Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst accident you've been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I've been lucky in that I've never had any major accidents.

I did come across one on the way to work one morning though.

6am and I'm following an artic on a single carriageway. He brakes quite hard and I stop behind him. On the opposite side of the road is an Audi that has ploughed into a mini digger, so much so that the digger had been moved some 30 feet.

Four occupants in the car, three dead. Fourth occupant is struggling to breath so we wrapped a blanket up as a support to his neck but he's not doing good.

It felt like the emergency services took ages to get to us but in reality it was about six minutes.

Police turned up shortly afterwards and told all of us (there were a few more of us stopped by then) to clear the scene without taking any of our details.

Carried on to work as normal and got grief for being late.

Read in the paper the following week that the fourth had died at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Peugot 106 v Articulated Lorry.

2 dead.
    sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

are you posting from the afterlife?
    boards has gone underworld

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hilarious.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

Never been in one myself, but my mother nearly died from one. From embarrassment!

She was reversing into a parking space and she hit the curb 3 times. She was getting more annoyed each time so by the 3rd time she was getting fairly mad. Then to make matters worse there was a guy in the car in the space behind her who started gesturing at her! So she rolled down the window to see what his problem was. "You keep reversing into my car!"

There was no damage done and the man couldn't have been nicer about it. He even carried my mother's cello for her to her classroom (which my mum was very annoyed by - she was mortified and wanted to get away from this man as soon as possible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Myself and GF was involved in a very serious accident while on holidays in NZ a few years ago

we were driving in a hired car in a very remote part of the north island
    the car skidded on some farm effluent spilled on the road
    went across the road, through the fence, hit a few small bushes, rolled down an 80 degree hill 5/6 times at least and came to rest against a tree
    car was destroyed
    strangely the airbags didn't deploy. seatbelts 100% saved us both

we had just got a fill of fuel and there was liquid dripping out of the back of the car and I was full sure it was petrol.
    I dragged as much of our stuff out of the car as I could in 1 minute in case it exploded.
    after 10 minutes of looking at the car I went over and tasted the liquid.

we had just gone shopping and all the food, and beer was smashed. It was the beer that was dripping out. the inside of the car had egg and veg/fruit smashed every where.

almost ruined our holiday. and lives

the local farmer whose field we ended up in was so nice. put us up for the night, gave us dinner, brought us to the train station next day

wait, I can't post a photo?

http://i.imgur.com/0G91xYu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wasn't the worst accident in the world but in 2009 I had a shunt where a loaded ford transit came out a side road without stopping and hit me as I drove along main road pushed my car across the road to the other ditch.

All soft tissue injuries but I damaged two discs in my neck, one of which can be seen on MRI and it presses onto my spinal cord coving all sorts of pains and sensations in my right arm. Permanent debilitating injury, had to quit my job and look for other work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Driving 120 km/h on the motorway in Holland and getting a double sized mattress on the front window wasnt fun.
    Only had a split second to react but was just enough to avoid that thing ending up in the middle of the screen. It now caught most of the right side/window pillar.
    Only a small dent and a broken mirror as a result.

Had a few scraps with more damage but they never had the potential to take me out of here. That mattress had.

Secure your loads, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Caught under the wheel of a tractor

Warning: not for the squeamish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

are you posting from the afterlife?
    boards has gone underworld

Seriously, think a bit before you post. If the poster has been in an accident that involved 2 people dying, maybe joking about it isn't going to be the best course to take. And don't use the 'Ah, sure it's AH' defence…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Had a night terror episode as an infant, our car was hit by a drunk driver on the way to the hospital.

I was on a bus in Wales that crashed head on into another bus but thankfully at low speed and I was uninsured.

Had many motorbike accident but the worst was almost losing my left arm. Major surgery later saved it but still pains all the time.

Was a passenger in a car that went off a cliff up the mountains and landed inches from the river Liffey. Many anxious days later I was very lucky to be actually able to walk from the hospital.

My oddest one was another passenger one, the car was rear ended. I was in the middle of treatment for cancer at the time and had a broviac (tubes that go into your chest for receiving chemo). What ever way I was thrown about the car it ripped the tubes out of my chest, Did even bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

12 year old me vs car.

Got some pins and plates, missed 2 months of school.

jimbis wrote: »
    Had a night terror episode as an infant, our car was hit by a drunk driver on the way to the hospital.

Was that the narrative of your night terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

My worst was in a rally car back in 2008. About half way through the stage there was a fast right hand bend over a little bit of a bump, there was supposed to be a round bale at the bend to slow down the cars but on the first run over the stage it wasn't there so we removed it from the notes.. Unfortunately, it was there on the second run and I wasn't expecting it.. We came into the corner flat in 6th gear doing about 120mph which would have been fine had the layout of the bend been the same as the first run but because the bale was now there it pushed the car into gravel on the other side of the road.. We hit one of Galway's finest stone walls head on and ended up on top of it. Had it been any other car, I would have died there and then but thankfully ended up with a badly bruised back and neck. That put an end to the rallying for a while...

Seriously, think a bit before you post. If the poster has been in an accident that involved 2 people dying, maybe joking about it isn't going to be the best course to take. And don't use the 'Ah, sure it's AH' defence…

Leave it to the mods mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭LCD

This thread is scary!

Fell off my bike, lost my top lip, 2 complete teeth & the bone under the gum, chipped a load more teeth. Completely missing 3/4 hours of my life. My helmet was fine.

I now however a perfect upper lip, thank you plastic surgeon. I should also have 2 new teeth in the next month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thankfully, I've only had two near-misses.
    Once was when I was about nine or ten, we were all in the car going to Mass. On a stretch of straight road with high walls on either side, we saw tractor coming towards us weaving all over the road. Time just completely slowed done as we waited for it to hit us. Luckily, it hit the wing and not the main body of car. The driver was drunk as a skunk but sly enough to head straight for the nearest pub, so he couldn't be breathalysed. In the months that followed, he and some of his pals started driving slowly up and down the road outside our house to intimidate my parents into not taking him to court.

The second near-miss was on a bus on the motorway in Wales, a car had a blow-out and went right into the side of the bus. Left a massive dent in the side of the bus but no-one was injured. Luckily the car didn't go into the front of the bus, or hit another car.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Fell out of a tree when I was 6. It was this huge cypress tree in my local park that was surrounded by raised roots. All the kids in the neighbourhood used to climb it and it was a pretty easy one - lots of knots to use as hand and foot holds.

I was climbing up it and all of a sudden the knot I was holding started to come away from the tree. I remember in slow motion frantically looking to see if there was anything else to hold on to and coming to the realisation that I was going to fall. I don't remember the actual fall and I was knocked out on impact with the roots at the bottom. My prevailing memory is waking up and seeing about 20 terrified faces gathered around me (every kid in the neighbourhood) they were all chalk white cos apparently I looked like I was dead.

I actually got up and walked back to my house (bawling) and my poor mother got the shock of her life - there was blood pouring out of me, my clothes were soaking and bright red and I had left a trail all the way across the road and up the drive. Luckily the local GP was able to patch me up and I didn't need to go to hospital. Still have a big scar on my head but luckily it's on the back so covered by my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Luckily, I walked away from my worst one with a bit of shock more than anything, but reading this thread only serves to prove I got very lucky. I was driving up to Loch Lomond in Scotland one summer and had to go through Glasgow. Anyone that's driven through Glasgow, knows the god awful motorway running through the city, anyway I had just got to the part where the motorway becomes 5 lanes, 3 lanes are joined by two merging lanes. It was a wet day and a blue Z4 in front clipped what looked the corner of a wet cardboard box. It wasn't until it came flying towards the windscreen that I realised it was carrying more weight than a piece of wet cardboard.
    Turns out it was the corner of a wooden pallet and it cam straight through the windscreen, the glass shattered and I couldn't see out of it. I was doing about 70mph in the 4th lane. I remember going into auto pilot mode and somehow making my way over to the hard shoulder amazed I hadn't crashed. Turns out I had gone Ace Ventura style out the window and the car behind was also hit by debris so she had slowed down and moved when I moved across the lanes.

Weirdly the one I still get flashbacks and nightmares over is a bicycle accident when I was a kid. We were absolutely belting down a hill repeatedly, slowly making our way back up and then bomb back down again. On the way back up for the last climb the chain broke, I lost balance and smashed my face off the floor, nothing more than cuts and bruises, but I keep fretting over if that had been downhill.

A drop in the ocean compared to stories on her so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was in a car with two friends that went under a lorry one night 27 years ago. My two friends died and i suffered broken bones and scars but lived to tell the tale. Suffered mentally for many a day and a lot of sleepless nights probably because I survived and they didn't. Had swapped seats with the back seat passenger a few minutes before the crash. God love them RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

jimbis wrote: »

I was on a bus in Wales that crashed head on into another bus but thankfully at low speed and I was uninsured.

Had many motorbike accident but the worst was almost losing my left arm. Major surgery later saved it but still pains all the time.

Was a passenger in a car that went off a cliff up the mountains and landed inches from the river Liffey. Many anxious days later I was very lucky to be actually able to walk from the hospital.

My oddest one was another passenger one, the car was rear ended. I was in the middle of treatment for cancer at the time and had a broviac (tubes that go into your chest for receiving chemo). What ever way I was thrown about the car it ripped the tubes out of my chest, Did even bleed.

Jonah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

A couple of very minor car crashes, touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Candie wrote: »
    A taxi mounted the footpath I was walking on in Oxford years go, running over my foot and putting me in a cast and on crutches for a long while. The whole thing was witnessed by a local solicitor, who quickly settled a bit of compensation for me.

I took my Granny on holiday to celebrate her getting the all-clear from cancer with the proceeds, although she doesn't know that part.

You'd think you'd tell her she's got the all clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Thread has jinxed me. Was in a crash on the way home. Thank God for dashcams...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Let's see its been a few.

Passenger in a civic which rolled.
    Passenger in head on airbags out good bang and burnt from them also.

Driving spun out black ice down embankment into a tree backwards beside a swollen river and not one poxy airbag deployed. Car destroyed only one window survived.
    Jumped out passenger side as driver side was mangled into tree.

Driving hit by a tipper and lifted up land then brought 15 feet dragged by it. Car badly damaged but driving ok.

Few others .

Winterlong wrote: »
    Thread has jinxed me. Was in a crash on the way home. Thank God for dashcams...
    Care to share http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057386855

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Never been in an accident myself. I did arrive on the scene just after a fatal accident, young man dead on the road, driver of car that hit him unhurt but hysterical. Young mans girlfriend hysterical. My husband put his coat over the lad and held his hand until emergency services arrived and I just sat with the two girls. It was a horrific experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Exited through the windscreen in a head on crash (us doing about 35 mph them doing about 40) back when not wearing a seatbelt wasn't too unusual. Nothing more than a few grazes from the glass somehow.

Narrowly missed out on going fishing with cousins the day their boat sank and they and my uncle drowned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

eviltwin wrote: »
    Never been in an accident myself. I did arrive on the scene just after a fatal accident, young man dead on the road, driver of car that hit him unhurt but hysterical. Young mans girlfriend hysterical. My husband put his coat over the lad and held his hand until emergency services arrived and I just sat with the two girls. It was a horrific experience.

Wow. Well done to you and your husband - respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭enricoh

Oul folks live along the old dublin Belfast road (pre motorways). About 30 years ago there was a crash with a minibus going to a disco n a truck n a good few killed iirc.
    The oul boy went out after hearing the smash to a scene of carnage. He picked up what he thought was a white glove and it turned out to be someone's hand :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Young and stupid and not paying attention, driving a polo, ran into a Suzuki swift (older version) man driving, 3 kids in back seat and a boot full of fireworks...I was able to drive the polo away, albeit the front was completely smashed in. Suzuki just fell to pieces!

Advertisement