Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Something I've learned from watching this show for the last 2 weeks: Comedians, when they're not doing comedy, are a boring aul sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Totally true. They seem to struggle with out an audience to get a sense of if it's going well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

First guest was brilliant and very intelligent too. How you could find her boring is beyond me. She is an amazing woman.

Secobd guest was boring. Have not watched the third one yet will watch later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ottolwinner

Interesting to get her insight on it all the same. I suppose there was learning in it without googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Show was a bit meh!

The lady was very articulate but at same time didn't really give much away. There were times she seemed offended by some of the questions, which were all fairly neutral.

McSavage, don't know much about him. He didn't seem comfortable at all. There's a thing with some comedians a lot seem very close to depression.

I nearly turned off when Arthur came on....knew nothing about him other than Brian's husband and a dancer. Thought the interview would be a total over the top flamboyant fluff piece. However it was a great interview. He certainly has had an "interesting" life. His teenage years must have been so awful and scary. Fair play to him for getting through it and flourishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Rfrip

whats the worst that could happen, auditioning for fair city

Tommy: you could be on it!

I follow Arthur on social media, have heard his story many times but that was totally different, think it was just possibly without Brian his husband next to him interrupting or trying to be funny.

great song to end to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Time to wrap the show up. Shambolic stuff last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Listen, this format might have seemed new and quirky when it first appeared. The wild comedian fella with no filter pretending to meet a guest without knowing anything about them. “Did you use to think with your Mickey”?

Now they’ve ran out of guests, the audience is gone, and Tiernan is coming across as a more guttural version of Brendan Grace

How much is this thing costing the licence fee payer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

Was thinking the same after last night. Its become as tired and formulated as every other show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭spakman

It hasn't, for the simple reason that most other 'chat shows' (and I'm not sure Tommy Tiernan show falls into that category) just use the same 'celebs' who are in town to promote their latest book/film/show and they are answering the same questions they've been asked a hundred times, and it's all very safe and bland and shite.

Tommy still has guests like the first lady last night, and even Brian Dowlings husband (can't remember his name) who have an interesting story to tell that isn't related to promotion!

He could definitely do with taking a break from having other comedians on, the last two seem to have fairly serious issues going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

Well, he uses someone from his circle of comedian friends almost evert week. And everyone from Co Meath including his former teacher.

The guest might not be selling a book, what has become predictable for me is, I now can guess the paused question Tommy is about to ask.

And it does have its fair share of guests with a story of a lost limb etc.

What was refreshing has turned stale for me. Not sure I want to sit for an hour through it any more on a Saturday night. I feel if there happens to be an interesting guest I can catch it on YouTube if I want rather than sit through the whole show.

Tiernan is best enjoyed in very small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

McSavage whatever people know about him - he is at least a different strain of comedy. Terrible interview gained no insight at all. The show has run its course - it’s an exercise in counting all the obvious questions he fails to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Magown3

At a comedy gig years ago he called me gay in front of the audience and to me, that was the lowest rung of comedy and I've held a grudge against him ever since... until last night.

After that interview, I just feel sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Two really good guests last night. Arthur was just lovely and so was the first guest.

The middle guest was a dick. No other word for it. Jeez I do not like to think hiw is children are if he curses like that all the time. It's a sign of a weak mind.

Sorry, you’ve completely lost me.

Was McSavage ever actually funny? The Savage Eye had its moments but he wasn’t the principal writer for the show. Some of it was shockingly unfunny and cruel as well though. His standup was always shambolic - some posh knob from South Dublin screaming abuse at nurses, culchies, foreigners etc isn’t funny.

He just seems like a very angry guy. No genuine humour there at all. A boomer trying to be shocking on TV is total cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭briany

Still the best chat show on TV. Amazing first guest. McSavage a bit flat, like he always has his guard up, and Brian Dowling's missus was fun. Even if I don't personally enjoy every guest, I'll still watch for the occasion where a nerve gets hit and a piece of very real conversation develops, which is what takes it above every other chat show currently on TV that are all just very surface-level and safe.

Everyone else can go watch Angela Scanon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

McSavage was very on guard and nervous, even from his introduction saying sorry. There's a reason the Late, Late didn't have him on for 13 years, too unpredictable I'd say. Dylan Moran is supposed to be difficult to interview as well, so he did about as well as you are going to do with those two

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭briany

Savage Eye is the best sketch comedy television program that RTE ever produced, and although that's a bit like winning the junior infants' egg and spoon race when you're 10, I still think it holds up. I don't know how much of the comedy McSavage actually wrote, but he performs his bits well. I can't believe he got away with doing the following (from the 'Racism' episode I think ,

Dublin taxi man: I'll tell ya, I don't have much time for all dese blacks...

McSavage: You think that's bad? I f&#* children.

Dublin taxi man: Ya wah??!

McSavage: Oh, don't get me wrong...They're black children

Dublin taxi man: Oh! Well, that's alright then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It can’t be great all of the time - one of the guests on Saturday night was an awful bore, one was very average - it’s only an hour long show so that’s gonna hurt- last weeks show was good - it’s still one of the best chat shows around - but it’s hugely dependent on the guests playing ball.

I wouldn’t be calling for its retirement just yet. But I think Tommy could do some great interviewing if 1, he had a good guest and 2, more time with that guest.

Tommy has talent for interviewing - at least a hell of a lot more talent than any current host in RTÉ land and many previous ones- from day 1 this is and was the exact format of his show- if the shows guests had been engaging on Saturday night, I don’t think you’d be calling the format stale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I did sit through an entire show, once. Got free tickets so said I'd see what he's like. Awful stuff. Just didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks but no thanks.

I'll stick with Pat Short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Who was the principal writer then? I don't know myself, although IMDB seems to say that it's David McSavage.

Series Writing Credits 

David McSavage...(24 episodes, 2009-2014)

John Colleary...(1 episode, 2012)

Patrick McDonnell...(1 episode, 2012)

Dermot McMorrow...(1 episode, 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

Tiernan loves the misery.

Whatever you think of McSavage and before him Moran, they are interesting and funny charachters but Tiernan, like Tubridy, just cant help dive into the negativity.

Such an over rated presenter. The format makes the show, not him.

Advertisement