Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst accident you've been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

There was a thread like this not too long ago in the Motors section I think it was (and I'm sure it's been done a few times over the years).
    So awful to hear some shocking stories. My sympathies to all of those who have lost friends/loved ones in car crashes. I can't even imagine the horror.

The threads like this always are such a reality check about mortality. You just never know......

Mine was a very minor single car bang. So insignificant compared to some.
    Thank you all for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

wasnt in it but witnessed an accident on the nenagh bypass about 14 years ago.
    A car hit a stationary truck stopped on the hard shoulder, causing the woman in the passenger seat to be horrifically injured and killed instantly.
    I pulled over to help and ended up being physically ill from what I saw. had nightmares about it for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hilarious.

:rolleyes:

I'd like to apologise to whoopsadoodles for my earlier comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Been knocked unconscious several times in random accidents.
    Only once was I hospitalised though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I was dropped on my head as a baby.

At least that's what most people suspect....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'd like to apologise to whoopsadoodles for my earlier comment

Ah don't worry. I should know better than to take these things seriously. Thank you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Worst: Car didn't break until after going through me. Bike crushed, me over the top. Awoke in James'. Might be a bit retarded now, no way to quantify.

2nd: Wales has just as ****ty roads as Ireland. Head on coming over a hump on dampish roads at 5AM. Airbags are wonderful things. Nothing but praise for the Old Bill and Welsh ambulance service.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

ED E wrote: »
    retarded

With such a high post count I'd say you could come up with a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

Back in my early twenties I shat myself about 150 yards from my house after a feed of pints and a subsequent kebab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Had my right ear cut off curtosy of my bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Broke 6 bones in a motorbike crash.
    Broke 3 ribs when I slipped on wet stairs in a nightclub.
    Cracked another rib when I slipped on gravel on my bike and broke one more when drunk and messing about one night.
    Broke 2 front teeth and was p*ssing out blood after I fell off a bridge one night.
    Have a scar on the back of my head after a bottle was broke off it in Limerick.
    Mangled a finger after catching it in a machine at work and cut the tendons in another with a glass.
    Have a few more,just can't think of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

bear1 wrote: »
    Trend suggests these are the types of threads to create these days so I'll try this one.

Is five pages a success?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 baltika2017

had a workplace accident about 2 and a half years ago whereby i inhaled a load of glass powder

recovered fully plus ****ing compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've never been in a serious crash myself but my mother was. Going past the collesium in cork city and crossing the bridge on a Sunday morning and some guy taught the light was green and caught the back of her car and she was pushed into the metal of the bridge. Asshole.

When I was a young kid, maybe about 6, I was down at the pier in the village I grew up in. Tide was out and my friend was climbing down this rope to get into some boats that had become stuck in the mud. I was leaned out over watching him, when I lost my balance and fell head first over the edge. There would've been nothing below me but the mud or the side of a boat.

About a little more than halfway down, I managed to grab on to the rope and right myself, sliding down and burning the hell out of my palms (thankfully no scars).

Definitely the closest I've come to almost certain death - it would've been.. probably a 20 foot drop to nothing but hard mud, headfirst.

Recently I found out that my mum actually saw it happen - she was at the top of the road and said she saw the blur of someone she knew was me falling over the edge and that it was the worst few seconds of her life, as she had no idea whether I was alive or dead.

Probably not the most serious injury I've had, but most definitely the closest I've come to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also my friend was in the Gaeltacht and was going down a hill with a girl on the handlebars and her foot got caught on the front wheel. My friend went over the handle Bars and his teeth hit the road and only one winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also my friend was in the Gaeltacht and was going down a hill with a girl on the handlebars and her foot got caught on the front wheel. My friend went over the handle Bars and his teeth hit the road and only one winner.

It wasnt the ride he had in mind was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

When I was 19 I had been seeing a girl and we we're going out one Thursday night all excited I was ready a bit early so I went for a quick spin on my bike just to kill a bit of time, I was just ridding around when a drunken driver came straight out of a small side road without stopping and I had no chance to react or do anything, he ploughed me over and I was in a bit of a mess, I ended up losing a full leg right from the hip, nackered my back cut my finger ends quite bad and cut my face almost losing my nose, he carried on but crashed his car into a wall a little bit past me but he had no injuries, I was in hospital for a good bit and the girl visited me for a while but dumped me, I ended up marrying a nurse from the ward I was on and we are still married 30 years later so it wasn't all bad.

This would be a fantastic romantic movie. Ya could make a fortune Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    This would be a fantastic romantic movie. Ya could make a fortune Pedro.

Thanks but I must be the most unromantic person there is but I do understand that the story sounds good and tbh I wouldn't change a thing, I had good sergery, minimal scaring on my face and losing a leg never bothered me a bit, I know it sounds corny but just thought feck it and moved on, we have had a great marriege, nothings perfect in life but I think I've been very lucky with a good wife, 2 kids that are grown now and doing good, they say everything happens for a reason, I'm not sure about that but you have to make the most of what you have. as for making a good film the hunnymoon was mad, we were in a terrible car crash in Spain, we were burgled and lots of other stuff that even on AH you wouldn't believe me, two weeks of madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

Apologies it's an oldish thread. Back in 1977 during the early days of my primary school education, my father was meant to leave me outside the gates, but unbeknownst to my Mum he used to leave me halfway, as the rush hour traffic was horrendous.

Anyway on the walk to school, was run over at the zebra crossing, impact at about 20mph and bounced off the bonnet of a car and landed on the opposite carriageway and very narrowly missed having my head being crushed by the front wheel of an Ulster bus double decker.

Was out cold and woke up after about a minute later surrounded with all the usual 1970's old biddies muttering and the car driver slapping me on the face, trying to wake me up. When I came round, somewhat blurry and semi coherent, he immediately picked me up and said he'd take me to the hospital - no ringing an ambulance, the police nothing.

On the way to the hospital that took about 25 minutes he kept repeating time and time again, something I didn't understand at the time, but did so later on in life - it was just repeated continuously "oh Jesus Christ, a didn't see you there, oh fcuk fcuk, what the hell I'm gonna do, I've no insurance, aw Jesus Christ what the fcuk am I gonna do".

Eventually he arrived outside the A&E, grabbed a wheelchair, plonked me in it and literally pushed me through the electric doors and the momentum took me into the main area whilst he shouted at a nurse "alright there luv, will you take care of him, will be back in a minute, just parking the car". That was the last to be seen of him.

Had a little wait in A&E then my mother turned up perplexed on how I got run over so far from the school. A bit later was getting about 10 stitches on the head and had a bit of a grin hearing my mother bollocking my Dad out of it as he arrived. Very unusual for the times that was in it.

Anyway broke my leg, couple of bones, stitches in head and arms. Think I got a week off school but at least from then on got a lift from my Mum to and from school, and remained in one piece for the rest of my educational years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd say your dad suffered a worse fate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

While this thread is filled with awful accidents and the like, it's been nice to read so many posts by people who stopped to help people, even if just to hold someone's hand or comfort someone.

I have been involved in one RTC and while there was witnesses to the collision itself and the immediate aftermath, nobody stopped to ask me if I was okay, nobody left their details (to be contacted by the gardai) and nobody hung around for the gardai to arrive. I was very misfortunate in that the driver who caused the RTC spun a fairytale to the gardai and his insurance company (blamed me even though he was 100% at fault) and the fact that no witnesses left details etc made it a very long drawn out experience to sort out.
    It all worked out in the end but I would implore anyone who witnesses an accident (of any description) to hang around for the gardai to arrive or at least make the effort to leave their details with the right people. And if you see someone lying on the road, if you're not in a rush somewhere and not in the way of emergency services, stop and see if the person needs some help (I know I could have done with some).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

erica74 wrote: »
    While this thread is filled with awful accidents and the like, it's been nice to read so many posts by people who stopped to help people, even if just to hold someone's hand or comfort someone.

I have been involved in one RTC and while there was witnesses to the collision itself and the immediate aftermath, nobody stopped to ask me if I was okay, nobody left their details (to be contacted by the gardai) and nobody hung around for the gardai to arrive. I was very misfortunate in that the driver who caused the RTC spun a fairytale to the gardai and his insurance company (blamed me even though he was 100% at fault) and the fact that no witnesses left details etc made it a very long drawn out experience to sort out.
    It all worked out in the end but I would implore anyone who witnesses an accident (of any description) to hang around for the gardai to arrive or at least make the effort to leave their details with the right people. And if you see someone lying on the road, if you're not in a rush somewhere and not in the way of emergency services, stop and see if the person needs some help (I know I could have done with some).

Someone called to my mother a while after my sister died in a rta and was able to tell her that he held her hand and said the act of contrition in her ear as she took her last breath. Her last words were told to my mother and her last words were looking for her....it gave her some comfort at least to know she didnt die alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

her last words were looking for her....

Heart wrenching stuff. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Heart wrenching stuff. :(

Yeah could see the poor man was torn too. He wanted to know if she wanted to know and she did.....they cried together....her for the child she had known for so many years and the woman she never would.....him for the stranger whose hand he had held as she breathed her last.
    I often see him....he doesnt know me....years have passed but Ill never forget him or the kindness he showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

I remember reading this thread back in January but had to reread it now as the stories are just so interesting, even if a lot are extremely sad and morbid.

I'm doing a lot of driving for work and have been very lucky so far. I came across a bad accident one morning just before the tunnel leading onto M7 from M9. Must have only happened as no emergency services on scene. Two cars scattered across both lanes of motorway. People were forcing their way around it by driving in hard shoulder and in the median. I continued on aswell. Looking back now, I should have stopped. Even to wave down the traffic up the road so they'd slow down. It's funny how we see what others are doing and just copy their behaviour.

A lad in my year in school lost his brother when he was 13 or 14 in a very bad accident. The brother was 18 or 19 and was on way home with some friends from a night out. Driver wasn't drinking and was only a few minutes from home. Had just dropped off one of his friends and hit a wall on a bendy country road. All dead. Farmer found them early next morning. Two of the lads in the car had managed to crawl away from the car, but had died out on the road overnight. Must have been an awful scene to come across. I'll never forget coming into school and friends of the lad in our year telling teachers and students. An eery silence seemed to grip the school over the days that followed. So hard on the families and friends.

These stories really should encourage us to take more care and look out for one another on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Most of the accidents that grind in my mind have involved motorbikes. Most. My best friend headed off quick to go get some cold minerals for us. He hit a milk tanker and died instantly. He was 19. RIP John, you were my best mate..My kids wonder why I won't let them buy bikes. I still can't look his Da in the eye.. It was my idea to go for drinks..

Another chap overtook us in our van, before the brow of a hill. We were doing the limit. Kawasaki he had, It's burned in my head. A car came over the hill and he hit it head on at about 100kph. I sat there holding his hand while he expired. Never forgotten either. Another night, me and the wife were off going to the pictures. We came on an awful crash just outside the town - a car had hit a taxi. I went down into the ditch to the car driver, his car had flipped onto its roof but was pretty intact. I crawled down and got to the driver, asked was he ok? No reply. I reached in and turned his head and oh f##k me it's a friend I was talking to 2 hours earlier. I walked back to our car, got in and drove back to town to the Garda barracks, reported the crash and went home, cried a bit and got locked. He worked too late, always. I used to always get on his case about staying late..wife, 3 kids.. fcuk sake. That Garda I reported it to and me have been friends since. Because he was so sound about how he dealt with it.

Jesus Christ, the roads have some stuff to answer for. I could go on all night too. I think most Irish lads could. We need better roads. The ones we have are unfit for purpose, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Agreed.
    I learnt a valuable lesson re being sleepy whilst diving.
    Years ago I was driving from frankfurt to Charleroi through the night so I could make a flight.
    Getting close to the border I took a wrong exit and kept going eventually getting lost. No map or GPS.
    I just couldn't get my bearings, luckily I ended up stopped at a junction and asked another driver who told me I was in Belgium but heading back towards Germany. Pointed me in the direction of the motorway and away I went.
    It must have been around 3am and the road was just empty and only the motorway lights as a source to stay awake.
    Next thing I know I was on the grass median and heading straight for the center divider.
    Instinct hit and I swerved back to the right and was able to coast into an emergency spot.
    Without knowing it I had fallen asleep.
    Unreal how it hits as I thought it just involved you slowly closing your eyes.
    Hotels booked from then on and pull over the moment I feel weary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the roads have some stuff to answer for. I could go on all night too. I think most Irish lads could. We need better roads. The ones we have are unfit for purpose, pretty much.

You've lost some good friends through traffic accidents and you have my deepest sympathy but the roads aren't the problem, its the people behind the wheel are the issue.

A friends older brother died in a car crash years ago, decapitated in the crash. Racing his mate on a back road on the way home from a night out. Probably had drink on him too.

He was 27 with two young kids. He was sound and always made me tea and toast. To this day I remember him everytime I have a slice of toast.

Advertisement