Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I always thought that McSavage show was rubbish or might occasionally raise a smile at best, from memory I think "Bull Island" was the best comedy skit show Ireland produced.

As others have said the "Savage Eye"/McSavage. He always seemed/seems very disturbed. Just disturbingly odd. I love the irony that no one accuses him of nepotism given his family connections in the media/politics. Is it because he presents himself as anti-establishment? His brand of "comedy" is more the "edgy" student demographic and now he is pushing 60 and past it.

As for The Tommy Tiernan show. When I saw the list of people on it (I did not watch the latest episode) I honestly assumed it was a wind up. McSavage and Jason Byrne... Jayus. Always odd to interview. The only joke I ever found funny from Byrne was the one where he used a Venetian blind as prop and pretended to be an "Irish mammy". He was also in an undercover prank programme I seem to remember which was OK.

As for Tommy Tiernan he is a way better presenter IMO (in this format) than he ever was/is as a "comedian". He just shouts and jumps around like a mental patent in his 'Comedy" for the most part. Like the friend in the pub who thinks he is funny when you are 18-25 ish. Which basically entails shouting as loud as possible, putting on a stupid voice, jumping around the place like a mad eejit.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but Tommy's most famous and IMO only funny joke is the "Jesus I can see your house from here" joke?

But I think Tommy should not have other past it "comedians" or even comedians on his show.

1) He knows them, they have little to "find out"

2) Comedians are really disturbed individuals (for the most part maybe with the exception of the likes of Ardal O'Hanlon) it just ends up being a really awkward live "therapy session" with "Dr Tommy". Who loves a "bang of sadness" off a guest.

Tommy literally once seriously said phrase "There is a bang of sadness of ya" to one of his guests. Nathan Carter (the singer) I believe it was. While Tommy was trying to be deadly serious. Ironically it was the most awkward uncomfortably/funny/odd interview I saw broadcast for a long time.

But that "guest list" from the last show reads "lads we are stuck" just get McSavage and Byrne on they will go on any show at short notice. Which is how I can imagine the producers chat behind the scenes. "Great to have on a few depressed/disturbed 'comedians'..... Tommy loves that lads!"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭briany

Savage Eye was great. I'm not claiming it was Chris Morris level comedy by any stretch, but as I say, better than any other sketch show RTE ever made. I remember that I watched Bull Island, but it made so little an impression on me that all I can remember is Michael Sheridan's Jackie Healy Rae. The Savage Eye was much more absurd, and not just impressions of the day's Irish politicians. Just for the Catholic church intros alone, it was nearly worth airing, with my particular favourite being the father and son at the museum looking at a painting of a priest, then the father turns away for one second, then looks back to see his child trapped in the painting with the priest, crying.

Or this. This was brilliant.

If nothing else, Savage Eye was a departure from the very low-hanging fruit paddywhackery, to an, er, more sophisticated form of paddywhackery.

I enjoy the fact that Tiernan's interviews can sometimes go awry, and that he could ask a completely miscalculated question, because that's what can happen in human interaction from time to time, and it's good the show reflects that as opposed to the homogenised, vacuum packed, dry and safe thing that virtually all other shows of that kind have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

I wouldn’t be calling for its retirement just yet. But I think Tommy could do some great interviewing if 1, he had a good guest and 2, more time with that guest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely, as this is recorded he has time with the guest and what we see is what's considered to be the best of the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭briany

Retire the Tommy Tiernan Show and you can guarantee that something not as good will fill the slot, so careful what you wish for. Then again, the professional complainers would secretly be delighted by Vapid Chat w/ Vogue Williams.

Yes, the interviews are chopped down. TV and radio is fundamentally hamstrung by a schedule which makes almost zero sense in this day and age when everything can be on demand and programme lengths don't actually matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭John arse

Basically because Tiernan can be a very poor interviewer, and has zero filter it can make for an entertaining show.

But there is one thing that annoys/throws Tiernan the most is when guests seem happy, it throws him.

He does one of two things keeps quizzing them in the hope that they "break" (like with Nathan Carter). Or look on them with amazement and congratulate their attitude as an example for others (like the woman with robotic arm).

If there happens to be a misery guts/socially awkward/guarded individual on it just does not work in this format and Tommy's own nature at trying to embrace/revel in melancholy sadness just makes it worse. The guests have to be talkers and not one dimensional. That is why the Roy Keane interview did not work he was guarded/safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was an interview with a lad (who's name escapes me) from Cork in one of the early series that I thought was fascinating. He was an ex-drug addict who had turned his life around and was now helping young people in his local area to avoid those pitfalls. He was really well able to speak and the interview worked well with Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is is indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Westernview

I like Tommy but I kind of agree. It's into season 8 now so that's a long time for any presenter on one particular show and I think Tommy is showing signs of being a bit jaded with it these days.

Wonder would a new presenter revitalise it? It's a good format in my view and at it's best was far better than most of the stuff on at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Funeral humour is a good way to describe it.

To be fair, if you want happy clappy, then Kielty is there on a Friday.

It needs to be a bit different, but it does feel like he has turned into this persona a little bit.

Brendan O'Connor on the radio is an obvious comparison, and he seems to move between light and heavy a bit more easily and naturally than TT.

Actually if they wanted to shake it up, they could have other interviewers in the TT role. Share it out. He could do ten weeks, someone else could do ten weeks. Notable absence of female voices on the talkshows at RTE at present, would be one way to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

Brendan O'Connor!?

That fella had a chat show years ago and it was nearly as bad as Ray D'Arcy's effort.

I can't listen to O'Connor on the radio and it's not just his whiney Cork accent - if anyone gives their opinion, he immediately jumps in to give the counter argument, he doesn't let any conversation flow. He's a terrible host IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Westernview

Perfect....Because it wouldn't be at all scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I know it's there online anytime you want but it shouldn't be on a Saturday night. It's a midweek programme if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Ah here, Chris Morris wasnt a bad right back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah The Savage Eye could be great, really funny stuff.

By the end though it'd lost a lot of steam and had veered into some mean spirited not funny jokes.

I would agree with you that Tommy is only as good the guests he has. If the guest is not talkative and open it ends up being awful. The best interview by far of this series I would pick his chat with Michael D. He was on flying form and well able for Tommy. Kept Tommy on his toes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What image is he trying to create?

Saw him on in the box last week and I said to my wife, how old do you think he is? She guessed about 70 or maybe 72 ish ....

He does look much older than he really is, I wonder is it deliberate?

I looked up his age there he is only in his 50's - 54. definitely does it on purpose I think. Goes for the windswept. bohemian. philosopher, vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's all the salt in the sea air, turns everyone crusty 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Gotta make that pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Ah you got to like Bradley. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bradley seems like he's been on the Guinness

Advertisement