Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Boxer to Beefcake

Options
  • 06-01-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

By the end of 2015 I had had my first two professional fights, was coaching the "yute dem" at the weekends and generally boxing away happily. I had always had a rotator cuff issue since my ABA days and early 2016 saw it come back to bite me in the arse. As bad luck would have it, 6 weeks out from my third fight I was out doing roadwork and felt an agonising pull in my back. Turned out I'd slipped a disk in my lower spine and that was that. A few months later I was finally admitted to an orthopaedic surgeon who strongly suspects my left rotator cuff is knackered; I have no bother doing day to day stuff or even lifting heavy - but throwing hundreds of punches at bags/people is out for the foreseeable future. I found myself going from competitive athlete to being hampered with crippling back pain and a massive shoulder impingement. At 29. Needless to say this was very hard to take mentally and I found myself depressed and miserable. One day my missus pointed out that I was a narky sh*t these days and to sort myself out and stop eating Crunchy Nut Cornflakes in front of re-runs of Kitchen Nightmares sobbing into my hands.

Steps I had to take:
    1) Sort the back out. Every day stretching, mobilising etc and eventually it popped back in naturally. I feel pretty much as good as new now although I bet it'll pop up again unexpectedly like your man from Halloween.

2) Tackle my shoulder impingement and see what can be done. I decided to get a bit proactive and every day spend time stretching, tennis balling and rubber banding. After a month or so my mobility and ROM is hugely improved and it's pretty much pain free although I can't afford to stop my routine and need to warm it up thoroughly before any sort of pressing.

3) Find some sort of exercise routine that offers me progression and structure -for that I've decided on a spot of lifting weights.

Program wise I've adopted a linear progression routine as I'm painfully weak and carrying a bit of fat due to horrendous inactivity. The idea behind this is to spend 4 months or more milking LP for all it is worth, getting some respectable figures on the compound lifts and then moving on to a % of max based program like Hanley's one or 531 or some other such thing.

I don't want to move too far away from my walking around weight of 75kg in case I'm able to go back to boxing so am eating at maintenance generally and hoping for a slow recomposition with strength gains. I'm six weeks in now and all I can say is I'm absolutely delighted to be back in the gym on a regular basis - words can't describe how good it is to be active again.

About 7 years ago I pursued a similar program and ate everything around me, I ended up pretty fat with not very impressive figures on my lifts with god-awful form on my squats. I'm trying not to let that happen again, pay proper attention to diet (well used to strict dieting at this stage) and leave ego at the door.

Current stats:
    Height 5ft 8.5
    Weight: 76kg
    Starting squat weight - 40kg
    Starting Bench - 40kg
    Starting Press - 25kg
    Starting Deadlift - 60kg
    Bodyfat - less than 20% anyway but not quite 15% in my opinion.

Goals:
    Maintain bodyweight, alter composition
    Achieve 60kg press
    Achieve bodyweight bench press
    Achieve bodyweight plus 50% for squat
    Achieve bodyweight plus 75% for deadlift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yesterday's session: Week 7 Session 2

Squat
    Bar 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 1x2
    80kg 3x5

The squats felt heavy but I think form was reasonable, I definitely hit parallel or below for each rep but the last two reps on the last set were hard going.

Press
    Bar 1x5
    30kg 1x4
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 3x5

This is always a pure bastard of a lift but every rep came past my chin and I didn't have to lean back or push with my legs. As above though, the last couple were slow and grinding. I doubt I'll be able to maintain 2.5kg jumps so have ordered some .5kg microplates which I think will be needed soon.

Wide grip Pull-ups - no kipping
    1x8 1x7 1x6

Deadlift
    70kg 1x3
    100kg 1x5

I've a terrible grip so had to use the mixed grip for the working set.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

FTA69 wrote: »
    This is always a pure bastard of a lift but every rep came past my chin and I didn't have to lean back or push with my legs. As above though, the last couple were slow and grinding. I doubt I'll be able to maintain 2.5kg jumps so have ordered some .5kg microplates which I think will be needed soon.

OHP is the very reason I have my 0.5kg plates :)

OHP is the very reason I have my 0.5kg plates :)

Cost me £12 for 4 of them which is a bargain like. It makes all the sense in the world when doing upper body lifts with linear progression.

Today: Week 7 Session 3

I had a few days off over Christmas and was sore as sh*t coming back this week. Likewise I'm starving, as in I'm always really hungry. If eating "maintenance" should I constantly be craving something? Or am I just craving due to being a fat drunken wastrel over Christmas? Also the thing about starting low in linear progression is you think it's a walk in the park and then weights get heavy and you realise strength training is f*cking hard work.

Normally I take two minutes max rest between sets but I'm going to have to start upping that I think.

Squat
    Bar 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 1x2
    82.5kg 3x5

Jesus the last couple took a bit of effort there. Form is maintaining and I'm sitting down nicely but the last two reps were slow coming up. Didn't see any blood coming from my eyes so not that taxing I don't think.

Bench Press
    Bar 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x3
    62.5kg 3x5

Very manageable in fairness.

Bent Over dumbbell Row
    32kg 3x7 each side.

Going working up to 3x8 per session and then jumping weight.

Chin ups
    3x6

I was utterly wiped after this and would have fought ten men for a sandwich. I do hope I'm actually eating enough. The chins were crap but literally had no energy to pull myself.

Week 8 session 1

'Twas a game of two halves today I must say, positively delighted with some aspects but a bit scratchy about others. Squats and press were brilliant, deadlift was a pile of sh*t - to the drawing board on that one I think.

Squats
    Bar 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 1x2
    85kg 3x5

Delighted with this, every rep was bang on and a lovely satisfying clink of the bar on the safeties showing I'd gone below parallel. To be honest I was dreading this today but no bothers at all, it's at the point now I'm crapping myself every time I have to up the weight. Which is every session of course.

Press
    Bar 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x3
    47.5kg 3x5

Again fupping delighted here. My microplates didn't come today so I upped the weight and was fully expecting to fail on a set. To my surprise I horsed them all up without having to so much as bend my knees. This is a real achievement for me here to be honest and am considering this a PR as the last time I managed sets of this weight I was 14kg heavier and if I recall correctly wasn't even bringing the bar past my chin. Last rep on every set was a struggle though, proper purple face territory. Buzzing.

Pull-ups wide grip
    3x7

Deadlift
    105kg 1x5

This was f*cking brutal like. I don't know what the story is, maybe form or grip? The bar pinched a callus on the second rep and tore it off, zero craic. I had to wait five seconds after every rep to reset my grip and it nearly slipped out of my paw every time, it's really holding me back and I definitely struggled here. This is way too light a weight to need straps like. At a loss, might post in the main forum about it. (I'm using mixed grip)

All in all, 8 weeks in still at 76kg weight and feeling a lot stronger.

EDIT: 1 hour after training my thighs are crushed and I feel a bit wobbly walking around. Bate. I need to eat more steak.

• Advertisement

Week 8 session 2

All in all very happy, don't feel half as wiped as I did yesterday and every rep felt manageable and clean. I'm still waiting on my delivery of microplates and chalk which better come tomorrow so I can continue my march to immortal pressing greatness.

Squats
    1x5 Bar
    1x5 50kg
    1x3 65kg
    1x2 75kg
    3x5 87.5kg

I'm happy here, the depth seems to be maintaining but I'm noticing a tendency towards tipping forward on some descents which I had to concentrate on arresting. I need to "sit back" more and keep that burned into my head. Getting the last reps out were less of a struggle than Monday. I think having my lunch closer to lifting time and sleeping better makes a difference.

Bench Press
    1x6 Bar
    1x5 40kg
    1x3 50kg
    3x5 65kg

Again, very manageable. Every rep went up and down handily and no struggling or grinding necessary. I think my goal of pressing 75kg will be realised very soon.

Bent-Over Row, One Armed
    3x8 32kg each side.

Chin-ups
    1x8, 1x7, 1x6

I actually had a few left over in the tank on the first and second sets, must have just got an attack of Lazy Bastard Syndrome

Week 8 Session 3

Interesting stuff today. Asked for advice on the main forum about grip limiting my deadlift and I got two main pointers, bar placement and chalk. Used both today and found my deads and pull-ups much easier. Also a bit sad as I had my first missed rep in 8 straight weeks today!

Squat
    Bar 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    65kg 1x3
    80kg 1x2
    90kg 3x5

Quality. Addressed the forward tipping much better and had a bench under my arse to gauge depth. The last rep on the last two sets were hard work but nothing too grinding or slow. I'm confident I can hit 100kg without a hitch. Two minutes exactly between sets.

Press
    Bar 1x5
    35kg 1x4
    45kg 1x2
    50kg 3x3

Like a dope I ordered my microplates to my old address. Pure balls. I knew the minute I deracked I wouldn't have it in me and the last rep in each set was a hoor. I'm in a dilemma now, keep banging away at 50kg to get it up rep by rep or deload now and work my way back up by micro-increments?

Wide pull-ups
    1x8
    2x7

Deadlift
    70kg 1x5
    90kg 1x3
    110kg 1x5

Boom. No bother here at all, chalk is the business and will definitely be doing warmup sets in future. Delighted with this.

All in all I'm a bit annoyed about missing 50kg but a stall on the press 8 weeks in isn't bad at all I don't think. My shoulder pain has returned a bit so will need to spend more time on massage and stretching it. Weighted myself today and I'm 75.75 kilos so have dropped some weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was a long time converting to warm ups too. I start off with empty bar rdls to get the hams going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How do you find lowering the bar below your chin on the press with your history of impinged shoulders? I often get a noise out of mine so I don't dare it

How do you find lowering the bar below your chin on the press with your history of impinged shoulders? I often get a noise out of mine so I don't dare it

Grand. Funnily enough it's not the heavy pressing etc that ruined my rotator cuff, it was just years of boxing and constantly throwing punches. More of a gradual erosion than a hard and immediate tear if that makes sense. I get the bar down to the clavicle reasonably well but then again I'm lifting light weights in a novice program too. If I get to the point I'm belting out reps of 60kg it might be a different story.

As for noise, mine sounds like a f*cking cement mixer.

• Advertisement

Week 9 Session 1

"Tell me why Mondays are gammy yokes" to paraphrase the Boomtown Rats. Had hardly anything to eat today bar a small slice of fish and a couple of boiled eggs. I was so starving heading to the gym I had to eat a portion of Dixy chicken wings ("y'get me bruv") and a banana. Struggled through but felt weak as a kitten. Shoulder is presenting a slight dull ache.

Squats
    Bar 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    65kg 1x3
    85kg 1x2
    92.5 3x5

This was the toughest session of squats I've ever put dow. Maybe it was hunger or whatever but I honestly had to grit through the last reps on each set there. 100kg looks far away now to be honest. Two and a half mines rest between sets.

Bench Press
    40kg 1x10
    67.5kg 3x5

The gym was slammed so ended up working in with some Albanian tank and others were waiting. Didn't want to blackguard them too much with warmups so got straight to it. Asked for a spot the last set and he was inches away from my face waving his arms all over the gaff which put me right off. Still, got it done. Last rep on the last set was a grinder. At least my shoulder didn't explode. 90 secs between sets so can probably do better with a bit more rest.

Bent over dumbbell row.
    34kg 3x5 each side

Chin-ups
    1x10, 1x8, 1x4

Delighted I got ten, that's a first I think. Literally slipped off on the last set and nearly slewed myself. Chalk for the next time. All in all tipping along nicely.

Week 9 Session 2

I was dreading this session today to be honest, shoulder is aching slightly and had nightmares of my rotator cuff exploding all over the place. That having been said deadlift is zooming up nicely, pull-ups are getting better, press is improving on a weight I thought I'd never get - only worry now is the squats.

Squats
    20kg 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    65kg 1x3
    80kg 1x2
    95kg 3x5

Christ on a stick these were difficult. Last two reps in each set were grinding and slow. I normally use a rack with a mirror but couldn't today, I'm confident I was getting depth but found myself tipping forward the odd time. There were definitely some ugly ones in there. This is getting really taxing for me now to be honest. 3 minutes rest.

Press
    20kg 1x6
    35kg 1x3
    40kg 1x2
    50kg 3x4

Delighted with this really. This is a massive PR for me. I remember years ago barely managing three half assed reps with 50kg and I was 80kg odd at the time. Last week I hit 3x3 and today I managed to add a rep on each set. My plates arrived today but definitely sticking with this weight for another bash. Really positive stuff. 10kg off my goal weight. 2.5 minutes rest.

Pull-ups, wide grip
    1x10, 2x6

Again this is a big first for me, ten actual pull ups. 3x10 is now obviously the goal.

Deadlift
    70kg 1x5
    100kg 1x2
    115kg 1x5

Slight grip issue but only down to bar placement, everything else felt strong and form was bang on bar the third rep when legs went straight a bit. Again delighted with my progress here and I'm well confident I'll hit my goal of 130kg soon enough.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Christ on a stick these were difficult. Last two reps in each set were grinding and slow. I normally use a rack with a mirror but couldn't today, I'm confident I was getting depth but found myself tipping forward the odd time. There were definitely some ugly ones in there. This is getting really taxing for me now to be honest.

It's possible that because you're used to looking at the mirror and keeping your head up to some degree and when it wasn't there, you didn't amd consequently your chest dropped a touch and you wound up leaning forward a bit on it.

It could also be a number of other things but try keeping your eyes up and take it from there.

Also, don't be afraid to push put your rests a little.

And make sure that you're not headed for shoulder damage. Getting the work done doesn't mean you aren't risking it if it's been a problem ahead of training.

It's possible that because you're used to looking at the mirror and keeping your head up to some degree and when it wasn't there, you didn't amd consequently your chest dropped a touch and you wound up leaning forward a bit on it.

It could also be a number of other things but try keeping your eyes up.

You're dead right I think. At the end of the day you should be well able to squat with no mirror if needs be; I suppose I'm so long out of the (weights) gym now I'm relearning everything. I'll definitely keep the above in mind though, it's about time I took some recordings too. Shame half the fellas in the gym I go to are maniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You may have mentioned this in your thread but are you doing much upper back work? Band pullaparts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You may have mentioned this in your thread but are you doing much upper back work? Band pullaparts etc

JJayoo wrote: »

I'm doing one armed bent over rows on bench day and wide grip pulls the other day. The reason I jumped into them was because I just don't feel comfortable doing bent over rows, every time I've attempted them they've just been a horror form wise and the dumbbells are a cop out I suppose.

Week 9 Session 3

All in all can't complain about today. My shoulder is still aching but no real "pain" or instability or lack of strength or loss of motion, bear in mind this has been a problem for years for me now. I have an MRI booked in for late February which will hopefully decided once and for all what the issue is.

Squats
    Bar 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    70kg 1x3
    85kg 1x2
    97.5kg 3x5

These were hard work but the form was much better and they felt easier than last session when there was a bit of instability creeping in. The last rep on each set were slow but not a grind per se. 3 minutes rest. On to the big ton next week and to be honest I'm delighted to be into treble figures after 9 weeks.

Bench Press
    Bar 1x5
    35kg 1x5
    50kg 1x4
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 3x5

Definitely feeling the weight on this one now. Form was ok and the shoulder held up well with no pain or instability. The last rep on the last set was a bit of a grinder and I'm glad I had a spot. I do have a question about the descent put will put that to the main forum.

One Arm Dumbbell Row
    34kg 3x7 each side

Chin-ups
    2x8 1x6

So my weight is still just under 76kg but composition has definitely changed. The fat around my midsection has thinned out considerably and there are noticeable changes. For the lark I did one of those 'grip the handles' body fat testers in the gym and it said 13.7% but I may as well stick my hand in the jacks as I suspect they're not the most accurate.

Week 10 Session 1

Again a game of two halves here, some great work on some lifts but the press was weak to be honest. My stomach was growling heading in and I positively can't lift well while hungry. My shoulder is holding up reasonably well. I've also discovered that some people think it absolutely kosher to walk up to you in the middle of a set when your face is red with exertion to badger you about can they use xyz; no cop on like. Likewise people robbing all the bumper plates for bench leaving none on the platform, is it because they look cool or what?

Squats
    20kg 1x5
    60kg 1x4
    75kg 1x3
    90kg 1x2
    100kg 3x5

Delighted here, not just happy but delighted. No grinding, no screaming, no purple face - banged each set in around 25seconds start to finish. Depth was quality and it felt lighter than the last three days. A couple of days rest can work wonders. My goal at the start was to squat 112.5 and I'm well on the way here like.

Press
    20kg 1x10
    35kg 1x4
    40kg 1x3
    50kg 2x4, 1x3

This was sh*te, just felt weak from the off. It's even lower than last Wednesday's attempt. That's three fails in a row now so I'm going to deload back to 40 and work my way up with a bit more volume. Not bad going, 50kg before a stall.

Pull-ups
    1x10, 1x8, 1x7

Deadlift
    70kg 1x5
    100kg 1x3
    120kg 1x5

Yurt. Pulled this not a bother, grip was sorted and everything calm and collected. Goal was 130 for one at the start but I'll p*ss that I'd say. Flying.

Tough today now to be honest, was under fierce pressure timewise but got in and got it done.

Squats
    20kg 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    75kg 1x3
    90kg 1x2
    102.5kg 3x5

Monday was easy, this wasn't. Some ugly reps in there and a bit of shouting and grunting on the last reps. Stall won't be far off Id say.

Bench Press
    20kg 1x5
    40kg 1x4
    50kg 1x3
    60kg 1x2
    72.5kg 2x5, 1x4

Honeslty. Asked a lad for a spot for the last set and he pulled the bloody thing off me on the last rep prematurely. People have no sense. Hard work aside from that, going taking this as a failed attempt.

Bent over one Rmed row
    34kg 3x7 each side

Chin-ups
    1x10, 1x8, 1x5

• Advertisement

If you're under time pressure, your rest periods will shorten and you'll find it tough when you're getting close to max.

You kind of have to watch people train to know who's going to be a decent spot. Most people are too quick to jump in of the bar even smell like stalling. Have had plenty of shi*ty spots in my time who think if the bar slows down by a mm/s then they need to touch the bar.

Week 10 Session 3

Jesus what a comedy of bloody errors today; failed hard on the squats, deadlift was torture and pull-ups were crap. I was seriously caught for time again and for some reason the gym was full of numpties. I'd some wan next to me who would literally scream like Sharapova before even getting under the bar to do some awful quarter-squats and then doing some more screaming while resting. She also started shouting at me for deadlifting on my own platform as I was "putting her off". Loonies Joe.

Crap session. I ate well and slept well, dunno what the deal is.

Squat
    20kg 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    75kg 1x3
    95kg 1x2
    105kg 1x3, 1x4, 1x3

Serious death here. I had to re-rack after the first set, barely made the third rep. Managed to horse out 4 on the second and filt dizzy. Last set I got stuck in the hole and had to bail. I was nervous about it as it's my first bail but had the safeties in place. Errah I had to stall eventually, I just didn't think it would be that hard. Felt like the world on my shoulders.

Press. Deload 1
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x4
    35kg 1x3
    40kg 5x5

Piece of p*ss. I'll ramp up the volume til I get to 47.5kg and then microload my way back to 50 I think.

Pull-ups
    1x10, 1x8, 1x5

Gammy.

Deadlift
    70kg 1x4
    100kg 1x3
    125kg 1x5

Whoooo this was hard graft, couple of dodgy ones in there. After I finished the set I was mad dizzy and had some bizarre metallic taste in my mouth.

Sometimes you have bad sessions just because.

Sometimes they're bad because they were hard. Time will tell but if it's just a bad session, everyone has them. If not, you just need to change it. No biggie

Week 11 Session 1

Failed on my two big lifts today but not bothered a bit really. Felt much stronger than I did last week and I think three days off helped a lot in recovery (bar going on the rip roaring p*ss on Saturday and eating sh*t all day Sunday.) Getting close by goal lifts bit by bit.

Squats
    20kg 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    70kg 1x3
    95kg 1x2
    105kg 2x5, 1x4 Fail #2

These were grand. Form was good, was hitting depth and the bar was moving quickly throughout. And then, bang. Reverted to my old habit of tipping forward and nearly keeled over and had to bail out. Just goes to show how important form is as the weights get a bit heavier. Honestly, I was seconds away. I should get it Thursday no bother. Gym was rammed and was mad caught for time so only 2.5 mins rest too.

Bench Press
    20kg 1x5
    50kg 1x4
    60kg 1x3
    72.5kg 1x4, 2x5 Fail #2

Slightly annoyed here but it's all good. Wussed out on the first set as I'd no spot and was worried about missing a rep and lo and behold managed to bang the other two out no bother. Will definitely get this Saturday and felt a hell of a lot stronger. Marathon not a sprint after all.

Bent Over Dumbell Row
    34kg 3x8 each side

Chin-ups
    1x10, 1x8, 1x6

All in all, getting there.

Week 11 Session 2

Huzzah! Conquered a few demons today, pure delighted. This was a hard, taxing and gruelling session but I put the head down and got her done. It's funny, maybe it's a hangover from the boxing but I get a little pang of nerves before heading to the gym nowadays. It's definitely getting a hell of a lot more demanding; I'm bloody knackered from this heavy squatting three times a week.

Squat
    20kg 1x5
    55kg 1x4
    70kg 1x3
    95kg 1x2
    105kg 3x5

At last! No real bother here, it was tough but no absolute screamers of reps and no sticking of note. Just had to remember to sit back and keep the old arch in the back. God knows what Saturday will be like though. Three minutes rest per set.

Press deload #1 contd
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x4
    35kg 1x3
    42.5kg 5x5

The extra volume would tax a bit more but the bar was moving quick and form was bang on.

Pull-ups
    2x7 1x5

Sacked these off as I was knackered and afraid I'd use all my precious deadlift strength.

Deadlift
    70kg 1x5
    100kg 1x2
    130kg 1x5

PR!! Delighted, heaviest weight I ever pulled in my life. Previously my best ever deadlift was 127.5 x 3 and I was 92kg at the time. Plenty of grunting and screaming but we got there. Buzzing. Also nailed one of my original goals of bodyweight x 1.75, onwards to the double!!

Pull-ups
    2x7

Felt guilty about sacking them off.

Week 11 Session 3

Nearly three months down now, no major bodily changes bar my quads doubling in size and me resembling a centaur these days. Very happy with today, weight is moving nicely. My only worry is that my lower back is getting a bit knackered with the constant heavy squatting. I'll run this another couple of months I think but soon I'm going to have to row back on the three squatting sessions a week.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    72.5kg x 3
    95kg x 2
    107.5kg 3x5

Banging stuff here, no stiff reps and felt much stronger than I did last week. It's mad how you can die at one weight and do a heavier one no bother.

Bench Press
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 4
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    72.5kg 3x5

Again happy as a ham. Weight was challenging but didn't cause a huge issue and no sticking or grinding. My only quandary now is whether to jump to 75 or start my 1kg microloads. Shoulder felt steady.

Dumbell one armed Row
    36kg 3 x 5 each side

Chin ups
    1x10, 1x9, 1x5

Crap. No stamina.

Heavy bag x 3mins. Realised 6 months out of the ring has me an uncoordinated mess who punches like a small girl.

Week 12 Session 1

"Please stop! He's already dead!"

Today was great to be honest, a few new PRs and a general sense I'm edging into intermediate glory as opposed to wretched novice mediocrity. If my thighs get any bigger I'll literally become a centaur which is the only drawback so far. That and me worrying about my discs exploding all over the power rack with constant squatting. Definitely nearing the end of linear progression for the squats I think.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    95kg x 2
    110kg 3x5

Boom. Big PR here for me, pretty much at BWx1.5 which was a goal from the outset. The three days increasing is just going to come at the price of form so I'm going to introduce a lighter squat day on Wednesday and pack on a kilo per Monday and Friday. I still think there's gains to be made from linear progression on the other lifts so will keep it up a while longer.

Press deload #1 contd
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 4
    40kg x 3
    45kg 4x5

Bar is definitely starting to slow down again as I creep back toward 50kg. Form is getting better I think.

Pull-ups
    2x8

Laziness

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    100kg x 2
    110kg x 1
    135kg x5

Serious PR again for me, buzzing. This was easier than last week and I was in bed last night studying form. Kept the bar scraping my shins throughout and took the time before each rep to engage lats. I was dizzy after and it felt brutally heavy but also good. I'd say my max wouldn't be too far off double bodyweight which I had no intention to reach 3 months ago.

I still consider myself a relative novice, tbh.

If you want some deadlift reading, have a read of this How To Deadlift by Greg Nuckols. You'll like it.

I still consider myself a relative novice, tbh.

If you want some deadlift reading, have a read of this How To Deadlift by Greg Nuckols. You'll like it.

Looks like a great read, I'll horse into that after I wash the blood and tears from my face. I'm definitely still a novice and my form is probably brutal, I'll get herself to do a few videos this weekend.

• Advertisement

Keep them clean!

Advertisement