Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

PB or not PB...that is the question

1161718192022»

Comments

• Was managing my never ending injury reasonably ok I think – still mixing in the odd gentle run with cycling and other bits and bobs….hard to tell if it was getting better or not tbh but felt it wasn’t getting worse.

I had committed to the County 4 Mile Championships a few weeks ago – we had a bare minimum of 4 on the team so didn’t want to back out. Had expected a bit of pressure on the injury but unfortunately it has exploded in a spectacularly bad way since the end of the race. Hobbling around now – can’t put any weight at all on my left heel. I expect a long layoff on the horizon….will know more after physio on Wednesday afternoon I guess.

Anyway….will sign off with a race report :-)

LIMERICK COUNTY 4 MILE CHAMPIONSHIP

This race broke a few golden rules for me (the injury one being the obvious one) but also my general rule of thumb of not driving for a longer length of time than it takes to run the race :-)

The drive took the guts of an hour with Dromcollogher being the only town/village that I hadn’t run in before.

The weather was classic Irish summer weather – strong threat of rain/thunder, baking hot at times and lots of wasps.

Anyway, got there and parked up grand, got my number no bother and had a solid warm up. Chatted to a bunch of people I haven’t seen in a while from other clubs – like the race I did in Dundrum last month, there was a strong sense of relief that we were all back out racing and a hope that this is the beginning of the end of lockdowns etc. And in defence of my decision to race injured – maybe this was spurring me on as well to be there. Would I have gone to this in a ‘normal’ year?? With DCM on the horizon – probably not.

The route was basically a triangle with long straight sections with no real hills and a couple of longish mild drags.

The field was around 70 runners – West Limerick and Limerick AC had pretty big numbers, with a smattering of smaller numbers from a handful of other clubs.

Hit out at what felt like a comfortable pace on a long straight section into the breeze. Through the first KM in 3:40.

Passed a few fellas out and was passed by a couple who probably positioned themselves too far back at the start. The next couple of KM flew by fairly uneventfully (3:44 and 3:49). I did have a missed step/stumble which jarred my ankle a bit and seemed to set off the pain.

From there on in it descended into a bit of a slog – the heat seemed to ramp up and the group of 6 I was trying to reel in seemed to be pulling away so I was pretty much on my own. Passed another 2 or 3 I think and just ground it out (4:04, 4:02 & 4:07).

Tried to dig out a sprint finish but the barrel was well and truly empty at that stage – crossed the line in a hot sweaty mess in 25:12.

Decent enough time considering I suppose and we did win a couple of bronze team medals.

Anyway – will be off my feet for a while; hopefully back stronger in the autumn

Advertisement