Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB...that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Might be a good time to fire up some 2023 Goals I suppose.

* The overarching goal will be to have more fun/less pressure.....large chunks of last year seemed pretty grim in hindsight due to looming beast of the marathon so that shouldn't be a factor this year hopefully.

* Race more - as per above, I only raced 3 times last year 😔 (DCM, Charleville and a 10 Miler in sweltering heat in May)

* Keep my mileage high...I have a habit of getting sucked into focusing on speed sessions and neglecting the long runs so will keep an eye on that.

* Cross Country...gave it a miss last year due to DCM

* 10K PB...feels like a very long time since I ran a 10K 😬 This weekend coming waaaay too soon but looking forward to it...a sub 45 mins would be grand giving the state of my training since November. After that, the Adare 10K is not that far away but if I can get a decent block of consistent training in then a sub-39:01 might be on the cards.

* 5K PB...this will probably happen at a ParkRun unless some event pops up in the meantime...my current marker of 18:34 was set during a lockdown TT so will use that course again if all else fails.

* 10 Mile PB...my original plan would have been to be in prime shape right now and go and smash this in Dungarvan but that was quoshed initially by a hamstring niggle and killed off by the flu episode.

Mallow is the only one I've signed up for so far...had a pipe dream about the Great South Run in October as well. Sub 63:30 is the target....the last few miles of Charleville has given me confidence that this is achievable.

No plans at the moment to do a Half Marathon, although I might pop into the one in Limerick if everything syncs up.

Post edited by Cartman78 on

Some more housekeeping...

Garmin Bullsh1t Predicted Times Update:

5K - 19:46 🤔

10K - 43:08 🧐

Half Marathon - 1:42 🙈

Marathon - 3:50 😂

WEEK BEGINNING 09/01/2023

Finally felt like I got going a bit this week.

4 runs during the week - nothing spectacular at all, started off with some intervals on Monday and followed up with 3 standard shortish steady runs (<8K).

Normally not a fan of running in the wind particularly and dodging puddles is never ideal but felt good to be out.

Expectations were low enough heading out for the 10K today....only for the start line is 500m from my house I wouldn't have bothered tbh 😂

TOM WALSH MEMORIAL 10K

I normally start of race reports with an outline of my journey but no need in this case.

Walked out the door around 12, quick tog out in the community centre, a brief warm up and catching up with a few people from the club and ready for off at 12:30.

Positioned myself in between the 40 mins and 45 mins pacers and hit out on the long and challenging first 4K out the main road.

It's a road I drive every day and it's one of those one's that you wouldn't notice the incline in a car but it's a killer running or cycling.

Got to halfway handy enough all the same, although any half baked notions of a surprise sub 40 were firmly out the window...

1. 4:00

2. 4:02

3. 3:59

4. 4:06

5. 4:08

Started to tire a bit on the rolling hills after that....legs felt fine but that lower back/side pain was starting to flare a bit. It happened in the marathon as well and on a couple of long runs... actually not sure what it is tbh..it's not a million miles off a kidney stone style sensation so might have to get it checked at some point 😬

Anyway was ploughing away grand and decided to take one of my famous Tactical Walking Breaks™ to give my body a rest.

Took 30 seconds and started running again but didn't quite manage to reel in the 5 lads who trundled past me in the 30 seconds break.

6. 4:06

7. 4:09

8. 4:42

9. 4:19

10. 3:48

Crossed the line in 41:22 which wasn't bad I guess taking recent weeks shenanigans into account.

I think I've been sick and/or injured for most January's in the last 10 years so getting to the start line was a bonus in itself.

This week should be similar enough to last week probably (weather permitting) with a longer run thrown in at some point.

WEEK BEGINNING 16/01/2023

Sigh....was so close to making it through January unscathed 😔

Felt grand after the 10K and had the gear all set to go for Monday..... although realized that I'd forgotten to pack shorts at a crucial point on togging out 😳

Got out for a solid 8K on Tuesday no problem, then got wheezy & short of breath on Wednesday and have basically been sick and zonked on steroids and antibiotics since 😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬

I seem to get the worst possible version of every bug that comes into the house...it seems that this dose is a common post flu bacterial infection 😕

So running plans up in smoke yet again

So yet another January and February gone absolutely arseways 🙄😡😓😟😥😢😢🙁🫤

Ended up being reasonably sick for a couple of weeks and the hangover from all the meds wasn't pleasant either.

Was just getting over that when I got an all too familiar pain in my right hand side/lower back..... would have bet my house on it being another kidney stone event but a trip to A&E and a CT scan suggested otherwise so have to go down a whole other route now to get it in investigated/sorted 🙄

Back doing some light jogging....Mallow 10 Miler very much in the balance, will probably give it a go but it won't be pretty 🙈

• Advertisement

WEEK BEGINNING 27/02/2023

Kinda back to something approaching normal (I think).

4 runs last week all at slowish pace and under 8K....did a longer run yesterday (12K) which was a bit of a struggle but just felt good to be back out tbh.

Got a couple of cycles in as well (15K) so hopefully a productive spring ahead.

Also starting to look at online shoe sales so the credit card might be getting a workout soon as well 😂

WEEK BEGINNING 06/03/2023

Another bizarro up and down week...went out for a gentle run on Monday after which my knee got fairly sore.

Never had an issue with knees before so was a bit confused....took a few days off, the dire weather made this easy.

Got out for a spin on the bike on Friday and a pain free 6K yesterday. Did 20 miles on the bike today in the lashing rain which was a bit of a grind but felt good to be doing something that felt like a challenge.

The knee feels grand now again....I suspect my old foe gluten might be to blame. Have been tweaking my diet lately so I'm assuming that's the probable source of inflammation...not a fan of self diagnosis but it's such a nebulous area there's no other option.

Shoe News: expecting a pair of Puma Velocity Nitros to arrive on Tuesday...my current stable of runners have a lot of miles on them so time for a refresh.

Unexpected potential Dublin Marathon entry news: got an email at work saying that a limited number or entries had become available....I totally ignored it initially but replied with an expression of interest the following day 😬. There's going to be a draw at the end of the month.... 😬 😬..stay tuned 😂

My number for Mallow arrived today 🙈

Might go down for a jog around.... maybe... possibly... potentially

WEEK BEGINNING 13/03/2023

Four runs this week....all fairly slow and somewhere between 6K and 7K.

My Garmin tells me I'm 'Productive' but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it....legs are heavy and generally feel sluggish.

The Velocity Nitros arrived on time - haven't ran in them yet but they performed well at Laser Tag yesterday 😂

Will wait and see about Mallow....if I go it'll be for social reasons rather than athletic ambitions.

WEEK BEGINNING 20/03/2023

Started the week off with a half decent 9K tempo-ish followed by a more sedate lunchtime plod on Tuesday.

Wednesday was a washout so turned into a rest day. Did a horrible 10K on Thursday....wasn't aiming to go fast or anything but just felt awful... heavy legs and pain in my side...had to take a few walking breaks 😒

Hopped on the bike on Friday and battled the wind for 15K.

Was still far from certain on whether I'd go Mallow...got back late enough from the Limerick v Tipp match last night and half-heartedly took down the Vaporflys from the attic (to let the air at them 😜).

To be honest, I still wasn't sure this morning...that 10K earlier in the week didn't inspire confidence at all. But I ploughed on...

MALLOW 10 MILE

Not a whole lot to report really but it was an unexpectedly solid outing.

Positioned myself well down the field at the start with the loose plan of taking it easy, no walking breaks and a sub-80 mins.

I'd completely forgotten the course...it's probably 5 years since I did this event. Overall it's pretty flat...no major drags and no stretches exposed to the elements.

I was working my way through the various pace groups... there's a lot to be said for passing loads of people out rather than the other way around.

Didn't quite have an explosive sprint finish in the tank but my last 2K were my fastest nonetheless.

5K - 22:45

10K - 45:07

15K - 66:55

10 Mile - 71:46

Happy enough overall following very low expectations and poor quality and quantity of training.

There was a fair few bemused people at the end looking for cake and tea....not sure what the story was with it but wasn't hanging around either way.

I've got my hands on a Great Limerick Run entry so will have to make a call on either the half marathon or the 6 miler 🤔

• Advertisement

WEEK BEGINNING 27/03/2023

Not a bad week overall I guess....glad to see the long evenings but still feel like I'm running in treacle a bit.

Struggled again on my local 10K loop...it's very hilly so maybe that's draining my current fitness levels. Did another short slowish run, a half decent set of 8 x 800s and a seasonal PB on my 10m cycle course.

Got my Covid booster yesterday morning, was tied up with a few bits and bobs in the afternoon so used a small window of time to have a go at.... (drum roll 🥁)...a 5K TT 😎

I knew I wasn't in peak condition by any stretch but no harm maybe just to put down a marker....the course is a flattish out and back with the prevailing wind in your face on the way out...felt grand for the first km (4:00) but the subtle drag and the wind kicked in and things slipped a bit from there on...huffed and puffed to halfway and trotted home in 20:45.

Felt ok after it...had half planned a longer run today but feeling a bit wiped out after the booster tbh so took it handy.

No major plans for the week really...gonna break out my new shiny Puma Velocity Nitros tomorrow (was waiting for dry weather 😂).

Still not sure about GLR race choice...slightly leaning towards the half, might have a look at another 10 Miler in two weeks time as well in Limerick Racecourse

Got a place in DCM in the draw at work...

WEEK BEGINNING 03/04/2023

So I guess I'm base building for the DCM 😂😬🙈😝

Running away solid enough but energy and enthusiasm not at optimum levels...yet.

Finally broke out the Pumas on Monday for a decent 45 min 10K effort, then a short and slow run on Tuesday, a slower 10K on Thursday and 14K slow yesterday. Also set a new seasonal PB for my 15.5K bike loop.

Had planned to squeeze in another quick run today but didn't get a chance to go before the Mayo match, and after spending 3.5hrs sitting in the wind and rain in Castlebar, I didn't fancy a run afterwards tbh.

Hopefully more of the same this week...it feels a bit chicken and egg atm...will my mojo return if I run more ? Or should I wait for mojo to return first? 😆😝😛🥴

WEEK BEGINNING 17/04/2023

Started the week with an early set of 8 x 800m up in my local soccer pitch in Mayo...seems like about a month ago now for some reason but they went well 😂

Looking at the numbers there the average was probably around 3:17 or so.

Then missed out on Tuesday and Wednesday due to the dire weather mainly.

Back at it with mid paced 12K on Thursday, a marginally faster 8K on Friday and a slow 10K last night.

Popped on the Vaporflys today then for a "long" slow run in the sun... churned out 18K in relative comfort.

Only after realizing there that I've ran 4 days in a row which would have been inconceivable a few years ago 😙

So not bad all things considered...57K for the week.

Things will come to a crashing halt tomorrow however - going for a bronchoscopy in the morning so likely to be out of action for a couple of days at least.

Shoes News:

Have a pair of Zoom Fly 5 on the way 😎.... sounds like Nike have reinvented these as a slower more long distance shoe than previous versions so will be a welcome addition to the roster...

Daily/Easy Runs:

Pegasus x 2 (1 new, 130K)

Puma Velocity Nitros (50K)

Sessions:

Zoom Fly 3 (<100K)

NB 1400 (<80K)

Long Runs:

Zoom Fly 5 (new),

Vaporflys (160K)

Races:

Ekiden Vaporflys (new)

I have a bunch of old Pegs and a pair of beloved NB 1080 that I need to retire asap...all with 700+K on them so time to move on to walking and gardening duty 😁

WEEK BEGINNING 24/04/2023

Another topsy turvy and ultimately frustrating week 😐

The bronchoscopy went grand in the end....was a bit zonked after it tbh so didn't venture out until Thursday and a gentle 8K.

Followed this up on Friday with a decent 9K tempo and then broke out my new Zoom Flys on Saturday for a very satisfying and effortless 20K....all going swimmingly ahead of GLR next week.....

PLOT TWIST ...

Came back from underage football training yesterday morning and felt a bit snuffly...high pollen count? Yep...deffo. Vegged on the couch watching hurling for a bit and then hopped on the bike for a light 18K....came back had a shower and was suddenly freezing 🥶....whipped out the thermometer...it was sky high so then whipped out a COVID test and yep...2 solid lines ffs 🤬🤬🤬

The kids and missus have tested positive as well and we're all under the weather now big time 😔

So barring a miracle recovery, I'm not going to make the half on Sunday....it was a bit of a free hit anyway so not too bothered.

The Zoom Flys were very nice to run in....felt like I could have ran 80K in them on Saturday.

Anyway, it's back to a retro COVID sick house lock in for a few days

WEEK BEGINNING 24/04/2023

(Just noticed my week beginning naming convention went arseways a couple of weeks ago but can't change it now 😆)

Anyway this week was a diabolical blend of wheezing, strong meds, lying on the couch watching snooker and generally feeling zonked 😵‍💫😵‍💫

Finished the antibiotics yesterday so starting to feel halfway normal again....very frustrating to have to start from borderline scratch again but could be worse I guess.

Did 8K today very gingerly indeed but it was more for mental welfare than anything else tbh....the next few days will be fairly gentle exercise wise

WEEK BEGINNING 01/05/2023

Happy to report I seem to have bounced back fairly well from recent COVID shenanigans.

Followed up the Sunday 8K plod with similar efforts on Monday and Tuesday.

Did some hill repeats on Wednesday while the young fella was at soccer training - all good in the hood...so much so that I attempted a 10K tempo run on Thursday @ 4:30ish pace. It went well generally but took a TWB (Tactical Walking Break) around 8K as the energy levels dipped a bit.

Hopped on the bike on Friday for 18K.

Yesterday was the usual chaos of underage soccer and Dunnes trolley dash....my schedule miraculously opened up somehow in the afternoon so I went for my LSR around UL...21.3K at 4:52 pace.

Felt comfortable throughout....really liking the Zoom Flys at that pace and distance.

Had half planned another outing today but felt a tad leggy and figured there's no point pushing too hard atm.

No major plans for the week.... wouldn't mind doing a race or two in the next few weeks but nothing jumping out...seems to be a glut of 4 milers on locally for some reason, it's not a distance that I like for some reason so might hang on for a 10K if I can find one

WEEK BEGINNING 08/05/2023

Another ok week I think....no long run but fairly consistent all the same.

Started off the week with a slowish 8K followed by a slowish 12K on Wednesday evening.

Mixed it up with some 1K intervals on the Tuesday....aimed to run 4 x 1K @ THMP (with 1K slow as recovery after each interval)... probably went nearer 10K pace almost by accident...felt good to be cruising at that pace tbh.

Did another slow run on Thursday lunchtime and due to calendar blockage I had only a tiny window of time on Friday so hit out to attempt a 5K TT....went out too quick (3:47) and laboured a bit after that...puffed over the line in 20:01 which was mildly annoying but a seasonal best so I'll take it for now.

The weekend was a write off in terms of training...busy all day Saturday and we had the County Juvenile Athletics yesterday so was tied up with that pretty much all day.

Again no major plans for the week...have a couple of niggles floating around so booked physio for next Monday.

Considering the Portumna Half as well in early June but may not be a goer I think looking at the family Google calendar 😂

WEEK BEGINNING 10/05/2023

Felt tired all week - not sure if I'm veering into overtraining territory or if something has slipped on the gluten side of things.

Was supposed to have physio last night for my trio of minor niggles (shoulder, lower-back, knee) but they had to cancel so rescheduled for tomorrow.

Anyway, last week was the usual mix of a slow 10K (Mon), mid-paced 8K (Tues), Hill-Repeats (Weds) and another slowish 9K (Thurs).

Was tight for time at the weekend yet again but got out for a longer run (16.5K) on Saturday - had intended to hit 20+K but the weather was brutal and tbh I was tired so left it at that.

Still no sign of a viable race for me - everything seems to be on Friday nights which is tricky. Also, I'm not really in peak form..not a fan of entering races half arsed.

Hopefully the physio can loosen me out a bit tomorrow - the shoulder is something I twanged during my day in hospital last month (😫), the knee thing is more transient...it's the back/hip that I'm probably more concerned about...seems to flare if I run hard and/or long so hopefully it's nothing serious

I reckon it's time to fire this up again 😂....fwiw I don't think any of these are within scope atm

5K - 18:46

10K - 39:37

Half Marathon - 1:29

Marathon - 3:26

• Advertisement

WEEK BEGINNING 22/05/2023

I see my Week Beginning naming convention has gone awry again 🙄

Another fairly solid week - an extra rest day due to physio but not in bad shape overall I think at this stage.

Monday was a slow 8K, followed up on Tuesday with a fairly solid set of 8 x 800s - normally find that workout very tiring but felt tippity top after it for a change.

Wednesday was physio day but did a short slow run anyway as a mental welfare break from the office as much as anything else.

All good at the physio I think - nothing major amiss it seems....just wear and tear really so had a good general loosen out.

Took Thursday off and did some stretching and went for 20K on the bike in the searing heat.

Saturday was less frenetic than usual chez nous so popped on the Zoom Flys for a very comfortable 20K LSR - I know I say it every week but really liking the Zoom Flys for the weekend runs.

Was at the hurling yesterday in Limerick so time for running was minimal - could possibly have gone out later (after 8:30pm) but it wasn't really a goer so gave it a miss.

Looking forward to some runs in the sun this week - will try to pencil in a mid-week 10 miler one of the evenings

5K - 18:45

10K - 39:35

Marathon - 3:25

WEEK BEGINNING 29/05/2023

Roughly 50K for the week which isn't bad for me at this time of year tbh.

No long run again but a couple of solid ~12K runs mixed in with some slower short runs and a not too shabby 10K tempo (44:25).

Got a couple of cycles in as well and even a pool swim today 😂....my swimming technique is as diabolical as ever but a good workout nonetheless.

Shoes News: have another pair of Puma Velocity Nitros on the way from ASOS....not really liking my "new" Pegasus 38s that much unfortunately...they're ok for short slow stuff but finding myself a bit achey after anything more strenuous in them.

The race calendar still isn't throwing up anything of note - there's a 10 mile on in Galbally in early July that I might do again, also considering Clonmel over Charleville as an autumn pre-DCM half

5K - 18:40

10K - 39:21

Marathon - 3:25

WEEK BEGINNING 05/06/2023

Topping up the tan and clocking up the miles 😎

Yet another standard, solid and unspectacular week of running.

Feeling a bit pooped in general... putting it down to the heat for now.

That pain in my side hasn't gone away yet either....it only surfaces on hard efforts which is a bit disconcerting...will go back to the drawing board re: stretching and foam rolling and see what happens 🤞

Highlights from the week were another decent set of 8 x 800m and a long run (21K) on Saturday afternoon in dead muggy conditions.

Was a wee bit achey after the long run so hopped on the bike yesterday for 30K during which I got soaked to the bone twice in thundery downpour.

Will be going off script probably this week ahead of our holidays, and only short runs I'd imagine for the holiday itself

5K - 18:38

10K - 39:18

Half Marathon - 1:28

Marathon - 3:22

THE LAST 3 WEEKS

Was going to abandon this blog altogether...but maybe the quasi public accountability might stop me from doing stupid stuff 😋

Anyway, just back from two weeks in France so will keep it brief...

The week leading up to the holiday was pretty standard running wise but no long run.

Probably ran about 5 times over in France.... really enjoyed the few outings...there was a lovely mix of trail, forest, picturesque villages etc so made a nice change from ring roads in Nenagh.

Did a good bit of cycling and swimming with the kids too but nothing that could be classed as cross training.

Also did one of those tree-top obstacle/zip line courses yokes as well...did a few easy ones with the lads and then had a crack at the hardest one (the ominously named 'Depart Noir') ....easily the hardest physical challenge I've done since the Achill Half Marathon about 15 years ago... miraculously avoided a DCM ending injury.

There was also a nightly soccer match on the campsite...I haven't played soccer in any meaningful way in about 15 years...spotted another couple of dads strutting about so got more involved as the evenings went by 😬😬😬....was pretty certain I twanged/strained my groin trying to tackle a French fella... literally couldn't lift my left leg for 24 hours but seems to have recovered ok 🤞

Anyway, not long back from a 10K trot and all good...nothing pinged or popped. I had pencilled in the Dundrum 10K on Wednesday or the Galbally 10 Miler at the weekend but not sure if there's much point doing either tbh

WEEK BEGINNING 03/07/2023

Not a bad return week....

Started off on Monday with a surprisingly comfortable 10K at 4:30 pace.

Followed by 2 easy paced lunchtime runs (6K and 8K).... energy levels not great tbh... possibly due to post holiday vibes (and the hangover from the seasickness on the crossing back 🤮)

Did a solid 12K on Friday in the heat (@ 4:35 pace), ahead of a long day on Saturday in Croke Park.

Yesterday then was 16K in bizarrely humid and windy conditions 🤷....was grand but glad I didn't bother doing the Galbally 10 mile.

This week is going to be a write off....having a hospital procedure tomorrow which will have me out of action for a few days 😬

Not sure if I'm ahead or behind of where I was this time last year....the prospect of long slow runs couldn't be less appealing right now so hoping my mojo returns asap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just catching up here. Just back from France myself and did one of those tree top obstacle courses as well. Did it last Thursday I think it was and I'm not sure I have recovered yet - mentally that is. Did one last year too and really not sure how I made the same mistake of agreeing to it again. I was petrified every minute of it. I hate heights and my balance & stability are pretty much non existent! My kids, well 2 of them, are at an age where they can do the really hard ones, lets just say I was quite happy to stick to the courses for 9s and under. Definitely pulled something in my shoulder.

Anyhow, sorry got distracted with the nightmare of it! Hope you had a fab holiday otherways. Glad training is going well. Sorry about the trip to Croke Park. Hope the hosp procedure & recovery went to plan.

Thanks for the reply @ariana`

I'm amazed anyone reads this blog let alone takes the time to reply 🤠

I'm still getting flashbacks from my treetop obstacle course tbh....I'll think twice about doing it again but will probably still give it a lash 😂

Were you in Domaine des Ormes by any chance? Really excellent campsite...we went to somewhere similar in Wales a couple of times but this place was superb imho.

Still getting over my hospital trip from last week.... absolutely knackered ...did a very gentle 5K on Friday and a few laps of the pitch on Saturday but it was a bit of a grind.

Got some preliminary results back today and all good in terms of "serious stuff" but a scan I had for something else captured another biggish kidney stone on the side that's been sore for a few months now 😭...the pain flares up if I'm tired, cold or if I try to run hard or long. So another journey around the block of appointments, scans and probable surgery to get it removed 😫😫😫

So all that leaves the DCM very much up in the air....will have a think about but considering returning my corporate charity entry so someone else can use it. Don't see myself being in shape for a half marathon tune up either.... whatever about jogging around Dublin I'm deffo not jogging around Charleville or Clonmel.

And that trip to Croke Park was a happy one... I'm a Mayo native but living in Limerick so long now that I don't feel too bad jumping on the bandwagon. Felt a bit sorry for Galway but that feeling passed after about 5 seconds 😂

I've ambitiously packed my gear for a lunchtime run tomorrow so will wait and see 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got my weekends mixed up, thought you were in Croker for Dub / Mayo. Lots of dissappointment for the West this year. We watched the hurling in the bar in France where there were just 2 families in maroon & white, sadly we were one of them, in fairness all the neutrals seemed to unite with us, thankfully an evening match so we could sleep off the dissappointment and the sunshine helped 😊

We went to the Vendee region (Le Litterol) this year after being in Brittany last year, the tree top obstacle course this year was Le Grand Defi - it's the largest obstacle course in Europe apparently with 38 different courses and in fairness it was very well done with the different levels but of course we didn't exactly pay attention and started on one way too hard (for me), thankfully my youngest was happy to work down the scale so we did some easier ones afterwards and left the others to it! Actually the main reason we went to Vendee was we wanted to go to Puy Du Fou - which was amazing and definitely the highlight of our trip - for a day and for a separeate night show, amazing, kids & adults loved it. I have one child in particular (11) who loves history and anything to do with myths, legends, fantasy fiction etc and his jaw was literally on the ground for all of it. If you ever get a chance it's worth the effort. Anyhow sorry this is not a holiday blog 😂

Sorry about the kidney stone. That's crap. Hope you get it sorted without too much grief.

THE LAST WEEK OR SO

Actually got back doing a few regular non specific training runs last week...nothing spectacular really but was tipping away grand.

Did a ~40K cycle as well...and felt fitness was returning ok but pain in my side gradually getting worse and working my way through strength and frequency of painkillers 🫤

In Croke Park again on Sunday for the hurling....managed to get tickets for the wife and kids as well so a great day out.

Did a solid enough 8K on Monday but pain deffo got worse after so popped in to GP yesterday...got referral letter for A&E but won't be able to go til next week as we've no childcare ATM 🙈

So no running for the foreseeable and more Difene in store until Monday probably. DCM in serious jeopardy even with a best case outcome of treatment/recovery 😕😕😕

• Advertisement

THE LAST THREE WEEKS

So ended up going to A&E with pain in my side....was convinced it was kidney stones but numerous scans and tests said otherwise...ended up in hospital for 5 days 😬😩... everything obvious has been ruled out so was discharged with no diagnosis and a prescription for horrible painkillers which did manage the pain but left me generally feeling like a zombie with a serious hangover.

So basically still in the same position I was three weeks ago.... went for acupuncture the other night which helped a bit and have an MRI on the horizon as well 😑

Anyway the current plan on my running is to run as often and as gently as I can without aggravating whatever the hell is wrong with me.

So hopefully lots of easy paced efforts to get me back in shape.

Was going to cancel my DCM altogether but might just plough on and trot around on the day

Advertisement