Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still waiting for stuff from China?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

....... wrote: »

If the value is €50 or €500 the amount of work they have to do is the same so they charge the same. I cant understand why this is so difficult for people to understand.

if the value was €20 they wouldn't have to do the same work. there is nothing to collect so they wouldn't have to do the customs paperwork, create an invoice and then get the postman to collect the money would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If the value is €50 or €500 the amount of work they have to do is the same so they charge the same. I cant understand why this is so difficult for people to understand.

if the value was €20 they wouldn't have to do the same work. there is nothing to collect so they wouldn't have to do the customs paperwork, create an invoice and then get the postman to collect the money would they?

Not strictly correct. My son gets loads of stuff with a big green sticker from An Post starting Opened by Customs so they do some work for nothing or least in the hope of getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

my3cents wrote: »
    Not strictly correct. My son gets loads of stuff with a big green sticker from An Post starting Opened by Customs so they do some work for nothing or least in the hope of getting paid.

That’s customs opening the package to check the declaration is correct, as there is a load of under valuation on shipments coming from China to try and avoid vat and duty for the customer in Ireland.. What the previous poster is referring to is the work of doing a customs entry which is done by the courier company, and is the same process regardless of value.. people complaining about being charged a tenner for this is a bit petty.. I have worked for two different freight companies and the going rate outside the courier market for a customs entry is between €35 and €65 for a basic one line/tariff entry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That’s customs opening the package to check the declaration is correct, as there is a load of under valuation on shipments coming from China to try and avoid vat and duty for the customer in Ireland.. What the previous poster is referring to is the work of doing a customs entry which is done by the courier company, and is the same process regardless of value.. people complaining about being charged a tenner for this is a bit petty.. I have worked for two different freight companies and the going rate outside the courier market for a customs entry is between €35 and €65 for a basic one line/tariff entry

So you are saying more than one person opens a package to check it? Both customs and An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So you are saying more than one person opens a package to check it? Both customs and An Post.

Customs operate in the An Post facility. They have x-ray and sniffer dogs available to them there, so if a package is suspicious they’ll open it.

If it’s a single line entry, the work is the same whether it’s an import worth €26 or €10,000. Vat advance fee will be higher, though. I don’t see why it would matter to anyone in An Post/couriers what the value is, if it’s over the value for customs it has to be cleared anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have worked for two different freight companies and the going rate outside the courier market for a customs entry is between €35 and €65 for a basic one line/tariff entry

Love to know how many man minutes that takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

ED E wrote: »
    Love to know how many man minutes that takes.

Can be 5 minutes or can be an hour plus.. Depends on a couple of factors..

An post don’t open a package, the do a customs entry which is an electronic process.. Customs can open a package if they see fit.

• Advertisement

12/3/2017 2:17:09 PM FullShipped All items have been shipped.
    Arrived Today (Forged Signature too)

33 days via NL
    11/24/2017 2:38:14 PM Partial Shipment Your order has been partially Shipped
    Arrived Today

42 days direct from CN
    11/30/2017 9:07:24 AM FullShipped All items have been shipped.
    Outstanding
    Dec 12, 2017
    07:12 pm
    Fuzhou (China) Fuzhou (China)
    Outstanding

Can be 5 minutes or can be an hour plus.. Depends on a couple of factors..

For a pallet?

My point being, regular B2C mail packets are typically classifiable and able to be dealt with in a few minutes by an operative that does it day in day out. So lets say its 20/hr, that €200 for an operative thats paid €15, with AP. More with the others.

For a pallet?

My point being, regular B2C mail packets are typically classifiable and able to be dealt with in a few minutes by an operative that does it day in day out. So lets say its 20/hr, that €200 for an operative thats paid €15, with AP. More with the others.

Don’t do too many B2C myself.. but 20/hr would be one every 3 mins, very good going.. anyone that’s getting paid €15 to do that job is in the wrong company though.. 30K a year to do painful customs entries dealing with customers who haven’t a clue.. could get half as much again working for a customer brokerage or freight forwarder as a broker

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

For a pallet?

Every single item may have a different classification. They may be subject to different duty rates, quotas, anti-dumping duties, excise. They may be mis-declared, fake, have no paperwork.
    Do up the customs entry - someone has to be trained to do this, I’d guess more than one.
    Send it down the line and wait for a routing back.
    Organise inspection depending on the routing,
    organise the COD when it goes green.
    In 3 minutes. And this is An Post who are surely going to bust a hump to get everything done quickly? 4 or 5 an hour might be realistic, not 20.

There are still a couple of customs clearance agents in Ireland. You should ring them and ask for a quote for a Customs entry. I’d be surprised if they’ll be less than €30 for a one line entry.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Every single item may have a different classification. They may be subject to different duty rates, quotas, anti-dumping duties, excise. They may be mis-declared, fake, have no paperwork.
    Do up the customs entry - someone has to be trained to do this, I’d guess more than one.
    Send it down the line and wait for a routing back.
    Organise inspection depending on the routing,
    organise the COD when it goes green.
    In 3 minutes. And this is An Post who are surely going to bust a hump to get everything done quickly? 4 or 5 an hour might be realistic, not 20.

There are still a couple of customs clearance agents in Ireland. You should ring them and ask for a quote for a Customs entry. I’d be surprised if they’ll be less than €30 for a one line entry.

Going rate for a customs entry is €50-€65.. that’s for regular customers.. a one off COD customer who hasn’t a clue what’s involved and needs you to pay the Vat.. most customs brokers would say no thanks or want an outlay fee( have seen 1% being charged) on top

Going rate for a customs entry is €50-€65.. that’s for regular customers.. a one off COD customer who hasn’t a clue what’s involved and needs you to pay the Vat.. most customs brokers would say no thanks or want an outlay fee( have seen 1% being charged) on top

That’s what the couriers do, I think it’s usually 2.5%, with a minimum of €12.50-15.00.

Jaysus....€50-65....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    Last 2 days - 2 deliveries. 38 and 37 days respectively. Not bad at all. :)
    Another one arrived yesterday - 37 days as well.

However still waiting for 1 or 2 items posted in november.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,290 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Yesterday I received a battery pack that I had ordered on the 15th November from Banggood. It shipped on the 19th November.. Just 7 weeks

I had given up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

CH3OH wrote: »
    Yesterday I received a battery pack that I had ordered on the 15th November from Banggood. It shipped on the 19th November.. Just 7 weeks

I had given up on it

Yeah I wonder if there's a big backlog in An Post or something?

I finally received a phone cover yesterday that I ordered first week of November. 8 weeks.

Ordered a few small things off aliexpress and elsewhere last year (all 10 to 20 euro) and it was a reasonable 3 weeks or so from start to finish. Volumes must be increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Stuff from china is always delayed at the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Free, untracked, low value packet mail from China (Dx.com).

Dispatched 9 days ago:
    UK (residential) arrived TODAY. 9 days.
    IRL (residential) no sign yet, doubt we'll see it before mid Jan.

Says it all.

Arrived Thursday. 34 days. Same seller, dispatched same day from Shenzen.

Arrived Today (Forged Signature too)

33 days via NL

Arrived Today

42 days direct from CN

Outstanding

Outstanding

Also arrived Friday, similar timeframes ~40 days.
    Something I actually need now, left Guangzhou on the 15th. No sign with AP.
    DELIVERED

Jan 10, 2018
    11:39 am
    Delivered,china-ems

Dec 15, 2017
    10:20 am
    Leaving parcel center Zhongshan (China) Guangzhou (China)()china-ems

福州市
    Dec 12, 2017
    07:12 pm
    Fuzhou (China) Fuzhou (China)Shipment received()china-ems

This one wasn't so bad. That said, it was bigger and registered not signed for. Parcel not packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    [...] still waiting for 1 or 2 items posted in november.

None of aforementioned items came yet, but surprisingly one I bought on 26th Dec instead - free untracked postage took only 20 days! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bought a small thing (€1) from Aliexpress.
    It's tracking on www.17track.net is great, it even details the Lufthansa flight the package is taking. The time the flight is leaving and it's estimated arrival time. Who knows, it might tell me the reg of the post office van too.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Does Singapore post ever get updated from "Arrival at destination post"? Been stuck on that since the 27th so hoping it'll arrive this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ordered cheap €50 phone 12th dec arrived via pm 13th Jan. Bought from deal extreme and sent via Singapore pist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Dispatched 20th November from Nanjing ,China .
    Arrived in the post today, item value less than 1 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nadnerb77

I ordered two items from China on the same date.One item sent to Derry the other sent to Donegal on Dec 23Th 2017 The Royal Mail delivered this on 12th jan still no sign of an post delivery one week later

MOD merge. Please don’t re-open 3 year old threads, especially when there is this mega thread on the first page. Thanks.

as an experiment paid for an item to go to uk and to Ireland through parcel wizard.
    previous order from same site coming through same initial postage method through an post.

Result

Sing Post -> An Post 6 weeks
    Sing Post -> Royal Mail -> Parcel Wizard 3 weeks

Dispatch times were similar (exact same I think actually at 3 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Ordered 128gb pny memory card from Geek website in China on 11/1/18, arrived this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ordered 128gb pny memory card from Geek website in China on 11/1/18, arrived this morning!

Is it genuine? How much? Ta.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement