smash Your Hamstrings Tuesday' everyone! Head all over the gaff again, thank God for the old gym is all I can say. Back holding up well enough and bumped up the volume work this week.

Squats
    45kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    75kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    97.5kg x 3 (+7)

This was lovely now, had a couple of wobblers but kept the form and depth proper and managed the ten reps. Still nice and easy so far. All squats high bar and wide stance.

Deadlifts
    60kg 5x10

High volume deads suck ass. Hands beat up. Forearms wrecked. Kept the double overhand throughout to work on grip.

Leg curl machine
    32kg 5x10

Pull-ups
    3x8

All in all felt stronger than I did yesterday and am looking forward to pushing the limits a bit more over the next few cycles.

Cycle 1 Week 2 Session 3

Very happy with today, Press was brilliant and pull-ups were solid.

Press
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 3 (+7)

Delighted with this, this was a real grind and took a bit of a psych-up before I launched into it. The narrow Press grip is soooo much handier now and forces me to engage my lats rather than leaning back or swinging the weight up, very confident I'll be able to press 60kg at some stage.

Bench Press BBB
    41kg 5x10

Going increasing this incrementally.

Pull-ups
    1x8 1x8 1x6 1x5
    Chin ups
    1x8 1x5 1x5

Around 45 in total. My arms were battered, had to go and pick up two heavy tins of paint down the builders providers after and could barely carry them home.

Cycle 1 Week 2 Session 4

Again really happy with today, disc isn't presenting any issues. I'm conscious of it being 'there' if that makes any sense but then I've had that for years. Strength and energy felt really positive and form was good.

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    95kg x 3
    107.5kg x 3
    120kg x 3 (+5)

If I had went balls to the wall I could have gotten another two or three max but I'd be shattered for anything else. All reps dead stop and was really concentrating on form. Felt strong. Grip was rock solid throughout and again only switched to mixed for the last set. The part giving me the most guff in this movement is the middle part when the bar comes past my knees. I think I need more hip drive?

(Or could cop on and post a video???)

Squats
    50kg 5x10

This was handy as well, high bar and wide stance just hitting parallel. Contended.

Chin ups
    1x13

Gunzzz
    Various curls.

The part giving me the most guff in this movement is the middle part when the bar comes past my knees. I think I need more hip drive?

(Or could cop on and post a video???).

A video would help - could be a number of things. Sometimes it gets harder to lockout because you're out of position as well.

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 1

I won't lie, I was a touch hungover and tired today with little in my stomach. I didn't do tragically but didn't give it my best on the main lift definitely. Aside from that, the rows and chins felt good. Drink is a curse honestly. Stupid London social calendar.

Bench Press
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    47.5kg x 3
    57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    72.5kg x 1 (+6)

I really wanted eight or nine reps here but they just weren't there, had I been in better form I think I could have knocked out nine. We'll see next time around.

Press BBB
    26kg 5x10.

Kroc Row
    24kg 5x10

These felt easy, definitely upping the weight next time.

Chin ups
    3x8

Arms were screaming after the rows but knocked these out.

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 2

Went in today on an empty stomach bate with the hunger, positively hate training on an empty stomach. I didn't feel the strongest under the bar, form was good though and upped the weight on the volume deadlifts.

Squat
    40kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    102.5 kg x 1 (+7)

I'm annoyed here again, on the last few reps I felt a mad cramp in my shoulder (the good one) and couldn't hold the bar in place. I definitely had two more left there but had to re-rack as my arm was screaming. Aside from that it felt ok, only really "felt" the weight on the last set.

Deadlift BBB
    62.5kg 5x10

Grand job here, concentrated on form and no grip issues.

Hamstring Curl
    34.5kg 5x10

Took a while to get into these, hamstrings started cramping up in the second set but settled in after a while.

Pull-ups
    3x8

"You could I suppose, say I smell like success. I mean, women see the clothes, the boots, the 'tache and they just think 'money' innit?"

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 3

Great old session today. Felt strong and explosive on the press, hit 50 pull-ups and had no problem in increased weight on the volume bench. Full stomach and a good night's sleep works wonders. I know 531 starts light but it's great to have long, steady progress in sight in a format that doesn't tax my injuries too much.

Press
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    37.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 3
    47.5kg x 1 (+8)

Very happy here and definitely had an extra in the tank; no way I could have knocked out ten of those not so long ago. Felt a bit dizzy after but all good.

Bench Press BBB
    42.5kg 5x10

Handy out.

Pull-ups 2x8 1x5 1x4
    Chin-ups 2x8 1x5 1x4

50 in total, my lats are wrecked

"You could I suppose, say I smell like success. I mean, women see the clothes, the boots, the 'tache and they just think 'money' innit?"

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 3

Great old session today. Felt strong and explosive on the press, hit 50 pull-ups and had no problem in increased weight on the volume bench. Full stomach and a good night's sleep works wonders. I know 531 starts light but it's great to have long, steady progress in sight in a format that doesn't tax my injuries too much.

Press
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    37.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 3
    47.5kg x 1 (+8)

Very happy here and definitely had an extra in the tank; no way I could have knocked out ten of those not so long ago. Felt a bit dizzy after but all good.

Bench Press BBB
    42.5kg 5x10

Handy out.

Pull-ups 2x8 1x5 1x4
    Chin-ups 2x8 1x5 1x4

50 in total, my lats are wrecked

You've a solid press in fairness. I know well I won't get 9 reps at 47.5

First blood has been drawn

:D

• Advertisement

I can also drink 30 pints or more.

I can also drink 30 pints or more.

I've done more....

What grip have you on your Press? When I started I had the same grip as the bench (little fingers on rings) and found I was swinging the weight and leaning back. I since changed to one slightly wider than shoulder width which allows me to engage my lats more and it has made all the difference.

What grip have you on your Press? When I started I had the same grip as the bench (little fingers on rings) and found I was swinging the weight and leaning back. I since changed to one slightly wider than shoulder width which allows me to engage my lats more and it has made all the difference.

I've had a look at a few tutorials online. Mark ripitoe seems to know his stuff. I'll try his techniques next day.

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 4

Went in with an empty stomach again and didn't feel the strongest but got the work done in the end. I just don't feel as strong on the deadlifts as I did a while back but I'm increasing bit by bit so still making progress.

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 3
    127.5kg x 1 (+5)

Definitely has one or two left in the tank but didn't want to goose myself for the squats. Form was ok, keeping the chin held high helps with drive and lockout and descent were smooth. Shins are looking fairly bate so need to acquire some sort of long sock.

Squats BBB
    52.5kg 5x10

Torture as usual.

Chin-ups 1x13

Gun Show

Now the big question is that of deload? Personally I couldn't be arsed doing one afte the first cycle, I feel fine injury wise and don't feel overloaded or wrecked. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine to run into second cycle and then deload after that.

Cycle 1 Week 3 Session 4

Went in with an empty stomach again and didn't feel the strongest but got the work done in the end. I just don't feel as strong on the deadlifts as I did a while back but I'm increasing bit by bit so still making progress.

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 3
    127.5kg x 1 (+5)

Definitely has one or two left in the tank but didn't want to goose myself for the squats. Form was ok, keeping the chin held high helps with drive and lockout and descent were smooth. Shins are looking fairly bate so need to acquire some sort of long sock.

Squats BBB
    52.5kg 5x10

Torture as usual.

Chin-ups 1x13

Gun Show

Now the big question is that of deload? Personally I couldn't be arsed doing one afte the first cycle, I feel fine injury wise and don't feel overloaded or wrecked. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine to run into second cycle and then deload after that.

Was thinking the same myself mainly because I'm trying to fit my Deload week into my holidays where I've only access to a gym where light Ish weights are available.

Was thinking the same myself mainly because I'm trying to fit my Deload week into my holidays where I've only access to a gym where light Ish weights are available.

I'm in the same boat; timing it around a holiday. All my reading online points to reloading after the second; as we're novices too the weights at present aren't crazy.

Wendler's idea seems to be "f*ck it, do it when you need to" - 531 isn't as ironly rigid in that sense

I'm in the same boat; timing it around a holiday. All my reading online points to reloading after the second; as we're novices too the weights at present aren't crazy.

Wendler's idea seems to be "f*ck it, do it when you need to" - 531 isn't as ironly rigid in that sense

Plus if we stay close enough in sync it'll make the competition more exciting :)

Cycle 2 Week 1 Session 1

Back to the grind today, I decided to skip the deload as I was feeling fresh but I'll be glad of one in three weeks I'd say. Added weight to my assistance today and felt challenged although it was manageable. Benching well.

Bench Press
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    47.5kg x 3
    52.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5 (+5)

Happy here with the ten reps and had another one in the tank definitely if I'd a spot. Hopefully I can maintain the high rep range as I progress.

Press BBB
    27.5kg 5x10

Upped the weight here and over 50 reps it made all the difference, my triceps and delts were in agony and barely squeezed out the last set.

Kroc Rows
    26kg 5x10

Again the small bit of weight made the difference.

Chin-ups
    1x8 1x7 1x6

Had a horrendous pump in my arms from the volume work so hit failure on these pretty quickly. All in all a challenging day but feeling good.

• Advertisement

Cycle 2 Week 1 Session 2

Again happy with the amount of reps I got on the last set, shoulder and back felt steady. Assistance was manageable but high volume deads are always a hoor. I'm thinking about getting a proper leather belt. Was absolutely bate with sweat after which is unusual for me. Must be the menopause.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    67.5kg x 3
    72.5kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    95kg x 5 (+5)

This was a handy number, easy one or two left in the tank to boot. My mobility still sucks though.

Deadlift BBB
    62.5kg 5x10

Hamstring Curl
    35.5kg 5 x 10

Pull-ups
    3x8

All in all good, feeling slightly challenging but manageable all the same. I feel like I could be doing a bit more but this is a good bridge into heavier weights and higher volume.

Advertisement